Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sex

Cool Did I read wrong or are they implementing it?

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    Man, this has been requested for as long as I can remember. While I don't recall the specific thread, a Dev chimed in about this once and basically informed us that gender is so fundamentally intrinsic to character data, as in it's split along male/female lines from character creation onward, that to implement such a request would require an almost complete redesign of the database. Sadly, I don't think this is likely to happen.
    Actually, it sounds to me like the devs are seriously considering it, which is very exciting:

A couple of us posted in the Reincarnation Reincarnated thread that a gender change option at TR-time would be a great option, and timely since they are revising TR mechaics.

Rapkin posted this:
    Quote Originally Posted by RapkintheRanger View Post
    Please:

sex change: either through the TR process
    OR
    Sex reassignment surgery with Mentau the Fleshmaker.

DDO's Senior Producer Glin replied he communicated with DDO's lead engineer and is looking at it:

Quote Originally Posted by Glin View Post
    I ran this by our lead engineer and he felt threatened by the prospect of Mentau doing anything to his avatar. He prefers to do the former.

Note: We will know how big a task that is by the time we take it to Lamannia.

As far as the character name part goes, a gender-change option at TR will increase sales of name change tokens (or whatever they are called in store).
    "So maybe it's about time we all get a reality check and realize that if you raid, run epics, and have capped toons and worry about ED's TR's and all that jazz, you are a small part of the population of this game, a very small part in fact." -- Ungood

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    You're always going to offend someone if they try hard enough to find something to take offense at. No point trying to make every little thing "politically correct".
    This, with the addendum that the OP sort of goes to prove it.

As far as sex change goes I don't see our name being much of an issue. We already can change class and race so seeing a male barb named Susan is not any more inappropriate than a Drow Rogue named Healbot.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    As far as sex change goes I don't see our name being much of an issue. We already can change class and race so seeing a male barb named Susan is not any more inappropriate than a Drow Rogue named Healbot.
    They could join the Johnny Cash guild, or create it...

...so seeing a male barb named Susan...
    Not sure why when I read this my mind went to Shel Silverstein's Poem "A Boy Named Sue". More popularly recognized as one of Johnny Cash's Hit's.

Sorry for the derailment...

How about you role play your gender ID instead of breaking it down to some form of binary "gay/notgay" bit switch that serves no value in the game itself? Do we need a programmed bit switch that details your handedness as well too? No, no we do not.

PS: Lame troll attempt OP. You tool.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firepants View Post
    How about you role play your gender ID instead of breaking it down to some form of binary "gay/notgay" bit switch that serves no value in the game itself? Do we need a programmed bit switch that details your handedness as well too? No, no we do not.

PS: Lame troll attempt OP. You tool.
    I haven't noticed any posts discussing sexual orientation...

Oh, wait. You already identified your post as a lame troll attempt. Nvm.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    I haven't noticed any posts discussing sexual orientation...

Oh, wait. You already identified your post as a lame troll attempt. Nvm.
    It's really hard to not laugh at this post, given the OP. Thanks for the entertainment.

Wait, in today's climate, laughing at really nonsensical stuff may be considered Racist or Sexist, so just forget I said anything, I wouldn't want to come off as a troll in a troll thread, after all.

Sadly, Webster's seems to eventually cave in to the pressure of the lowest common denominator with respect to mis-used and mis-pronounced words. Fortunately, there are other sources to help clarify the issue.

I want the option to change the physical form of a character from male to female, or the reverse, during a TR/IR. Therefore, I want to be able to change the sex of my character during a TR/IR.

If I wanted to change the gender of a character, I would just let my brother play it.

ETA: Admittedly, 'Gender' is more appropriate for Warforged.
    And to think, I threw my 2 cents out in the original thread and never went back to see what happened. Bad Dawn!

All kidding aside. In case I came across all wrong, I'll give it a shot here:

I am taking quite a few Sociology classes this year (2 so far) and I do know this difference in Sociology. I do expect the rest of the developed world to figure it out sooner or later (10 years is still my wag). But while I would have absolutely no problem with Turbine changing it, I do not expect it because society right this moment defines it the way the dictionary does. Turbine makes no extra money taking a side in something that they can dodge by pointing at Webster's.

Now I will go back to ignoring threads

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

Coming soon to the DDO store!

The Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity

Such a girdle looks like an ordinary leather belt, but when worn immediately switches the wearer's sex to the opposite gender, then loses all power.
    Half-elves are immune to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Half-elves get it no matter what belt they put on...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    It's really hard to not laugh at this post, given the OP. Thanks for the entertainment.

Wait, in today's climate, laughing at really nonsensical stuff may be considered Racist or Sexist, so just forget I said anything, I wouldn't want to come off as a troll in a troll thread, after all.
    A troll thread? Please read again. My teachers put a lot of effort into making sure I know which words mean what, and I would hate to see all their hard work go to waste. Too many mis-used and mis-pronounced words are propagated throughout our world via media, fora, and games. Is it really to much to ask for the right word to be used? How is this any different from requesting the fix of any other typo or misprint?

It seems as though mediocre is the new best, and that is not a good thing. :/

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Perhaps they only get half the effect?

Same for half-orcs?

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

A troll thread? Please read again. My teachers put a lot of effort into making sure I know which words mean what, and I would hate to see all their hard work go to waste. Too many mis-used and mis-pronounced words are propagated throughout our world via media, fora, and games. Is it really to much to ask for the right word to be used? How is this any different from requesting the fix of any other typo or misprint?

To what end? What difference does it really make? To be quite frank, I never really paid much attention to it, and I have characters of both genders. So because you know what a word means, it's now offensive to you? Was it offensive before you knew what the word meant? So now, because you know, and you find it offensive, you want them to change the game to suit you?

So, show of hands, how many people are going to rage quit if it never gets changed? If anyone is going to rage quit because of it, how many are going to try to file sexism lawsuits because of it?

My vote: Not that offended by the misuse/misspelling of words, otherwise every time somebody wrote weather when they meant whether I'd be having a massive coronary just reading these forums, let alone every where else that it happens on a daily basis.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

[QUOTE=Tscheuss;5136258]Too many mis-used and mis-pronounced words are propagated throughout our world via media, fora, and games. Is it really to much to ask for the right word to be used? /QUOTE]

Who decides what the "right" word is, or what a word means for that matter? It seems to me that that is a job for the speakers of the language. If the majority decided that a given word has a certain meaning then doesn't it make the most sense for the word to have that meaning?

I would take what your "teachers" say with a grain of salt. They have their own agenda and it isn't education.

DDO already uses the correct word. Sex or Gender would be appropriate as we are limited to our outer appearance and our imagination.

Because a name change is no more cosmetic and irrelevant to gameplay than a sex change. You don't think anyone cares that someone is running around as a barb named Susan, then why is it so important to not be running around as a female dwarf as opposed to a male one?

Everything in the TR process impacts gameplay, except general looks, I'd rather we avoid adding cosmetics that have no impact on gameplay. You want cosmetics, I'm cool with that, but they should be a separate mechanic.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Is this a greatest hits? I've seen this thread (slightly modified) and thread title before.

Naaaa, Jay Lenno-face doesnt make one immune.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Or perhaps the language evolved past the point where the folks who point to definitions in archaic books as justification are at. I love it when educators attempt to make it sound like every rule they teach is written in stone, only to have the next big cultural breakthrough be something that completely ignores all those rules they tried to nail to the floor.

Those same types of people were telling Isaac Newton he was full of it when he explained gravity, said rock and roll was just a no talent phase where folks played the same 4 chords, and attempted to explain to us that the PC would have no practical use in the household family unit. The "everything is set in stone" folks rarely if ever win out in the end. Those rules get broken, and a new stage in the cultural development of the populace begins. Masters and Johnson attempted to tell us there were strict definitions for "sex" and "gender" some odd 60 years ago. Youd probably cringe if you heard what those were. What happens when they get together with folks who believe in the more modern day definitions? They all start thumping their books claiming they are the only "correct" source of information.
    Last edited by Chai; 10-17-2013 at 04:45 PM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast