Default DDO - grind free game?

I heard this brought up a few times on other discussions that DDO is a "grind free" MMO, and if this has been brought up before, then forgive me, but, I am a bit confused by this phrase, as it seems that pretty much everything in DDO right now is "grind" driven, so I am wondering is this an inside joke like "Hi Welcome" or something.

If someone could explain this to me, that would be great. Thanks.

First life toon can get to lvl 20 with no repeating any quest (and skipping a big portion of them). Even a multi life character can get to 20 with a minimum amount of quest repeats (really till like 18-19 range) if you have all the packs.

So yeah really..I wouldn't say DDO requires a "grind". Now...the old days a different story there.
    The blade itself incites to deeds of violence.
    Highlanders Cannith - Kalimah, Calimah, Rustymonster, Kraps, Nepheli, Wurshuper

The old retail box had a phrase similar to "the only grind-free MMO!" or some such.

Maybe back in 2006 it was true. Certainly not now. People used to bring it up all the time. Most of those people no longer play, and thus the phrase has fallen into disuse.
    Once, a dev stated (paraphrased) "That was for DDO Stormreach - and now it's DDO Unlimited. So it's like totally not the same at all you guys."

About a 2 weeks ago it was a relatively grind-free MMO, but then a lot of people got banned for making use of that feature. Huh.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeebaNeighba View Post
    About a 2 weeks ago it was a relatively grind-free MMO, but then a lot of people got banned for making use of that feature. Huh.
    I like the cut of your jib.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Play some other MMO's, grind is relative.
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

I guess it depends entirely on the player in question. For players like me, yeah I'd imagine it'll always be a grind free game.

Obviously such isn't the case for everyone as evidenced by the threads presented here.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

ah ok.. cool, I was wondering, Thank you