Default Beginner in need of help -- I have several questions!

Hello there!

My name is Dennis (on these forums I use the nickname "Paprika2215") and I am really new to DDO -- I have never even played the original D&D game. But I recently heard about it, and decided to give this a try, and so far, I really, really like it. But there are several aspects of this game that intimidates me, while at the same time, I think it's super awesome: the main thing here is the incredble amount of different options I find! It's just, all of that can be a bit intimidating to somebody completely new to this online RPG genre, you know?

So, as a beginner, I have several questions, and I hope very much that there are many helpful warriors, sorcerers, barbarians, cleriks, etc. out there who don't mind sharing their knowledge and experience!

Question 1: Is there a certain order in which to do the quests? My character's name is Paprikadude von Chilisauce and I'm at level 2 now, and rank 8 I think... Also, what's the difference between "levels" and "ranks"? I have played several RPGs before, but they only had "levels", so it makes me confused about what is what.
    Question 2: What exactly is a "path"? When I went to my trainer in Korthos Village, she said I was on a "path", and that I could choose to stay on that path or choose to alter it by choosing the abilities to upgrade myself. How do I know which ones to upgrade? Or should I stay on my path? So far, i have leveled up only once, and I chose to pick my own abilities to upgrade. Does that mean my character has left his previous "path"?
    Question 3: I found out that I somehow got some of those "turbine points" before even spending any money. How did I get that? And yes, I do know what they're for, and I already know how the in-game DDO store works, too.
    Question 4: How do I know what the best gear is for my paladin? I only have two good weapons right now -- no, make that three weapons: an Ember Longsword, an Acid-Touch Longsword, and a Fire-Touch Longbow (plus about 300 arrows from the DDO store!). I've also noticed that there are sometimes numbers beside the weapon/gear/item name, like this for example: +1. What does that mean?
    Question 5: Is there someone out there who can, umm, maybe help me out with some good gear? Remember, my paladin is still at level 2.
    Question 6: This last question is perhaps the most important. I'd like to ask if there's anybody who wants to be my friend in-game, so we could team up and quest together? So far, I've done all but a single quest (Heyton's family crypt) by myself. For reference, my paladin's name is Paprikadude von Chilisauce, I don't have a specific server, and I live in Europe, so my time zone is CET (Central European Time).

Alright then, thank you all for listening to my plea for help! I do hope some noble heroes would stand up and raise their sword by my side, so that we may slay many ferocious creatures together! ...*Ahem*, I might have taken the whole "roleplaying" thing a bit too seriously...
    "Not knowing what a funyarinpa is is blasphemous."
    -- Junpei, during the infamous funyarinpa scene from the Nintendo DS visual novel game Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

Quote Originally Posted by Paprika2215 View Post
    Hello there!

My name is Dennis (on these forums I use the nickname "Paprika2215") and I am really new to DDO -- I have never even played the original D&D game. But I recently heard about it, and decided to give this a try, and so far, I really, really like it. But there are several aspects of this game that intimidates me, while at the same time, I think it's super awesome: the main thing here is the incredble amount of different options I find! It's just, all of that can be a bit intimidating to somebody completely new to this online RPG genre, you know?

So, as a beginner, I have several questions, and I hope very much that there are many helpful warriors, sorcerers, barbarians, cleriks, etc. out there who don't mind sharing their knowledge and experience!

Question 1: Is there a certain order in which to do the quests? My character's name is Paprikadude von Chilisauce and I'm at level 2 now, and rank 8 I think... Also, what's the difference between "levels" and "ranks"? I have played several RPGs before, but they only had "levels", so it makes me confused about what is what.
    Question 2: What exactly is a "path"? When I went to my trainer in Korthos Village, she said I was on a "path", and that I could choose to stay on that path or choose to alter it by choosing the abilities to upgrade myself. How do I know which ones to upgrade? Or should I stay on my path? So far, i have leveled up only once, and I chose to pick my own abilities to upgrade. Does that mean my character has left his previous "path"?
    Question 3: I found out that I somehow got some of those "turbine points" before even spending any money. How did I get that? And yes, I do know what they're for, and I already know how the in-game DDO store works, too.
    Question 4: How do I know what the best gear is for my paladin? I only have two good weapons right now -- no, make that three weapons: an Ember Longsword, an Acid-Touch Longsword, and a Fire-Touch Longbow (plus about 300 arrows from the DDO store!). I've also noticed that there are sometimes numbers beside the weapon/gear/item name, like this for example: +1. What does that mean?
    Question 5: Is there someone out there who can, umm, maybe help me out with some good gear? Remember, my paladin is still at level 2.
    Question 6: This last question is perhaps the most important. I'd like to ask if there's anybody who wants to be my friend in-game, so we could team up and quest together? So far, I've done all but a single quest (Heyton's family crypt) by myself. For reference, my paladin's name is Paprikadude von Chilisauce, I don't have a specific server, and I live in Europe, so my time zone is CET (Central European Time).

Alright then, thank you all for listening to my plea for help! I do hope some noble heroes would stand up and raise their sword by my side, so that we may slay many ferocious creatures together! ...*Ahem*, I might have taken the whole "roleplaying" thing a bit too seriously...

Question 1 . There is no real order to do the quests, for the most part. Just try to do lvl 1 quests before you do lvl2 ...and so forth. Each character level has 5 ranks...4 of those ranks gives you an action point that you can spend on chacter enhancements.

Question 2. A path is a pre made build for your character that Turbine has designed. Those paths are sub optimal, but it might be worthwile for you to follow one for your first character during the first few levels. Do'nt be afraid to delete your character and start over. I did that many time when I first started..
    Once you begin picking your own ehnacements and feats, you have left a path...that is not a bad thing.

Question 3. You earn turbine points by earning favor. You earn favor by completing quests. For the first 100 favor you earn, you get 100 turbine points...for each 100 favr you earn after that you earn 25 turbine points.

Question 4. Don't buy arrows or weapons or really any gear from the DDO store. You can get that much cheaper in game. The +1 on you weapon means you gane a +1 on the roll to determine if you hit the monster and +1 point extra damage for each hit. The acit touch or flame touch add +1 of that type of damage to each hit. Which gear you need is more subjective. For a Paladin, go for the best heavey armor you can find and a good shield. You will learn more about gear as you play the game.

Question 5. If you are on the cannith world or would like to reroll a toon on the cannith world, I would be happy to help you out. Send me a private meaasge if you are interested.

Question 6...See answer to question 5

1) a. Quest order doesn't really matter, though I tend to run near my level (+-2)
    1) b. Levels are from 1-28 (20 class levels, 8 epic). There's 5 ranks in a level. 4/5 ranks gives an ap "action point", which can be spent on enhancements. (Ctrl+r)

2) Paths are pre-set builds, with chosen feats and stats, built by turbine. Most players shun these builds, as they are considered bad compared to what a player can make.

3) You got TP (turbine points) through favour - each 100 favour you get 25 TP, along with once per server milestones. (Not sure what the milestones are off the top of my head, sorry.)

4) +1 enhancement on a weapon gives +1 to hit and +1 to damage, making it better than X touch on a weapon. To be blunt, none of those weapons are overly useful, and you'll outgrow them all. (+1 on an armour/shield gives +1 to AC. AC is your "defence" stat, though some people, like myself, ignore it.)
    Now, for some personal and biased advice: Don't use the in game store for things like arrows and/or armour. Save your TP, buy packs (quests and/or adventure areas).

5) Yes, plenty of people - but you'll find good gear is a while away. I'm not overly impressed with your options at low level, simply because nothing is that useful. Sorry I can't help more in that regard. :\

6) I'm too high leveled to be of help, and... uh. When I True Reincarnate (new game+) I zerg. (Aka finishing a quest as fast as humanely possible) until around level 17, when the quests get more fun. (Wheloon prison in particular. Not hard, but at least fun.)

Also, you are on a server - that's the only place where your toon will exist! On another server, that toon no longer exists, unless you made it on every server. (If you did, bonus points for persistence!)

Sorry if I missed a question, 1am and such.

*edit* I should point out, I tend to play at endgame unless I'm re-leveling a toon (TR), so my advice is slanted towards that, making it a bit less new player friendly. (Also, one bit of advice: Pick a fighting style and master it. Very few builds can swap between weapon types (such as two swords versus a shield+sword versus a greatsword)).
    Last edited by Soulfurnace; 10-18-2013 at 08:59 AM.

1) Don't worry too much about it. Level is what quests are listed as, Ranks are sort of a fraction of a level. At increments of 20% of the XP it takes for the next level, you get an enhancement point. If you look in your enhancements section, there are a variety of good (and not so good) things you can take for your character. Don't be afraid to play with those, enhancements are way easier to redo (just some plat) than feats, stats or skills.

One thing to keep in mind with quests, is going in on Hard is effectively one level higher. In theory going in on Elite is two levels higher, but in difficulty it is somewhat more.

Some folks act as if an "Elite Streak" is the end all and be all of leveling. Don't worry about that though, go in on whatever difficulty feels right to you.

2) Paths are premade builds. The fact that you are off of one is a good thing though, as they aren't very good. Even if you do end up worse than with the stock path, your own increase in knowledge about what you did wrong would be worth it.

It is very common to play for a bit, learn what you did wrong, and then start a new character with that new knowledge. Nowadays, you even get one free redo (called a "Lesser Reincarnation") where you can change many, but not all things (Your race, gender, alignment and classes are fixed, but stats, feats and skills can change). Save that though, and learn as much as you can before pulling that trigger. But basically expect you'll need to do that at some point.

3) Whenever you complete a quest for the first time (or on a higher difficulty for the first time), you get favor. Favor can get you a variety of things, and one of those things is turbine points.

4) Your first ever toon won't have the "best" gear, and that's OK. To get really good gear, you'll need to figure out the Auction Hall, and a way to get plat to buy things. Unfortunately this is harder than it used to be due to some recent gear changes. But check out the AH for bargains, you may be able to find some useful stuff you can afford.

The only thing to really watch out for with gear is how it stacks. At low levels, nothing stacks, so you only get the best + you have. If you have +3 strength gloves and a +1 strength ring, you don't get plus 4 strength.... only +1 strength. So try to arrange your gear so that you don't have duplicate abilities. Sometimes they are worth it due to some other ability on the gear, but keep in mind the lesser one of duplicates is wasted.

5) This depends on your server. If you are on Cannith, I can hook you up with something if you feel you need it. Keep in mind though, that if some vet gives you a wizbang weapon, you'll lose out on a couple of "ooooh, what's this? Wow!" weapons along the way. I think it can be worth it for new players if they feel they are just inadequate with bad weapons and need a boost, but the less you twink early on, the more interesting your experience will be.

There is nothing wrong with being "bad" and the game being hard. You'll be learning things that will matter later on. Even when people do get awesome gear early, you still get to a point where things are hard and player skill matters. May as well learn some of those skills early.

6) A good guild is the usual way to go for groups, although for the completely new, it can be hard. One of the issues is that vets don't stay at low levels long, so even if you find someone to hang with, you may notice in a week that he's now 5 levels above you. There are some newbie "we welcome all" guilds on most servers, and they may fit your needs in the beginning, even if you'll out grow them. There is also the Social Panel where you can join groups, or post your own. Don't be afraid of it, and don't be afraid to put up your own groups. You may want to add "I'm new, be prepared for flower sniffing" or something so some vet doesn't come in and blow through the quest before you know what is going on. You may get another new guy, or you may get some vet coming in with the mindset of helping a new guy.

Worst case scenario, pick up a hireling and go solo stuff. I find I learn things way better solo anyway, but that's not true for all people.
    Cannith Server :Vice Sovereign of The Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)

Hello there!

Hi... I would not take your first character to seriously. Look at it as a chance to learn the game... game play... mechanics... character builds.. and much more. You may want to look at "DDO Wiki" easily found... Google it. Another thought is once you learn game play and builds and you are ready to redo your character which most likely you will. Consider 14 min. constitution no matter what class or race you pick... Hit points keep you alive. I hope this helps some.
    Parthos

In front of one of the eldest cemeteries in my city... go figure

Hello there!

First, let me welcome you to DDO, i hope you like your stay!. Now, to answer those questions:

1) There's really no order to the quests, at least not on your first levels and even more if you're free to play (which i infer you are). Ranks are, mainly, some sort of sub-level there is before achieving a new level. Each rank awards you 1 enhancement point, which you can spend by pressing CTRL-R to get new abilities, boost to your actions, spell points (mana), etc.
    2) Paths are premade builds (feats, skills and ability points) offered by the game for beginner players. All of us think they're useless, so it's a general advice that you make a new character, and follow advice on builds. If you are free to play, you'll get two character slots per server. I'll link some beginner builds at the end of this post.
    3) Turbine points are awarded to players by earning favor (Press P to see the Favor tab), which in turn is earned trough doing quests on each difficulty (normal, hard and elite), higher settings earning you more favor (which is accumulative if you do the same quest on a higher difficulty). Favor can also earn you certain rewards from Patron NPCs, but i'll give you some links that explain that a little better than i.
    4) At low levels, the best gear is usually the one with highest enhancement level (that +1 you saw), which means that it does more damage or protects better. That is, of course, for armor and weapons (arrows included) only. Clothing (belts, helmets, cloaks, gloves and boots) and jewelry (bracers, rings, trinkets, goggles, necklaces) give different bonuses to abilities scores, damage reduction, immunity to certain effects, etc. More on that below.
    5) At the low levels, the chests can you give all that you may need, and the rewards from questing help a lot.
    6) Depending on the server you chose, many different groups may be available for questing (Press O to see the Social window, which has the post for Pick up groups, or PUGs and info on your guild, if you have any). Soloing the game at low levels may also be good for getting familiar with your class or classes, so you can be ready for higher challenges.

Now, the builds for begginers:
    Pure Cleric: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5068093
    Evasion Paladin: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5069463
    Paladin-like Cleric: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5115573
    Ranger with trap disabling: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5072817
    Necromancer with trap disabling: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5068723

Here you have a nice blog with info on Favor and other beginner related issues: http://www.gamergeoff.com/favoring-favor/

And here is the DDO wiki, with all the info you'll ever need. Read that, a lot: http://ddowiki.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Numbers are hard. Time travel is easy!

Default Welcome!

First: Remove your real name from your forum signature. This opens you up to identity theft and many other woes.
    Second: What server are you on? If you look at the bottom of the main forums page, you will see threads devoted to each server. A post there will find you a friend faster.
    Third: Do quests in level order. Korthos is set up to pretty much lead you from one area to the next, and teach you the rudiments of what you need to know.
    Fourth: Gear drops in quests. The gear is much better now than it used to be. But, you are a long time, and many re-rolls from really good gear.
    Fifth: The pre-built characters(paths) are not great. But, it is a fast way to get into the game to learn how to do it better. Don't worry, most of us started with a pathed toon also.
    Sixth: Do watch the objectives box in the top right of your screen. It will tell you who to talk to next, and what you need to accomplish for each quest.
    Seventh: Do stay over on Korthos until about level 3. This give you some help when you hit harbor and start those quests.
    Eighth: Do tell groups you are brand new. There is nothing worse than asking if anyone is new, and someone lies. Give folks a chance to help you learn..
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zeleste, Zeeby
    ?

Welcome! The others seem to have the answers covered but id be happy to help you out if you figure out you're on the Orien server

And like the others said, dont be afraid to delete your character and start over. Happens to almost every new player

Good luck!

At level 2 they best gear you’ll get is the gear you’re getting in Kothos. They sorta equip you for the Harbor, and then that’s when you need to start collecting gear.

As for what’s good or not: you have a Paladin, I assume. You are going to want anything that:

1) Increases your AC (Natural armor items, Heavy Armor, Shields, protection items, etc.).

2) Increases your PRR (Physical Resistance Rating).

3) Increases Fortification.

4) Increases doublestrike.

5) Increases Strength.

6) Increases Charisma.

7) Increases Striding.

8) Increases To-hit, and Damage (Accuracy and Deadly items).

9) Increases your Devotion rating (healing).

10) Increases your HP (False Life items or items that increase your Constitution score).

11) Make sure you get and keep a Feather Fall item and an Underwater Action ring.

12) Something that increases your Will and Fortitude saves.

13) A Sacred item for turning undead.

As for weapons you will upgrade almost constantly. The weapons you use now will be outdated by lvl 3, and you will be getting better stuff in other quests. You’ll want a mace / club to kill skeletons (Ghostbane is dropping everywhere), and a slashing weapon for zombies (Again, Ghostbane). Then find a nice weapon for just about everything else.

I forget the quest you need to run, but one of the harbor quests will net you a Muckbane. Use that on oozes.

Community Member

Question 1: Is there a certain order in which to do the quests?
    Press "P" when you're ingame to get a list of all quests, challenges and wilderness areas in your level range. And Patronies too (which shows how much favor you gained for each faction so far). The quest list show's you all recommended quests, who the quest giver is and where she/he is located. It's more a matter of XP doing quests appropriate to your level, than having to have to do quests in a certain order. While there are quest chains (indicated by NPCs with the three goblet symbol above their heads) and quests you need to have completed for say being flagged for a certain raid or to continue in a chain, you never get stucked in a chain or regarding prerequisites. It's all linear this way. If you do not meet the requirements, you won't be able to accept a certain quest. So there's nothing to worry about. What's more important: in the list you won't get a hint which quests belong to which chain or are prerequisites, for this purpose I'd recommend to ask in the forums again or take a look at ddowiki.com

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Hello there!

Welcome to the game.

What server do you play on? I am on quite a few servers and I can either outfit your paladin to ridiculousness, or just help your Paladin out. On a few servers I have stuff that is not even in the game anymore.

Quite a few Europeans are on Ghallanda.
    Quite a few Germans are on Wayfinder.
    Quite a few Chinese are on Sarlona.
    Quite a few Koreans are on Ghallanda.
    Quite a few Brazilians are on Cannith.

Quests.

1. Do Korthos first to get the feel of the game. The loot is terrible, but you get an idea of the game.

2. Harbor you can easily do Korthos or markeplace quests also Loot improves but not much. Toughest quest for low levels is Irestone Inlet. Run Waterworks a lot if you can. Waterworks also has a slayer area. There is another slayer area called Cerulean Hills in the Harbor. Run Durk's Got a Secret until you get a MUCKBANE.

After doing enough of these quests you should have Coin Lord favor to get a FREE inventory page or 20 more slots.

3. Marketplace you can easily do harbor or Korthos quests also

4. Depths Chain in House D'eneith
    5. House K quests Forgotten Caverns, Ruined Halls, etc. All can be found by the tavern by the mailbox in House K. Do House K for favor to get more BANK Storage.

Now you can run quests anywhere as you progress in levels.

As a Paladin you can wear full plate and use tower shields. That is what I use. Full Plate levels 1 to 2 to 4. Battle Plate levels 4 -10. Magecraft Plate levels 10-16. Mountain Plate level 16-20. If you get lucky you can find MASTERCRAFT armor and shields that lower the level requirements. For a weapon, the best 1 handed weapon is the Khopesh, but a Khopesh requires a FEAT to get it.

If you don't like a shield, then a FALCHION is the weapon to use.

The more plusses on a weapon or armor the better it is usually. When you swing you roll a 20 sided die. The higher the number the better. If I roll a 16 and I have a +2 weapon, I add 16+2 = 18 and that is my to hit number.

You have to tell us your server, so we can help. In no way can I send you stuff from my stash on Sarlona if you play on Wayfinder.
    Last edited by moomooprincess; 10-18-2013 at 08:20 PM.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Ghostbane, it's the answer for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ivo_rocker View Post
    Now, the builds for begginers:
    Pure Cleric: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5068093
    Evasion Paladin: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5069463
    Paladin-like Cleric: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5115573
    Ranger with trap disabling: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5072817
    Necromancer with trap disabling: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5068723

Here you have a nice blog with info on Favor and other beginner related issues: http://www.gamergeoff.com/favoring-favor/

And here is the DDO wiki, with all the info you'll ever need. Read that, a lot: http://ddowiki.com/
    Putting all of those links in your Bookmarks/Favorites/What-Ever-Your-Browser-Calls-it until you no longer need the info Don't worry, you will find more links along the way ;p

One thing I want to repeat though is gear stacking because this causes the most confusion among new players. *Usually* things with the same name do not stack. You will notice when you read pieces of gear it will say "+X <Enhancement/Artifact/Psionic/Ect...> to something." If they both have "Enhancement" (example because it is the most common) in their description, then only the highest value is used for your character. For example, Ogre Power +1 Ring of Healing +7 and Ogre Power +4 Bracers of Dodge %1 and you were wearing both...You would have +4 to strength (Highest value used. Both are Enhancement bonuses), +7 to Healing, and 1% Dodge. Now if you cast Rage +2(?) you would have +6 Strength because Rage is an Artifact Bonus (I think it's artifact). But that is the basics. It will also tell you what gear you have on that doesn't stack and the highest bonus the game is applying in your general tab I believe.

Welcome to the game, hope you're having fun.

Your initial questions have been answered, so I'll just keep an eye out for followup questions.