Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Items

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

The great sword is merely suboptimal and bad, but the docent is downright awful.

The augments look potentially useful, but reserving judgment until I see numbers on the heal thingy.
    It's definitely an N-word.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    Your feedback is worse. Very few people in this thread actually say *why* they don't like the loot.
    Because it ssucks?
    Are more words really needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post

These are what Squeak dropped in the Dojo. The sword is obviously from A Study in Sable and the Docent from Brothers of the Forge.
    Not sure about the augments.
    If anyone finds anything else please post!

update after update... since... i don't remember, i've not feel once the urge to say "damn. i need those goodies", it was more like "well, when i have some time to spare i'll try to pick one or so..." and recently is more like " i don't give a ..." or " this is like open a chest in +2 loot weekend... dissapointment in 3, 2, 1..."

Why?
    Proud officer of Zuleicos (Thelanis) - Mikaelus (Melee) ; Akhnaroth (Caster) ; Kraneo (Healbot) ; Leonardu (Melee) ; Tormentazul (Melee)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoglum
    Come play Dungeons and Dragons! In heroic play you will face the evil minions of Demons... When and if you make it to Epic levels you face even greater threats. Threats like... giant rats and wolves!

Community Member

I'm aware that it's a forum faux pas to comment on another poster's spelling or grammar, but I think I ought to be able to get away with this as it's legitimate commentary on something due to be in-game, so here goes: your docent stinks, and so does your spelling. "...other than to make taking your life as punnishing as possible."

Really? REALLY?

Actually, forget the spelling, the entire structure and grammar of the "quote" text is abysmally painful. I'm probably the only person out of the entire DDO gaming population who cares, but the quality of writing has taken a nosedive since U13. I think that's a real shame in a fantasy roleplaying game.
    I'm a snuggly, fluffy, cuddly-wuddly little rabbit.

And if you call me a gamer grrrrl, I will reach down your throat, rip out your pancreas and feed it to my Rottweiler.

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default ughh

Underwhelming......
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Pooklebunny View Post
    I'm aware that it's a forum faux pas to comment on another poster's spelling or grammar, but I think I ought to be able to get away with this as it's legitimate commentary on something due to be in-game, so here goes: your docent stinks, and so does your spelling. "...other than to make taking your life as punnishing as possible."

Really? REALLY?

Actually, forget the spelling, the entire structure and grammar of the "quote" text is abysmally painful. I'm probably the only person out of the entire DDO gaming population who cares, but the quality of writing has taken a nosedive since U13. I think that's a real shame in a fantasy roleplaying game.
    well, should understand that there are people who have learned English as a second or third language (people from South America, Europe or Asia). And so has grammatical or orthographic deficiencies.

Sorry if it offends you but I think we all do what we can to try to express our ideas correctly.

Kal
    Proud officer of Zuleicos (Thelanis) - Mikaelus (Melee) ; Akhnaroth (Caster) ; Kraneo (Healbot) ; Leonardu (Melee) ; Tormentazul (Melee)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoglum
    Come play Dungeons and Dragons! In heroic play you will face the evil minions of Demons... When and if you make it to Epic levels you face even greater threats. Threats like... giant rats and wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    The great sword is merely suboptimal and bad, but the docent is downright awful.

The augments look potentially useful, but reserving judgment until I see numbers on the heal thingy.
    This pretty much sums it up... As it's been the case with the last couple updates, the loot developers are rolling full derp ahead!
    Officer of the Platinum Knights of Cannith, Founder of the guild GHOSTBANE of Cannith
    Main - Death - Completionist and then some...
    Other Characters - Holy, Leap, War, Optimusprime, Intimitank, Lanfear, Can, Afkbiobrb, Garagesale, Leverpuller and many more

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Golem's Heart:

- 2% on-being-hit procs were marginally useful when endgame mobs hit for 50. When they hit for 400, this is useless.
    I was looking at this for heroic twink, not EE. It is clearly not EE targeted (don't see a ML either).

Deconstructor:

- Is that a 100% proc? If so, this is insanely strong in its narrow niche.
    - This will make any weapon it is put into as strong against constructs as triple positives are against undead. Not sure that is a great idea.
    It would be nice to have named items to hunt for.

It would be smart, however, to have the proc rate scale and drop different MLs of these. Say ML 4 = 1%, etc. with ML 20 = 5% (so the same as +++) ... or similar (maybe make the 5% be ML28, whatever).
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

The problem, as I see it, with many of the posts/posters in this thread, is that you're used to running into a group of mobs and killing them all in 1.63 seconds with your current gear and setup. If any gear is presented that doesn't decrease that time for you, you whine.

The sword is decent, for a ML26, being that it essentially has Bane IV versus three mobs, as well as its other generic perks.
    It's obvious it isn't meant to be overwhelming, but rather a generalized weapon against such mobs.
    So, underwhelming, but not awful by any means.

The docent, however- while it does cover all elements [which unlike notes on lootgen, I've yet to seen lootgen give full-across-the-list up past 5%]- is dramatically underwhelming. For a caster, it offers no benefits. For a melee, it doesn't offer any defensive boosts worth mentioning. For an evader or Sneak Attacker, it's not even really necessary, AND doesn't offer anything useful.
    So not only is it underwhelming inherently, but it doesn't compare in any useful way to existing docents- few as they are.
    That, and, the devs constantly forget when they roll out new abilities and items [such as Season's Herald], the game has, all this time, thus far not released any content that meaningfully alternates elements.

You go into a map with fire, expect to fight only fire, not cold or anything else [and hell, even if you did find such a map, things like Season's Herald are ridiculous since you couldn't manage to switch reliably enough between groups].

Ahem, I digress.

Golem's hearts are a good idea, but even if they're like Healer's Bounty/whatevertheArtificerRingoneis (which both also proc 2%), it's not meaningful enough these days to be worth a BLUE slot. So either they need to switch to yellow, or be raised a percent or two [I'm assuming they don't stack, else I can see why they're limited to blue as is].

The other augment is a lovely example of a high level damage augment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    Your feedback is worse. Very few people in this thread actually say *why* they don't like the loot.
    When people get a life-threatening condition, does anybody have to explain *why* its a bad thing to you?

That greatsword is a disaster. Period. No explanation needed, its understood.
    Cetus Heroic Lives: #32/32 | Epic Completionist: #20/24 | Iconic Lives: #6/6
    Cetusz - Pure Sorcerer: Heroic Lives: #24/24 | Epic Lives: #6/12 | Iconic Lives: #1/3
    YouTube Channel HERE
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

By normal greatsword standards, it would have a niche use, but unfortunately, greatswords aren't compared to 99.9% of other greatswords in the game. They are compared to ESoS and it would be very hard to top that. Even if that comparison would be ignored, this sword is still missing 1[w] worth of damage that it should rightfully have and I'm hoping that's a bug.

The sad truth is that ESoS has warped expectations of other newer weapons such that something like this sword which should have at least situational use is seen as trash by many. Basically if a new greatsword doesn't have extra crit multipler or threat range or both, it's viewed as trash. As mentioned earlier, there are also better weapons that fill an undead beater role anyway, making this a potentially interesting monstrous humanoid and aberration beater. Do we really need one of those in the current level 26+ game? If there comes a time when I really badly need a tool for those two types of mobs, I might come looking for this sword (assuming I don't have an ESoS).
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    If there comes a time when I really badly need a tool for those two types of mobs, I might come looking for this sword (assuming I don't have an ESoS).
    Or just stop by the AH and buy a better situational one for 50k.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGardes View Post
    The problem, as I see it, with many of the posts/posters in this thread, is that you're used to running into a group of mobs and killing them all in 1.63 seconds with your current gear and setup. If any gear is presented that doesn't decrease that time for you, you whine.
    I think there is a comprehension fail.

The point of the game is to get treasure and better loot to make more difficult content easier to get through.
    If we are not getting something that gives us a situational edge or generalized consolidation or something to improve over what we have then there is no point.
    Why grind for new loot if the new loot is worse than what you already have or can easily craft or buy from the AH .. cheap...

We respond to bad loot in the forums to let Dev's know that they have failed, and in this case miserably... again....

Loot is a progession, the higher the level the better it is supposed to get.. More so for Named items..
    when you introduce items like this new supposedly Epic docent that doesnt replace a decent level 12 random drop or self crafted item then you have failed the community and yourselves.

Would anyone swap out their Epic Bladesmark Docent, Docent of grace, Dragonscale Docent... or any other docent for this... I wouldn't....
    by the looks of this thing as it is presented it wouldnt even leave the chest.. which = epic loot fail....

As to the sword... I have a decent Vorpal,Disruptor,Banisher,Smiter, various Bane wepons..
    I see nothing here that would entice me to trade in any of these to consolidate to this sword.
    ~The base damage is no better than random stuff, the crit profile is no better than random stuff
    ~Individual basic greater bane is pretty common for level 10 stuff..its not even superior bane...
    ~keen doesnt stack with improved crit.. so no big pickup here.
    ~random gen prefixes will have additional damage, so no improvemnt here.
    ~silver.. arty, or any umd scroller can cover this easy enough..

~~Could be usefull if we had some undead Vampires and werewolves to confront at the same time in the same room... then i wouldnt have to swap weapons...
    but really, the sword is bland, not really generalized enoough to replace most weapons, and no power edge for specific mobs over random drop AH stuff.

There is no ooh ahh...
    ask yourself when you are level 26+ ....."I want to grind for that weapon or docent because"...
    ~my response.....I got nothing....
    ..there is no real unique perk that you cant easily get anywhere else, or ability to consolidate other items/spots to free up something in any meaningful way...

Give the docent 2 blue slots and a yellow slot.. then maybe....but for me probably not... still doesnt entice me away from bladesmark, docent of grace, or any of the drgonscales...
    Give the sword better base damage for starters (2.5 [2d6].. is weak s/b 3.5 at least if not 4), greater bane s/b superior bane.. and change the colourless slot to a Red slot..
    Last edited by JOTMON; 10-26-2013 at 04:21 PM.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

That great sword is probably out DPS'd by a random generated Weapon with Smiting or Disruption. Why doesn't it have Epic Bane and Disruption to make it better than vendor trash?
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    The point of the game is to get better loot to make more difficult content easier to get through.
    If we are not getting something that gives us a situational edge or generalized consolidation or something to improve over what we have then there is no point.
    Why grind for new loot if the new loot is worse than what you already have or can easily craft or buy from the AH .. cheap...

We respond to bad loot in the forums to let Dev's know that they have failed, and in this case miserably... again....

Loot is a progession, the higher the level the better it is supposed to get.. More so for Named items..
    when you introduce items like this new supposedly Epic docent that doesnt replace a decent level 12 random drop or self crafted item then you have failed the community and yourselves

There is no ooh ahh...
    ask yourself when you are level 26+ ....."I want to grind for that weapon or docent because"...
    ..there is no real unique perk that you cant easily get anywhere else, or ability to consolidate other items/spots to free up something in any meaningful way...

But how many named items in the game really fit this criteria? The vast majority are like these two new items.....kinda meh, situationally useful at best.

While i think its unreasonable to suggest every new quest must contain A-list loot, we're looking for it now because it should have been in the expansion and it wasn't

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kned225 View Post
    But how many named items in the game really fit this criteria? The vast majority are like these two new items.....kinda meh, situationally useful at best.

While i think its unreasonable to suggest every new quest must contain A-list loot, we're looking for it now because it should have been in the expansion and it wasn't
    Partially true, I guess. Not every Update needs top-end named gear. But we've had several "meh" updates with bland gear or recycling effects.

Warning, cliche ahead: But named gear in Epics should be EPIC. That's really not been true. Epic named gear should be better than loot gen gear, and that definately hasn't been the case lately. And most importantly, Expansion Epic Gear should be the best gear in the game, with made Raid gear as the exception. Expansion gear should also have some unique loot. This two quest update with the Augments has already outshined all the gear in the Shadowfell "expansion" when it comes to uniqueness.

So yes, the Devs needs to get yelled at more for making horrible gear decisions. Not only for making bad or bland gear, but for putting something like these Augment crystals in a minor pack after doing the absolutely worst loot job in the game with the Shadowfell "expansion".

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    The point of the game is to get better loot to make more difficult content easier to get through.
    I don't agree with your opinion the way it is stated, however, I do agree with it backhandedly in that loot can help drive sales of quests, and that is the point of the game.

The sword and docent are lack luster. Some suggestions rather than whining.

For the sword change...
    1. Make "unatural" fit the Shinto definition already in game. aka "outisder" not "monstrous humanoid." To say "monstrous humanoid" is not natural screams of prejudice of the Silver Flame. So I'm pretty certain you are in the wrong world for That. Let alone STOP redefining terms already in use.
    2. Make it do cold iron AND blunt damage in addition to what you have listed.
    3. For the elite version, that colorless slot? remove that sort of.
    Elite : Red and Orange
    Hard : Red and colorless
    Normal : Red

For the Docent.
    1. Add exceptional Fortification to it. 10%, 20% and 30% for the versions.
    2. Make that a stacking form of absorption bonus.
    3. Same as before with slots.
    Elite : blue and green
    Hard : blue and yellow
    Normal blue and colorless

Here's why that greatsword is bad:

I don't use an eSOS; the grind is beyond me. (I may someday, but no specific plans.) What I use instead is a simple lootgen holy of bloodletting w/festival damage. Against the three mob types the greatsword is designed to fight, my holy of bloodletting is better dps. Against everything else the named greatsword is complete garbage.

Heck, my +++ that doesn't break dr is way better for vampires, but even still it's easy enough to farm up an epic t3 mournlode greataxe slotted with silver that would absolutely blow the doors off that greatsword for undead, and the mournlode is ML20.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalevor View Post
    well, should understand that there are people who have learned English as a second or third language (people from South America, Europe or Asia). And so has grammatical or orthographic deficiencies.
    Such people should NOT be writing official in-game text for item descriptions. The sentence structure is a bit awkward, but nothing that would bother me. That spelling mistake is pretty bad, though. We're not talking about a forum post or a made-up name. A simple spell check would have caught that.

Community Member

You gotta be ***** kidding me. That greatsword is the biggest piece of garbage i have ever seen, not to mention that armor. Just for a basic fighter that greatsword is at least 50 damage behind per hit on its best target from an esos, a sword 6 levels before hand..... what a joke.

Edit : Does it bother anyone else that this greatsword does 1-5 damage a hit more than a lit 2 greatsword..... not to mention that the greataxe lit 2 would crush this thing.
    Last edited by moo_cow; 10-25-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast