Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default For once i agree with Blizzard. Turbine should do the same! Back to your roots!

So i got a email a few weeks ago from the dreaded Blizzard company, before all this exploit nonsense hit DDO. I was done with Diablo 3 last year when my account got hacked by some putz. I Took a break from DDO for a bit. Went and fooled around in Neverwinter only to realize fast it was just another pay to win cash grab of a game. The exploits from the community and the lack of action from the devs pretty much killed the game. All they really cared about was Astral shard purchases and zen . The game declined and turned into a bunch of gold spammers fast.

I played some xbox games. Some pc games. Nothing in the MMO realm because i was kinda sick of the cash grabs around every corner. Then last week I decided to come back to DDO and see whats up. Reconnect with some old friends and kill some baddies. Maybe start the grind up once again for loot, xp, raids and epic mumbo jumbo. Upon checking my email for purchase order i finally got around to seeing what that message from Blizzard was all about...

Here it is. I was kinda shocked to say the least. Blizzard doing away with its cash cow?

For once i agree with them and i think these lame real money Auction houses do nothing but cause trouble for Games like Diablo, DDO and Neverwinter. These games are supposed to be about killing bad guys and ransacking their treasure. Every game i played with a real money auction house where we could purchase virtual junk ended up with its fair share of negative consequences. Once they add this feature the game gets tainted, Cheapened and cheesy as heck. Dungeons and Dragons online is no exception. It creates a rift in the community. A two tier system so to speak. Those with their big credit cards and those without. It also causes a influx of people willing to exploit to bypass paying real money for pixels.

Do away with it. It tarnishes the game. For once i agree with Blizzard! They are doing away with their dirty cash grab tactics and i think Turbine should do the same. Devs Time can be spent on better things rather then all this astral shard nonsense!

You guys and girls at Turbine should go back to your roots as well. Make money by selling us wicked quests and raids with tons of new bad guys hording their awesome loot. That is all we want! To play a game and reap our just rewards. It is pretty simple really. The direction the game has went since ASAH is pretty bleak! Just my 2 cents after coming back and seeing the economy in shambles in a game used to love. Dev time wasted once again on stuff 90% of the player base could care less about. Nothing good will ever come of a real money AH. At least not for us players!

I Tried the new expansion. Looted some boring new loot and was underwhelmed as a whole after completing it. I could not help but think to myself how much better it could be if the devs focused less on cash grabs and more on game play. The game is messed up right now and i personally think Turbine should re-evaluate their economic choices. I Have not even been back a week and the game feels stale already. The new Expansion was no where near the caliber of what Motu was! The poor choices of Turbine as a whole has really effected the game and it has to stop! Turbine needs to go back to its roots of being a game company and not a zen/tp/store/AS business. It is really starting to show in the lack of quality quests, loot and monsters! It is a pretty sad state of affairs! Smarten up Turbine!

Anyway that is my bi-annual rant for the year on these forums. Good questing and peace out y'all!
    Born to play, Forced to work !

Community Member

How long have you worked for Blizzard?

Quote Originally Posted by uncleblue View Post
    How long have you worked for Blizzard?
    I actually hate blizzard with a passion. But hey thanks for contributing with such a intellectual post to the thread!
    Born to play, Forced to work !

Quote Originally Posted by badbob117 View Post
    Follow me if I advance. Kill me if I retreat. Avenge me if I die.

I never paid a penny to use the ASAH. I just farmed 50 favor bought a diamond, crushed it and posted my first item, made some more shards, posted a second item, and so on and so forth. It's really inefficient to buy shards from the store, unless you have that much disposable income. The real problem is people pay money for things yet have no say in how those things turn out. If they are going to release new content then the people who pay for it should have voting rights as to what it is and how it works.
    Melee FVS: Solarien
    Earth Savant: Keyros
    Pale Master: Kayros

Community Member

I actually hate blizzard with a passion. But hey thanks for contributing with such a intellectual post to the thread!
    Obviously.

You hate them so much you actually read their emails and reposted them on DDO's forum, trashing DDO, and saying Blizzard is good.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeno5k View Post
    I never paid a penny to use the ASAH. I just farmed 50 favor bought a diamond, crushed it and posted my first item, made some more shards, posted a second item, and so on and so forth. It's really inefficient to buy shards from the store, unless you have that much disposable income. The real problem is people pay money for things yet have no say in how those things turn out. If they are going to release new content then the people who pay for it should have voting rights as to what it is and how it works.
    This right here.

The ASAH is only a cash store if you want it to be one. I used shards that I had banked in the form of diamonds before the change. Never spent a single cent on the shards in the store. As mentioned, it's extremely inefficient to do so. Astral shards are available in game. You just have to post rare unwanted loot on the ASAH and let rich people spend their money on shards from the store to buy items.

Even if you don't want to participate in that, you can just use the forums and directly trade your unwanted loot for loot you can use.

I'm not sure how this compares to the money shop in Diablo 3 as I never tried that one out at all. Honestly, if the ASAH went away tomorrow it would have no effect on how much loot I obtain as I never bought anything from it. My daily gold rolls would stop immediately though and even then, it's not a huge loss.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

We are writing tell you about..

..Advance notice..

Sorry, couldn't help but notice the wrong grammar. Anyway, this is nice to hear for Diablo 3. Diablo 2 is one of my all time fave games.. Haven't tried 3 yet.
    With regards to DDO, i think as long as there is still BTC and BTA loot, ASAH is ok. DDO needs to make money and I am for supporting the game. It's a F2P game and this is how they make money. I accept this. It is not a PVP game either so it doesn't destroy the game..

In the end, it's just a game and it will 'tempt' you but its your decision whether you wanna play for fun, or spend all your $$$ on it.

Quote Originally Posted by uncleblue View Post
    Obviously.

You hate them so much you actually read their emails and reposted them on DDO's forum, trashing DDO, and saying Blizzard is good.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.
    Woah, i must say you are impressive, not even the more rabid fanboys could say that being against the ASAH is by any means "trashing DDO" or that saying a single decision by Blizzard makes them good (or bad).

Now tell me, what good has the ASAH done to DDO?, why do you defend it?, how long have you been working for WB?

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

1. AH using normal currency (like gold, plat or whatever metal is used to make in game coins) is good for a game- it lets people to sell loot they don't need from killing monsters to gather wealth needed to purchase loot want, and/or resources consumed to kill more monsters. (RL$$ AH is not cool)

2. Diablo's goal is killing monster for loot. That's why blizzard removed RL$$ AH.
    DDO's goal is grinding XP over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, using random generated loot, while buying XP boosts from one of 3 NPCs, or (hopefully) DDO Store. That's why turbine don't need to care about shard exchange. Its simply irrelevant, as loot has became irrelevant.

Op a good percentage of the forumites are insane and unable to see anything Turbine does as bad. They could delete everyone's toons and these people will call it the best decision ever made. You can't have a discussion about ways to actually improve the game here because they think everything is great and that you can't improve on that perfection.

Community Member

2. Diablo's goal is killing monster for loot. That's why blizzard removed RL$$ AH.
    Nope, definitely not.

This isn't a game play decision, it's an economic and political decision. The nice thing for Blizzard is that it's also very easy PR to say "hey we're doing it for you" when that's really not the driving factor at all.

Something important to note about this choice is that the removal will occur shortly before D3 enters the console market. This is the most likely reason for the removal of the AH. Consoles are significantly more complicated economically as Blizzard now needs to deal with a 3rd part intermediary in addition to another layer of transactions (country/currency for the PC which is currently at least 4-5 markets and then double that as consoles would require their own unique systems).

What's more, Sony may not be willing to give the Blizzard team the constant stream of info they need to safeguard credit card info for which they would be liable.

Finally, D3 is currently a "dead" game (not that nobody plays it but that nobody NEW is playing it). This "hey we're dropping the AH AND moving to consoles" is an excellent way to create incentives for yet another group of people to buy units. The final decision most likely being made after poor interest and sales on the latest expansion.

All told, this is D3 "cashing out," moving away from a semi-P2W model for a final hurrah at unit sales.
    -------------------------

Turbine can't really do this and expect the same results. Mostly because they're not moving into a new market, don't have the marketing support of a major global company and their entire game is based around the choice of the F2P-nickel and dime model or the P2P classic MMO interaction.

The shard shop is 100% to get F2P players to spend the odd few dollars/the money Turbine gives you for free so that they become comfortable spending money on the game, thus are more likely to make bigger, more frequent purchases.

TLDR: Oranges and apples, or how I learned digital markets are complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Xianio View Post
    Nope, definitely not.

This isn't a game play decision, it's an economic and political decision. The nice thing for Blizzard is that it's also very easy PR to say "hey we're doing it for you" when that's really not the driving factor at all.

Something important to note about this choice is that the removal will occur shortly before D3 enters the console market. This is the most likely reason for the removal of the AH. Consoles are significantly more complicated economically as Blizzard now needs to deal with a 3rd part intermediary in addition to another layer of transactions (country/currency for the PC which is currently at least 4-5 markets and then double that as consoles would require their own unique systems).

What's more, Sony may not be willing to give the Blizzard team the constant stream of info they need to safeguard credit card info for which they would be liable.

Finally, D3 is currently a "dead" game (not that nobody plays it but that nobody NEW is playing it). This "hey we're dropping the AH AND moving to consoles" is an excellent way to create incentives for yet another group of people to buy units. The final decision most likely being made after poor interest and sales on the latest expansion.

All told, this is D3 "cashing out," moving away from a semi-P2W model for a final hurrah at unit sales.

Turbine can't really do this and expect the same results. Mostly because they're not moving into a new market, don't have the marketing support of a major global company and their entire game is based around the choice of the F2P-nickel and dime model or the P2P classic MMO interaction.

The shard shop is 100% to get F2P players to spend the odd few dollars/the money Turbine gives you for free so that they become comfortable spending money on the game, thus are more likely to make bigger, more frequent purchases.

I don't necessarily agree or have an opinion, but this is a well thought out counterpoint to the original post. Basement dwellers, pay attention.

Community Member

Nope, definitely not.

I suspect this is the truth of the matter.

agree, shard auction house are no good to this game. most of the stuff on there are way over priced. and it destroy the game market.. plat no longer hold much value to most people.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by burningwind View Post
    agree, shard auction house are no good to this game. most of the stuff on there are way over priced. and it destroy the game market.. plat no longer hold much value to most people.
    yup. you cant buy anything for plat anymore in this game because everyone is plat capped. and because plat is worth nothing for this reason, no1 will spend their plat for anything because no1 accepts plat as currency. endless circle.

if you want something special or expensive (i hold the opinion that all this bound to character on equip stuff is designed only for the purpose of selling it on the astral shard auction house) you have to either get lucky with loot and find a lesser-blessed person that will buy an ioun stone for 600 astral shards (happened on sarlona) or you have to farm it urself. but with the normal auction house having a limit of 2 million, the inventory being capped at 4,3million and plat being pretty much worthless, the economy is quite ruined for a few months already.

the values to trade ee items for are ottos boxes, raid timers, rare scrolls (barely nowadays cuz of the lovely +10/11 stat random loot items) and astral shards. pretty sad

Loulani (17 Druid, 2 Monk, 1 Artificer): a healer who cc's (70 Evocation DC) and does traps (110 Disable Device, 107 Search)

Community Member

Nope, definitely not.

Yup this, Blizzard got some respect back from me for it but ilike any other company Blizzard wouldn't do it if there wasn't a economic reason attached.
    Just from the little bit i played Diablo 3 it never looked like the AH gave them enough Bang for the huge overhead cost it has. (They actually have real money you can cash out, that probably adds tons of hoops to jump through in comparison to the Shard AH here)

Community Member

Dev time wasted once again on stuff 90% of the player base could care less about. Nothing good will ever come of a real money AH. At least not for us players!

I Tried the new expansion. Looted some boring new loot and was underwhelmed as a whole after completing it. I could not help but think to myself how much better it could be if the devs focused less on cash grabs and more on game play. The game is messed up right now and i personally think Turbine should re-evaluate their economic choices. I Have not even been back a week and the game feels stale already. The new Expansion was no where near the caliber of what Motu was! The poor choices of Turbine as a whole has really effected the game and it has to stop! Turbine needs to go back to its roots of being a game company and not a zen/tp/store/AS business. It is really starting to show in the lack of quality quests, loot and monsters! It is a pretty sad state of affairs! Smarten up Turbine.
    How is this not trashing Turbine?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Op a good percentage of the forumites are insane and unable to see anything Turbine does as bad. They could delete everyone's toons and these people will call it the best decision ever made. You can't have a discussion about ways to actually improve the game here because they think everything is great and that you can't improve on that perfection.
    And some people just like to spread misery.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    So the one guy on the tirade represents the majority of the forumites?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast