Community Member

Default Purple Dragon Knight Fighter/Paladin multiclass viability question

Hi,

So as PDK is able to use Charisma instead of strength as his main damage modifier, would multiclassing as a paladin be a good idea ? All that Charisma you have can be put to good use on the paladin's abilities, and having immunities, lay on hands and Turn Undead would be quite useful, no ?

Any advice on build or build ideas are welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke2000 View Post
    Hi,

So as PDK is able to use Charisma instead of strength as his main damage modifier, would multiclassing as a paladin be a good idea ? All that Charisma you have can be put to good use on the paladin's abilities, and having immunities, lay on hands and Turn Undead would be quite useful, no ?

Any advice on build or build ideas are welcome...
    Very Good Synergy betweem PDK and Paladin.

I will be interested in making some hybrid of PDK and Eldritch knight when U20 rolls out.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

The problem with going CHA-based on a pally is Divine Might is now an insightful STR bonus; you're missing out on a major DPS bonus if you got the CHA-to-dmg route. You also can't take the THF chain or Overwhelming Crit if you go for low STR (I'm presuming you plan on Power Atk, at least). Sure, the higher saves & extra LoH healing are nice, but not enough to offset the DPS loss, IMHO.

Where I actually think PDK will be interesting is a ftr / sorc hybrid: caster-focused, but with just enough melee on the side w/Eldritch Knight to boost it. Especially if EK strikes can proc Shiradi effects.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

The PDK's CHA instead of STR would seem to have three obvious classes that it would be useful for: Bards, Paladin and Sorc. However...

Bards would seem like a natural mix with PDK, but the new Bard Rage is STR only.

Paladins during the Enhancement changes stupidly got the Divine Might changed from a straight damage bonus to a bonus to STR modification. This now means that if you want to do more damage, you need to invest into STR than before.

So that really just leaves Sorcs that invest heavily in the Eldritch Knight tree as the only CHA based class that can use the PDK without gimping themselves when it comes to damage.

As a long time Paladin builder, I agree with Unbongwah and Oradafu, the charisma to damage of a Purple Dragon Knight does not work well for a Paladin, as much as you would think it would. To reiterate, the main issues are:
    1) You need strength to qualify for overwhelming critical, which you are going to want to have.
    2) You won't be able to take advantage of the Divine Might enhancement, which adds a significant amount to your strength/DPS.
    3) You are limiting yourself to a limited number of weapon types.

The loss in DPS is not worth the better LoH and higher saves, IMHO. Your DPS will be much more important, even on a tank build. If you want to make a Purple Dragon Knight Paladin, just ignore the "Cormyrean Knight Training" enhancement.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

Community Member

My brain is going to explode now. I have tried multiclassing fighters for the past few days, and turns out that the most effective combo for Fighter that I have found is 2 levels into paladin for the passive bonuses and the rest into the fighter. Go 2-handed weapons and take the Kensai feats to 1 tier below the capstone and the rest in the paladin defensive tree for extra LOH and the rest into the non-shield bonuses to AC and defence etc.

Makes it very good spec for soloing.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Divine might is a SHORT TERM, LIMITED USE bonus to your Str based on your cha mod

So say a 30 Charisma (since your str focused) that's a +5 Mod so it adds plus 5 to your Str for 2 extra damage and to-hit

Going Cha focused allows you to crank your saves to the max throw in some evasion and you'd be invincible.

Not saying Cha based is the best uber option never pick Str...its just an alternative the existence of Divine might doesn't make that suddenly not true.

As for Bard...its not great for a Warchanter but a Spellsinger would LOVE to have a massive Cha bonus. Too bad they casn't multi with Pally as well.

Lastly is the EK Sorc and mixing wiht PDK is frankly the only way an EK will be effective is with Cha to atk/dmg so be prepared to see a bunch of PDK EKs in the future unless the devs realize that having EVERYONE be the same race is boring and give EKs INt/Cha to Atk/DMG....than we'll see so fun and varied builds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by oradafu View Post
    The PDK's CHA instead of STR would seem to have three obvious classes that it would be useful for: Bards, Paladin and Sorc. However...
    Ok, what about Favored Soul?
    On first glance it appears there would be a good mix there too as well.
    After a little Tolkien I am usually up for anything.

Also in Mabar tonight I met someone playing a PDK with 1 level fighter, 14 levels Cleric.
    Said he was loving it.
    Allowed him to be a good spell-caster, with good turning abilities etc and running damage off of the Charisma allowed him to be a decent fighter when needed too.
    After a little Tolkien I am usually up for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Divine might is a SHORT TERM, LIMITED USE bonus to your Str based on your cha mod
    True, for the Paladin Turning-fueled version.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    So say a 30 Charisma (since your str focused) that's a +5 Mod so it adds plus 5 to your Str for 2 extra damage and to-hit
    However, 30 CHA = +10 CHA modifier = +10 Insight bonus to STR = +5 extra damage and to-hit.
    On Thelanis: Hallelujah (Spellsinger) - Jerryrigged Juggernaut (caster FvS) - Sepulchral (Druid) - Chopchopchop (Warlock) - Alleyshadow (retired gimped monkcher). Formerly on Keeper : Misericordia (Thug) - Mumbo Jumbo (Battle Caster) - Infernal Can (WF Kinda Cleric) - Halleluyah (Melee Spellsinger).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Can View Post
    True, for the Paladin Turning-fueled version.

However, 30 CHA = +10 CHA modifier = +10 Insight bonus to STR = +5 extra damage and to-hit.
    And "short term, limited use" = 20 minutes between shrines. Or to put it another way, "always on". And 30 is a low estimate, 34 should be relatively easy. And the bonus allows your str to reach much higher levels making tactical feats much more effective (34 cha = +6 to tactical DCs, +9 damage with a 2H weapon).