Within a pocket dimension within a distorted region of the Warp where all the troll energies merge

Default What class combination is best for UMD and traps?

Trying to make a "do everything" type of character but have no clue where to start.

I have a level 20 that I intend to TR to this new class(es) has +2 tomes to all ability scores, will be second life.

Community Member

Pure Rogue Mechanic.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimaetus View Post
    Trying to make a "do everything" type of character but have no clue where to start.
    When you say "do everything" do you mean just traps and UMD or do you mean more than that?

Within a pocket dimension within a distorted region of the Warp where all the troll energies merge

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    When you say "do everything" do you mean just traps and UMD or do you mean more than that?
    Pretty much all I care about are those 2

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Pure Human Arty

Quote Originally Posted by ultimaetus View Post
    pretty much all i care about are those 2
    : ) )

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimaetus View Post
    TR into Half-Elf (with Cleric Dilli) 17 Wiz / 2 Rogue / 1 Druid (RDRWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIZ) Go Enchantment line Archmage (39), Pale Master (11) for Vampire, Helf racial (26) maxing Dilli, Druid Season's Herald (4) for scrolls and wands, starting with at least 16 Wisdom and max Intelligence. You'll be able to do traps, use raise and heal scrolls/wands, charm all types of mobs, evade and do
    decent damage with harmful spells.
    Last edited by Lanhelin; 10-18-2013 at 09:08 PM.

I'll tell you if you take care of your own curses.

If you only want to UMD and do traps, I'd suggest 18Bard/2Rogue.

Bards still get to basically pike, right?
    ~ Pallai, Chennai, Saraphima~
    ~Shipbuff, Sophalia, Northenstar ~
    ~ Ascent~

Community Member

The kings of UMD are artificers, and they also get trap skills, so that would be a strong option if you have access to it. They're generally a "do everything" class in terms of their overall composition, too.

Failing that, rogues are good at UMD and get trap skills, so more or less anything with Rogue levels will work. Just make sure that if you multiclass it, you have enough skill points from your second or third classes to keep everything up-to-date. Rogue 2 / Wizard 18 is a traditional choice for broad competency in a number of areas, and the old pen and paper standby of Fighter / Rogue still translates pretty well if you take enough Rogue levels - feel free to add Monk if you want, that seems to help a ton of builds these days.

Also consider being a Halfling and taking the dragonmark of healing if you don't choose something that gives you built in healing effects. It's a very user-friendly method of adding a few powerful heals a day.