Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Default Don't mess with the stuff that works

There's an example of what I'm talking about that was announced on Friday, but this post is about a more general trend: Messing with things that work just fine.

If you have something that works fine and you want to add something new, that's great. Add something new. If we like the new thing, then we'll use it. If we don't like the new thing, then we won't. There's no problem with that. But don't mess up the old thing when you add the new one. The old thing worked fine and we were all (at least mostly) okay with it. Don't break stuff just to make room for new stuff that is less appealing than the old stuff.
    Last edited by IWCoppercrest; 10-19-2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: **** for profanity
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    There's an example of what I'm talking about that was announced on Friday, but this post is about a more general trend: Messing with things that work just fine.

If you have something that works fine and you want to add something new, that's great. Add something new. If we like the new thing, then we'll use it. If we don't like the new thing, then we won't. There's no problem with that. But don't mess up the old thing when you add the new one. The old thing worked fine and we were all (at least mostly) okay with it. Don't break stuff just to make room for new stuff that is less appealing than the old stuff.
    Indeed.

It feels like the method for deciding what to change is to find the things that we like and then "fix" them until no one likes them.
    Last edited by IWCoppercrest; 10-19-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    /sigh

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Don-t-mess-with-the-stuff-that-works

If I had only 7 words to tell Turbine in the hopes they would actually listen, these would be the words. Don't break what works when you have hundreds of things that are actually broken to fix. The game can be great. It needs some polish. It doesn't need game changing systems tweaks every update.

I'll spell it out because they didn't quite get it with the initial uproar concerning destiny xp loss.

We like heroic TR just the way it is. We don't want epic destiny xp loss. We're happy you changed your stance on that. We also don't want to farm 150 sagas for the opportunity to TR. We don't like how heroic TR will be entirely bound to character. We don't like how we're limited to a subset of epic quests if we want to advance our TR coms. You're changing things that work just fine as they are. People don't like that unless there is a good game balancing reason. An attempt to squeeze more cash from players is not a game balancing reason. Players are unhappy about this change in case you didn't get the message yet.
    Last edited by IWCoppercrest; 10-19-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    If I had only 7 words to tell Turbine in the hopes they would actually listen, these would be the words. Don't break what works when you have hundreds of things that are actually broken to fix. The game can be great. It needs some polish. It doesn't need game changing systems tweaks every update.
    My 7 words for turbine would be those from George Carlin.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Unfortunately, Turbine seems to feel that they have broken something.

Apparently The Twelve doesn't exist in FR (not in this game), so Tokens of the Twelve can't be earned in FR.

Then again, if they simply hadn't changed them from Epic Tokens to "Tokens of the Twelve" they wouldn't need to do anything except have epic tokens drop in FR.