Thread: The TR Dollar

Community Member

Default The TR Dollar

Go to youtube, look up "Bill Hicks Marketing". EDIT: It is not boring marketing info. You should probably avoid this and other Bill Hicks comedy if religious.

It is literally destroying the real world, and now the virtual world.

Separation of design and marketing is absolutely necessary for the health of this game. Some of the players are too dumb to connect the dots, but most aren't.

Designers are responsible for making the best game they can, period. No hidden agenda, no subterfuge, just quality game mechanics/bug fixes and responsible fun/addictive play with great new content.

After, and only after this is accomplished allow the hell spawn to come in and figure out how to make more money off of the game(as in ddo store sales/promotion for example), but without allowing them to change the game design and mechanics one iota.

Do this and the game will succeed, if you continue on the present course it will fail.
    Last edited by 01000010; 10-20-2013 at 05:31 AM.

Community Member

Default Mr hicks

Bill hicks is a god btw.

I use his tactics to deal with trolls on the forums quite handily, lol.

The microtransaction model saved this game, but also put it on a slow road to destroying itself eventually anyway. As mentioned, all design decisions now have to be made with monetezation prioritized over game play. This is why we don't have enhanced heal scroll or cure critical pots for plat. This is why TR hearts require any sort of grind or payment in real world dollars at all. Turbine doubled the drop rate of all non raid items... except you have to pay for it. In a monthly sub system, these sort of money-trumping-gameplay decisions just plain wouldn't happen as there wouldn't be a reason for it. Turbine has to make the heart of wood more grindy than necessary in order to produce sales of hearts from the store. Gameplay suffers because money talks.

Some people will say, "Turbine is a business and has to make money." I agree that they have to make money. I disagree that the game has to suffer or be subpar as a result, however Turbine has no issue with this. Making poor gameplay decisions in order to try and get more money out of people will drive players away, not get them to spend more. As the OP put it, make the gameplay a priority and monetize that. Don't find ways to monetize the game then integrate them. That's a recipe for disaster. Turbine, you've got it backwards.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Bill Hicks, another dead hero.
    Gemdeath (Gimp Completionist)
    Wolfclan Wharfrat Furios and others. Yes my grammer sucks

Community Member

Default I should add an edit

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    Bill Hicks, another dead hero.
    Think i should add an edit to OP, to most people "Bill
    Hicks Marketing" probably sounds like very dry viewing, lol.

However, if religious i advise you avoid Bill Hicks comedy. Hes not shy about being brutally honest.

Boy, he IS rude, but boy, he is right!

Might add MBAs into his dermon, though... Or else there should be a new sermon for MBAs as well - they have a special place reserved in hell - where they first have to reorganize the department before they might burn in peace!