Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default Sneak Attack and Venomed Blades

    I noticed that when I have Venomed Blades activated, I don't get sneak attacks when I attack a mob that is unaware of my presence. Looking at the combat log, it appears that the Venomed Blades damage is applied first and that damage alerts the mob to my presence, preventing me from making a sneak attack. Does anyone know if this is WAI? It isn't on the Known Issues list.

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Same thing with Lacerating Shots in Mechanic.

    Bugged me at first, but honestly, that first sneak attack doesn't account for much. Better just to have someone else or a hire run ahead and get aggro first.

    Also Venomed Blades is awful for the AP cost. If you need to buy that just to unlock higher tier enhancements, only take 1 rank of it. The first 2 AP gets you 1d4. The other ranks are 2 AP for an additional *potential* 1-2 damage. You can still roll a 4 or less with each hit and not even benefit from those higher ranks of Venomed Blades. Not to mention some things are totally immune to it and it keeps turning off on its own.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adelair View Post
    Same thing with Lacerating Shots in Mechanic.

    Bugged me at first, but honestly, that first sneak attack doesn't account for much. Better just to have someone else or a hire run ahead and get aggro first.

    Also Venomed Blades is awful for the AP cost. If you need to buy that just to unlock higher tier enhancements, only take 1 rank of it. The first 2 AP gets you 1d4. The other ranks are 2 AP for an additional *potential* 1-2 damage. You can still roll a 4 or less with each hit and not even benefit from those higher ranks of Venomed Blades. Not to mention some things are totally immune to it and it keeps turning off on its own.
    It's not a huge deal, but it does make Venomed Blades pretty much worthless. I'll bug report it, since it seems like it isn't WAI.

  4. #4
    The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Dandonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    5,278

    Default

    Yes, I noticed this, too, on my assassin rogue. Makes it hard/impossible to land assassinate while Venomed Blades is active. Bug reported it, too.
    It's definitely an N-word.

  5. #5
    Community Member Ashlayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    852

    Default

    While I do have the problem of it shutting itself off a lot, I've been running around the Vale of Twilight with it active on my assassin, and I can assassinate. I flagged it for Cannith raids last week, and was assassinating mobs in there regularly, with it running, more force of habit than anything else; enter explorer/quest and activate it, shrine and then activate it. On my damage, it shows up last, either as an actual number or 0 with Immune showing up when I can't assassinate the mob, and when Imp Deception procs, I get sneak attacks showing as an extra non-typed damage number. It needs looked at, to be sure, it's a toggle and shouldn't have to be activated every time you turn around twice, but so far, with the assassin version, I haven't encountered these other issues.

  6. #6
    Community Member Satyriasys's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    While I do have the problem of it shutting itself off a lot, I've been running around the Vale of Twilight with it active on my assassin, and I can assassinate. I flagged it for Cannith raids last week, and was assassinating mobs in there regularly, with it running, more force of habit than anything else; enter explorer/quest and activate it, shrine and then activate it. On my damage, it shows up last, either as an actual number or 0 with Immune showing up when I can't assassinate the mob, and when Imp Deception procs, I get sneak attacks showing as an extra non-typed damage number. It needs looked at, to be sure, it's a toggle and shouldn't have to be activated every time you turn around twice, but so far, with the assassin version, I haven't encountered these other issues.
    were you assassinating things that were immune to your poison?
    Join Date: Nov 2009

  7. #7
    Community Member Ashlayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    were you assassinating things that were immune to your poison?
    Yes, in Cannith, they are all immune to poison. If it weren't for getting into the habit of turning it on every time, I wouldn't have bothered with it, but, due to the bug, I am in the habit.

  8. #8
    Community Member Satyriasys's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    Yes, in Cannith, they are all immune to poison. If it weren't for getting into the habit of turning it on every time, I wouldn't have bothered with it, but, due to the bug, I am in the habit.
    I meant to ask, Are you assassinating things that are not immune to poison? but re-reading your post it seems you are.
    Join Date: Nov 2009

  9. #9
    Community Member Ashlayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    I meant to ask, Are you assassinating things that are not immune to poison? but re-reading your post it seems you are.
    Yeah, not sure why it seems to not be working for others, but other than my hireling hating me in Vale, it's working just fine.

  10. #10
    Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Krelar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    Yeah, not sure why it seems to not be working for others, but other than my hireling hating me in Vale, it's working just fine.
    My guess is your hireling is getting their attention first. The problem is if nothing has their attention and you try to assassinate it tends to break.

    I can get it to work once in awhile but what I think is happening is that improved deception goes off before the assassinate. (so not reliable but happens fairly frequently)

  11. #11
    Community Member Ashlayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    My guess is your hireling is getting their attention first. The problem is if nothing has their attention and you try to assassinate it tends to break.

    I can get it to work once in awhile but what I think is happening is that improved deception goes off before the assassinate. (so not reliable but happens fairly frequently)
    This does happen, frequently, but if I have a small group, 2 or 3 bunched together, I tend to park the hire and sneak up and get them. A lot less fighting that way, even if I only get 2 of 3, or 3 of 4, depending on how tightly grouped they are, and if there are any spiders to rat me out. What I have also found, upon reflection, is that if they have 2 or 3 eyes running, Assassination fails more frequently.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload