Thread: tomes

Community Member

Default tomes

Hello

I have 4 chests blessers at the moment, and I use them with +2 jewel active all of the time, still it's a very long time I don't see a +4 or +4/+5 tome in a chest.
    Recently a friend found a +3 tome in stormhorns quest, in a chest that was supposed to be 30+.

These two facts make me think something may be wrong with loot table, and that +4 tomes may have been removed. Is it so? Please tell us, I don't want to waste hours and money (for the jewels of fortune) looking for a tome that will never arrive, even if I open 300 chests a week.

Anybody experienced something about it? I remember +4 tomes were supposed to drop on lvl 27+ chests, but now something seems to be wrong.

I blame ghostbane

Tome drop levels got ruined.

Apparently +4's are a lie, with nothing dropping them.

Quote Originally Posted by afroblue View Post
    Hello

I have 4 chests blessers at the moment, and I use them with +2 jewel active all of the time, still it's a very long time I don't see a +4 or +4/+5 tome in a chest.
    Recently a friend found a +3 tome in stormhorns quest, in a chest that was supposed to be 30+.

These two facts make me think something may be wrong with loot table, and that +4 tomes may have been removed. Is it so? Please tell us, I don't want to waste hours and money (for the jewels of fortune) looking for a tome that will never arrive, even if I open 300 chests a week.

Anybody experienced something about it? I remember +4 tomes were supposed to drop on lvl 27+ chests, but now something seems to be wrong.
    There have been numerous threads on this topic and each one is met with silence from the devs. Why they can't tell us what's happening is beyond comprehension. It's a lack of communication on issues such as this that is driving me away from this game.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

i got a +4 cons tome from a citw chest last week. thats the first +4 tome in weeks if not months (i only get 3->4 upgrade tomes nowadays which i barely need). I dont purchase jewels of fortune anymore, doesnt seem to be worth it if tomes dont drop (and that was my only reason to use them).

Loulani (17 Druid, 2 Monk, 1 Artificer): a healer who cc's (70 Evocation DC) and does traps (110 Disable Device, 107 Search)

Pirate Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Sounds like a good suspect. There's been several threads on this topic the last few weeks, and they all amount to the same conclusion: yes, +4 and +5 tomes seem to have been removed or at least have *considerably* reduced drop chances. Turbine so far has declined to comment.
    Looks like your best shot will be Mabar, where you can gather 1 signet per day per toon (per dragon killed); turning 3-4 of these signets in will get you a +5 tome (limit 1 per toon).

Greetz,
    Maya Deva

Quote Originally Posted by Derana View Post
    i got a +4 cons tome from a citw chest last week. thats the first +4 tome in weeks if not months (i only get 3->4 upgrade tomes nowadays which i barely need). I dont purchase jewels of fortune anymore, doesnt seem to be worth it if tomes dont drop (and that was my only reason to use them).
    I used to use jewels of fortune any time it would help me hit level 27+ for a chance at tomes. Since I now no longer have that chance at tomes, I don't use the jewels. I refuse to buy the +5 tomes in the store because it sickens me that they were removed from loot gen tables and added to the store without a single word about the removal. Disgusting cash grab.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by RedOrm View Post
    Sounds like a good suspect. There's been several threads on this topic the last few weeks, and they all amount to the same conclusion: yes, +4 and +5 tomes seem to have been removed or at least have *considerably* reduced drop chances. Turbine so far has declined to comment.
    Looks like your best shot will be Mabar, where you can gather 1 signet per day per toon (per dragon killed); turning 3-4 of these signets in will get you a +5 tome (limit 1 per toon).

Greetz,
    Maya Deva
    Can also get a +6 tome irrc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derana View Post
    That's from a raid, different system. CiTW (and FoT?) have a chance of +4 or +5 tomes depending on difficulty, not quest level.

It's tomes in random chests that's the issue.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Can also get a +6 tome irrc.
    No.
    +6 Tomes on L-Space were broken and weren't there during the preview of Maban we just had, you could only get +5 Tomes.

Now they can fix them... eventually...
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

I don't have much luck with tomes usually. I recently picked up a few (3 over the last month) skill tomes, the highest was a +3 upgrade skill tome.

In fact, all the tomes were upgrade tomes.

Which brings me to the following belief, it's too soon for upgrade skill tomes as drop items.

Look at the AH. 80-90% of the skill tomes on G-Land are all upgrades that are likely there because no one can use them yet.

Hello

You say 30+ - can you be specific? +4 tomes originally were supposed to be at the 31+ loot level by formula, until Feather moved them to lvl 27+ in Update 16. I have been curious if they were moved back to 31+ in U19, or if they disappeared altogether. If your friend found a +3 tome in a lvl 31 chest, that would help indicate that +4 tomes are gone completely from the random loot drops, and only available as "named" loot, such as from CitW, FoT, and certain high level EE quests (demonweb, high road at least).

Stormhorns Epic Normal with +2 jewel and +1 chest blesser would be level 30; Epic Hard should be 31.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibor View Post
    You say 30+ - can you be specific? +4 tomes originally were supposed to be at the 31+ loot level by formula, until Feather moved them to lvl 27+ in Update 16. I have been curious if they were moved back to 31+ in U19, or if they disappeared altogether. If your friend found a +3 tome in a lvl 31 chest, that would help indicate that +4 tomes are gone completely from the random loot drops, and only available as "named" loot, such as from CitW, FoT, and certain high level EE quests (demonweb, high road at least).

Stormhorns Epic Normal with +2 jewel and +1 chest blesser would be level 30; Epic Hard should be 31.
    Epic elite Tracker's trap whit +2 gem in a +2 loot weekend: +3 wis tome.

Dont have screenshots tho, you can believe me or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiguo View Post

Wow, that's awful, lvl 33 chest and still a +3 tome. Really, really wish a developer would comment on this. Or better yet, just fix it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    That's from a raid, different system. CiTW (and FoT?) have a chance of +4 or +5 tomes depending on difficulty, not quest level.

It's tomes in random chests that's the issue.
    oh i know. as i said, it was the only tome ive got in weeks/months which is why i refuse to use a jewel of fortune now. its simply useless cuz tomes dont drop and as long as they dont fix it, i wont charge jewels.

Loulani (17 Druid, 2 Monk, 1 Artificer): a healer who cc's (70 Evocation DC) and does traps (110 Disable Device, 107 Search)

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Antiguo View Post

Wow. Someone had previously posted that they got a +4 from a wheloon quest with 2 loot and 2 jewel on EH (31 loot).... That makes for very inconsistent results since an EH shouldn't have a special drop (non elite and non raid).

So ... does Tower of Despair still drop +4 tomes?
    Inferus Sus Thelanis; Primary Bodies:
    Adamantbody, Brassbody, Carbonbody, Ironbody, Uraniumbody
    Body Designer: Bodybuilder 20 Artificer

Quote Originally Posted by Alavatar View Post
    So ... does Tower of Despair still drop +4 tomes?
    Honestly can't remember the last time i saw a group up for it...good question though especially when it comes to the 20th list.

Hello

You have made my point all along. I have not ever put any stock in any form of chest blessing. I could care less about any player blessing a chest. I have randomly pulled +4 and +5 tomes from chests without any chest blessing to include other good loot. I have also pulled very poor loot from chests that are blessed. I believe in the random roll for loot and am not disappointed when I do not get something I want. I just hitch up my sadle and rerun the quest(s) if needed. Does this mean I have a few characters tat do not have the loot I desire, yes it does but I play my character anyway and have just as much fun.

If you want guaranteed loot lobby Turbine to put a button on the quest entrance menu's for a button that automatically gives you the loot list to pick from. You know why bother to run the quests if all you really want is the loot. Then you can stand in the marketplace and display all of your items, woot.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    Silly rant
    Knowing what level chest one needs to farm to get a certain level of loot is not the same thing as asking to be given the loot.

+4 tomes used to drop 1:333 from level 27+ chests. 1:3 of those tomes were the +4 to +5 upgrade kind. This led lots of people that can do the math to buy jewels of fortune and run the right chests on global loot weekends. For hours on end. They knew the rules and played the game.

All that is on hold right now. No one can positively affirm receiving a +4 tome from a random chest of any level. No one that has been following this discussion will be buying gems, or playing the farming game (at least for tomes) until we know that there is any point in doing so.

By the way, there used to be magnificent +6 caster sticks with really nice side abilities that you could get as a consolation prize while farming. Those don't drop at all anymore.

Hello

In all honestly I have seen just one stat tome drop for ANYONE since the expansion dropped. I have seen about a half dozen skill tomes (all upgrades) drop but that is it. Npt even +1 or +2 tomes seem to be dropping anymore.

Something got broken when they added the skill tomes for sure. And, Turbine, FYI if I pull a +2 to +3 upgrade Repair tome I am not going to "buy" the base +2 tome from your store simply on principal. Heck it could be UMD and I am STILL not buying that base tome. I pulled one so far that I can remember and I vendored it.

The more obvious you make your attempts to get me to spend money the more I hold that cash back.