Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sex

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post

Reputable dictionaries should uphold a standard to indicate correct spelling, pronunciation, and usage. Once they cave in to people too lazy to learn even their native tongue properly, what is the point in publishing?

Since shoelaces have been around longer than computers, and comp sci's version of string has a logical derivation from its predecessor, I declare Scarecrow on this point.

My dolls are images of biological organisms, and the human(oid) ones are clearly of either male or female sex. It is how they were formed. Their gender is determined by the person playing them, and the roles they serve. (Pas d'importe, je ne fume pas). The sex of an organism is determined by genetic code; the sex of a character is determined by computer code. Sex can be a factor in gender, but that does not make gender synonymous with sex.
    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Again, as I pointed out in the old thread, and the OP chose to blatantly ignore...

Language is not defined by a dictionary, there's no official arbiter of language (unless you're French). Language is defined by how its used. You cant say that the common vernacular use of a word is wrong, because the meaning of words comes entirely from what we intend to communicate with them.

I can try to say that "sandwich" now means "quesadilla", but if you order a sandwich, you're going to get two pieces of bread, no matter where I print the definition as "melted cheese in a tortilla".

The distinction between sex and gender you're citing is one specific to social studies, and to people who use it for a political agenda. Its not a common-language distinction. You're performing a bit of cultural condescension, trying to tell people they're "wrong" for not using a technical definition instead of the common definition.

DDO is not a social studies game, so it doesnt have to adhere to social science nomenclature, anymore than it has to adhere to geographic nomenclature when its giving names to landforms (Twilight Canyons arent actual canyons, they're more like a karst topography, its equally technically wrong but equally vernacularly fine).

In common use, sex=gender, for all intents and purposes that this game uses it for.
    I did not ignore you; I just moved my response to you to this thread.

Funny how this distinction specific to social studies is also found in high school biology and sex education classes. One would think that being taught this distinction in school would make it common knowledge. I wonder what would result from an Internet search of sex vs. gender.

Interesting you should mention political agenda. I have a suspicion that the deliberate mis-use of gender for sex might have been a matter of political agenda, but I haven't yet researched the evidence for that aspect of my argument. Another thought was that it started as a euphemism for sex by people who were uncomfortable saying sex. Again, I have yet to research possible origins.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Speaking of this something that I've always had an issue with shift with for blocking or anything else is if I tap shift a few times in a short time frame windows pops up the sticky keys thing. Is there a way to stop this?
    First time that happened it was a very inopportune moment. Yes, it's disable-able in the windows control panel.

I did not ignore you; I just moved my response to you to this thread.

Funny how this distinction specific to social studies is also found in high school biology and sex education classes. One would think that being taught this distinction in school would make it common knowledge. I wonder what would result from an Internet search of sex vs. gender.

Interesting you should mention political agenda. I have a suspicion that the deliberate mis-use of gender for sex might have been a matter of political agenda, but I haven't yet researched the evidence for that aspect of my argument. Another thought was that it started as a euphemism for sex by people who were uncomfortable saying sex. Again, I have yet to research possible origins.
    The word use that gets me is when people say decimation and mean devastation.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    The word use that gets me is when people say decimation and mean devastation.
    Or apocalypse when they mean Armageddon?

Lay when they mean lie?

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by charononus View Post
    speaking of this something that i've always had an issue with shift with for blocking or anything else is if i tap shift a few times in a short time frame windows pops up the sticky keys thing. Is there a way to stop this?
    Quote Originally Posted by satyriasys View Post
    ya there should be in option in the window to turn it off. Try pressing shift a bunch out of game and see if it comes up.
    Quote Originally Posted by charononus View Post
    got it tx.
    Quote Originally Posted by krelar View Post
    in windows xp go to control panel and choose accessibility options.
    Quote Originally Posted by azb View Post
    first time that happened it was a very inopportune moment. yes, it's disable-able in the windows control panel.
    omg!!!!!
    Off topic!!!!!
    I am going to demand a moderator delete these posts for trolling my thread!!!!!!!!!!!

J/k

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Cool Oh, wow! Homework

I was just reviewing my homework notes, and I believe I can turn this thread into an essay.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

I rather see a difference between Male and Female Warforged.
    EXTREME PREJUDICE™ - by Turbine.
    GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.
    LMAO! M...D...? Seriously? - You have received an infraction...

Community Member Book_O_Dragons's Avatar

Or apocalypse when they mean Armageddon?

Lay when they mean lie?
    My pet peeve is dice when talking about a single object.
    The worst problem on the DDO forums right now

Primary Server: Khyber ~~~ Officer in Knights of Kern

I was just reviewing my homework notes, and I believe I can turn this thread into an essay.
    I thought I smelled chalk while I was reading this post.

Default fer cryin out loud...

This isnt going to end well.

Sigh. Ok I go with it. Cause I dont want to see fugly characters. I can look at my sister all I want... (and I don't!) If I tr my characters and whups I need to go helf, I sure aint gonna not choose that booty the girls are sporting. If I gotta look at the rear end of a character for hours on end... It better appeal.

So I would like the ability to swap.

Fer crying out... Uska, If this happens your Paladins are finally gonna get their Pink Polka-dotted Plate Bikini you ALWAYS dreamed of..... yeah I said it.

Evil alignment for the win!!!

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Again, as I pointed out in the old thread, and the OP chose to blatantly ignore...

Language is not defined by a dictionary, there's no official arbiter of language (unless you're French). Language is defined by how its used. You cant say that the common vernacular use of a word is wrong, because the meaning of words comes entirely from what we intend to communicate with them.

I can try to say that "sandwich" now means "quesadilla", but if you order a sandwich, you're going to get two pieces of bread, no matter where I print the definition as "melted cheese in a tortilla".

The distinction between sex and gender you're citing is one specific to social studies, and to people who use it for a political agenda. Its not a common-language distinction. You're performing a bit of cultural condescension, trying to tell people they're "wrong" for not using a technical definition instead of the common definition.

DDO is not a social studies game, so it doesnt have to adhere to social science nomenclature, anymore than it has to adhere to geographic nomenclature when its giving names to landforms (Twilight Canyons arent actual canyons, they're more like a karst topography, its equally technically wrong but equally vernacularly fine).

In common use, sex=gender, for all intents and purposes that this game uses it for.

Sorry, but you are wrong. I'm not saying I think you are wrong because "I disagree with your political agenda." I'm saying you are wrong because you are objectively wrong.

The difference between gender and sex IS a common language distinction. The only people who don't understand this are people who are uneducated and/or ignorant, like people who confuse "their" and "there". Just because a lot of people confuse the two terms, doesn't mean both usages are equivalent.

By the way, the two terms overlap to a large degree, so when speaking in a heteronormative situation, the two terms CAN be used interchangeably. However, when talking in the context of gender roles, LGBTQ, etc., the distinction between the two terms is obvious and important. Frankly, you're just going to look like a huge dumbass if you try to use them interchangeably there.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    So in other words, you appreciate tolerance and understanding, just not to anyone that thinks differently than you. And especially those who are over 50, straight, and white. You will decide how they think before asking them or getting any input whatsoever.

And according to your last sentence, you learning a long time ago not to do what you just did, yet you did it anyway.

Look up the word hypocrisy please. You really need to understand the meaning of that word.
    lol,it was totally just an excuse for me to **** off the group "middle aged conservative white guys" because i just dont like them. never said i wasnt a hypocrite. no shame in my game fool,i hate these people,and also brainless hippie liberals who place too much value in meaningless labels. u can call me him,her,it,***,extra masculine hetero new jesey guy with tribal tats and ugly haircut(actually,the N.J. part might hurt meh feelings,that place should be scourched from the earth)... dont matter to me. call me whatever you want. lol im totally only here for my own enetertinment,and seeing both of these groups,P.O'd is prime real estate /makes popcorn
    Last edited by gripshift22; 10-18-2013 at 02:05 AM.

Community Member

I think it's time to consider adding true biological hermaphrodite as a sex option: quite apart from it's potential for creating carnival-style bearded ladies and Tolkeinesque bearded dwarves, it would certainly tick the box as a customisation option that you can't find anywhere else! Furthermore, we know that there are some men who don't feel comfortable playing female characters and vice versa... what if there's some long-suffering real-life hermaphrodite out there with the same disposition, suffering in silence? Add hermaphrodites, Turbine - it's not just the smart thing to do, it's also the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by gripshift22 View Post
    lol,it was totally just an excuse for me to **** off the group "middle aged conservative white guys" because i just dont like them. never said i wasnt a hypocrite. no shame in my game fool,i hate these people,and also brainless hippie liberals who place too much value in meaningless labels. u can call me him,her,it,***,extra masculine hetero new jesey guy with tribal tats and ugly haircut(actually,the N.J. part might hurt meh feelings,that place should be scourched from the earth)... dont matter to me. call me whatever you want. lol im totally only here for my own enetertinment,and seeing both of these groups,P.O'd is prime real estate /makes popcorn
    Let me guess, daddy said you couldn't borrow the car?

Community Member

Eh, not right now.

Community Member

when it comes to the wording in the UI changing it is generally a painstaking process of finding each and every instance (be that hard coded or in a language translation file) and changing it by hand, ensuring the word is used in the context you're thinking about.

you'll probably find developers grumbling less about changing the code to allow us to switch sex/gender than having to change the wording throughout the whole game!

as for the importance, i think it is trivial. i'm used to having special and specific meaning for words in my line of work, then ignoring those special meanings when talking to people who are not in my line of work.

here are two examples of words that are often used incorrectly.

theory, common language uses this in a very different way to the scientific community, especially when talking about what the scientific community are getting up to.

lightbulb, i have two friends who are electricians who have been drilled by their teachers that bulbs go in the dirt and lamps give us light. would you consider calling it a lamp instead of a lightbulb for the sake of correctness?

this whole thread is based on the technical usage of 2 very common words. such technicalities are not needed in general conversation. when you say "i have a theory about how turbine are catching the dupers" you're technically using the word "theory" in completely the wrong way, but it doesn't matter as for general communication it is clear what you are saying and everyone understands you. when we talk of the sex or gender of our characters the technical difference doesn't matter, it's clear what we are talking about and unless you get into heavy RP the technical difference is not going to matter. toon, alt, char, doll, all these words mean the same thing to us as gamers, yet to others i can see such words being very confusing!

as a developer i know the time to change it would put management off. as a gamer i see no problem with using both words in their general and interchangeable way. we're smashing kobolds in the face not debating the finer points of society and sexuality. now you have raised my curiosity and i will look up the difference between the two words, but much like "theory" and "lightbulb" that doesn't mean i should change my usage of both words in everyday conversation (though it could help when i do talk about society and sexuality).

finally one very good reason to leave it as "gender", no smart alec will try looking for the "yes please" option
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

So you're a self professed troll from New Jersey.

Get back under the Washington Bridge where you belong.

this should be good. get ready for the wave of middle aged 50 something white conservative men who spent the the decades after the civil rights movement in a basement playing war games that make up a good portion of ddos player base to chime in a chastise u for being a "feminazi" and trying to explain the concept of gender roles. i learned a long time ago that ddo is not a place for PC discussions.. its best to just play the game,lol
    Thank God I am not in your model of people to which you are being very offensive but one should not label anyone for having an opinion that may differ from you. This is the true meaning of being open minded. According to folks of like mind to your opinions your only open minded if they agree with you.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

Pirate Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperAlexEU View Post
    lightbulb, i have two friends who are electricians who have been drilled by their teachers that bulbs go in the dirt and lamps give us light. would you consider calling it a lamp instead of a lightbulb for the sake of correctness?
    *grin* In Dutch they used to be called pears, same as the fruit :P
    (too many non-pearshaped lamps around these days so the word went out of vogue, but most people will still instantly know what you mean).

Greetz,
    Red Orm

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    Normal humans are born one of two sexes, hence the word sex, section, to divide, it is half of a whole. Gender on the other hand is a social role. Since our avatars cannot reproduce and have no sexual organs we can only choose our gender as that is the role we are choosing to express ourselves within the game.
    Originally gender was used to categorize the physical characteristics of a male/female because some did not want to use the word "sex" for their own personal reasons. Those that are trying to turn the word gender into something other than a physical description are trying to change a words meaning to meet their own politics. As for the game of DDO the word gender is the best option to use since I could care less about anyone's agenda or politics.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast