Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm afraid to leave Eberron

I've been playing for quite a few years, always content never TRing. I have gotten 12 characters to level 18 playing very casually and then just stopped. I didn't TR, I just stopped. I've finally been able to find a character I'd like to take all the way up there (my amazing Shadar-Kai Rogue) but I don't know how to proceed. I've been playing a lot of Skyrim and kind of avoiding the game because I don't know, I'm a little scarred to push forward. I have the expansion, I can start in my epic destinies, that's not the problem, but I've only barely dipped my toe in the Forgotten Realms and am a bit afraid to start doing these new things. I love my Eberron, and I do not know how to transition over to the expansion and start grinding those quests.

Now there's no groups doing ToD or anything in Eberron though. There's no Epics in Eberron other than Gianthold that people are doing, and I know I can't just stay in Gianthold forever. Being my first time in Epics, I probably want to do a few with a group so I don't get insta-melted. I don't know how to get over this fear and boldy play the game again. I don't want to TR, but I don't know how to move forward.
    ~Sarlona~ - Proud Member of The Unrepentant
    Maelodic - Rockin all the day long
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    Praise Dog, and Maelodic, his prophet.

Just go in and test them on epic normal. If you've done the higher level eberron content on elite, you will see that it's much easier than that.

Feeling a little homesick, eh?

To be honest, this whole forgotten realms deal is quite a gamble if you ask me. I will admit, I kinda got used to the Eberron setting before the web of chaos series was released, but now that I look back on it, its starting to look a lot smaller now...

I really hope that they begin to wrap up their work on the forgotten realms and focus more on epic content for Eberron. Ever since the game was released to the public, they've only scratched the surface of the continent, I mean, just look at this map:

There's TONS of content that can be used for heroic and epic levels in this game with how much space is available on this map. If any of the developers are reading this, I HIGHLY encourage you to print out and post a map of Eberron near your desk to remind you of just what exactly you have to work with.
    Here's a riddle for you: What do you call people who play the game for only a day and apparently know everything?

I'm not afraid to leave Eberron.. I just don't like to.
    The FR content may look pretty, and it does, but it all feels so generic and soulless to me. It's like a paint-by-numbers example of how to construct a stereotypical Fantasy World.

I wanted to like it. I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I'm not afraid to leave Eberron.. I just don't like to.
    The FR content may look pretty, and it does, but it all feels so generic and soulless to me. It's like a paint-by-numbers example of how to construct a stereotypical Fantasy World.

I wanted to like it. I don't.
    A beholder private eye hires you to help hunt down the Maltize Cockatrice. In Faerun, that's either a drunken bards tale, or an illusion spell gone awry. In Eberron, that's Tuesday.

To more directly answer the op: Take what you know, crank up the numbers, give the mobs a different paint-job, and simplify the reasons for running, the gameplay inside of, and the rewards for doing the quests, and you've got the 20+ game as it stands at present.

Unless you live in mortal terror of banality, you should be just fine, though I'd likely recommend poking your head in on hard first (with the disclaimer that the numbers you'll see likely are no where near indicative of elite).
    Last edited by Scraap; 10-21-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Epic normal and epic hard are pretty easy. Since you have epic destinies you should be able to just walk in and kill everything. If you can't then spend a bit of time in stuff like epic carnival or eBoB unitl you have a few ranks of destiny and then goto FR and kill everything.

Of course, I don't much like the FR content. Writing banal and uninteresting and it's either very small scale or it makes you a side kick to the Eleminster.

Quote Originally Posted by knightgf View Post
    Feeling a little homesick, eh?

To be honest, this whole forgotten realms deal is quite a gamble if you ask me. I will admit, I kinda got used to the Eberron setting before the web of chaos series was released, but now that I look back on it, its starting to look a lot smaller now...

I really hope that they begin to wrap up their work on the forgotten realms and focus more on epic content for Eberron. Ever since the game was released to the public, they've only scratched the surface of the continent, I mean, just look at this map:

There's TONS of content that can be used for heroic and epic levels in this game with how much space is available on this map. If any of the developers are reading this, I HIGHLY encourage you to print out and post a map of Eberron near your desk to remind you of just what exactly you have to work with.
    Yeah I agree, I don't have anything against FR and toril but...........theres so much that could of been done in Eberron still, I guess they wanted to cash in on the FR setting which is older and more famous than Eberron? Way more books and material on it, i prefer the graphics in the FR part of the game but no reason that can be the same with new eberron content. But I guess they wanted to cash in on all the drittzzxxxxxxtards out there? And NW was coming out the next year?

I'm not saying that a transition to FR couldn't have been interesting, but it's handled in a pretty silly manner.

"Oh hai, epic level necromancer from another world! won't you run an errand for me and help save my fishing village?"

Quote Originally Posted by Maelodic View Post
    There's no Epics in Eberron other than Gianthold that people are doing
    I don't know on what server you play but on Khyber people also do VoN, Chronoscope, House P, some Red Fens/House D and even Sands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingwei View Post
    I'm not saying that a transition to FR couldn't have been interesting, but it's handled in a pretty silly manner.

"Oh hai, epic level necromancer from another world! won't you run an errand for me and help save my fishing village?"
    Want to know how you fare in FR? Reduce your levels by 20. That is your FR level. There are a few exceptions, but mostly this mirror what you were facing in Eberron around that level. Examples...

FR Level 21: You go into a lost temple to save a group of youngsters that got imprisoned by the drow. The epic twist is that the girl have impressive magical powers.
    Eberron level 1: You go into an abandoned temple to save a girl imprisoned by the wight of a necromancer.

FR level 22: You go into a drow city to incite them against their allies.
    Eberron level 3: You go into a hidden hobgoblin city to find out some great secret from the giant empire.

FR level 23: You help the Harpers against a mad druid sect.
    Eberron level 4: You help the Coin Lords against a crime lord.

FR level 26: You go into a prison city to save innocents and defeat Shar cultists.
    Eberron level 6: You go to a remote island to save friendly ogres from a dark priest of the Six.

FR level 27: You avoid a massive invasion from Netheril by ruining their plans.
    Eberron level 13: You avoid a massive invasion from Droaam by ruining their plans. Ok, the level don't match here, but we can't have a level 33 chain yet.
    Alternativelly, you can remember that you saved a tiefling from starting a invasion from an old legendary library.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelodic View Post
    I've been playing for quite a few years...
    Hello,

I think I can understand how you feel. I came back to the game a few months ago from a 3 years time away from the game. By the time I got back there was this new thing called Faerun and a Cormyr and something called Eveningstar (is that an item? I thought at that time). Then I did the Lords of Dust chain and I kind of got a bit of information about the subject but still was really afraid to start anything in Eveningstar after I hit 20.

How I came to overcome that is by simply running no quests what so ever till I got more familiar with the lore, enemies and the difficulty. I did this through collecting commendations in King's Forest, the difficulty doesn't compete with EE but at least it competes with EN and EH. It really helps understanding how that new world works and functions in general. On top of that you get gear to use in the epics.

The only problem you might have is that teams fill up slowly in this area.

Hope that helps.
    I am the architect of my own destruction...

How to Group With Clerics

A beholder private eye hires you to help hunt down the Maltize Cockatrice. In Faerun, that's either a drunken bards tale, or an illusion spell gone awry. In Eberron, that's Tuesday.
    Hah! Brilliant.

I actually like settings like FR or Greyhawk more than I do Eberron, but DDO's take on FR isn't really the best out there. Besides, FR epic levels aren't really all that fun unless you start exploring the more exotic locations.

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    Want to know how you fare in FR? Reduce your levels by 20. That is your FR level. There are a few exceptions, but mostly this mirror what you were facing in Eberron around that level. Examples...
    Great comparison. I admit, this doesn't really feel right. They should've gone with real epic content/story in FR, or better yet sent us to continue traveling the planes after defeating Lolth.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    Level 7 you save house denith from a pirate invasion, and instead of a flying glacier it's an airship.

Community Member

either post a lfm or join one ....

your on sarlona not khyber...we arent that serious

alot of people love questing with people who havnt seen the content yet....we can live vicariously through their fresh excitement

FR expansion was an interesting idea..
    But after 1 year i must admit : was a wrong idea.

This game and these settings, ..but expecially the Eberron background, doens't match at all with Forgotten Realms.
    They had to consider the possibility of creating a totally different game apart.

Now they want us to be forced to play in there..? a very bad idea.

At least they should consider to make a lesser ''traumatic'' (=boring) passage between the 2 worlds.
    Or just make the Hall of Heroes Free to all OR just create something better than the ugly Harbor entrance,

If they will not listen to some advices of ours this game will be dead within 1 year by the update20.

cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by drathdragon View Post
    At least they should consider to make a lesser ''traumatic'' (=boring) passage between the 2 worlds.
    I thought you could enter the Hall through Stormreach teleporters? Or do you have to have completed the Lords of Dust chain first?
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Quote Originally Posted by drathdragon View Post
    FR expansion was an interesting idea..
    But after 1 year i must admit : was a wrong idea.

This game and these settings, ..but expecially the Eberron background, doens't match at all with Forgotten Realms.
    They had to consider the possibility of creating a totally different game apart.

Now they want us to be forced to play in there..? a very bad idea.

Or just make the Hall of Heroes Free to all OR just create something better than the ugly Harbor entrance,

If they will not listen to some advices of ours this game will be dead within 1 year by the update20.

cheers,
    Wrong idea indeed, many of us dispise being in there and avoid it at all costs.
    The way they handled the U14 and later packs was lazy at best (in terms of writting/gear/loot/exp etc)
    The game is bleeding people for a whille now (no small part due to U14/U19) but the new tr system will likely be the dead of the game

For non iconic toons we need to run 3 quests to get to the rift between worlds (another quest), a total of 4 quests just to get there.
    The subpar raid attached to that requires 15 quests total to flag (at the top of my head)

Community Member

I'm not surprised you're afraid to leave... they're a bunch of savages over there in Toril! Did you know that they don't even have trains?!

To say nothing of gods running around unchecked, some kind of peasantry versus nobility class war, excessive usage of the word "ye" and at least one form of major apocalypse every time a new edition of the Dungeons and Dragons tabletop game is released. Don't even get me started on the ultra-feminist elves with a spider fetish...give me a respectable blue-and-purple, jungle dwelling scorpion worshipper any day. What a backwater.

In all seriousness, though...the Forgotten Realms content is strong and beautifully presented, and I'd encourage you to give it a try. Just remember to pack clean underwear and a portable magefire cannon, I'm not sure they've mastered either laundry or being civilised just yet.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Honestly the only good thin about the generic realms is its bloody beautiful compared to Eberron in DDO but they could have easily done that with a new location within Eberron.

Other than that it feels like a bunch of pretty rehashs of Eberron content (examples shown above by Nibel) where your never actually the hero just some errand boy/girl for Elminister and the arious other ridiculously powerful and equally useless NPCs that parade you around in the generic realms, than after doing nothing take all the credit

Clatterfist and Scraap said it best

Quote Originally Posted by Clatterfist View Post
    I'm not surprised you're afraid to leave... they're a bunch of savages over there in Toril! Did you know that they don't even have trains?!

To say nothing of gods running around unchecked, some kind of peasantry versus nobility class war, excessive usage of the word "ye" and at least one form of major apocalypse every time a new edition of the Dungeons and Dragons tabletop game is released. Don't even get me started on the ultra-feminist elves with a spider fetish...give me a respectable blue-and-purple, jungle dwelling scorpion worshipper any day. What a backwater.

In all seriousness, though...the Forgotten Realms content is strong and beautifully presented, and I'd encourage you to give it a try. Just remember to pack clean underwear and a portable magefire cannon, I'm not sure they've mastered either laundry or being civilized just yet.
    Honestly the only reason I started running the generic realms content is simply because they stopped making Eberron content and I needed something new to play.
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 10-21-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    Level 7 you save house denith from a pirate invasion, and instead of a flying glacier it's an airship.
    Nah, that would be only quest comparasion (TTT vs WGU). I was focusing more on full chains than single quests. Sentinels storyline in general doesn't match Storm Horns storyline like they compare with Attack on Stormreach.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast