Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 105
  1. #81
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    481

    Default

    B) they are "cashing out" by closing a popular source of revenue; they only lose cash by doing this.

    I'm sorry but all of these notions contain backward causality, an unsupported premise and/or wishful thinking.

    Occam's razor suggests that Blizz is shutting down D3's AH's because they have too much negative impact on the actual gameplay just as they state.
    You've only really reorganized the explanation I gave originally. Perhaps you didn't like the term "cashing out."

    If you have low interest and player expectations on new players with a current system the means to fix that problem would be to remove the contentious system. By removing the P2W component and returning to a unit purchasing method I used the term "cashing out" to show that they're done with a continuous micro-transaction income in favour of a 1 time payout method.

    Cashing out being the appropriate term as it comes from gambling. One doesn't cash out when they've got "all the money" available. They cash out when they believe that they've won with a strong margin and continuing on would likely result in a net loss.

    So, yes, they are closing a popular revenue stream (ie: cashing out that revenue stream) in hopes that it will allow them to drive up sales for their console market.

    Edit: After further rereading your post I'm coming to the conclusion that you must not be referring to my posts :S As the initial 1,2,3 steps represent the opposite of what I wrote. Derp.
    Last edited by Xianio; 10-18-2013 at 05:41 PM.

  2. #82
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist
    IronClan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,984

    Default

    As for the original post: the idea of shutting down the AH in DDO is too dramatic, but the idea of lowering the amount of good loot that can be put in them; Maybe allowing EN items and making EH and EE items unsellable (but maybe allowing EH to me tradable between players while EE's are bound to character), maybe tagging "wondrous craftsmanship" items with "no AH" but letting players trade them, would help. Maybe make a third tier above wondrous, "ancient craftsmanship" that drops items 4ML's and allows for the most perfect loot rolls, that are account bound only?

    There's plenty of ways to lower the negative impact that sellable loot has on replayability without throwing the baby out with the bath water. DDO's balance is not as bad as D3's was because DDO has raid loot that's never on the AH, and shards/seals, and named bound on acquire loot... These things tend to promote replay, and DDO wasn't as shallow a "pure loot" game as the rogue-like D3 is. IMO the recent trend of sellable bind on equip items has been bad for replay and one of the reasons the game is suffering such extreme pendulum swings of player inactivity between new content.

    So DDO can learn a lesson from D3, but it doesn't need to go to that extreme, it just needs to tone down the sellable stuff and invent a new thing or two that encourages players to stick around and play between updates. Shroud and epic seal/shards used to be this mechanic, they could buff the old stuff up and epic Shroud or they can reinvent the wheel as they are prone to do, because the old dev's systems are terrible and the new systems are better because new dev's made them. Either way they need to address the massive attrition the game suffers from.
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

  3. #83
    Community Member badbob117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Idk, maybe if that Email was from some other weird game not made by blizzard, peeps would not be so uptight.

    Its like mentioning Iphone in a android forum. Or xbox in a ps forum. Some folks are diehard fanboys when it comes to this nonsense. Me personally i don't give a heck . I just grab what looks cool and use it, then tell it how i see it.

    This game needs to change direction. When you spend 50 bucks on a new xpac and your done in a week, without any cool loot to speak of afterwords. No raids to kill time in, Then something is wrong with the development side of the game. They are focusing on the wrong stuff. This xpac sucked compared to MOTU and it shows! It was the same price to top it off.

    Idk about you guys but I literally feel kinda ripped off by the new expansion. Yet last year i felt great after buying Motu. It kept me going all fall and winter and having a blast. Can you say the same for Shadow conspiracy? Walk in new explorer zones and some dude is offering to tp me to the quest entrance for 3 astral shards? What the heck happened here? They went from Qaulity content to cheese within a year!

    I am more willing to spend my money on Quality over fluff any day of the week. Build those raids and quests and we will buy em. Leave the junk on the google play store where it belongs!
    Born to play, Forced to work !

  4. #84
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    As for the original post: the idea of shutting down the AH in DDO is too dramatic, but the idea of lowering the amount of good loot that can be put in them; Maybe allowing EN items and making EH and EE items unsellable (but maybe allowing EH to me tradable between players while EE's are bound to character), maybe tagging "wondrous craftsmanship" items with "no AH" but letting players trade them, would help. Maybe make a third tier above wondrous, "ancient craftsmanship" that drops items 4ML's and allows for the most perfect loot rolls, that are account bound only?

    There's plenty of ways to lower the negative impact that sellable loot has on replayability without throwing the baby out with the bath water. DDO's balance is not as bad as D3's was because DDO has raid loot that's never on the AH, and shards/seals, and named bound on acquire loot... These things tend to promote replay, and DDO wasn't as shallow a "pure loot" game as the rogue-like D3 is. IMO the recent trend of sellable bind on equip items has been bad for replay and one of the reasons the game is suffering such extreme pendulum swings of player inactivity between new content.

    So DDO can learn a lesson from D3, but it doesn't need to go to that extreme, it just needs to tone down the sellable stuff and invent a new thing or two that encourages players to stick around and play between updates. Shroud and epic seal/shards used to be this mechanic, they could buff the old stuff up and epic Shroud or they can reinvent the wheel as they are prone to do, because the old dev's systems are terrible and the new systems are better because new dev's made them. Either way they need to address the massive attrition the game suffers from.
    I don't think most people want the ah itself to go, just the asah. That and to start making quest loot btcoa and btaoa instead of btcoe.

  5. #85
    2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    As for the original post: the idea of shutting down the AH in DDO is too dramatic, but the idea of lowering the amount of good loot that can be put in them; Maybe allowing EN items and making EH and EE items unsellable (but maybe allowing EH to me tradable between players while EE's are bound to character), maybe tagging "wondrous craftsmanship" items with "no AH" but letting players trade them, would help. Maybe make a third tier above wondrous, "ancient craftsmanship" that drops items 4ML's and allows for the most perfect loot rolls, that are account bound only?

    There's plenty of ways to lower the negative impact that sellable loot has on replayability without throwing the baby out with the bath water. DDO's balance is not as bad as D3's was because DDO has raid loot that's never on the AH, and shards/seals, and named bound on acquire loot... These things tend to promote replay, and DDO wasn't as shallow a "pure loot" game as the rogue-like D3 is. IMO the recent trend of sellable bind on equip items has been bad for replay and one of the reasons the game is suffering such extreme pendulum swings of player inactivity between new content.

    So DDO can learn a lesson from D3, but it doesn't need to go to that extreme, it just needs to tone down the sellable stuff and invent a new thing or two that encourages players to stick around and play between updates. Shroud and epic seal/shards used to be this mechanic, they could buff the old stuff up and epic Shroud or they can reinvent the wheel as they are prone to do, because the old dev's systems are terrible and the new systems are better because new dev's made them. Either way they need to address the massive attrition the game suffers from.
    I could compromise with this and I think its a much better suggestion than what we currently have. P2WAH would be less P2W and if players wanted the best loot, they would have to run the quests to get it or just settle for the EN/EH version. but, that's pretty much how it is now though. players usually settle for EH and buy or trade for EE gear. i think there is more to come with the P2WAH, IMO.

    just noticed you said AH. never mind if you meant the AH.

  6. #86
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist
    IronClan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    just noticed you said AH. never mind if you meant the AH.
    I mean both. As the same causality applies to both, they both dilute replay value. Both could be toned down by the same mechanic of not allowing EE gear to be purchased at all, make EH gear unsellable but possibly tradable player to player, and make EN sellable. Also have maybe half of new packs loot be bound on aquire. And I like my idea of Wondrous being account bound not sellable, or if they really want to allow those to be sold, make a new tier that's not sellable.

    Right now the balance is too far to the side of allowing things to be sold, IMO it needs to be reeled back in... The old grindy Seal/shard/scroll system (when scrolls weren't trivial to get) was the right amount of grindy* (for DDO) was IMO a fairly good balance... People kept playing Epics... Oh hell I don't need any more argument than (I'll say it again) everyone repeat after me I've said this so many times now:

    VON5-6 currently might be the most played raid in the game (certainly it's close)... all the proof anyone should need.

    * (not grindy for 99.9% of the MMO's I've ever played, not even worthy of calling grind compared to most of them)
    Last edited by IronClan; 10-18-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

  7. #87
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Tons of money spent on it? Tons of people proved they were willing to undermine that and break the rules to get stuff free. People are getting fed up with cash grab mechanics in MMOs, and I cant wait til it gets to the point where companies have to re-tether the financial success of the division to the quality of the game itself.
    That would require the players to be willing to walk away from their favorite game when it fails to be good enough. As long as we continue to support games that fail to deliver, games will continue to fail to deliver. Money is the only thing that matters.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

  8. #88
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badbob117 View Post

    For once i agree with them and i think these lame real money Auction houses do nothing but cause trouble for Games like Diablo, DDO and Neverwinter. These games are supposed to be about killing bad guys and ransacking their treasure. Every game i played with a real money auction house where we could purchase virtual junk ended up with its fair share of negative consequences. Once they add this feature the game gets tainted, Cheapened and cheesy as heck. Dungeons and Dragons online is no exception. It creates a rift in the community. A two tier system so to speak. Those with their big credit cards and those without. It also causes a influx of people willing to exploit to bypass paying real money for pixels.

    Do away with it. It tarnishes the game. For once i agree with Blizzard! They are doing away with their dirty cash grab tactics and i think Turbine should do the same. Devs Time can be spent on better things rather then all this astral shard nonsense!

    You guys and girls at Turbine should go back to your roots as well. Make money by selling us wicked quests and raids with tons of new bad guys hording their awesome loot. That is all we want! To play a game and reap our just rewards. It is pretty simple really. The direction the game has went since ASAH is pretty bleak! Just my 2 cents after coming back and seeing the economy in shambles in a game used to love. Dev time wasted once again on stuff 90% of the player base could care less about. Nothing good will ever come of a real money AH. At least not for us players!

    I Tried the new expansion. Looted some boring new loot and was underwhelmed as a whole after completing it. I could not help but think to myself how much better it could be if the devs focused less on cash grabs and more on game play. The game is messed up right now and i personally think Turbine should re-evaluate their economic choices. I Have not even been back a week and the game feels stale already. The new Expansion was no where near the caliber of what Motu was! The poor choices of Turbine as a whole has really effected the game and it has to stop! Turbine needs to go back to its roots of being a game company and not a zen/tp/store/AS business. It is really starting to show in the lack of quality quests, loot and monsters! It is a pretty sad state of affairs! Smarten up Turbine!

    Anyway that is my bi-annual rant for the year on these forums. Good questing and peace out y'all!
    Two tier system

    What is wrong having a two tier system? It certainly gives more options in how you want to make your purchases, be it a premium guild boats, gold seal hirelings etc. It also helps to regulate each other. For example, If the astral shard ah price becomes too high, more people will shift to the platinum auction house.

    Those with credit cards and those without

    You dont need a credit card to be able to earn astral shard. You can always use your farmed points to buy astral shards. Now with the ability to re sell your bound to char on equip gears back to the astral shard auction house, its even easier to earn astral shards.

    Influx of people willing to exploit to bypass paying real money for pixels

    With the introduction of new ways of making money, there will always be new types of exploiters. This should not deter progress.

    Tons of new bad guys hording their awesome loot

    Isnt that the case already? I dont get what you are trying to say.

    Economy in shambles


    How is the economy is shambles? How do you define it? Yes its in its recovery stage now after the most recent exploit, but it certainly isnt broken. Its still pretty easy to make lots of money by anyone willing to try.

    Nothing good will ever come of a real money AH

    Ok, first of all, the shard exchange system isnt a real money auction house. You can be a 100% F2P player and still use its features to earn lots of shards.

  9. #89
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post

    Ok, first of all, the shard exchange system isnt a real money auction house. You can be a 100% F2P player and still use its features to earn lots of shards.
    Where do you think the shards come from the daily dice? People bought in and spent, as are just a form of real money.

  10. #90
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Where do you think the shards come from the daily dice? People bought in and spent, as are just a form of real money.
    Its not a form of real money when u buy them from earned turbine points. You do realise points magically appear in ur account every 100 favour yeah?
    Last edited by MrRoboto; 10-19-2013 at 12:50 AM.

  11. #91
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
    Its not a form of real money when u buy them from earned turbine points.
    And do you think the market is full of that? The market is full of purchased shards with probably less than 1% of them earned from former daily dice rolls or people farming tp for them. Even if you haven't bought them, someone that bought the gear you sold did. 99% or more of as in circulation have been purchased with real money.

  12. #92
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    And do you think the market is full of that? The market is full of purchased shards with probably less than 1% of them earned from former daily dice rolls or people farming tp for them. Even if you haven't bought them, someone that bought the gear you sold did. 99% or more of as in circulation have been purchased with real money.
    Firstly, of all ur 1-99% earn-bought is most like a load of ****. Secondly, the point isnt how much bought shard is in regulation. The diff between a real money ah and the shard system is that you cant enter the rmah without actually spending real cash. This however, you can. Hence, its not a real money auction house. Its a shard exchange.

  13. #93
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
    Firstly, of all ur 1-99% earn-bought is most like a load of ****. Secondly, the point isnt how much bought shard is in regulation. The diff between a real money ah and the shard system is that you cant enter the rmah without actually spending real cash. This however, you can. Hence, its not a real money auction house. Its a shard exchange.
    That is one of those distinctions that is great for court and legal matters but matters so little in ordinary life that most people would laugh at it.

  14. #94
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    That is one of those distinctions that is great for court and legal matters but matters so little in ordinary life that most people would laugh at it.
    Yes and the shard exchange isnt RMAH. However, i feel that i need to congratulate you on being able to dig out those numbers, since it must have been way up inside.

  15. #95
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
    Yes and the shard exchange isnt RMAH.
    It's close enough outside a courtroom.

  16. #96
    Community Member zDragonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    Because everyone is looting the same stuff. There's not enough variety. Random loot invalidates some named gear.
    The coolest weapon I ever saw Drop was back in 2009 in the Shroud! Someone pulled a +2 Vorpal, Silver Longsword of Puregood. Yea its a longsword but still very cool!

  17. #97
    Community Member Ashlayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    And do you think the market is full of that? The market is full of purchased shards with probably less than 1% of them earned from former daily dice rolls or people farming tp for them. Even if you haven't bought them, someone that bought the gear you sold did. 99% or more of as in circulation have been purchased with real money.
    Source?

  18. #98
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    Source?
    anecdotal combined with logic.

  19. #99
    Community Member Ashlayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    anecdotal combined with logic.
    So it's your opinion, therefore subjective, and really doesn't add up to much of anything but post count?

  20. #100
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    anecdotal combined with logic.
    Exactly what i expected, numbers out of his ass.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload