Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default Don't Change valour from BTC to BTA

This whole concept of being able to reincarnate using tokens/Valour earned from another character is just ridiculous. Every player that wants to reincarnate a particular toon "Must" play that toon. What we have now is a lot of lv 28s parked for farming tokens while they keep spamming TR on another toon.

Quote Originally Posted by sha123 View Post
    This whole concept of being able to reincarnate using tokens/Valour earned from another character is just ridiculous. Every player that wants to reincarnate a particular toon "Must" play that toon. What we have now is a lot of lv 28s parked for farming tokens while they keep spamming TR on another toon.
    Now perhaps you can explain to the other 99% of us why exactly that is "ridiculous"?
    If your "Known Issues" list needs a freaking scroll bar, then one of you needs to go.

Community Member

The concept of entire parties waiting for a healer is even worse.
    If Turbine wants to make the game more group friendly, BTC = bad idea.

Repeat after me.

"It does not affect me if others play their characters a certain way.

I am allowed to hold myself to higher restrictions.

I should stop telling others what they should be doing with their characters. I should not be trying to enforce my playstyle on others.

All playstyles are valid."
    .:Sarlona - ELH:. Inamorata (TR11 Completionist WIP) / Groundloop (TR2) / Signalmixer (TR) / Serraphiia (TR)
    Angelorum (TR) / Darqchylde / Aetherielle / Rashree / Colordepth / Wintremoon / Tarrynn
    Amarizi / Genozid / Arising / Tenpercenter / Ellixia / Zecele / Harika / Lainiel / Zephale

"Everyone should play the way I want!"
    /not signed

Pirate Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

@OP:
    Last edited by RedOrm; 10-24-2013 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedOrm View Post
    +1

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TDarkchylde View Post
    Repeat after me.

"It does not affect me if others play their characters a certain way.

I am allowed to hold myself to higher restrictions.

I should stop telling others what they should be doing with their characters. I should not be trying to enforce my playstyle on others.

All playstyles are valid."
    I am not asking you to build your character in any way. You can build whatever you want, idc. What this is all about is to make sure that you actually play that character that you have build, instead of just using a main to farm your way out of that particular life and TR.

I am not asking you to build your character in any way. You can build whatever you want, idc. What this is all about is to make sure that you actually play that character that you have build, instead of just using a main to farm your way out of that particular life and TR.
    You know, because you don't have to play that character to get it to level 20/28 or anything. You just TR them, and then they accumulate the XP your lvl 28 is losing from being at cap. Didn't you know that's where all that extra xp goes?

Community Member

The OP does have a philosophical point. XP and BTC items are about the only things you cant transfer from one character to another...and every bit of "twinking" you can do, every bit of proxy play, somewhat diminishes and trivializes the value of your alts.

And its not just a question of "it doesn't hurt you if I twink my alts"...the more twinkable alts are, the more it diminishes non-endgame play overall. It reduces the non-endgame economy, makes non-twink midlevel gear effectively worthless, and discourages players from doing anything from 1-20 besides just grinding out XP. You can end up with a system (LOTRO did this, notably) where the "real game" doesn't start till cap, and the whole game up to it just becomes a grind to get to cap. It can also enable elitism, when there's an expectation that every midlevel character should be fully twinked.

I get why people want to see BtA rewards too, and there's legitimate (along with non-legitimate) reasons to want it. But I do think there's validity to the idea that a character should have to earn some things for himself, not just get fast-tracked through the Heroic Bypass, so that each character is an individual accomplishment on its own, not just another iteration churned out by a L28 farming char.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    The OP does have a philosophical point. XP and BTC items are about the only things you cant transfer from one character to another...and every bit of "twinking" you can do, every bit of proxy play, somewhat diminishes and trivializes the value of your alts.

And its not just a question of "it doesn't hurt you if I twink my alts"...the more twinkable alts are, the more it diminishes non-endgame play overall. It reduces the non-endgame economy, makes non-twink midlevel gear effectively worthless, and discourages players from doing anything from 1-20 besides just grinding out XP. You can end up with a system (LOTRO did this, notably) where the "real game" doesn't start till cap, and the whole game up to it just becomes a grind to get to cap.

I get why people want to see BtA rewards too, and there's legitimate (along with non-legitimate) reasons to want it. But I do think there's validity to the idea that a character should have to earn some things for himself, not just get fast-tracked through the Heroic Bypass, so that each character is an individual accomplishment on its own, not just another iteration churned out by a L28 farming char.
    getting several million xp is not enough? maybe they should make some better btc raid loot maybe with the next new raid? Playing my alts is fun, having content where I can play them and get things for *all* my characters is fun as well. Having to spend weeks and weeks farming after I get to 20 to get my character back to level 1 again to grind 4-5 million xp is not what I would call fun. Especially if that is now a character where I have maxed out his/her ED's, im getting nothing else while im spending 100's of hours farming to get back to level 1 again.

Theres no need to force this on people. Its just inflexible, having it BTA in no way restricts anyones playstlye.

And its not just a question of "it doesn't hurt you if I twink my alts"...the more twinkable alts are, the more it diminishes non-endgame play overall. It reduces the non-endgame economy, makes non-twink midlevel gear effectively worthless, and discourages players from doing anything from 1-20 besides just grinding out XP. You can end up with a system (LOTRO did this, notably) where the "real game" doesn't start till cap, and the whole game up to it just becomes a grind to get to cap. It can also enable elitism, when there's an expectation that every midlevel character should be fully twinked.

I get that. I do. It's one of the methods I've chosen to use to stretch out my own alts by and large. What I would never do however is advocate removing that choice from another player.

Community Member

Talking

Says nobody ever!

Pirate Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

There's validity to wanting to play in a perma-dead guild as well, and if you or anyone else chooses not to share bta stuff around because they feel doing so diminishes the value of your alts, that's your call. But that's not how I or a lot of other people enjoy the game. And that's the point: if tokens (or whatver they want us to use) are BTA, you can easily choose to not pass them around if that is how you enjoy the game. But if they are BTC I am FORCED to play the game in a way I dislike, no choice possible.
    There's people who positively enjoy the added thrill of perma-death, for me it would totally ruin the game. This is the same thing.

Greetz,
    Red Orm

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedOrm View Post
    There's validity to wanting to play in a perma-dead guild as well, and if you or anyone else chooses not to share bta stuff around because they feel doing so diminishes the value of your alts, that's your call. But that's not how I or a lot of other people enjoy the game. And that's the point: if tokens (or whatver they want us to use) are BTA, you can easily choose to not pass them around if that is how you enjoy the game. But if they are BTC I am FORCED to play the game in a way I dislike, no choice possible.
    There's people who positively enjoy the added thrill of perma-death, for me it would totally ruin the game. This is the same thing.

Greetz,
    Red Orm
    Nah your point makes no sense. If you don't want to play your character then don't make one, it's as simple as that. Using a main to farm tokens for your alt is the same as being power leveled by another toon. If that is what you want, then might as well take away the level penalty for all quests, and i will use my main to farm exp for my alt from lv 1-20.

Yes it was also mentioned by the devs that diff people has diff speed at doing the quest. It will be a reasonable amount when it goes live. However, that is a different matter altogether. This thread just advocates the point that if you make a toon and want to TR it, earn it by playing that toon.
    Got your point, I just hope that the amount of time needed won't be too much.. They should add some Saga too I guess.. Something in Eberron.. It'd make thing easyer and probably quicker..

Why do people in this forum constantly want to dictate how I play this game?

I tr a couple of toons only. I leave a couple of toons in epics to play epics when i want to and I use them to farm tokens so that when i want to tr I can tr as soon as I hit 20 on the toons i tr with.

And yes, if I tr into a class and find I do not like it, I use an Otto's box to complete that class as quickly as possible. Yes, I bought a number of them from the store, another thing I have been blasted for by some people on the forum.

So now someone is telling me how I should tr. Well quite frankly, I do not want to add hours of grind to tr'ing a toon. I have a family and my time to play computer games is limited and I want to play the way I want to play, not how someone else wants me to play.

IF this change goes in, sorry to all but I will either
    1) play something else, maybe not even an play another mmo, been playing Panzer corps some lately, it's a lot like Panzer General from when i first started playing computer games years ago
    2) Stop working on the tr toons, stop buying stuff from the ddo store and just hang out on the guild ship and talk to people when I don't feel like running epics. And yes, I have been logging on to hang out on a bridge and talk with
    people and not doing any quest latley , which is in itself is very strange indeed. I am sure someone will have a negative comment about me doing that also.

On a unrelated note or comment. Why have so few people bought the new expansion? I never seem to get people to run the new quest, I knowthe quest xp sucks as does the loot, but i still would think people would want to run something new?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackdae View Post
    Got your point, I just hope that the amount of time needed won't be too much.. They should add some Saga too I guess.. Something in Eberron.. It'd make thing easyer and probably quicker..
    Don't answer him, because it's this guy

You can say the same for the gear, lets make everything btc, you got gear on that char, then you cant transfer it to another char, makes as much sense as your idea.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast