2014 DDO Players Council April_Kinslayer's Avatar

Default Armor kits gone from the store

Hello,

Yesterday I hopped onto the DDO Store to grab an armor kit for a robe, and noticed that the armor kits are all gone from the store. The cosmetic kits are still there, but not the armor kits. Are they coming back anytime soon?
    Formerly on Reidra, now on Khyber.
    Ahzinna Kinslayer
    Jhakhan Kinslayer
    April Kinslayer
    Mekhan Kinslayer

No man is more noble than the cause he fights

Brand / Commerce Team QuartermasterX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by April_Kinslayer View Post
    Hello,

Yesterday I hopped onto the DDO Store to grab an armor kit for a robe, and noticed that the armor kits are all gone from the store. The cosmetic kits are still there, but not the armor kits. Are they coming back anytime soon?
    We originally announced the old armor kits would be discontinued in a few weeks with Update 18 due to the inclusion of the permanent cosmetic armors. While we have not converted all of the old cosmetic armor kits to the new system yet, this is something we plan to do over time.

2014 DDO Players Council April_Kinslayer's Avatar

Thank you for the information. I look forward to the kits making it into the costumes section
    Formerly on Reidra, now on Khyber.
    Ahzinna Kinslayer
    Jhakhan Kinslayer
    April Kinslayer
    Mekhan Kinslayer

No man is more noble than the cause he fights

I noticed in update 3 there was a roll for cosmetic items for daily dice rolls, but after the first mabar (test) the dice chart got converted back to pre-update 3. I thought for sure it would come back when mabar started again. :'(
    I love you Abbot♥

I purchased one of the new armor kits about three weeks ago, then I TR'ed and the kit is now gone from my inventory. Checked my bank, TR cache, and packs. Nada. Wasn't an expensive one, per se, only 395 TP. But, still.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormanne View Post
    I purchased one of the new armor kits about three weeks ago, then I TR'ed and the kit is now gone from my inventory. Checked my bank, TR cache, and packs. Nada. Wasn't an expensive one, per se, only 395 TP. But, still.
    I would contact customer service, they can compensate you.

Community Member

Default Armor kits returning "over time" - but when?

Could you *please* give an ETA on when the armor kits will be re-issued as costume armor? Things are really hurting for female characters since they've left. Of the cosmetic armor pieces, many of them have skulls or have accessories which look fine on male characters, but look kind of bulky and awkward on female characters. There's only one attractive looking headpiece, the circlet. Helms hide the hair and look weird on female characters (especially in robes), and the rest of the hat options are things like skull masks (ugh), pirate hats (no, thank you) and those weird paper pagoda hats (not a chance).

One of the main reasons my husband and I ended up here was because there was at least a degree of character appearance customization available. We spent 9 years in City of Heroes, which had *phenomenal* physical and gear appearance customization, and admittedly, we're a bit spoiled. Yet we were really encouraged when we saw the armor kits here. Now, they're gone. Maybe it sounds odd to some, but getting to play around with my character's appearance was one thing I really enjoyed, and something I'd spend money on. It's really not as much fun now that there's really no room for a bit of originality.

So, timeline on when we'll see some *pretty* cosmetic armor items coming back into the store? I won't spend money for loot or ubergear, but I *will* spend for cosmetic armor options!

Also, is there any chance that a version of the Spider Cult mask could be added to the cosmetic headgear? It wouldn't have to be as elaborate as the pre-orders and I wouldn't even care if they didn't have any powers to them. That would keep the stuff that the pre-orders got special, but still introduce a mask that doesn't look like the typical patched leathery bandit-looking ones which are all that are otherwise available.

Thanks very much.

~Elizabeth

Quote Originally Posted by Lionoress View Post
    Could you *please* give an ETA on when the armor kits will be re-issued as costume armor?
    We are planning on converting more armor kits to cosmetic armors with Update 21.

Community Member OverlordOfRats's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lionoress View Post
    Could you *please* give an ETA on when the armor kits will be re-issued as costume armor? Things are really hurting for female characters since they've left. Of the cosmetic armor pieces, many of them have skulls or have accessories which look fine on male characters, but look kind of bulky and awkward on female characters. There's only one attractive looking headpiece, the circlet. Helms hide the hair and look weird on female characters (especially in robes), and the rest of the hat options are things like skull masks (ugh), pirate hats (no, thank you) and those weird paper pagoda hats (not a chance).

One of the main reasons my husband and I ended up here was because there was at least a degree of character appearance customization available. We spent 9 years in City of Heroes, which had *phenomenal* physical and gear appearance customization, and admittedly, we're a bit spoiled. Yet we were really encouraged when we saw the armor kits here. Now, they're gone. Maybe it sounds odd to some, but getting to play around with my character's appearance was one thing I really enjoyed, and something I'd spend money on. It's really not as much fun now that there's really no room for a bit of originality.

So, timeline on when we'll see some *pretty* cosmetic armor items coming back into the store? I won't spend money for loot or ubergear, but I *will* spend for cosmetic armor options!

Also, is there any chance that a version of the Spider Cult mask could be added to the cosmetic headgear? It wouldn't have to be as elaborate as the pre-orders and I wouldn't even care if they didn't have any powers to them. That would keep the stuff that the pre-orders got special, but still introduce a mask that doesn't look like the typical patched leathery bandit-looking ones which are all that are otherwise available.

Thanks very much.

~Elizabeth
    I would also like to see more options for head gear that does not cover up the hair. Circlets are good. A tiara that is slightly larger so you can see the top of it over the characters head would be nice.

As someone who ordered the prerelease and gets the Spider Cult Mask, I say let the other players have a cosmetic only version. Call it the Spider Mask or the Cult Mask. The only thing I would say is maybe change one pixel and save it as a separate picture. I would not want the prerelease versions thinking they are the cosmetic only versions

Quote Originally Posted by QuartermasterX View Post
    We are planning on converting more armor kits to cosmetic armors with Update 21.
    cosmetics vs. Armor kits

Cosmetic

Pros: can be used on any armor and reused
    Cons: Takes up an inventory slot

Armor Kit:

Pros: does not take up an inventory space
    Cons: single use on only 1 armor

Please address this issue our inventory space and bank space are already bursting at the seams.
    *more BTA space is the opposite of a solution

Community Member OverlordOfRats's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tanngiostr View Post
    cosmetics vs. Armor kits

Cosmetic

Armor Kit:

Please address this issue our inventory space and bank space are already bursting at the seams.
    *more BTA space is the opposite of a solution
    Maybe I'm confused.

Cosmetics are BTA not BTC. So when not in use they can go in a shared bank and off to a bank toon. They do take up an inventory space, but it is a special space that can only be used for cosmetics. Unless you want to change appearance in the middle of a quest and are carrying two.

I will agree with you that there is too much BTC equipment right now, especially the last few updates. They should make most non raid equipment BTA or unbound. But that is a different topic.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OverlordOfRats View Post
    Maybe I'm confused.

Cosmetics are BTA not BTC. So when not in use they can go in a shared bank and off to a bank toon. They do take up an inventory space, but it is a special space that can only be used for cosmetics. Unless you want to change appearance in the middle of a quest and are carrying two.

I will agree with you that there is too much BTC equipment right now, especially the last few updates. They should make most non raid equipment BTA or unbound. But that is a different topic.
    The cosmetics that come with the Iconics are BtC.

There are at least one other set of items that are BtC, the wizard's hat and companion hat.

AFAIK, the cosmetics currently available in the store are BtA.

I have the old +5 concentration circlet kicking around, I'm glad they updated it to fit in cosmetic slots.

Except for possibly an armour mod, I can't see myself buying any cosmetic items that don't provide some form of skill/ability boost or effect. Paying to win is smarter than paying to look good when it comes to using up inventory spots.

Maybe we need craftable cosmetics.

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

I still want a Wardrobe tab similar to the Pets tab. 98% of cosmetic gear (by which I mean pure cosmetics - not something like the Spider Cult Mask that has a bonus) go in there and can be useable on any character at any time. If it can be figured out, the "race required" ones from Iconics can also get put in there and only used by the correct race (though personally, I wish that stuff *wasn't* BtC and RR - well, except maybe Bladeforged/WF vs fleshies). Get the cosmetic, double-click it, it goes into your wardrobe and is accessible to everyone on the server. No inventory clogging, you can use it on multiple characters without visiting the shared bank or buying multiple copies. Pure win for everyone (I know I'd buy more cosmetic armors if I didn't have to worry about it hanging around and taking up space). Start with the basic BtA stuff and then work on the coding for RR.

And heck, why not have the Spider Cult Masks and others in there? I don't know if stuff like the party hats and bunny hats were turned into clickies like the SCM, but it shouldn't be too hard to do. Maybe have two buttons, a Hatbox and a Wardrobe, and you can only have one of each active, similar to only having one pet active.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tanngiostr View Post
    cosmetics vs. Armor kits

Cosmetic

Armor Kit:

Thats not really a CON it only takes up a space because its not single use thats like complaining thats like saying Pro: DOn't need to take a cab or bus everywhere Con: Your driveway now has a car in it. its not a con its just a thing that happens
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Don't forget the most wanted and long overdue thing, promised with U21:
    For Update 21 we are looking into various options for additional storage that are not shared bank slots
    I doubt that you'll keep the promise, but I really wait/hope for this.

My point is that while armor kits/companions/etc is nice, first things should come first