Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Default Epic Destiny Past Lives first look

For those that don't have access to Lamannia, the preview of the Epic Destiny Past Lives has just gone up on Lamannia.

Each sphere has a choice of 3 Past lives Toggles that you can have active.

Passives are the same for each Feat in the sphere, but the toggles are different. So in theory you could get the passive effect x9.

You can have one toggle active from each sphere, plus one from iconics, so that's an additional 5 toggles active that should stack with everything.

Not too bad.

Default Thanks Deadlock :)

Well color me impressed! I actually see things there that I want. Looks like a good job of making "nice to haves" that aren't "need to haves."

Of course, simple Bundynomics says that there must be some horrible catch to this...
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Default Pretty cool, but ..

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    For those that don't have access to Lamannia, the preview of the Epic Destiny Past Lives has just gone up on Lamannia.

... Helpful images removed ...

Each sphere has a choice of 3 Past lives Toggles that you can have active.

Passives are the same for each Feat in the sphere, but the toggles are different. So in theory you could get the passive effect x9.

You can have one toggle active from each sphere, plus one from iconics, so that's an additional 5 toggles active that should stack with everything.

Not too bad.
    What is the Karma cost of each Epic TR? Let's say I have everything maxed out in a given sphere, giving me 6 million Karma. Will that only give me a single ETR? Will Karma that I do not spend carry over to be used later?
    Khyber, Dragon Order of Arcanix Veryunique - VK Rogue (PL: Clr,Fvs,Wizx2), Skullcrshr - Gimp Thrower (PL: Barb, Ftrx3, Pal),
    Elsir - Necro Warlock (Completionist, finally), TheMadness - CC Druid (PL: Sorcx3, Wiz, Clr, Wlkx2)

Hero

So people don't miss a couple of Dev posts, my thread here is on the same topic and has some good discussion.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...nd-Description

Community Member

Toggles, thank goodness!

I was dreading having to fit in 5 more active clickies....

Quote Originally Posted by MagicalDad View Post
    What is the Karma cost of each Epic TR? Let's say I have everything maxed out in a given sphere, giving me 6 million Karma. Will that only give me a single ETR? Will Karma that I do not spend carry over to be used later?
    Epic Reincarnation costs 6 million Karma in one sphere, which is the same as the Karma cap with the launch of U20.

Other Karma is untouched.

Quote Originally Posted by uncleblue View Post
    Toggles, thank goodness!

I was dreading having to fit in 5 more active clickies....
    This was definitely part of the consideration. We are curious if some players would prefer a few more active abilities.

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We are curious if some players would prefer a few more active abilities.
    No. Please no. No. NO.
    <seemingly offensive Army of Darkness quote>

Hero

This was definitely part of the consideration. We are curious if some players would prefer a few more active abilities.
    No more clickes please..active selections (stances), I prefer no more. But no more boosts, clickables, etc pls.

Nooooooooooo for the love of all that is holy nooooooooo!!!!

Please for the love of mistra no. If I were working on the game I'd focus more on improving current ones, more toggles, and maybe some situation-reactive abilities (an ability that does different things depending on level, area, class, stance etc...) (example: the higher the level, the more eyecandy there is for spells (example (wow we're going in deep with the brackets): scorching ray: the higher level we go, the more flame effects there are, possibly at cap CL for it it leaves flaming trails on the ground), or maybe a toggle ability that drastically changes how your character is played), but as said. anything buy active abilities.
    If you are seeing this the chance of there being a pony reaction gif up above is 73.42619%. In case there is none, please notify me and I will deliver a pastel colored equine to this thread.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by MagicalDad View Post
    Karma cost is 6 million karma xp.

When you Epic TR you lose the karma xp.

You gain karma xp in a sphere by gaining XP while a destiny in that sphere is active. So with 6.6 million xp needed to get from 20 to 28 you can do that if you want to.

Personally, it depends on the the active ability. For example, I always try to fit in the Wizard past life active feat on my caster characters, since it simulates the effects of a number of feats, and lets me cast an improved magic missile spell 10 times per rest. In this case, I do it mostly for the +1 to spell DCs, but I do like the improved magic missile since it doesn't require spell points.

On the other hand, the ranger active PL feat isn't very useful since the effects of Barkskin can be had from items and from potions (iirc), while the +2 to Spot is not worth a valuable feat slot.

I'd stick with the toggles, Varg, but that's just me. The toggles are a very elegant solution to power creep.

Martial- sure, why not. maybe AC will be worth having someday again.

Divine- Brace is beneficial for melees, but my Ranger wouldn't mind the Divine PL at all.

Primal- a must for any melee that doesn't have high UMD or has no UMD investment, but every class benefits from it. I have a problem with Colors of the Queen though. not a fan of random effects. certain random effects can heal mobs, like lightening and Golems. rather see the effect be force since I don't think that benefits any mobs in the game.

Arcane- don't see anything good there for a melee, except Enchant. overall its meh for me considering my melees would have to go through that sphere yet again.

if I was willing to torture my characters for the fate point grind, I would have to think long and hard if wanted to continue that torture to go through Arcane for completionist since the other spheres have benefits for my melees. prefer Divine over Arcane. they are minor ones but if I had nothing better to do, I might do it. it doesn't seem like these PLs are overpowering and probably on the same line as heroic PLs.

I have too many things to click already and I'm using all hotbars on arcanes. 4 of them have modifier keys that I use with the numpad for quick access without mousing to them... THATS 40 HOTKEYS.

How about an ability that increases movement rate WHILE CASTING, if you have the mobile spellcasting feat (so that with enough stacks you could get to zero slowdown? Simultaneously making an underrated and mostly unused feat more interesting.

I love the casting cooldown one, as I enjoy things in DDO that make the game play slicker (like mobile spellcasting). and cooldowns especially on my SLA's are the antithesis of slick action.

Please make one of the iconics allow Shadar to jaunt (without the phase) more than once every 30 seconds, i was looking forward to Shadar but that 30 sec cooldown is a deal breaker, it's just unfun.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Karma cost is 6 million karma xp.

When you Epic TR you lose the karma xp.

You gain karma xp in a sphere by gaining XP while a destiny in that sphere is active. So with 6.6 million xp needed to get from 20 to 28 you can do that if you want to.
    How does one gain karma, if one is completely xp capped across all destinies, and in epic xp?

Community Member

Lightbulb

Moar clickies please, i love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    No more clickes please..active selections (stances), I prefer no more. But no more boosts, clickables, etc pls.
    i hate long cooldown short duration clickies the most. i wont build anything with manyshot, for example... do not care, am not interested in babysitting cooldowns, want fluid action, which basically has to be built for. Even then not all that fluid as the shortest cooldowns still lead to disjointed key responses and failed key presses.

I for one would love to see more stuff in DDO that allows you to play the game slicker, quicken on everything, mobile spell casting, sorc air savant with wind dance is about the closest I can come to a slick playing character in DDO. Going to stack up some of those cool down reductions for sure.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_Seaglen View Post
    How does one gain karma, if one is completely xp capped across all destinies, and in epic xp?
    Doesn't matter, you still gain karma xp when you gain xp.

Think on it that when you gain xp, you gain:
    1. character level xp if you're not level capped
    2. epic destiny xp if you're not capped in that destiny
    3. karma xp in the sphere relevant to your active destiny if you're not at the 6 million cap

So when you Epic TR your character XP drops back to level 20 (you sort of get a free LR+0 in the process from level 2 onwards, so you can change your level-up stats, skills and feats - but not your initial level 1 stat, skill or feat allocation!) and you lose your 6 million karma xp, but your ED xp, fate points, twists etc are all still there.

EDIT: And you should start with 6 million kama xp in every sphere when this goes live so you can choose which Epic Past Lives you want to gain.

Epic Reincarnation costs 6 million Karma in one sphere, which is the same as the Karma cap with the launch of U20.

Other Karma is untouched.

I must say, this is about the worst system you could ever have designed. The Karma portion is not bad in itself - the application of it as a 3x worse the off destiny leveling is. It's awful. Odd destiny leveling is bad. Is about the only system you guys have created that force a player to play out of synergy with the toons class. Epic destinies are suppose to be the Epic equivalence of a class enhancement. And playing in a off destiny simply mean that you're the equivalent of say a 10 level character force to use a 2-3 level enhancement. In other words - most of the class generic boosts in any given destiny are at the lowest tier then you have for most part just jump.

It's illustrated fairly well in things like a fighter leveling draconic - since the first couple of tiers might add something, but not even the ability point toggle will do much. Or for that matter my Arti on the Monk - where it's cool to run faster or maybe have a few more hit points but everything else is useless since he's never considered centered.

Now that's now - where I'm almost done with one guy doing most destinies (for fate points and such) and I won't do any of my other alts.

If we look at the Karma system its even worse.

You're forced (if you want to take advantage of it) to mass 6 million XP in one Sphere (or karma) to Reincarnate in that sphere. Basically level 20-28. That's all those levels IN that sphere. So if I see a value in anything out of the divine sphere I will be forced (with say my arti) to pick 1 of 2 completely un-synergetic destinies to level all 20-28 in increasingly harder quests in order to get to that amount.

In other words - you are going to make that entire journey complete misery. I might be able to do things on EN and EH in the beginning, using for most parts twists and the enhancement system but that will force you to tie yourself to that diff level at every single upper level.

There's just not one chance in hell that anyone should accept anyone leveling Karma in a off destiny into a EE group since that person would drag down the performance of the entire group - especially in high level quests.

I just can't understand why you would continue designing this type of system when you know just how terrible the off destiny system already is. I mean it's for nothing that most people bombed through the same quest over and over on EN and EH to quickly level destiny.

This is of course made absolutely silly when you also tie additional fate points to doing every 4 ER. In other words - if you want all 9 you will be FORCED to off destiny level all those levels. That's just completely insane.

Now comes the really horrible part.

You could potentially just do the same circle of short quick quests for XP over and over until you hit 28 but since you have so far tied valor (to ER 'for free') to completing sagas it's next to impossible to progress on valor while suffer the terrible karma crunch.

This is just awful design. Beside the idea of only getting Valor from sagas or getting BTC currency, this off destiny system of you have killed my interest in this system. This is awful. By design you have created the worst un-synergetic system so far and you've tripled the effect through karma.

I wish you well and all that, but without any alternative at high level and this awful system in place I just can't waste more time waiting until you find your groove again. I might TR 1 or 2 things within a sphere but after that I'm done. I just can't stomach more of this unfun hamster wheeling where I can't join high level EE groups because I have to gimp my progress on destiny leveling for fate points. And the idea of doing this for 6 million karma point just makes me want to vomit.

I'm not even sure if I can stick around to see if the new raid is anything to try. That's a lot of time keeping 2 accounts as VIP on the hope that there might be something to do in the future.

Thanks for the fish and all that.

BTW, personally if I find the karma a terrible system as it's tied to a specific sphere, the past life stuff is not bad at all. There are some like in the arcane that makes the choice a tough one. Or for that matter the primal.

For the marital AC can be good in early levels (if you heroic TR) but once in epic levels the double strike is better. The divine seems the least useful At least for classes like warforge that has so much fort already.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast