Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

It is said that she ultimately perished at her own hands when, in her utmost hunger, she devoured herself.

Community Member

The

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by uncleblue View Post
    Thank you for pointing out the connection I could not.

Light a light turning on: Tokens were held in bags.

They are forced to monetize it differently, or accept it would never make them another cent.

And people were SO SURE this had nothing to do with the dupers.....

VINDICATION!!!
    I'm not sure that works as an excuse to be honest.

I have never and will never buy a Heart from the DDO Store, I've always bought them with Tokens.

Let's imagine for a moment that I duped a load of Tokens (I didn't, but for the sake of argument let's pretend I did).

So in this scenario I've gone from buying Hearts with Tokens to...

Buying Hearts with Tokens, I just have more Tokens to buy them with.

Either way Turbine gets no money from me in this scenario.

Community Member

From a new guy:

Barrier of entry, designed to frustrate mechanics and not creating meaningful ways for new players to pay for stuff.

Caveat:

I don't know the majority of the "big" issues as I haven't been here for long but that's whats wrong from someone with a marketing career who wants to play this thing.
    1) If I have to go to a player run wiki to learn basic mechanics about a game, it's not going to be up to date or easily verified. This is a problem.
    2) Some mechanics seem to be designed to waste my time/force me to 'see the meta-economy' which is always bad.
    3) When you gate off the "cool" stuff where's my incentive to pay? I don't know how cool "cool" is and if it's worth my money to buy. With no means of previewing the non-F2P material I'll never know what I'm missing out on - so why do I care? This is probably the biggest flaw in the current design.

Buying Hearts with Tokens, I just have more Tokens to buy them with.

Either way Turbine gets no money from me in this scenario.
    Yet now you've managed to speed your way through what would have been a grind. This allows you to occupy different space in the game ie: early level content. If Turbine wants the game to feel 'full' in the high levels AND low levels they need you grinding. This creates a sense of community, an active and lively game that people are willing to spend money on because they feel like their investment isn't being wasted.

It's not about "you" it's about what you bring to the environment. That's how F2P-style mechanics encourage growth and spending. It's not about each individual player.
    Last edited by Xianio; 10-22-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Default what is wrong with the game

1. constantly creating new bugs every update.
    2. Power creep, invalidating raid items people spent countless hours acquiring.
    3. Causing Player distress over bad game changes/bad game design choices. for example TR changes to heart of wood.
    4. Invalidating old systems like poison immunity, disease immunity, and secret door detection/true seeing.
    5. nerfing players - like displacement being changed to self cast only. You use to be able to cast on others.

Cash grab

They started this slowly a few years ago. The money they made off the store was not enough to sustain their desire so they decided to put out updates and call them expansions (at $50 each). Since the money income has possibly slowed they will have us rerun the same old content as it is expensive to create new content. This is fine to an extent, but then they decide that they will squeeze a little more and make sure that they are only able to add 2 new quests to the next update, but 2 dozen new items to the store.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    Cash grab

They started this slowly a few years ago. The money they made off the store was not enough to sustain their desire so they decided to put out updates and call them expansions (at $50 each). Since the money income has possibly slowed they will have us rerun the same old content as it is expensive to create new content. This is fine to an extent, but then they decide that they will squeeze a little more and make sure that they are only able to add 2 new quests to the next update, but 2 dozen new items to the store.
    I don't understand why they didn't give Shadowfell better experience and loot. It wouldn't have cost them any more and the pack would have sold much better.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xianio View Post
    Yet now you've managed to speed your way through what would have been a grind. This allows you to occupy different space in the game ie: early level content. If Turbine wants the game to feel 'full' in the high levels AND low levels they need you grinding. This creates a sense of community, an active and lively game that people are willing to spend money on because they feel like their investment isn't being wasted.

It's not about "you" it's about what you bring to the environment. That's how F2P-style mechanics encourage growth and spending. It's not about each individual player.
    It's not my intention to dismiss what you're saying, but I do feel that you're mistaken. You've stated that you're new, I don't know how new, but perhaps there are parts of the game you are unfamiliar with.

Let's use my Monk to illustrate what I'm getting at.

My Monk has every single Epic Destiny fully capped and is currently TR'ing to gain beneficial Past Lives (Working on Pally Past Lives atm for more Healing Amp). When she hits 20 she duo's Cannith Challenges for Tokens to buy a Heart and goes back to Lowbieville. She's already done her time in the Epic content and honestly outside of two items that I could use for her build she's completely geared for now. Took a while to do, but I did it.

I have six characters between Levels 20 and 28 and six characters between Levels 4 and 18.

I already cover those areas.

I used myself as an example in the scenario because I don't feel I'm too atypical a player, I don't for a second believe that everyone is like me, but nor do I doubt that there are many others in a similar situation.

Some players dislike Epic content, some love it, some like both. That's how you get an even spread across the levels (Making content that appeals to the player-base), not by forcing people to run higher level content so that they can get back to lower level content.
    Last edited by Archangel_666; 10-22-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Community Member

It doesn't really matter how it plays out - just that it does. That's the only reason to create graded content like Tokens.

The idea (at least the most prevalent one) is to create incentives for players to spend for convenience while also keeping them with other active players so that nobody/fewer people play in a "sub-optimal" way. Sub-optimal being defined by Turbine, not me.

While I don't pretend to know the exact ins and outs, that's not really the point I was making. F2P systems are supposed to encourage 2 things: dropping a little bit of money to bypass the grindy part and to keep numbers up. You having unlimited tokens bypasses the pay which is bad, but what's worse is that you bypass the secondary effect thus completely defeating the purpose of graded content.

Quote Originally Posted by bdog77 View Post
    the
    /win!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community Member

Default no...

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Players duplicated metric tons of tokens.

Management chooses cheapest man hour method possible to handle this abuse. Remove the primary use of tokens.

-------------------

Too long for you? Then "cheaters screwing up the game for the rest of us."
    no that's incorrect. The TR changes were announced prior to the dupefest

Quote Originally Posted by dixonurhand View Post
    no that's incorrect. The TR changes were announced prior to the dupefest
    Incorrect. That changes to TRing were coming we knew. We did NOT know, however, they were going to be royally shafting people until last Friday
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Sir Winston Churchill

2015 DDO Players Council Daerius of the Blessed Blades's Avatar

Too much development time is spent reworking existing, working aspects of the game (such as the saga commendations vs. tokens issue, constantly over-complicating crafting, etc) in lieu of developing new content and fixing real, game affecting bugs. It makes you scratch your head and wonder where the priorities are.
    Founder & Guild Leader, The Circle of Night (Ghallanda): Daerius (FvS), Branwynn (Brd), Fahrn (Pal), Khrandok (Bbn), et. al.The Circle of Night on Ghallanda recruits "uncommon men and women" to our guild ranks. Only mildly elite. Inquire Within...

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

lack of direction

Quote Originally Posted by Eistander View Post
    Direction, or lack thereof.
    dangit! ninja'd!

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

Monks.

Community Member

/flame on

If you really want to know what's wrong with the game take a look in the mirror. Turbine has made some "questionable" decisions of late but the true problem is with the community. Turbine has no choice but to fix their errors, if they want the game to thrive but you all need to pull your head out.

At one point in time, you could come to the forums and actually learn something about the game. The community used to be helpful in the forums and in game. Now you have turned into a bunch of sanctimonious prats.

I can only imagine that most of the people "on the bridge" were recently back from their bannings and were only there to make sure that they got the most out of the ill gotten gains. Good on ya, you won your little battle.

For the most part you "Dedicated players" alienate the vast majority of newbies from the game. You don't group with them, you don't offer advice in the chat channels, and you ignore their questions. Fine stay with your guild runs and private chat channels... you won't have a game for long and all the b****ing that you have done will be completely and totally for nothing. You claim to love the game, then do something for it and shut up. Start playing the game in a way that encourages new players to stay instead of driving them off like bullies.

This is a game. It is supposed to be fun, but you make it a very difficult place to be. If I leave DDO it will not be because of anything Turbine has done. They are a business and they have to make money. That is the only way the game will continue. All you people who think that everything in the game should be attainable for free, get out of your mom's house and get a job. After you actually work for a living you may realize that "NOTHING" is free, not even a game.

tl:dr

Pull your heads out of your collective butts and stop acting like prats. Maybe them we can see the game grow again because it is truly the best MMO out right now.

-10hp
    Some people are like Slinkies
    They don't really have a purpose
    But they still bring a smile to your face
    When you push them down the stairs

Quote Originally Posted by TheylostmyID View Post
    /flame on.
    Turbine is the one making money here, not players. If they are worried about retaining players, it is their job, not mine. I will not get a bonus check, I will not get a pension and I will not get better benefits if 10 or 10 million people are playing.

Word of mouth is the best and cheapest form of advertisement. The forums use to be full of positive, when people were positive about the game. The reason why it has gone somewhat negative is not because of any certain type of player, it is because of Turbine.

P.S. I have tons of money to blow on entertainment, but I will not blow it just to circumvent cash grab ploys that Turbine dreams up.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by TheylostmyID View Post
    /flame on
    I like the cut of your jib.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234