Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhelin View Post
    charactersIhavetotypethatthesmileyisshowncorrectly
    Oi! That's hard on the eyes.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Still want the ability for a TR to choose/change character sex in the character creation screen.

I also still want the word referring to sex to be changed from gender to sex; however, it would be nice for that word to toggle to gender when the selected race is warforged.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Default YAY! still not deleted!

I would have thought such a thread would have been deleted by now by our overzealous mods. Tis a beautiful and enlightening thing to see understanding from the devs and mods.

Quote Originally Posted by ishunt View Post
    I would have thought such a thread would have been deleted by now by our overzealous mods. Tis a beautiful and enlightening thing to see understanding from the devs and mods.
    meh, i played neverwinter for about a month and a half last year, their mods are friggen insane...

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Language is all about use (and spelling is different than the living lexicon), and its egalitarian - people that are more educated or even just more intelligent dont get more of a "vote" on what the correct way to use a language is or not.

This is incorrect. It is by no means egalitarian. Just look to academia and political correctness for a "real world" (as much as academia is "real world") example.

Controlling the use and definitions of words and language is an important implement of social control. Far too important to be left to the masses.

Was it the masses that decided that we have female actors now, instead of actresses? It may be that the reason for changing the language was to create equality, but the drive or campaign to change this part of our language was deliberate and not an egalitarian one. To be certain, this started in academia.

Don't worry, I'm not trying to stomp on you here, just give you some food for thought. I'd never want anyone to consider eating crow, but could I offer you some freedom fries?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    Coming soon to the DDO store!

The Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity

Such a girdle looks like an ordinary leather belt, but when worn immediately switches the wearer's sex to the opposite gender, then loses all power.

OOTS, FTW...

But I also hear boobies are P2Win!

Community Member

It only makes sense that a true reincarnation includes choice of sex in the changeable options.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ishunt View Post
    Perhaps because this thread does not violate community guidelines.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Still want the ability for a TR to choose/change character sex in the character creation screen.
    Done. cheers:

Community Member

I also still want the word referring to sex to be changed from gender to sex; however, it would be nice for that word to toggle to gender when the selected race is warforged.
    Dictionary says shut the hell up already. Gender = sex.
    Full Definition of GENDER

a : sex <the feminine gender>
    b : the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

I just wanted to request, in the reincarnation thread, that we be able to change the sex of a character at the character creation screen during a TR or IR. Then, as a 'might as well', I asked that the devs also amend the label for the male/female option from Gender to Sex.

This generated a branching topic, so I am creating a new thread to continue the discussion without further derailing the original.

Sex
    • Physical
    • Biological
    • Male/Female

• Psychological
    • Masculine/Feminine

Colloquialism

• Common parlance
    • Jargon
    • Accepted meaning of words regardless of what they meant in the past.

You're just never going to describe your buddy whether their gender is male or female as being unusually gay today without acknowledging that almost no one uses that word to mean happy any more =)

Last edited by IronClan; 02-16-2014 at 09:57 AM.
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Good luck with that, I find the fantasy / sci fi fan base to be decades ahead of their time on equality issues and such. Star Trek in and of itself pushed the envelope. The way old school D&D rulebooks are printed, where they use female pronouns ~half the time when explaining rule examples is another solid highlight.
    Indeed D&D in the mid 70's onward refused to recognize any differences at all between male or female characters... Most DMG's ever printed contained at least some mention of this.

One of the first and most iconic D&D images I can recall (isle of dread from 79-ish box set) a female character about to save the bacon of a male character:

Feel free to discuss her armor bikini and ignore the Elf's form fitting bulge hugging spandex leotard, or the complete lack of armor on the upper body of the fighter.

D&D is not 50 year old conservative males either, what a farcical statement, I'd say our demographic is extremely diverse (from my own experience it is) and probably spans all political and even religious views.... One of the biggest "sticklers" about the difference between "gender" and "sex" i recall in my lifetime was G Gordon Liddy, who after being let out of Jail for refusing to throw the GOP under the bus during watergate, was a popular conservative talk show host, who admittedly was far more listenable and entertaining than Rush, but was a big time semantics weenie.
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Done. cheers:
    Thank you.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post

b : the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex
    This is SO four months ago.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Perhaps because this thread does not violate community guidelines.
    Sure seems pretty close to being over the line to me. Me I think things are fine sex means sex to me and I wouldn't be happy if they changed gender to that, maybe another word would work but can't think of one right now.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    Indeed D&D in the mid 70's onward refused to recognize any differences at all between male or female characters... Most DMG's ever printed contained at least some mention of this.

One of the first and most iconic D&D images I can recall (isle of dread from 79-ish box set) a female character about to save the bacon of a male character:

Feel free to discuss her armor bikini and ignore the Elf's form fitting bulge hugging spandex leotard, or the complete lack of armor on the upper body of the fighter.

D&D is not 50 year old conservative males either, what a farcical statement, I'd say our demographic is extremely diverse (from my own experience it is) and probably spans all political and even religious views.... One of the biggest "sticklers" about the difference between "gender" and "sex" i recall in my lifetime was G Gordon Liddy, who after being let out of Jail for refusing to throw the GOP under the bus during watergate, was a popular conservative talk show host, who admittedly was far more listenable and entertaining than Rush, but was a big time semantics weenie.
    Oh, puh-leeze.

The male barbarian and the female fighter were clearly stripped down for swimming (for fun or washing up or both) when they were rudely interrupted by the serpent. The elf was clearly keeping watch, and he doesn't like to wear armor that interferes with his movement.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

I just wanted to request, in the reincarnation thread, that we be able to change the sex of a character at the character creation screen during a TR or IR. Then, as a 'might as well', I asked that the devs also amend the label for the male/female option from Gender to Sex.

This generated a branching topic, so I am creating a new thread to continue the discussion without further derailing the original.

Sex
    • Physical
    • Biological
    • Male/Female

• Psychological
    • Masculine/Feminine
    This is your own opinion of Gender specificly Gender identity

In the world of Science Gender is used to describe the physical sex of an animal that is that context that it is used in DDO.

There is nothing more to it.

Your post should read

• Biological
    • Male/Female

Gender identity/role
    [list][*]Roles/attitudes[*]Psychological[*]Masculine/Feminine

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post

Classic example of fingers/foot in mouth effect from not noticing the original date of the thread....
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast