Community Member

Default Improved feint questions

I know that these questions may have been asked before , but i have to ask them again just to be sure that i got it right:

1) Does this skill use your bluff skill, or does it have a DC of it's own?

2) Is it true that the bluff effect from this skill wears off if you attack a monster affected by it, instead of the 4 second wait?

It's been broken since U14.

The biggest problem with it is that unlike all other tactical moves, it can be interrupted.

Suppose you're autoattacking, or holding down the left-mouse button, and hit cleave. Cleave gets queued up and is inserted into the attack animation chain and life (or ensuing death) goes on happily. As it should.

With Improved Feint, there is a delay between the attack animation and the bluff being applied. ANY action between these interrupts the bluff being applied: Autoattacking, not releasing the mouse button, taking a step, blocking, anything. You have to Stop attacking, hit Feint, wait 1.5ish seconds for the bluff to be applied, and then resume attacking.

But to answer your questions:
    It uses your bluff DC, prior to U14 it functioned like deception and was no-fail.
    It's a 4 second debuff, but because of the delays you have to impose on yourself to get it to actually land, you typically only get in one hit.

i have an assassin that spams Improved Feint (and bluff and shadow dagger) as often as possible, and IF is dodgy as all get-out :/

however, most importantly of all, the bluff timer counts from the bluff check, not the attack, so you do get your 4 seconds of bluffed enemies - and yes, potentially that is enemies plural, if they're close enough (pretty much on top of you). bluff cannot bluff multiple enemies, but IF can. i often finish off one mob and start on another that's still taking sneak damage

secondly, the delay is somewhere between .5 and 1 seconds, but it does feel longer when you're waiting for it. once you're used to it you can start attacking just as the enemies become bluffed, before you even see the animation for it.

third, while you cannot do just about anything else while waiting for the bluff proc, you can move. unfortunately, taking damage can cancel the bluff, which sucks royally. not sure if there's a concentration check or if it's random, as it doesn't always seem to prevent the bluff. you learn to try to time it to the enemies attacks, similar to spellcasting whilst being attacked.

overall, IF is a pain to use, but the 8 second cooldown means that as a rogue you can IF, bluff, IF, shadow dagger, IF, bluff, and IF again before you have to stop doing sneak damage for any serious length of time.
    http://captiongenerator.com/8795/ddo-u20changes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ape_Man View Post
    Having a clue about what you're talking about is not a prerequisite of posting on these forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Think of it as trolling by not trolling.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I'll add that IF can be pretty handy if you also have Cleave+GC, because sneak atks will proc on cleave atks if the targets are bluffed (or helpless or aggroed on someone else or otherwise vulnerable). It's a key ability to my staff builds. That lag is annoying, but it's still a useful ability under the right circumstances; basically you have to train yourself to turn off auto-atks and wait just long enough for the bluff to proc before swinging away.

Community Member

Also, is it true that if you attack an enemy bluffed by IF, you cancel the bluff effect even if the timer hasnt reached 4 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by DJGravity View Post
    Also, is it true that if you attack an enemy bluffed by IF, you cancel the bluff effect even if the timer hasnt reached 4 seconds?
    no, not at all. bluffed enemies remain bluffed for the correct duration while you're attacking them. otherwise it really would be a useless waste of 2 feats.
    http://captiongenerator.com/8795/ddo-u20changes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ape_Man View Post
    Having a clue about what you're talking about is not a prerequisite of posting on these forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Think of it as trolling by not trolling.