Question Question about Monk Stances as feats and retraining.

So I'm a returning player trying to figure out a 12 Monk/8 Fighter build, so I can run around with whatever weapon I want centered. I've get enough monk levels that I only need to pick up the Grandmaster Stances as a feat, but there's one problem: I only get Master Stances granted to me at level 20, and my last nonepic feat is at 18 (I'm leveling 2 Monk, 8 Fighter, 10 Monk). What I want to do is take Master Stances as soon as it is available as a feat, long before I'm granted it, take Grandmaster Stances as my level 18 feat, then retrain the feat spent on Master Stances for something else once I'm granted it for free at level 20. But I'm not sure if this work, since then I'd technically have Grandmaster BEFORE Master in my leveling order- does anyone know if can do do this?

My only other option would be to take some Monk levels earlier so I'm granted Master Stances by level 18, but then the build becomes nonfunctional till level 20 since I need 8 Fighter to take the appropriate enhancements to be centered with any weapon. That would just be a huge PITA.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
    So I'm a returning player trying to figure out a 12 Monk/8 Fighter build, so I can run around with whatever weapon I want centered. I've get enough monk levels that I only need to pick up the Grandmaster Stances as a feat, but there's one problem: I only get Master Stances granted to me at level 20, and my last nonepic feat is at 18 (I'm leveling 2 Monk, 8 Fighter, 10 Monk). What I want to do is take Master Stances as soon as it is available as a feat, long before I'm granted it, take Grandmaster Stances as my level 18 feat, then retrain the feat spent on Master Stances for something else once I'm granted it for free at level 20. But I'm not sure if this work, since then I'd technically have Grandmaster BEFORE Master in my leveling order- does anyone know if can do do this?

My only other option would be to take some Monk levels earlier so I'm granted Master Stances by level 18, but then the build becomes nonfunctional till level 20 since I need 8 Fighter to take the appropriate enhancements to be centered with any weapon. That would just be a huge PITA.
    That won't work.
    You'd have to take GM stance at 21.

Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    That won't work.
    You'd have to take GM stance at 21.

Geoff.
    Ah, shucks. Well, I have an epic feat slot to spare. Thanks for the fast reply.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
    My only other option would be to take some Monk levels earlier so I'm granted Master Stances by level 18, but then the build becomes nonfunctional till level 20 since I need 8 Fighter to take the appropriate enhancements to be centered with any weapon.
    You've discovered the fundamental drawback to these monk / kensei mixes; they're kind of a PITA to level. My suggestion would be to either drop monk lvls (e.g., monk 6 / ftr 12 / <splash> 2) so you can acquire your feats sooner (the drawback being you have to take Master & GM of Forms as chosen feats); or level up as a typical unarmed build before swapping to weapons at epic lvls.