Question game keeps flicking back to the Windows desktop. not sure why.

I seem to be having this problem where for no reason the game will flick back to the windows desktop and i have to alt-TAB back into the game.

The little login window is showing but it says that the game is already running.

I know its not the biggest problem in the world but its getting on my nerves.

system is Win 7 64bit. ATi 689 card.

any suggestions ?
    Real join date: Update 7

Community Member

starting with the obvious
    are you playing an artificer? Alt for rune arm, Tab to select next target
    any third party apps (skype/whatever) or annoying windows popups?

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    starting with the obvious
    are you playing an artificer? Alt for rune arm, Tab to select next target
    any third party apps (skype/whatever) or annoying windows popups?
    nope, not on arti. happens on any class.
    I turned off Windows Sticky-Keys but that makes a beep when its hit (5xShiftkey)

Community Member

try playing in a window to see if there's something fishy happening when ddo loses focus... dunno, good luck

Quote Originally Posted by humbleroller View Post
    I seem to be having this problem where for no reason the game will flick back to the windows desktop and i have to alt-TAB back into the game.

The little login window is showing but it says that the game is already running.

I know its not the biggest problem in the world but its getting on my nerves.

system is Win 7 64bit. ATi 689 card.

any suggestions ?
    Do you have a spare keyboard you could try? Or you could try popping off the keys and cleaning under them.
    By what you are describing it seems like your open windows key (between ctrl & alt) is sticking or has a short. OpenWindows + D key is a keyboard shortcut to the windows desktop.

Community Member

I'm getting the same issue, I'm not sure why. I'm running Vista Premium 32 bit.

Searched the internet to find a solution, and it seems to be tied to a web browser and suggestions put forward state things like clear cache, history, cookies (all the usual). Another solution specifically for Windows 7 was to disable a feature in Ease of Access.

Also had a look in my Task Manager to see if anything was suspicious on there, and several AwesomiumProcess.exe are showing. This is used by Turbine for some reason to do with viewing web pages or something in game. So I'm thinking it could be to do with a web browser issue.

I've done all the standard stuff like run av and spyware scans, Razar game booster doesn't seem to prevent it, and it only changes back to desktop whilst playing the game. And I've noticed it's random when it does it, there's no set time interval. It's not dependant on key stroke combinations.

Another thing that maybe connected, several times whilst trying to start the client and join the server I play on, the game seems to close down and I have to sign in and select the server again.

I'll post again if I come up with a solution.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

The last time that was happening to me was because the anti virus was grabbing focus for a split second.

Let me say I dropped that program very fast and never went back. I think it was avast or some such. I forget now.

so you may want to task kill most programs running in the background to see if it wasn't one of them.

ahh, now this never occurred to me.
    I have AVAST anti-vir and also COMODO firewall.

both are set to silent gaming mode.

i will give it a shot. +1 to you, sir/madam.

Same problem here. Though it happens rarely and I didn't pursue.

Intuitively I would also point to Antivirus (Avira installed) as that's my only program that pops up to update regularly.
    NedrilFavored Soul . GidraMonkcher . LambalorBard . Cannith