Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ? How Many Different Healing Potions ,Do We Need?

there are WAY to many pots to list,but suffice to say, there enough different ones to fill 2 hotbars,i think. Being an older Dice player ;I pick pure fighter in all my D&D games ,for 1st toon.....He he most heal pots are in DDO store.Gee what a funny deal that is.How About Some buyable ,for platinum/or Cleric comms(Clerics have no heal to trade for?)Heal PotiONS TOO.Ashamed that DDO would Cheese such a basic fundamental.
    Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond link{ http://www.kingdiamondcoven.com } /''horror and moral terror are your friends'',Col. Kurtz/King Diamond Coven , lvl 79Ghallanda /43 Sarlona

Community Member

I don't get why you think Fighter should be entirely self-sufficient just with simple (non-Store) heal pots, just off the shelf? Wouldn't it basically devalue every class with self-healing, if everyone could get by just fine with pots? DDO is not D&D, and anytime you try to shoehorn PnP into an MMO, you're going to be disappointed. It even tells you Fighter is not recommended for easy solo play in character creation.

Fighter has a lot going for it - lots of DPS, high AC and still decent avoidance, and a buttload of feats. The tradeoff is no self-healing, you're reliant on having a healer in your party.

Incidentally, buy a cleric hire, that'll solve your problem.

Also, are you calling for more or fewer types of pots? Your title suggests the latter, but then you're calling for more to be added in? Or are you just asking for Store pots for free?

I don't think better potions for melees would devalue any class. Maybe if DDO was actually a role playing game and clerics were played like healers. The push for every class to be self sufficient and "I'm not your nanny" has been in the game for several years now. Best options for melees is to bend their builds by taking points from their strength stats and put into stats that give more skill points and higher umd, mix classes or buy better potions from the store or live with csw pots or deal with stat reducing, save reducing and run speed reducing SF pots. On top of that they have to build for high hamp to get the most benefit from pots, find gear that is best for their build that will reduce as much damage as possible and craft to wear GS blur items. Blue bar classes dont even sacrifice half as much as melees, but have no problem not helping them out and complain because they take damage in combat.

I Dont Like the DDO store Heal POt system....adding so many xtra pots to sell (only in store ,and quite xpensive
    ,is kinda rude to players)....adding Heal potions wouldnt save your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;they would give the SLOW HIRES time to get a heal off!!!!!!!!!!!not even a cure critical potion in market to buy? hmmm...maybee this isnt d&d?
    Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond link{ http://www.kingdiamondcoven.com } /''horror and moral terror are your friends'',Col. Kurtz/King Diamond Coven , lvl 79Ghallanda /43 Sarlona

[QUOTE=droid327;5139026]

Incidentally, buy a cleric hire, that'll solve your problem.

reply'powskier' spoken like someone who never used a cleric hire.

Community Member

[QUOTE=Powskier;5139217]
    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    spoken like someone who never used a cleric hire.
    I've run several lives with only a Cleric hire, soloing Elite content with little problem. Once you hit Epic, everyone gets Cocoon anyway, and cleric hires work fine through Heroic.

[QUOTE=droid327;5139342]
    Quote Originally Posted by Powskier View Post

I've run several lives with only a Cleric hire, soloing Elite content with little problem. Once you hit Epic, everyone gets Cocoon anyway, and cleric hires work fine through Heroic.
    Helf it, cast heal scrolls at lv 9. Or if ur a freep, then toss a lv of cleric or something in there. Honestly how can anything in this game besides a barb raging not be self sufficient anymore? Well unless going pure lol.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Default This is not about self sefficiency

thread subject ,is asking why so many different healing potions in DDO store.......but so few available in the game.Store has enough to fill multiple hotbars.But , none available ,for trade at least(from collectors)Cleric trader ,in evengstar ...has no healing potions; Answer is only $ and Cents...DDO cares nothing for fairplay on this subject...NO MORE self SUFF craap replies. ...best avail is cure moderate wounds,must be a DDO accountant decission

Default This is not about self sufficiency

thread subject ,is asking why so many different healing potions in DDO store.......but so few available in the game.Store has enough to fill multiple hotbars.But , none available ,for trade at least(from collectors)Cleric trader ,in evengstar ...has no healing potions; Answer is only $ and Cents...DDO cares nothing for fairplay on this subject...NO MORE self SUFF craap replies. ...best avail is cure moderate wounds,must be a DDO accountant decission

Community Member

You dont make a darn bit of sense. You want it like pen and paper? It is. Cure critical wounds can't be turned into a potion with a normal brew potion feat, only levels 1-3 spells. What's the highest you can buy? Oh right, serious.

And everyone can UMD scroll heal. Helf it if first life, or rogue splash, and you'll get them pretty easily around level 11. When you've got some gear and past lives? I can no fail heal scrolls on a 12 cha base cross class (fighter/ranger/monk) around level 15, and they're decently reliable at 11.

Edit: Yes, I agree, it's unfair that blue bars have it so much easier... but there again, CSW is a major advantage to rangers over fighters. And paladins I would say it's an advantage but they suck so bad comapred to everything except maybe barbs that who cares.
    Last edited by DrakHar; 10-20-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakHar View Post

And everyone can UMD scroll heal. Helf it if first life, or rogue splash, and you'll get them pretty easily around level 11. When you've got some gear and past lives? I can no fail heal scrolls on a 12 cha base cross class (fighter/ranger/monk) around level 15, and they're decently reliable at 11.
    How do you do this exactly?

I have a ranger with rogue levels. Max skill ranks. He has a +6 exceptional charisma skills item. He has another item that provides him with +3 to umd. He has greater heroism. At level 15, that doesn't get you to 39.

What do you have? Something 'easy' like 3 artificer past lives? A +5 charisma tome? (my guy has a +3).

You say you are doing this without umd as a class skill? How many ranks do you have at level 15? 9? So you are getting 30 points of umd from other sources? I find that hard to believe.

with GS you should be able to nab another +6 stacking.

1 or +2 luck bonus.

umm you could take umd feat for a +3 until you reach end levels and switch out.

+3 tome maybe +4 not sure what level that kicks in.

Past lives you could jack cha up to 16 base.

I believe theirs also some enhancements that increase it.

It's actually been awhile. With all the changes I should look up all the long term stacks and lv's and see the numbers.

Thats just heal scroll whipping. With devotion and the expanded healing crits you can get on armor, as well as nabbing empowered heal with heal amp even cure serious is going to net you a nice quick burst of hp.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    I have a ranger with rogue levels. Max skill ranks. He has a +6 exceptional charisma skills item. He has another item that provides him with +3 to umd. He has greater heroism. At level 15, that doesn't get you to 39.
    39 is the mark for no-fail Heal scrolls. You can probably get by with only ~75% success at 35. So at L15, full ranks (18) + 4 GH + 6 Except CHA skills + 3 UMD + 4 CHA Mod gets you to 35.

interesting,but fighter ,gets least skill points to distribute,and has low Int, usually.So UMD adding would hurt balance,jump and stuff.I did do lesser TR to boost heal skill(I think that helped incoming a little)Fairly self sufficient;using barbarian regen and heal spring ,in twists.Just wanna be able to buy/or Trade collectables ,some sort of Heal Pot...they only do around 200 pts healing(I have a cove heal potion) ,if u area fighter anyway...Soveriegn potions are The Real Joke,and my Beef w DDO;Super xpensive ,and Quite rude considering a Cure Mod wdns is best a player can buy.Heal scrolls avail.,why not heal potions?

Bard hirelings beat cleric hires any day, their AI is better, they can heal well enough to matter, and they have songs and Haste and usually Blur.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Powskier View Post
    interesting,but fighter ,gets least skill points to distribute,and has low Int, usually.So UMD adding would hurt balance,jump and stuff.I did do lesser TR to boost heal skill(I think that helped incoming a little)Fairly self sufficient;using barbarian regen and heal spring ,in twists.Just wanna be able to buy/or Trade collectables ,some sort of Heal Pot...they only do around 200 pts healing(I have a cove heal potion) ,if u area fighter anyway...Soveriegn potions are The Real Joke,and my Beef w DDO;Super xpensive ,and Quite rude considering a Cure Mod wdns is best a player can buy.Heal scrolls avail.,why not heal potions?
    take this feat

http://ddowiki.com/page/Magical_Training

Magical Training
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Icon Feat Magical Training.png Magical Training

Usage: Passive
    Prerequisite: none

Description

Magical training increases maximum spell points by 80. It also applies Echoes of Power if the caster drops below 12 spell points. Characters with this feat are considered proficient with orbs.

As of Update 17, this feat is now a trainable feat.

As of Update 19, this feat also grants +5% chance to Spell Critical.

Magical Training is automatically granted the first time that a character gains a level in any of the following classes: Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Favored Soul, Sorcerer or Wizard. It can only be taken once however, so it is not advisable to take this feat if you plan to add any levels of these classes at a later time.
    echoes of power will bring you back up to 15 sp over couple of seconds when you run out, so you will always be able to cast...

Rejuvenation Cocoon: Active (12 SP activation) (12 sec cooldown) (Empower Heal, Quicken, Enlarge) (SR: no) Protect target ally with a shield of [90/120/150] temporary HP for 9 seconds. Heals 5d6 HP every 2 seconds while the shield persists.
    Then get a ruby of devotion and whatever heal amp gear you can find.

Community Member

hmm, have you looked into the silver flame potions? sure they are far from idea but they do kick back a decent chunk of HP each time. i have them on my barbarian and while it's not made him self sufficient it has allowed him to stay alive long enough to mop up then drag the hirelings stone back to a shrine.

my biggest beef with them is not the penalties but the lack of decent stacking!

edit: you can drop the heal skill unless you are planning to twist in cocoon. like a devotion item the heal skill only boosts spells you cast, not spells cast on you

you can easily bag the 30% healing amp gloves from the purple knights quests (or just commendations in general with the 3 for 1 trade in), that will boost all incoming healing no matter the source and is very easy to farm for. if you are human or half elf you can also splash some enhancement points in healing amp. it's a very important stat for any front line character as it gives a large boost to the healing you get.
    Last edited by ReaperAlexEU; 10-22-2013 at 07:36 PM.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    How do you do this exactly?

What do you have? Something 'easy' like 3 artificer past lives? A +5 charisma tome? (my guy has a +3).

You say you are doing this without umd as a class skill? How many ranks do you have at level 15? 9? So you are getting 30 points of umd from other sources? I find that hard to believe.
    9 ranks
    7 - 24 cha (12 base, 2 tome, 2 ship, 6 charisma item, 2 completionist. Sure, not everyone has a ship, but, without decay its becoming far more common. I agree, without completionist this becomes very difficult)
    6 cha skills
    1 - ship buff
    1 - good luck
    1 artificer past life
    2 completionist
    3 Bunny hat (Can't tell you how many people forget about this)
    3 or 4 GH, I seem to recall one doesn't stack with either the house p ship buff or the voice
    3 tome
    If you want a few more points, you could eat a +3 skill tome, a +4 charisma tome, get more good luck bonuses, or simply start with a 14 cha instead of 12.
    I wasn't no failing them at level 11, that's true, though on my life with max ranks I was coming pretty close (six more ranks is worth more than the 4 from past life stuff) and by 15, with 18 ranks, I was no failing them when I had full ranks. The tome is new acquirement (got it about a week and a half ago).

In any event, this is all gravy. No one expects you to scroll yourself at level 11 anyhow. They do at level 18 when your hp pool and mob damage becomes high enough for them to be necessary. And at level 18, you can definitely no fail heal scrolls on a 2nd lifer with UMD as a class skill.

---------------------

Yes, that's a lot of work put into it. But you'll notice I said "if you've got past lives and gear, you can do it cross class"
    On my NON completionist lives, I always splashed rogue to make it a class skill.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakHar View Post
    9 ranks
    7 - 24 cha (12 base, 2 tome, 2 ship, 6 charisma item, 2 completionist. Sure, not everyone has a ship, but, without decay its becoming far more common. I agree, without completionist this becomes very difficult)
    6 cha skills
    1 - ship buff
    1 - good luck
    1 artificer past life
    2 completionist
    3 Bunny hat (Can't tell you how many people forget about this)
    3 or 4 GH, I seem to recall one doesn't stack with either the house p ship buff or the voice
    3 tome
    If you want a few more points, you could eat a +3 skill tome, a +4 charisma tome, get more good luck bonuses, or simply start with a 14 cha instead of 12.
    I wasn't no failing them at level 11, that's true, though on my life with max ranks I was coming pretty close (six more ranks is worth more than the 4 from past life stuff) and by 15, with 18 ranks, I was no failing them when I had full ranks. The tome is new acquirement (got it about a week and a half ago).

In any event, this is all gravy. No one expects you to scroll yourself at level 11 anyhow. They do at level 18 when your hp pool and mob damage becomes high enough for them to be necessary. And at level 18, you can definitely no fail heal scrolls on a 2nd lifer with UMD as a class skill.

---------------------

Yes, that's a lot of work put into it. But you'll notice I said "if you've got past lives and gear, you can do it cross class"
    On my NON completionist lives, I always splashed rogue to make it a class skill.
    Yes, my issue isn't that it can't be done, only when people say it is easy.

I also tend not to count ship buffs. Some people might not have them available, some people might not want to keep them refreshed all the time, some people might die and lose them.

P.S. Also a +6 charisma item. At level 11, that would require an entire slot dedicated to it. I won't do that just for umd. Especially on a tr, i already have much better gear that i can't slot.

The bunny hat. Isn't that a store item? My guy has a spyglass, but he wouldn't be wearing that if he didn't also do traps.
    Last edited by FestusHood; 10-22-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    39 is the mark for no-fail Heal scrolls. You can probably get by with only ~75% success at 35. So at L15, full ranks (18) + 4 GH + 6 Except CHA skills + 3 UMD + 4 CHA Mod gets you to 35.
    Honestly, for me, 75% equals useless. It WILL fail, when you need it not to fail. Lets not even talk about making concentration checks. If you are talking about out of combat, then who cares? Cure serious pots work for that.

Also, slotting both a +6 charisma item, and an item that has +3 umd on it, is not exactly desirable on a fighter.

My ranger was just running some dreaming dark stuff. Try umd'ing heal scrolls with a charisma of 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast