Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sex

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sex

I just wanted to request, in the reincarnation thread, that we be able to change the sex of a character at the character creation screen during a TR or IR. Then, as a 'might as well', I asked that the devs also amend the label for the male/female option from Gender to Sex.

This generated a branching topic, so I am creating a new thread to continue the discussion without further derailing the original.

Sex
    • Physical
    • Biological
    • Male/Female

• Psychological
    • Masculine/Feminine
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    I just wanted to request, in the reincarnation thread, that we be able to change the sex of a character at the character creation screen during a TR or IR. Then, as a 'might as well', I asked that the devs also amend the label for the male/female option from Gender to Sex.

This generated a branching topic, so I am creating a new thread to continue the discussion without further derailing the original.

Sex
    • Physical
    • Biological
    • Male/Female

• Psychological
    • Masculine/Feminine
    this should be good. get ready for the wave of middle aged 50 something white conservative men who spent the the decades after the civil rights movement in a basement playing war games that make up a good portion of ddos player base to chime in a chastise u for being a "feminazi" and trying to explain the concept of gender roles. i learned a long time ago that ddo is not a place for PC discussions.. its best to just play the game,lol

Quote Originally Posted by gripshift22 View Post
    this should be good. get ready for the wave of middle aged 50 something white conservative men who spent the the decades after the civil rights movement in a basement playing war games that make up a good portion of ddos player base to chime in a chastise u for being a "feminazi" and trying to explain the concept of gender roles. i learned a long time ago that ddo is not a place for PC discussions.. its best to just play the game,lol
    Good luck with that, I find the fantasy / sci fi fan base to be decades ahead of their time on equality issues and such. Star Trek in and of itself pushed the envelope. The way old school D&D rulebooks are printed, where they use female pronouns ~half the time when explaining rule examples is another solid highlight.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Good luck with that, I find the fantasy / sci fi fan base to be decades ahead of their time on equality issues and such. Star Trek in and of itself pushed the envelope. The way old school D&D rulebooks are printed, where they use female pronouns ~half the time when explaining rule examples is another solid highlight.
    just speaking to my experiences here on the forums. i seen many posts like this go south... real quick. just speaking from what iv seen here.

From Turbine’s perspective, I doubt that there is sufficient motivation to change the selectable option in character creation from gender to sex. Specifically, I don’t think that such a change would attract a substantial number of new players; neither do I think that not making the change would lose Turbine a substantial number of current players. The only possible motivation that I see for Trubine is to show that they are a particularly enlightened company. Without some notice able impact on player attraction/retention, I don’t expect the change to be done.

I just wanted to request, in the reincarnation thread, that we be able to change the sex of a character at the character creation screen during a TR or IR.
    Man, this has been requested for as long as I can remember. While I don't recall the specific thread, a Dev chimed in about this once and basically informed us that gender is so fundamentally intrinsic to character data, as in it's split along male/female lines from character creation onward, that to implement such a request would require an almost complete redesign of the database. Sadly, I don't think this is likely to happen.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by AsburyParker View Post
    From Turbine’s perspective, I doubt that there is sufficient motivation to change the selectable option in character creation from gender to sex. Specifically, I don’t think that such a change would attract a substantial number of new players; neither do I think that not making the change would lose Turbine a substantial number of current players. The only possible motivation that I see for Trubine is to show that they are a particularly enlightened company. Without some notice able impact on player attraction/retention, I don’t expect the change to be done.
    Perhaps it will be enough that sex is half the size of gender, so will decrease the code by 3 characters times every place it exists.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Indeed D&D in the mid 70's onward refused to recognize any differences at all between male or female characters... Most DMG's ever printed contained at least some mention of this.

One of the first and most iconic D&D images I can recall (isle of dread from 79-ish box set) a female character about to save the bacon of a male character:

Feel free to discuss her armor bikini and ignore the Elf's form fitting bulge hugging spandex leotard, or the complete lack of armor on the upper body of the fighter.

D&D is not 50 year old conservative males either, what a farcical statement, I'd say our demographic is extremely diverse (from my own experience it is) and probably spans all political and even religious views.... One of the biggest "sticklers" about the difference between "gender" and "sex" i recall in my lifetime was G Gordon Liddy, who after being let out of Jail for refusing to throw the GOP under the bus during watergate, was a popular conservative talk show host, who admittedly was far more listenable and entertaining than Rush, but was a big time semantics weenie.

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    Indeed D&D in the mid 70's onward refused to recognize any differences at all between male or female characters... Most DMG's ever printed contained at least some mention of this.

One of the first and most iconic D&D images I can recall (isle of dread from 79-ish box set) a female character about to save the bacon of a male character:

Feel free to discuss her armor bikini and ignore the Elf's form fitting bulge hugging spandex leotard, or the complete lack of armor on the upper body of the fighter.

D&D is not 50 year old conservative males either, what a farcical statement, I'd say our demographic is extremely diverse (from my own experience it is) and probably spans all political and even religious views.... One of the biggest "sticklers" about the difference between "gender" and "sex" i recall in my lifetime was G Gordon Liddy, who after being let out of Jail for refusing to throw the GOP under the bus during watergate, was a popular conservative talk show host, who admittedly was far more listenable and entertaining than Rush, but was a big time semantics weenie.
    Oh, puh-leeze.

The male barbarian and the female fighter were clearly stripped down for swimming (for fun or washing up or both) when they were rudely interrupted by the serpent. The elf was clearly keeping watch, and he doesn't like to wear armor that interferes with his movement.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

So in other words, you appreciate tolerance and understanding, just not to anyone that thinks differently than you. And especially those who are over 50, straight, and white. You will decide how they think before asking them or getting any input whatsoever.

And according to your last sentence, you learning a long time ago not to do what you just did, yet you did it anyway.

Look up the word hypocrisy please. You really need to understand the meaning of that word.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    So in other words, you appreciate tolerance and understanding, just not to anyone that thinks differently than you. And especially those who are over 50, straight, and white. You will decide how they think before asking them or getting any input whatsoever.

And according to your last sentence, you learning a long time ago not to do what you just did, yet you did it anyway.

Look up the word hypocrisy please. You really need to understand the meaning of that word.
    lol,it was totally just an excuse for me to **** off the group "middle aged conservative white guys" because i just dont like them. never said i wasnt a hypocrite. no shame in my game fool,i hate these people,and also brainless hippie liberals who place too much value in meaningless labels. u can call me him,her,it,***,extra masculine hetero new jesey guy with tribal tats and ugly haircut(actually,the N.J. part might hurt meh feelings,that place should be scourched from the earth)... dont matter to me. call me whatever you want. lol im totally only here for my own enetertinment,and seeing both of these groups,P.O'd is prime real estate /makes popcorn
    Last edited by gripshift22; 10-18-2013 at 01:05 AM.

lol,it was totally just an excuse for me to **** off the group "middle aged conservative white guys" because i just dont like them. never said i wasnt a hypocrite. no shame in my game fool,i hate these people,and also brainless hippie liberals who place too much value in meaningless labels. u can call me him,her,it,***,extra masculine hetero new jesey guy with tribal tats and ugly haircut(actually,the N.J. part might hurt meh feelings,that place should be scourched from the earth)... dont matter to me. call me whatever you want. lol im totally only here for my own enetertinment,and seeing both of these groups,P.O'd is prime real estate /makes popcorn
    Let me guess, daddy said you couldn't borrow the car?

Community Member

Eh, not right now.

So you're a self professed troll from New Jersey.

Get back under the Washington Bridge where you belong.

Thank God I am not in your model of people to which you are being very offensive but one should not label anyone for having an opinion that may differ from you. This is the true meaning of being open minded. According to folks of like mind to your opinions your only open minded if they agree with you.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    Thank God I am not in your model of people to which you are being very offensive but one should not label anyone for having an opinion that may differ from you. This is the true meaning of being open minded. According to folks of like mind to your opinions your only open minded if they agree with you.
    Followed by:

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    Originally gender was used to categorize the physical characteristics of a male/female because some did not want to use the word "sex" for their own personal reasons. Those that are trying to turn the word gender into something other than a physical description are trying to change a words meaning to meet their own politics. As for the game of DDO the word gender is the best option to use since I could care less about anyone's agenda or politics.

Way to defeat the stereotype about conservative middle aged men!

Community Member

As I pointed out in the other thread, Ceci n'est pas une pipe. Discussing the biology and psychology of digital 3D models is as meaningless as trying to argue a certain phallicly shaped rock is somehow inherently male...

The only correct way to phrase it would be "representation of secondary sex characteristics".

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    As I pointed out in the other thread, Ceci n'est pas une pipe. Discussing the biology and psychology of digital 3D models is as meaningless as trying to argue a certain phallicly shaped rock is somehow inherently male...

The only correct way to phrase it would be "representation of secondary sex characteristics".
    Welcome to the light.

So glad you didn't say, 'representation of secondary gender characteristics'.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Then, as a 'might as well', I asked that the devs also amend the label for the male/female option from Gender to Sex.
    You're always going to offend someone if they try hard enough to find something to take offense at. No point trying to make every little thing "politically correct".
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    The Band of Gypsys

There's something I'm curious about in the actual concept of reincarnation is it possible to reincarnate into a different sex? In all the stories that I can think of, the sex is always the same; male to male and female to female.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast