Community Member

Default A bit baffled about aggro / light damage sources - palemaster keeps dying

I'm playing on a F2P account, all solo so far and for the foreseeable future.

My palemaster brings along a well developed skeleton summons and a cleric hireling, and yet sometimes he suddenly dies for reasons I cannot seem to predict in advance. For example, this evening while doing Gwylan's Stand my PM died twice on normal difficulty. And yet, I had just cleared Taming the Flames with no problems.

He's level 7 now and using Shroud of the Vampire. I'm wondering in which quests (and for which mobs) light damage is a big issue in F2P content; perhaps that's what happened in Gwylan's Stand.

Also, The Pit, Xorian Cipher, Faithful Departed, and Caverns of Korromar are coming up next for him and I'm wondering how to handle those, for a soloing palemaster. I've never attempted the Pit or Xorian Cipher before and all previous efforts at Faithful Departed an Caverns of Korromar have not gone well (venerated die in FD, defeated by undead beholder in Korrmar). On a related note, is my palemaster essentially immune to energy drain?

Thank you in advance for any insights you can provide.

Community Member

Any Shaman-type mob, I think, can have Light spells in their repertoire. I know there's Ogre Shamen in Gwylan's, so that might be what was hitting you.

Also, why a Cleric hire if you're a PM? He cant heal you, at least not unless you unshroud...why not go with a Bard instead? Or a FvS? Paladin, even? Can still self-heal, but some more useful secondary skills or melee ability.

PMs should be immune to stat dmg and neg levels, yes, while in shroud.

Pit is just long and it helps to have Jump and a Feather Fall item, and Fire Resist. Xorian Cipher is kinda nasty, there's a lot of Beholders including a respawning one at the end, and again Jump/FF is useful as there's some jumping around at the end (while beholders are harassing you). FD shouldn't be tough, just have your hire and skelly stay put outside the rooms with the Venerated, as they like to help the Drow kill them. Once you kill all the Drow, the Venerated become unkillable, so youre safe. If you don't lose any, you can let the last one die at the end without a problem, makes the last fight way easier. Korromar shouldn't be that tough, the (non undead) beholder at the end is the only really tough part, and just send your skelly after him first to get aggro, then move in behind and kill him off fast. Oh, there's also a kinda nasty arcane skeleton/mephit spawn near the end of one wing, acid/cold resists help there, and just be aware of where the arcane skellies will spawn and kill them fast.

Vampire form is contraindicated for most content. You are running into priest type mobs casting light based damage spells against you. As you take triple damage in vampire form, and the spells the light damage spells do something like 30 to 50 damage base, you are taking sudden damage spikes of 100 to 150 HP.

That's why a lot of pale masters don't go into form until they hit lvl 12 and can use the much more useful wraith form.

----------------

Yes, in form you are immune to level drain and most instant death effects, plus spells that do negative energy damage (inflict wounds, etc)

---------------

The pit can't be 'soloed' you need a hire or dog to turn a valve for you. And if you don't have very long experience doing the pit, I'd guess it would take a considerable amount of time to get done. Alas, the quest is usually too confusing to learn by following someone. On the other hand, it does offer very high bast xp, so if you do want to learn how to do it, it's not completely wasted effort. Though most people leveling choose to do Tear of Dhakaan instead, since it's considerably more straightforward and also offers a lot of xp.

----------------

The trick to fighting beholders as a wizard is that you can use your spell like abilities while in the anti-magic field. So, for example, if you have the evocation SLAs from archmage (magic missile, gust of wind, chain missile) you can fire those off against the beholder. The other thing to note is that the anti-magic field is projected out of the big front eye. If you are behind the beholder, you aren't in the anti-magic field. Of course, all the eye beams will also bear directly behind as well, so the technically better place to be is one the right or left hand side, depending on your resistances, and stuff. Also, if you can throw up a wall of fire under the beholder before you get hit with anti-magic, the wall of fire will stay up. A third beholder killing option is dex draining weapons. Beholders have low base dex, and once fully dex drained their eye beams stop working and they are reduced to trying to bite you.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Also, why a Cleric hire if you're a PM?
    I'd guess divine vitality

PMs should be immune to stat dmg [...]
    SHOULD being the operative word. They aren't, this is a problem. Which will, in theory, be address 'eventually' like ladders.

Xorian Cipher is kinda nasty, there's a lot of Beholders including a respawning one at the end, and again Jump/FF is useful as there's some jumping around at the end (while beholders are harassing you).
    Sounds like you are thinking of dreams of insanity, not Xorian cypher. Xorian cypher has the stunning skeletons and hounds.

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyTheMoment View Post

My palemaster brings along a well developed skeleton summons and a cleric hireling, and yet sometimes he suddenly dies for reasons I cannot seem to predict in advance. For example, this evening while doing Gwylan's Stand my PM died twice on normal difficulty. And yet, I had just cleared Taming the Flames with no problems.

He's level 7 now and using Shroud of the Vampire. I'm wondering in which quests (and for which mobs) light damage is a big issue in F2P content; perhaps that's what happened in Gwylan's Stand.

Also, The Pit, Xorian Cipher, Faithful Departed, and Caverns of Korromar are coming up next for him and I'm wondering how to handle those, for a soloing palemaster. I've never attempted the Pit or Xorian Cipher before and all previous efforts at Faithful Departed an Caverns of Korromar have not gone well (venerated die in FD, defeated by undead beholder in Korrmar). On a related note, is my palemaster essentially immune to energy drain?

just dont use the shroud if you are on a quest with heavly light damage. You also have cloak of night enh to reduce light dmg (i never train it to max, i feel 50% too much, i normaly left it at rank 1).

at higher levels, things goes better. 20 cloak + 30 Embrace the Light its 50% less light dmg.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jingwei View Post
    The pit can't be 'soloed' you need a hire or dog to turn a valve for you.
    Or a skelly, since the OP is a PM? They use the Pet UI, don't they?

Sounds like you are thinking of dreams of insanity, not Xorian cypher. Xorian cypher has the stunning skeletons and hounds.
    Right you are. Xorian Cypher can also be soloed, with a hire and a pet ideally, but that still involves herding a skelly archer from the side chamber back to the corner of the hallway, until its standing on the fourth pressure plate. But there's a nasty fight involving a bunch of orange names, and a pretty nasty hallway with traps and archers. I've only ever tried it, myself, grossly over-level while trying to farm a Gird, so I don't know how tough the actual fights would be, solo at-level, once you got around the 4-switch mechanic. Also, its lots of undead, which of course are more troublesome for PMs.

I imagine, in any case, it'd be a very steep learning curve to actually figure out how the quest mechanics work, if you haven't run it before, and aren't an experienced soloist in your class.

Community Member

Also, why a Cleric hire if you're a PM? He cant heal you, at least not unless you unshroud...why not go with a Bard instead? Or a FvS? Paladin, even? Can still self-heal, but some more useful secondary skills or melee ability.
    I favour a Warforged melee class, either Fighter or Barbarian. Good at soaking up aggro and damage, effective against Beholders, and I can heal them as necessary.

That's why a lot of pale masters don't go into form until they hit lvl 12 and can use the much more useful wraith form.
    Zombie is still available at 6, is it not? Or was that changed in the enhancement pass? -1 to your spell DCs is a small price to pay for all of the benefits of undead traits at that level (IMO).

Or a skelly, since the OP is a PM? They use the Pet UI, don't they?
    Correct, the new skellies have a full hireling toolbar and can operate switches for you.

Community Member

To the OP, the reason why you draw agro is because Turbine coded it that way.

Mobs make a bee-line for casters, even if a melee beats them down to half health they will still head for the Caster that just entered the room and hasn't actually done anything yet.

Consequently, make sure you don't waste points in Subtle Spellcasting, they are completely wasted points.

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyTheMoment View Post

Vampiric form is bad whern you have to fight cleric/shaman. That means lot of quest (taming the flame is an exception). Stay in zombie form or wait for wraith form

The pit : can be soloed + hire, but the first time, you will spent hours before learning it. Fun quest
    Xorian Cipher : need to press 4 plate at same time. if you have learned how to move archer npc, this can be soloed. But better to learn dungeon in group first. Also nasty fight to do at level
    Faithful departed : one venerable can die. Even 2, but (i think) not 3. To avoid this, you need to kill the drow/scorrow quickly. Avoid damage area spell that also damage the venerable
    Cavern of Koromar : you will need to learn how to fight beholder with a wizard. Not easy (at start). As other have said : use SLA. Also use Scorching ray : you can shoot it from far away, before beholder see you. of course if he got you , you have only melee or SLA

One thing to note about beholders is while in form, the only real thing you have to worry about is their Disintegrate spell, as ne-levels do nothing to you (maybe even heal you) and the Anti-magic cone, while annoying, doesn’t stop you from using SLAs.

But if you want to really get the drop on them, cast a DoT (not sure if they are available at that level) like Burning Blood, Niac’s Cold, or Eldars Electric Surge. Likewise, dropping a Wall of Fire or Ice Storm at the entrance of the chamber, then hanging out on the side of the chamber where the eyes can’t hit you is also a strategy. The Beholder will attempt to hit you with one its eyes, but because there is an obstruction it moves and tries again. It does this enough with a Wall of Fire up, and it’ll lose a significant number of HP while re-adjusting its position.
    Hitting them with Burning Blood ot Melfs Acid Arrow chips away at their HP too. But do it out of their visual range.

The pit can't be 'soloed' you need a hire or dog to turn a valve for you.
    It actually can be completely soloed. The third furnace is tricky though as you are relying on the air jet to behave properly. You pull the wheel, get on the air jet as fast as possible, and when it shoots you up aim your camera in the direction of the wheel and catch the upper-most pipe.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member EnjoyTheJourney's Avatar

Thank you for all for the input. It's much appreciated, and very helpful for my palemaster on my F2P account (EnjoyTheMoment). I'm running her in the Zombie shroud now and questing is going better. I'm looking forward to learning the quests mentioned here, as I move my F2P characters forward.

On another puzzling note, I was able to make a first post on my F2P account, which is the OP in this thread. I had no idea I wasn't supposed to be able to post with a F2P account. But, I figured it out after I couldn't make a second post with that same account, to reply and say "thank you" here, and I did a bit of research into differences between account types.

F2P account should be able to post. But have seen a few people report problems with it. Would guess it's a bug introduced with the new forum 'improvements'. Think you should be able to complain in the forum service and support area and get them to fix things.

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidZombie View Post
    Zombie is still available at 6, is it not? Or was that changed in the enhancement pass? -1 to your spell DCs is a small price to pay for all of the benefits of undead traits at that level (IMO).
    I'm loving zombie form on a new wizard I'm working on.

Zombie is now level 3
    Vampire 6
    Wraith 12
    Lich 18

Community Member

This may be a bit dated, but maybe it will help
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Guide_to_Pal...g_Light_damage