Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fallout_Zero View Post
    Turbine is shooting themselves in the foot.
    I'm not sure about that . . . look I think the ban extentions and deletion of earned items (and other things claimed) is silly . . . but . . .

1. Assuming most of the dupers are vets, who already bought the packs, and don't spend as much on the game as new people who haven't bought the packs yet.

2. There is a steady influx of new players. Check the un-guilded 1-4s on your server, there is.

New players have more potential to spend money than old. New players haven't bought all the packs, bank space, etc . . . that old players have already. I'm a vet, I buy some level 28 augments and cosmetics in the store once in a while, that's it. Banning me won't cost them much money.

(I'm not banned, talking hypotheticals)

A new player who could spend a few hundred bunch getting everything . . . it's more important to their bottom line that he stays than the vet.

Yes, end game is more boring than it was before the dupers got banned. But there's more to do with that than 1/4 fewer players (a figure pulled right out of my rectum).

Besides . . . can you really shoot yourself in the foot if both your legs have already been amputated?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenaps View Post
    less cheaters on the game, more fair play.

win/win
    You mean prior to the bug people were already cheating? Example of fail logic.
    If there's another bug like this, guess what? Same situation.
    There simply weren't more banning because not everyone knew about it.

less cheaters on the game, more fair play.

win/win
    All you people who believe this amuse me. For every cheater that got banned, there were two cheaters who didn't. The next major exploit that comes along, there will be a large amount of people who partake in it as well. DDO has a well-documented history of exploits, and there is a reason why everybody says "Exploit Early and Often."

The ban extension was happened because Turbine was too incompetent to finish the job in two weeks, so they needed an extra two weeks to finish cleaning up the mess. It wasn't meant to punish anybody, it was simply to cover their own asses.

Justifying not banning exploiters as a business decision doesnt work, because each time they dupe, they are circumventing the designed irritation purposely put into the game to convince players to buy stuff. Each exploit lost Turbine money. People were able to circumvent designed irriation for free, when Turbine charges for circumvention of design irritation. Purchasing irritation circumvention was widely supported by the playerbase, with many often times citing the reason that it makes Turbine money. If designing irritation into the game in order to sell circumvention of said irritation is widely supported because it makes money, then supporting exploiters is a diret contradiction in logic.
    Last edited by Chai; 10-24-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post

Besides . . . can you really shoot yourself in the foot if both your legs have already been amputated?
    Touché

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    All you people who believe this amuse me. For every cheater that got banned, there were two cheaters who didn't. The next major exploit that comes along, there will be a large amount of people who partake in it as well. DDO has a well-documented history of exploits, and there is a reason why everybody says "Exploit Early and Often."

The ban extension was happened because Turbine was too incompetent to finish the job in two weeks, so they needed an extra two weeks to finish cleaning up the mess. It wasn't meant to punish anybody, it was simply to cover their own asses.
    so? more is more. if from 100 exploteirs, turbine caught (in the web) 20, 20 less cheaters.

so? more is more. if from 100 exploteirs, turbine caught (in the web) 20, 20 less cheaters.
    Except, these 20 people will probably not come back. All the paladins slap each other on the back and rejoice that "cheating ****ing scum" are gone, but you have a player base that is hemorrhaging more and more with every update. Can this game afford to permanently lose 20 or 50 or 100 players? And many of the cheaters were veterans, as well. People who have been VIPs for a long time and were frequent spenders in the DDO store. You know-- the people who kept this game alive. They weren't fly-by-night noobs who play for a couple months and quit, barely contributing anything monetarily.
    Last edited by djl; 10-24-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Except, these 20 people will probably not come back. All the paladins slap each other on the back and rejoice that "cheating ****ing scum" are gone, but you have a player base that is hemorrhaging more and more with every update.
    well my guild got new recruits the last 2 months. so, yeah.. we lose peeps, others come.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallout_Zero View Post
    Who loses in the end? Turbine and existing players.

Banned players are doing something else, and might not comeback. Talking about long time players.
    If people I know are not coming back looks like almost time to call it quits too.
    A lot of people talk to feel the same way.

On the bright side for the people cheering for permanent bans might get what they want. People not coming back. And maybe all like minded people can play on same sever as they do server merges.

DDO had a good run.
    /Not_Signed
    Aezechiel (Caster, 14th life) - Kakophonyc (Bard, 2nd life) - Larsenkarden (High saves evartie, 4th life) - Lewela (Bard, 6th life) - Punkcanard (sorcerer 4th life) - Usuldur (Melee, completionist) - Sylentbob (Vistani knife fighter, 2nd life) ... and a couple of mules

“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”
    Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Community Member

Except, these 20 people will probably not come back. All the paladins slap each other on the back and rejoice that "cheating ****ing scum" are gone, but you have a player base that is hemorrhaging more and more with every update.
    And if peoples friends don't come back they move on to something else.

A lot of people are on the border already. They play DDO because of routine and talk with friends. The 4 week ban is actually helping them break out of DDO and they won't come back. Again who does this hurt? Not the people who were banned.

The only real lesson here is don't dupe mabar signet stuff while you exploit. That's one of the things noticed when talking to the many other dupers who aren't banned.

Well, seems to me it's really hurting the cheaters, or there wouldn't be so many threads trying to justify duping.

Man up, or woman up, people. You cheated, you got caught, you got banned.

As for me, cheaters being banned hasn't hurt my game play a bit. Everyone on my friends list is still playing, all the people in my guild are still playing, and there appear to be a goodly number of LFM's up.

What's going to hurt LFM's more than the bans is all the people in Mabar right now.
    Once upon a time, I was part of a team, and we saved some children. What have you done with your life?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    So apart from the "name calling and insults are prohibited," for some context in terms of general procedures on this sort of thing...

- Accounts are audited and scrubbed.
    - Buy back of the characters is reviewed before releasing the characters back into the wild.
    - Items are deleted from most to least valuable in order to choke the buy back with less valuable items, in the event that for some reason items didn't show up in the buy back review. Because of the quantity of items we purged in total, we also elected to disable the buy back feature just in case there was a purging back log.
    - Accounts that go through such a procedure are placed on an item-acquire watch list for the foreseeable future, where we monitor the activity of the account after the proceedure.
    - We also continue to monitor for accounts that "brag" about having slipped through the net.

Hope this clarifies things!
    You are so good at your job! Can I have your babies?

Except, these 20 people will probably not come back. All the paladins slap each other on the back and rejoice that "cheating ****ing scum" are gone, but you have a player base that is hemorrhaging more and more with every update. Can this game afford to permanently lose 20 or 50 or 100 players? And many of the cheaters were veterans, as well. People who have been VIPs for a long time and were frequent spenders in the DDO store. You know-- the people who kept this game alive. They weren't fly-by-night noobs who play for a couple months and quit, barely contributing anything monetarily.
    Dude . .. the bans from Exploitapalooza 2013 have so little to do with this being a dying game it's not funny.

DDO will die in 2015, ban 0 or 1000 people and it won't make a difference.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Justifying not banning exploiters as a business decision doesnt work, because each time they dupe, they are circumventing the designed irritation purposely put into the game to convince players to buy stuff. Each exploit lost Turbine money. People were able to circumvent designed irriation for free, when Turbine charges for circumvention of design irritation. Purchasing irritation circumvention was widely supported by the playerbase, with many often times citing the reason that it makes Turbine money. If designing irritation into the game in order to sell circumvention of said irritation is widely supported because it makes money, then supporting exploiters is a diret contradiction in logic.
    What I fear the most is the old timers who I play with decide not to come back since doing something else. Sure I play now with pugs etc but it's not the same. If they don't come back less incentive for me and many others to continue to play.

There are a huge amount of dupers who didn't get banned.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Thumbs up

Can we have a bonus of some sort while they are away?

Never mind! It is Mabar! WOOT! Thank you Dev Team. It is a reward and I feel appreciated. Thank you for starting Mabar today! I just wanted to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I am bummed right now though. I have to go to work.

DDO will die in 2015
    You shouldn't hand these gems out for free in other peoples threads

Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

DDO will die in 2015, ban 0 or 1000 people and it won't make a difference.
    Nostradamus! Those who live, shall see!

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

This scarlet lettering of happy, helpful, active members of ddo's community because they dared to dupe saddens me. Not for the dupers so much as because it lowers my opinion of the community.

Saying these players have 1 single relevant trait - they duped - that defines their entire contribution as a member of the ddo community is beyond stupid.

Did you dupe? If so, you're a worthless cast-offs with a net negative effect on ddo's enjoyment and financial viability.

Did you not? Well then you're definitely good for the game.

It's so, so stupid.

I'm reminded of Billy Joel lyrics, and I'm sure something to their effect will be the rejoinder to this post, but I don't even think I'm trying to convince anyone they're being moronic so much as writing this for catharsis.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    In Von 3 the breakables in the Troll Ambassador optional room are slow to get to and unnecessary for ransack.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    This scarlet lettering of happy, helpful, active members of ddo's community because they dared to dupe saddens me. Not for the dupers so much as because it lowers my opinion of the community.

Saying these players have 1 single relevant trait - they duped - that defines their entire contribution as a member of the ddo community is beyond stupid.

Did you dupe? If so, you're a worthless cast-offs with a net negative effect on ddo's enjoyment and financial viability.

It's so, so stupid.

I'm reminded of Billy Joel lyrics, and I'm sure something to their effect will be the rejoinder to this post, but I don't even think I'm trying to convince anyone they're being moronic so much as writing this for catharsis.
    Ok, explain to me how duping and "helpful" members of the DDO community is not oxymoron?
    Once upon a time, I was part of a team, and we saved some children. What have you done with your life?

Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post

It's so, so stupid.
    Well said.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast