Community Member

Default Mabar Drop Rate Speculation, Can Anyone Confirm?

Went out to Mabar with my cleric last night. I'm a premium first life new player. A barbarian 2nd lifer friend of mine reported getting about 3-4x the number of drops that I did (we were both soloing). What I suspect is that we've got something like the Pirate hats implemented, just without the hats. TRs, VIPs, and players who have been around longer get a higher percent chance of a drop per undead. Any comments? This isn't a complaint btw, I think it is entirely appropriate for a company to reward its better customers during its annual events.

Quote Originally Posted by ValariusK View Post
    Went out to Mabar with my cleric last night. I'm a premium first life new player. A barbarian 2nd lifer friend of mine reported getting about 3-4x the number of drops that I did (we were both soloing). What I suspect is that we've got something like the Pirate hats implemented, just without the hats. TRs, VIPs, and players who have been around longer get a higher percent chance of a drop per undead. Any comments? This isn't a complaint btw, I think it is entirely appropriate for a company to reward its better customers during its annual events.
    Interesting thought, but that isn't the case.

Level 21+ characters have a slightly higher chance at drops than Heroic level characters, but otherwise everyone's on an even keel.

When you do get a drop, higher-level characters are more likely to get the better-paying ingredients (Chipped Skulls and Cursed Fingerbones) than low-level characters. This progression increases slightly at each level from 1-30.

Who does your taxes?

Interesting observation. Would need a larger sample size to really get an idea, but I had a similar experience last night with two of my own chars. 3rd life level 8 char was racking in drops and a first life level 15 char seemed to be getting a lot less. I chalked it up to luck at the time and I only spent about an hour and half total between the two chars.

Who does your taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post

Level 21+ characters have a slightly higher chance at drops than Heroic level characters, but otherwise everyone's on an even keel.

When you do get a drop, higher-level characters are more likely to get the better-paying ingredients (Chipped Skulls and Cursed Fingerbones) than low-level characters. This progression increases slightly at each level from 1-30.
    Ninja'd by a dev!

Interesting thought, but that isn't the case.Level 21+ characters have a slightly higher chance at drops than Heroic level characters, but otherwise everyone's on an even keel.When you do get a drop, higher-level characters are more likely to get the better-paying ingredients (Chipped Skulls and Cursed Fingerbones) than low-level characters. This progression increases slightly at each level from 1-30.
    And what of the motes drop rate for using a Draught of Midnight? I bought one earlier (which cost 500 motes), ran through the Delera's quest chain killing everything, and only got 213 motes. That's a net loss of 287.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzly_Bear View Post
    And what of the motes drop rate for using a Draught of Midnight? I bought one earlier (which cost 500 motes), ran through the Delera's quest chain killing everything, and only got 213 motes. That's a net loss of 287.
    Yeah, the draughts are pretty useless. And by pretty, I mean very.

Droprates as usual are abyssmal.

I easily killed about 100 undead before I got my first drop... I really wonder - how the heck are droprates calculated?

I had phases, where I killed lvl20+ Shadar kai and got a drop at almost every 2nd kill. Then there are series of ten kills until the next drop.

Overall the drop rate is very well in my book. IF you have the right class to farm that is ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    People are absolutely working on it at the moment.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by Nestroy View Post
    Droprates as usual are abyssmal.

I easily killed about 100 undead before I got my first drop... I really wonder - how the heck are droprates calculated?
    It's how randomness works. with a 3 or 4 or 8 or 10% chance per mob it's statistically very likely that you'll get some long runs of nothing.

I think all MMO's should have a section in their manual and every one of them should get this guy to write it:
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba.../#.UmrP7hBoEcA

Case in point I got ONE key last night, and because I had deleted about 50 of them from last time on a mule that needed bank space (and I was too lazy to go get a bag) I am really feeling that random generator with keys. While someone I spend most of the night mote farming with got 5 or 6. They've lowered the drop rate for sure.
    Last edited by IronClan; 10-25-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Add in Turbine's RND and it sure is.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Add in Turbine's RND and it sure is.
    Don't know how many times you've posted this Missing, and we keep having the same argument. Your problem with their RND is that you expect even/average/fair results from random. Check out the link in my previous post for why that expectation is wrong (and also very common).

Now is where you bring up the fact that a computer based random number generator is technically not able to be perfectly random it can only imperfectly simulate randomness. (yep we've done this before) and you hang your hat on this 0.08% (or whatever it is, it's been a long time since first year C++) deviation from true randomness as though it is worthy of being discussed.

The great thing about randomness in games is it's incredibly easy to test. and every system in DDO that I've ever seen seems to check out.

Clustering (strings of good luck)? Check
    Rarefaction (strings of no luck)? Check
    Some people seeming to have more luck than others? Check
    People posting to the forums showing obvious selection and confirmation bais leading them to the stubborn but totally unscientific insistence that something is wrong with the games RND? Check
    Oh and I guess I should add basic unfakable unbiased unavoidably scientific mathematical comparison? Also Check for what that's worth lol.
    Last edited by IronClan; 10-25-2013 at 10:54 PM.
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

I'm averaging about 1,000 motes per hour on my level 18 monk, playing solo. That's approximately what I got last year under similar circumstances.
    There is no free lunch.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Don't know how many times you've posted this Missing, and we keep having the same argument. Your problem with their RND is that you expect even/average/fair results from random. Check out the link in my previous post for why that expectation is wrong (and also very common).
    I expect streaks without a doubt, but consistent streaks? No, that is wrong.
    Real random can be rather very lopsided and I expect that.

However what you always fail to accept: Turbine claims that their model is flat. That means it should be fair. Unless they've changed their stance on this in the last.. 4 years.
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 10-26-2013 at 01:22 AM.

I did some pretty extensive testing on this last year. In my Mabar Guide (see sig) you can see my data. Anecdotally it seems like my higher-level characters get slightly more drops, but I haven't tried to compile any new data on this yet. This is mainly because trying to get solo kills and count them precisely is usually easier on a melee like an assassin and it is tedious work to get a significant data set. I might do a 100 kill run on my level 26 assassin at some point this year, but I have so many activities I want to do in this game right now, that it has been difficult enough to simply update my Mabar Guide.

Actually, my favorite character to farm motes has traditionally been an arcane caster of some variety. This year I have been using a warforged sor18 (air savant). I get at least 3000 motes/hour when farming with very little effort. It's actually a little addicting, even though I am earning far more motes than I actually need.

I love Mabar.

Now is where you bring up the fact that a computer based random number generator is technically not able to be perfectly random it can only imperfectly simulate randomness. (yep we've done this before) and you hang your hat on this 0.08% (or whatever it is, it's been a long time since first year C++) deviation from true randomness as though it is worthy of being discussed.

The great thing about randomness in games is it's incredibly easy to test. and every system in DDO that I've ever seen seems to check out.

Clustering (strings of good luck)? Check
    Rarefaction (strings of no luck)? Check
    Some people seeming to have more luck than others? Check
    People posting to the forums showing obvious selection and confirmation bais leading them to the stubborn but totally unscientific insistence that something is wrong with the games RND? Check
    Oh and I guess I should add basic unfakable unbiased unavoidably scientific mathematical comparison? Also Check for what that's worth lol.

You sir can write all scientific facts all you want, reality is after 3 years of playing 35% and more of UMD rolls are 1, 35% are 2-4, and only 30% of them are 4+ , and i use UMD 100+ times per day, there was only one time i rolled 20 2 times in row, but 2 or 3 times 1 is every day reality. I know for a fact rolls are rigged for some of the features in game.
    Last edited by Glad; 10-28-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    Thelanis: Gladnadjeva Limeny Bimbamboom Cutyslice