Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sex

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    Is this a greatest hits? I've seen this thread (slightly modified) and thread title before.
    Since they are already tinkering with resurrection, might as well add a related request.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Or perhaps the language evolved past the point where the folks who point to definitions in archaic books as justification are at. I love it when educators attempt to make it sound like every rule they teach is written in stone, only to have the next big cultural breakthrough be something that completely ignores all those rules they tried to nail to the floor.

Those same types of people were telling Isaac Newton he was full of it when he explained gravity, said rock and roll was just a no talent phase where folks played the same 4 chords, and attempted to explain to us that the PC would have no practical use in the household family unit. The "everything is set in stone" folks rarely if ever win out in the end. Those rules get broken, and a new stage in the cultural development of the populace begins. Masters and Johnson attempted to tell us there were strict definitions for "sex" and "gender" some odd 60 years ago. Youd probably cringe if you heard what those were. What happens when they get together with folks who believe in the more modern day definitions? They all start thumping their books claiming they are the only "correct" source of information.
    Sex does not always dictate gender (even when gender is used in the grammatical sense), but using gender as a synonym for sex makes it seem as though the two are more strongly linked than they really are.
    Last edited by Tscheuss; 10-17-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Sex does not always dictate gender (even when gender is used in the grammatical sense), but using gender as a synonym for sex makes it seem as though the two are more strongly linked than they really are.
    It is asking in the context of the physicality of your avatar only. You can choose to RP actual gender beyond those constraints if you wish, post avatar creation.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    To what end? What difference does it really make? To be quite frank, I never really paid much attention to it, and I have characters of both genders. So because you know what a word means, it's now offensive to you? Was it offensive before you knew what the word meant? So now, because you know, and you find it offensive, you want them to change the game to suit you?

So, show of hands, how many people are going to rage quit if it never gets changed? If anyone is going to rage quit because of it, how many are going to try to file sexism lawsuits because of it?

My vote: Not that offended by the misuse/misspelling of words, otherwise every time somebody wrote weather when they meant whether I'd be having a massive coronary just reading these forums, let alone every where else that it happens on a daily basis.
    Looks like a different debate. Have fun with it.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    Man, this has been requested for as long as I can remember. While I don't recall the specific thread, a Dev chimed in about this once and basically informed us that gender is so fundamentally intrinsic to character data, as in it's split along male/female lines from character creation onward, that to implement such a request would require an almost complete redesign of the database. Sadly, I don't think this is likely to happen.
    I don't buy that explanation from the dev. I don't buy a great many things devs tell us. They have an astoundingly poor track record.

The model itself does not have "sex" or a "gender" those are products of the player. In the case of an avatar, it is the body form you present to the gaming world around you, so in that regard, calling it "Gender" or "Sex" in regards to something like a Avatar, either would be correct, as it is limited to describing what they look like, nothing more.

Community Member

It is asking in the context of the physicality of your avatar only. You can choose to RP actual gender beyond those constraints if you wish, post avatar creation.
    But it is in a position where it furthers the misconception that the two are the same. How many sexes are there? Two? Three if one includes those in transition?

How many genders are there? Nine? Twenty-seven? I suppose it depends on the criteria used to define them.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

But it is in a position where it furthers the misconception that the two are the same. How many sexes are there? Two? Three if one includes those in transition?

How many genders are there? Nine? Twenty-seven? I suppose it depends on the criteria used to define them.
    The current education system says 5.

Male
    Female
    Herms
    Ferms
    Merms

People can be both born with, or choose to alter their physicality to match their gender, to become any one of these.
    Last edited by Chai; 10-17-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Keeping in mind that some cultures Sex and Gender do line up. Some may call these cultures archaic by todays standards, but they do still exist and are not small populations.

Also keep in mind that many government entities utilize gender instead of sex when they refer to the physiological differences between male and female.

To refer to what you perceive as a mediocre usage of language is actually torn between so many entities about it definition and usage that it actually does seem like a poor use of time to try and convince the masses of a forum that 1/2 or better of the world has been using the wrong term for decades, when in fact it is not the wrong term, it is just not the "Best" term.

Personally while filling out paperwork for government agencies I much prefer to ask a Person their Gender, verse Sex and having the response "Yes Please" followed by awkward silence.

Next point is that it appears that you have fallen into the trap of education and neglected the research and experimentation part. Might I suggest a good movie "Good Will Hunting". There is a nice discourse between characters in this movie about regurgitation of Professor's opinions.

Normal humans are born one of two sexes, hence the word sex, section, to divide, it is half of a whole. Gender on the other hand is a social role. Since our avatars cannot reproduce and have no sexual organs we can only choose our gender as that is the role we are choosing to express ourselves within the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    Normal humans are born one of two sexes, hence the word sex, section, to divide, it is half of a whole. Gender on the other hand is a social role. Since our avatars cannot reproduce and have no sexual organs we can only choose our gender as that is the role we are choosing to express ourselves within the game.
    I see someone never entered sneak mode then pressed the spacebar pre u19.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    LOL I said we couldn't reproduce I never said we couldn't have fun.

Or shift post U19.

Community Member

Again, as I pointed out in the old thread, and the OP chose to blatantly ignore...

Language is not defined by a dictionary, there's no official arbiter of language (unless you're French). Language is defined by how its used. You cant say that the common vernacular use of a word is wrong, because the meaning of words comes entirely from what we intend to communicate with them.

I can try to say that "sandwich" now means "quesadilla", but if you order a sandwich, you're going to get two pieces of bread, no matter where I print the definition as "melted cheese in a tortilla".

The distinction between sex and gender you're citing is one specific to social studies, and to people who use it for a political agenda. Its not a common-language distinction. You're performing a bit of cultural condescension, trying to tell people they're "wrong" for not using a technical definition instead of the common definition.

DDO is not a social studies game, so it doesnt have to adhere to social science nomenclature, anymore than it has to adhere to geographic nomenclature when its giving names to landforms (Twilight Canyons arent actual canyons, they're more like a karst topography, its equally technically wrong but equally vernacularly fine).

In common use, sex=gender, for all intents and purposes that this game uses it for.

Community Member

I acknowledge your argument has merit from a real-life, it's just a game point of view.
    However, from a role-playing (or even just immersion) perspective, D&D characters can reproduce, raise children, become grandparents even. They can do this because of their sex.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Or shift post U19.
    Speaking of this something that I've always had an issue with shift with for blocking or anything else is if I tap shift a few times in a short time frame windows pops up the sticky keys thing. Is there a way to stop this?

Speaking of this something that I've always had an issue with shift with for blocking or anything else is if I tap shift a few times in a short time frame windows pops up the sticky keys thing. Is there a way to stop this?
    Ya there should be in option in the window to turn it off. Try pressing shift a bunch out of game and see if it comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by gripshift22 View Post
    this should be good. get ready for the wave of middle aged 50 something white conservative men who spent the the decades after the civil rights movement in a basement playing war games that make up a good portion of ddos player base to chime in a chastise u for being a "feminazi" and trying to explain the concept of gender roles. i learned a long time ago that ddo is not a place for PC discussions.. its best to just play the game,lol
    So in other words, you appreciate tolerance and understanding, just not to anyone that thinks differently than you. And especially those who are over 50, straight, and white. You will decide how they think before asking them or getting any input whatsoever.

And according to your last sentence, you learning a long time ago not to do what you just did, yet you did it anyway.

Look up the word hypocrisy please. You really need to understand the meaning of that word.

Ya there should be in option in the window to turn it off. Try pressing shift a bunch out of game and see if it comes up.
    Got it tx.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

In windows xp go to control panel and choose accessibility options.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast