Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default TR Question - What's the hardest class to level?

I'm right in the process of completing my second life - first was a pure paladin, this one is a cleric/rogue/monk based off the Melee-Capable Survivalist Cleric https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ic+rogue+build . My first life took me some 2 years, this one about 2 months. Much simpler build to play, lots of fun. I'm at L18 and ready to start putting two in the bank.

I have my +20 heart of wood and was wondering if it made sense to switch to a harder leveling class such as Barbarian or Bard before taking my TR and coming back to this same type of build.

So the basic question is - given U19 classes and enhancements - what's currently the hardest class to level?
    Farog on Khyber

Unfortunately the answer is barbarian, which you cannot LR+20 into from any build with monk levels. (You have to be lawful to have those monk levels, and barbarians can't be lawful.)

Save your heart and just pick a fun life to do next. Eventually you may want to skip the barb life after doing a chaotic or neutral build, but there's no rush to do it now.

Save your heart. For me, the worst was Paladin.

Plus, going from 3 classes to anything different is basically impossible w/ the +20 heart as you can't have more than 3 classes at any one point in time (and, while you're doing the LR thing, that includes "the future").
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Save your heart. For me, the worst was Paladin.

Plus, going from 3 classes to anything different is basically impossible w/ the +20 heart as you can't have more than 3 classes at any one point in time (and, while you're doing the LR thing, that includes "the future").
    You can do it so long as you overwrite the 3rd class in the order you take your levels so you're then working with 2 classes - but you can't get around the alignment restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
    I'm right in the process of completing my second life - first was a pure paladin, this one is a cleric/rogue/monk based off the Melee-Capable Survivalist Cleric https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ic+rogue+build . My first life took me some 2 years, this one about 2 months. Much simpler build to play, lots of fun. I'm at L18 and ready to start putting two in the bank.

I have my +20 heart of wood and was wondering if it made sense to switch to a harder leveling class such as Barbarian or Bard before taking my TR and coming back to this same type of build.

So the basic question is - given U19 classes and enhancements - what's currently the hardest class to level?
    Bard is easy sauce. they have powerful CC abilities and party buffs. you can pug it to 20 on a bard just by bringing songs everyone loves a bard.

if you like to play melee just roll up a Warchanter buff yourself up fascinate the mobs and hack away.

Paladin I found to be a real PITA but it was my first 3rd life class so might have made it a bit of a grind for me.

Druid I did not like at all I felt like the Melee side was OP early on but fell off towards the end. I hear caster druids are better but I enjoy Melee classes better.

I am going to go Pure Artificer next life because, I enjoy Artificer then LR+20 to druid for the past life to get my mechanical puppy some buff in the future.

I've played through all the classes and that's my thoughts but, to each their own.

Default hardest class to play

anything you don't like to play,
    classes that require a party to work, sometimes a harsh necessity to solo...

Community Member darkly_dreaming's Avatar

For me, the hardest class is rogue. If you solo you lose a lot of damage for back stab, and it always seems like pugs either want 1 rogue in the group or none at all depending on the trap status of the quest. I know people who swear otherwise, but on no other class have I had so many groups where I'm just never denied or accepted, or after forever (and I've moved on to something else) I get that 'so'n'so has declined your request because their group is now full'. So yeah, I used the +20 heart to turn my 4th FvS life into rogue on my main so I could skip it.
    Goddess, you know it baybee!
    Zealotry ~ Zealot ~ Zeal ~ Chanteuse ~ Conceit : +5 to Sexterity, Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromuro View Post
    P.S: Besides Zealotry's voice is charming/mesmerizing and i bet she is a witch or a succubus disguised.

Quote Originally Posted by darkly_dreaming View Post
    For me, the hardest class is rogue. If you solo you lose a lot of damage for back stab
    You can still get sneak attack damage while soloing with a Deception item.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Deception
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Barbarian is the only reason I will never make a completionist. The glaring lack of reliable self-healing and the mundane 'hulk smash' combat mechanics just put me off the class entirely. Fighter and paladin are a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    You can still get sneak attack damage while soloing with a Deception item.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Deception
    or umd-ing a glitter dust scroll and fighting inside it, or having a rad II shroud weapon, or bluff pulling mobs, or using a monster summon scroll and then using diplo to dump agro onto the summon or, using stunning blow, or splashing monk and using stunning fist. I'm sure there's more but basically you can pretty much always get sneak damage if you put in any effort.

anyways, the worst class to level is paladin, barb is a distant second and fighter third. That is assuming you play a pure, and I wouldn't recommend that. So much easier to level a fighter with 9 levels of monk. and barb with 9 levels of ranger or druid or rogue or bard.
    Last edited by Lonnbeimnech; 10-05-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    or umd-ing a glitter dust scroll and fighting inside it, or having a rad II shroud weapon, or bluff pulling mobs, or using a monster summon scroll and then using diplo to dump agro onto the summon or, using stunning blow, or splashing monk and using stunning fist. I'm sure there's more but basically you can pretty much always get sneak damage if you put in any effort.

anyways, the worst class to level is paladin, barb is a distant second and fighter third. That is assuming you play a pure, and I wouldn't recommend that. So much easier to level a fighter with 9 levels of monk. and barb with 9 levels of ranger or druid or rogue or bard.
    Was just going to say almost exact same thing. For me it's Barb and Bard because I cant "skip" over it with a Monk frame. My past few lives have all had 3 Druid forReaving Roar, Doublestrike, Beguile, Vengeful Hunter. I splashed 6 Monk for Shadow Viel and the other levels for desired past life. I did this with Fighter, Rogue, and Ranger.

For casters you dont need anything really, maybe 1-2 rogue, or 2 monk. Caster lives so OP~!!
    Last edited by Rubbinns; 10-05-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Unfortunately the answer is barbarian, which you cannot LR+20 into from any build with monk levels. (You have to be lawful to have those monk levels, and barbarians can't be lawful.)
    Couldn't I use a +20 LR heart, take the first level as something without alignment restrictions, then use an alignment change and take the rest of my levels as a barbarian?
    Old forum names (that I can't use anymore because of forum changes): Lehmu, Kanttura.
    I play Iioi, Feira, Shrtguy Stabsalot, Hjeelmee Nao, Kesib, Eisiishai, Iioo, Iiio & Havesword Will Travel on Argonnessen.
    I'm also in youtube.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lehmuska View Post
    Couldn't I use a +20 LR heart, take the first level as something without alignment restrictions, then use an alignment change and take the rest of my levels as a barbarian?
    You can't change your alignment while you're on the LR boat.

I would say barb wish I had done it as my first life for sure now not sure when I will do it.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

I'd say Barbarian if you own a Torc, and Paladin if you do not own a Torc.

Paladins with a Torc can play a hybrid melee/healer role and while they aren't all that good at either they can do enough for heroic levels.

Barbarians and no-Torc Paladins don't have the burst DPS of a fighter that speeds up heroic levels.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zirun View Post
    You can't change your alignment while you're on the LR boat.
    Shame. My cunning plan to get a bard past life suddently needs refinement.
    Old forum names (that I can't use anymore because of forum changes): Lehmu, Kanttura.
    I play Iioi, Feira, Shrtguy Stabsalot, Hjeelmee Nao, Kesib, Eisiishai, Iioo, Iiio & Havesword Will Travel on Argonnessen.
    I'm also in youtube.

Splash bard with a few levels of fighter = win. Or something else.

I would much rather do a bard life than a Barbarian life.

or a bit of fighter and cleric with bard.
    Last edited by NaturalHazard; 10-06-2013 at 07:29 AM.

Community Member

I actualy quite enjoyed my Barbarian life. I mean yes - it was kinda.. full retarded DPS. No survivability, glass cannon par excellence. But with a cleric (or hire) in my back, I was able to tear anything to pieces.

I liked it purely for the "crush all" effect.
    As long as you dont like this, barb is not that good of a choice and because of the lack of reliable selfhealing, prolly the worst.

But for me, the worst is paladin. That thing is so boring in all areas... No DPS, No reall healing in group, obsolete tanking technique...

Bard really isnt bad to cap at all. Their songs boost the party so much that an average pug suddenly becomes an above average pug and you all roflstomp the quests. And solo, its like what a paladin should be, self healing melee with ok dps. Displace, haste, rage and regenerating sp and hp, whats not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post

this is a matter of opinion. I only like playing melee classes and tried my hand at cleric and FVS. I don't have the right attitude for caster type classes so if I were to ever level one all the way to 20, I wouldn't like it and I would have a hard time with leveling. I know how to play melees, build them and have fun with them so I find it easy to level them. I think that should be the first question to ask yourself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast