Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Community Member Wizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,125

    Default Will the old Ottos Box be retroactively changed into the new ones?

    Title.

    Will the Stones inside the old Boxes be retroactively changed into the new ones?
    Will the old Ottos contain the Reincarnation Timer as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Severlin and Severlin Online. PLAY FOR FREE* NOW!

    *maybe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Reroll.

  2. #2
    Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Krelar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    Title.

    Will the Stones inside the old Boxes be retroactively changed into the new ones?
    Will the old Ottos contain the Reincarnation Timer as well?
    I'm not sure what thread it is in but someone copied a toon with a box to lamannia, it is now called something like "old otto's box" and works the same as it always has. The stone is similarly re-named and retains the old functionality.

    Edit: Found it

    Quote Originally Posted by Maelphistez View Post
    Just to check, I swapped a Box to a character on Live and then transferred him to Lam...

    Box is now listed as "Old Otto's Irresistible Box". Items inside are exactly as they are on live, notably the stone is ML8, Bound to whoever opened the box, gives XP to level 16. So... all of you who recently bought the "old" boxes.... sorry.
    Last edited by Krelar; 10-23-2013 at 06:23 PM.

  3. #3
    Community Member Wizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    I'm not sure what thread it is in but someone copied a toon with a box to lamannia, it is now called something like "old otto's box" and works the same as it always has. The stone is similarly re-named and retains the old functionality.
    That's some ******** right there. Old otto's box? lol. They can retroactively change every single Risia item with Icy Burst but they can't (or better they WON'T) retroactively change an item THAT COSTS 5K TP?

    Wow, that's so disappointing.

    Devs: can we expect the GMs to exchange our old Boxes with a new ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Severlin and Severlin Online. PLAY FOR FREE* NOW!

    *maybe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Reroll.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    That's some ******** right there. Old otto's box? lol. They can retroactively change every single Risia item with Icy Burst but they can't (or better they WON'T) retroactively change an item THAT COSTS 5K TP?

    Wow, that's so disappointing.

    Devs: can we expect the GMs to exchange our old Boxes with a new ones?
    Why wouldn't they retroactively change stones that people have too? I guess once they've taken you for your money from the first boxes they can hope you'll purhcase the new ones so the can change them so they only work with whoever opened the box again, and rinse/repeat it.

  5. #5
    Community Member Forzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    That's some ******** right there. Old otto's box? lol. They can retroactively change every single Risia item with Icy Burst but they can't (or better they WON'T) retroactively change an item THAT COSTS 5K TP?

    Wow, that's so disappointing.

    Devs: can we expect the GMs to exchange our old Boxes with a new ones?
    You paid for the old version item and you got exactly what you expected. There is no chance at all it will be replaced. That's like asking to have your Windows 8 replaced free of charge when Windows 9 comes out.

  6. #6
    Community Member Wizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    You paid for the old version item and you got exactly what you expected. There is no chance at all it will be replaced. That's like asking to have your Windows 8 replaced free of charge when Windows 9 comes out.
    I farmed the former Risia games and I got exactly what I expected. There is no chance at all it will be retroactively changed nerfing them to the oblivion.

    YET they did. And this can be said for:

    TOD Rings
    ML1 BTA Equip
    And many other things

    So? What's your point? I still paid to get those packs. Admit Turbine should retroactively change the Boxes too already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Severlin and Severlin Online. PLAY FOR FREE* NOW!

    *maybe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Reroll.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    France
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    I farmed the former Risia games and I got exactly what I expected. There is no chance at all it will be retroactively changed nerfing them to the oblivion.

    YET they did. And this can be said for:

    TOD Rings
    ML1 BTA Equip
    And many other things

    So? What's your point? I still paid to get those packs. Admit Turbine should retroactively change the Boxes too already.
    Considering he considers using ship buffs an exploit, and he doesn't even play any more I I'm pretty sure you can ignore any opinion he spouts.

  8. #8
    Community Member Wizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sloene View Post
    Considering he considers using ship buffs an exploit, and he doesn't even play any more I I'm pretty sure you can ignore any opinion he spouts.
    Right you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Severlin and Severlin Online. PLAY FOR FREE* NOW!

    *maybe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Reroll.

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Updating the boxes that people might still have sounds like a goodwill gesture they ought to consider, given the current climate of opinion...
    I'm a snuggly, fluffy, cuddly-wuddly little rabbit.

    And if you call me a gamer grrrrl, I will reach down your throat, rip out your pancreas and feed it to my Rottweiler.

  10. #10
    Community Member Forzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    So? What's your point?
    My point is that it is pointless to ask for a retroactive change of this item. You can try to change their mind but they won't do it.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    You paid for the old version item and you got exactly what you expected. There is no chance at all it will be replaced. That's like asking to have your Windows 8 replaced free of charge when Windows 9 comes out.
    I'm just happy that the new boxes aren't worse than the old boxes AND that they 'deprecated' my old boxes. The new boxes being an upgrade (or anything in DDO being an upgrade right now) will get no complaints from me.
    Tajawuka 20 Bladeforged Paladin running divine ETR's (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's, 3 martial epl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

  12. #12
    Community Member Wizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    My point is that it is pointless to ask for a retroactive change of this item. You can try to change their mind but they won't do it.
    So you completely ignored my reply pointing out how they did the exact same thing many times already and just replied to a quote out of context?

    I'm speechless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Severlin and Severlin Online. PLAY FOR FREE* NOW!

    *maybe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Reroll.

  13. #13
    Community Member arkonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,550

    Default

    honestly i dont see any issues here. if the old ones have the same stuff as the new heroic one sure. if not No. Not to mention NO you should not be upgraded to the epic one because you "bought" it. don't feel entitled to this if you think that. So my point is if the old one has exactly the same stuff as the new one then sure why not. if it doesnt then you're getting freebies because boo hoo i wants it. /not signed for that.

  14. #14
    Community Member Wizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    honestly i dont see any issues here. if the old ones have the same stuff as the new heroic one sure. if not No. Not to mention NO you should not be upgraded to the epic one because you "bought" it. don't feel entitled to this if you think that. So my point is if the old one has exactly the same stuff as the new one then sure why not. if it doesnt then you're getting freebies because boo hoo i wants it. /not signed for that.
    Let's not kid ourselves. The Old ottos box and the new Heroic box are the same minus the Reincarnation reset. The working of the stone inside is the one changing.

    Of course I wouldn't get an official reply on the issue, mind you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Severlin and Severlin Online. PLAY FOR FREE* NOW!

    *maybe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Reroll.

  15. #15
    Community Member Forzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    So you completely ignored my reply pointing out how they did the exact same thing many times already and just replied to a quote out of context?

    I'm speechless.
    You asked me what was the point of my post and I told you exactly that. If it helps you, I will elaborate.

    The cases you mentioned are not the exact same thing. When you buy a pack you gain the right to access the quests in that pack. Turbine gives no guarantees on the loot in the pack and has the right to change whatever they want to the pack. However, the promise of you keeping access to the quests in the pack is kept. From a legal point of view this is valid. Whether it's good practice to change loot retroactively is another point; it is certainly not good management of expectations.

    When you bought the old stone you were promised the amount of XP that would take you to lvl 16. It still does exactly that. Hence, Turbine keeps their promise and they do not have to change anything. If they decided to nerf the stone and apply the nerf retroactively to all previously bought stones, then you would have a point, legally speaking. Of course, they could upgrade the old stone as a sign of goodwill, but since they badly want to sell these new stones, I doubt they will.

  16. #16
    Community Member Wizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    You asked me what was the point of my post and I told you exactly that. If it helps you, I will elaborate.

    The cases you mentioned are not the exact same thing. When you buy a pack you gain the right to access the quests in that pack. Turbine gives no guarantees on the loot in the pack and has the right to change whatever they want to the pack. However, the promise of you keeping access to the quests in the pack is kept. From a legal point of view this is valid. Whether it's good practice to change loot retroactively is another point; it is certainly not good management of expectations.

    When you bought the old stone you were promised the amount of XP that would take you to lvl 16. It still does exactly that. Hence, Turbine keeps their promise and they do not have to change anything. If they decided to nerf the stone and apply the nerf retroactively to all previously bought stones, then you would have a point, legally speaking. Of course, they could upgrade the old stone as a sign of goodwill, but since they badly want to sell these new stones, I doubt they will.
    When I bought the Cannith Challenges, I was promised a certain amount of XP every time I did that. Now it doesn't anymore. They did in fact nerf it. I would not have bought it if I knew they would nerf it to the oblivion. So I don't really care if I kept the access to the quest, I have lost those TP that I would have spend on something else. The same goes for Ottos boxes.

    I really don't care about the legality or not of this. They should in fact change all of old Ottos box retroactively just because it would be a good thing to do so. They don't NEED to do it, but they sure SHOULD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Severlin and Severlin Online. PLAY FOR FREE* NOW!

    *maybe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Reroll.

  17. #17
    Community Member Forzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    When I bought the Cannith Challenges, I was promised a certain amount of XP every time I did that. Now it doesn't anymore. They did in fact nerf it. I would not have bought it if I knew they would nerf it to the oblivion. So I don't really care if I kept the access to the quest, I have lost those TP that I would have spend on something else. The same goes for Ottos boxes.
    You weren't promised xp, but you did buy the pack because of the xp. Like I said, I agree that it's poor management of expectations to change stuff retroactively, because it sometimes removes the reason why people bought the pack/item in the first place. That's a different discussion though, because the Ottos boxes were NOT changed retroactively.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    I really don't care about the legality or not of this. They should in fact change all of old Ottos box retroactively just because it would be a good thing to do so. They don't NEED to do it, but they sure SHOULD.
    Maybe. If they do it they will sell fewer new boxes. It's hard to tell whether the gain in goodwill makes up for these lost sales in the long run. Most likely not.

  18. #18

    Default

    DDO store items can never be changed while players have said item in their inventory.
    Said items cost real world money (or TP points earned with tons of in game time), and are hence treated special.

    This is why the Bigby's Box was not retroactively fixed, and why the upcoming Otto's have a new name.

  19. #19
    Founder Alavatar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,358

    Default

    It would be nice if the Barter Box for the Old Otto's Box gave an option for a trade to become the New Heroic Otto's Box in addition to the other two options (shards or cube companion).

  20. #20
    Time Bandit & Hero SirShen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    Title.

    Will the Stones inside the old Boxes be retroactively changed into the new ones?
    Will the old Ottos contain the Reincarnation Timer as well?
    You should know by now that turbine never retroactively change anything that will benfit the player eg. Epic weapon changes still need to use epic tokens to update to newer version. Weapons updates with augment slots need to get the newer version. Dragonscale need to break them down at a loss to make the newer version. Im sure there are alot more just cant think of them. So answer is sadly no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload