Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Short Version: DDO Store

Long Version: When DDO: Unlimited launched, it was promised the store would be for convenience items only. The problem is what WB/Turbine considers convenient and what people feel is P2W.

That disconnect is the root of DDOs problem. Mana pots, tomes, raid timer bypass, boxes, shards, etc. sell like hotcakes because they're so convenient, to the point of its the expected way to play.
    Last edited by kuro_zero; 10-20-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    Officer of Disciples of the Apocalypse on Sarlona
    Himawari Life 3 - 1 FvS | Svipul Life 3 - 1 FvS | Chikaze Life 2 - 2 PAL / 2 MNK / 4 FVS
    Completionist Project: GLaDOS - Life 14 of ??: Bladeforged 'Zeus' - Started 22/02/14

Quote Originally Posted by kuro_zero View Post
    Short Version: DDO Store

That disconnect is the root of DDOs problem. They sell like hotcakes because they're so convenient, to the point of its the expected way to play.
    That problem is because Turbine has a habit of introducing a significant new source of grind, and then after letting the players vent a bit, they break their silence and come out with some new DDO Store knick-knack that alleviates the grind. The players rejoice like the good sheeple they are, forgetting all about the fact that Turbine was responsible for the grind in the first place. They feel validated that Turbine "listened" to them and gave them a way to make the grind less of a chore.

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    That problem is because Turbine has a habit of introducing a significant new source of grind, and then after letting the players vent a bit, they break their silence and come out with some new DDO Store knick-knack that alleviates the grind. The players rejoice like the good sheeple they are, forgetting all about the fact that Turbine was responsible for the grind in the first place. They feel validated that Turbine "listened" to them and gave them a way to make the grind less of a chore.
    The case can be made that this was the case with the TR2+ grind. Tomes of learning and bigger XP pots (+20% was highest in the game when I took a break in 2011).

Tomes was generally met with enthusiasm or indifference - let people pay for em doesn't affect me mentality - to now no raid is run for tomes.

I don't think anyone was demanding raid bypass timers.

The MotU prorder XP stones, their popularity paved the way for Otto's.

ASAH... uggg... probably sprang from the old Astral Diamond bypass option for several item upgrades (Attack on Stormreach and Sentinals come to mind).

Generally there isn't a DDO grind that I don't believe is terribly unreasonable, until now. I won't mention you know what to prevent this thread from being moved.
    Officer of Disciples of the Apocalypse on Sarlona
    Himawari Life 3 - 1 FvS | Svipul Life 3 - 1 FvS | Chikaze Life 2 - 2 PAL / 2 MNK / 4 FVS
    Completionist Project: GLaDOS - Life 14 of ??: Bladeforged 'Zeus' - Started 22/02/14

monetization

Community Member

Dont blame the Dumpers for the upcomming change in tr. In my oppinion the Way was already written. The Dumpers have nö Problems if they made tokens they just make there hearts before U20 hits and smile. There hearts will be still working.
    The only people hitting with that are the people who didnt dumped there tokens.

The only thing why i Play the Game is because of the Good made tr system. (Never change a Running System)

Turbine Wanst Money but they dont See behind there Plans that they kill the Game --> and there Money

Cant wait until Monday morning to see how they explain to us how running 795 quests for a TR is reasonable.

Lack of moderation.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    Cant wait until Monday morning to see how they explain to us how running 795 quests for a TR is reasonable.
    They won't. They'll tone it down, maybe even as far as knocking a zero off, and count on folks being more interested in not-staying-mad than seeing-things-improve while they continue to profit off their predecessors efforts while simultaneously convincing themselves they know better, and the core system remains in place.
    Last edited by Scraap; 10-21-2013 at 01:09 AM.

Everything is working as intended.
    Distributed - Currently on life 90.

Quote Originally Posted by kmoustakas View Post
    "The people who develop this game and the people that direct them don't actually play the game."
    It's a fallacy to say that you have to play your game to make it good. A developer does not look at the game the same way the players do. It might even be detrimental to the overall effort.

I think what you are trying to say is that the people who develop this game and the people that direct them are out of touch with their client/player base, and do not devote enough time focus-testing the new content and the game changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendron View Post
    Dont blame the Dumpers for the upcomming change in tr. In my oppinion the Way was already written. The Dumpers have nö Problems if they made tokens they just make there hearts before U20 hits and smile. There hearts will be still working.
    The only people hitting with that are the people who didnt dumped there tokens.
    Well, actually I can see how the change may have been promoted internally as follow-up to duping. Still, no reason to screw over EVERYONE in the process.

With so many things going from BtA to BtC, I wonder why we even have a shared bank anymore?
    Last edited by Ausdoerrt; 10-21-2013 at 02:31 AM.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

In a few words:
    Lack of level 28 raid
    Poor originality on wheelon / high road quests
    (Well i would say bad extension compared to MOTU which was
    Great in my opinion)
    Nô originality on new gear
    Lack of LFM and player attrition due to above
    **Anamalia level 25 Cleric **
    Guild Stealer of souls

Community Member

People have hit upon several different good reasons. I personally think that the "Ego" and "Hubris" as top choices so far in the thread.

However, if I were to select something, it would be:

** Adding Epic Levels **

"The people who develop this game and the people that direct them don't actually play the game."

Thus, they have no idea what they are doing. They rely on imagination and feedback.
    While they probably don't actually play the game in a real sense. I am sure they play it to some extent. The real problem is they work on an older game, and want to move up in the company or whatever. Maintaining and fixing other peoples code and ideas just wont look good on a resume. So they aren't motivated to fix bugs that are years old, and try to change everything so they can list it in a bullet point on their resume when trying to switch to whatever new game turbine is working on.

Turbine just doesn't understand that people have been playing this game for years and more or less like it the way it works. Sure adding new classes, areas and races are nice. But fundamentally changing the game play; like oh I dunno marginalizing all the current raid content and not adding any new raids is a risky move. Keep it simple stupid, make new adventure packs to sell and fix the bugs. The amount of new adventure packs compared to hair brained changes from turbine at this point is pretty disturbing.

Thus, they have no idea what they are doing. They rely on imagination and feedback.

They were told : 'simplify the game'. So they randomly went up and did what they thought would accomplice that. They were told generate more revenue from the premium players. They change tr'ing into $$

I think it's more to do with them losing touch with their player base, revenue is fine and it's needed, there are 100 ways they could easily have us clamoring for our wallets but they don't listen to what we are asking for.
    I would wager they would have made double what they have from astral shards by making extra CHARACTER bank slots and REAL ingredient bags for casters. Now in an effort to sell hearts, they will kill off otto's, xp pots etc.. as less tr's will be taking place and it's usually that 3rd life + grind that has you reaching for them.
    The Arms Of Orien
    Dokalfar - Jhanjra - Khlaryssa - XiaNYdE - Tammin Burfoot
    In a way, we are magicians. We are alchemists, sorcerers and wizards. We are a very strange bunch. But there is great fun in being a wizard. -Billy Joel

Community Member

broken.

Direction, or lack thereof.
    Science may be theory, but stupidity is proven.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Players duplicated metric tons of tokens.

Management chooses cheapest man hour method possible to handle this abuse. Remove the primary use of tokens.

-------------------

Too long for you? Then "cheaters screwing up the game for the rest of us."
    Thank you for pointing out the connection I could not.

Light a light turning on: Tokens were held in bags.

They are forced to monetize it differently, or accept it would never make them another cent.

And people were SO SURE this had nothing to do with the dupers.....

VINDICATION!!!

pay to win
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJgrubb / Gijo

Selling out

Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

EGO.

Turbine's employees egoes.
    Locking, deleting, hiding threads instead of taking the humble path to use the forums to interact well with their players.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast