Community Member

Default Looting etiquette?

Well, the subject says it all... Are there any generic dos and dont's when teaming with someone else, as far as chests and stuff on the ground go?

Community Member

Everyone should get their own rolls on chests, there's no etiquette involved, unless you do something like join a "please pass X" game, then you should probably pass X Or, correlatively, if you get a good bound item you don't need, its polite to offer it to the group first.

As for stuff on the ground? With the possible, extremely rare exception of tomes dropping from breakables, I don't think there's anything that you'd find on the ground that anyone would really care if you picked up or not.

Rule of thumb: If it drops in your name, it's yours to do whatever you want with. You can take it (even if it has no use to you). You can leave it (don't do that). Pass it to a friend/guildie. Or, if you don't want it and you have no friends/guildies, throw it for for "roll". (Typically say something like "[Item] d(numbers) high/low." One of the most common examples, Shard of Power d100 high.)

If it drops in someone else's name and they put it up for roll, respect any rules they add. ("Casters only", "Melees only") It's silly and rarely done, but it did drop for them, so it's their rules.

There's also a no-no of having your friend roll for you, then passing you the item if he wins. (Some people don't care, some do. /tell the person putting the item up for roll as a matter of courtesy, again respecting their rules.) Some people, like me, don't care, so I allow it. (Hey, I ain't using it. As far as I'm concerned, whoever gets it can do whatever they want with it.
    If in doubt, just /tell the person with the item. (Note. To roll, type "/roll dxyz" xyz are numbers, so go off whatever they said. For d100, it's "/roll d100", no quotation marks.

Uh.. In short.. If it drops for you, do whatever you want with it. If it drops for someone else, roll if you want it, obeying any rules they have. If a friend offers to roll on your behalf (meaning both of you roll), check with the person with the item to see if that's okay.

The only time anyone gets upset at all is with bound to character loot, which is 99.9% from raids. I don't think you have to worry about any particular etiquette outside of raiding parties. In a raid, well, there are tons of very heated threads on the topic. A good rule is, if you can use it, loot it. If you can't, putting it up for roll wins the most allies later, though passing it to a friend or guildy is not generally considered poor form. If you win a roll, do NOT pass the loot again after it's passed to you. This is a big no no. As well, do not accept loot passed to you after it's already been passed. Basically everyone gets one roll on an item this way. You should not have friends roll for you and you shouldn't roll for friends. This action is frowned upon by the majority of the community and could have you end up on blacklists.

If it's just random loot gen from any old chest, just loot it and move on. Stopping and asking everyone if they want your +1 Scimitar of Rapid Strikes or whatever junk from every chest will get old really fast.
    Last edited by redspecter23; 10-17-2013 at 08:56 AM.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

2016 DDO Players Council Stoner81's Avatar

Some people will offer to buy/trade for raid loot if you pull an item they want so for example "will trade comms for Pinion" and for the most this is perfectly acceptable behavior and happens quite often. However, buying items with plat is (imho) frowned upon since then it becomes whoever has the most wins and it can screw over newer players who don't have masses of plat stashed away. I have never seen this happen but have heard of it so I would say it's probably quite rare but at least keep your eyes peeled.

If you are in doubt at all at any time about any specific loot pulls (especially in raids) then just say so in the party chat something like "hey guys is there any special loot rules or anything in this run?" at least you will get an answer one way or the other

Stoner.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    Some people will offer to buy/trade for raid loot if you pull an item they want so for example "will trade comms for Pinion" and for the most this is perfectly acceptable behavior and happens quite often.
    This only became standard with Citw, it's little sad but at this point it's not gonna change.
    Maybe it started because of more pugging, less players in raids, or ****** comm drop rates, but something that would get you kicked a year before quite quickly became a norm.
    Also plat, comms, 20 reds, Otto's box, whatever, I don't see the difference when it's the principle in question.
    Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Encair View Post
    Also plat, comms, 20 reds, Otto's box, whatever, I don't see the difference when it's the principle in question.
    Personally, I differ between them.

Comms come from the raid. If I got a Balizarde and someone got a Pinion, but I wanted the Pinion and he wanted the Balizarde, I consider a straight trade to be fair - raid loot for raid loot.
    If we swap Pinion for comms, I still consider it fair - it's not pay to win. Both of us "won" the RNG roll, but we'd prefer each others prize.

It's only unfair when it involves non raid loot, such as Otto's, plats, reds in something other than VON VI, etc.

Community Member

there are 3 types of loot, stuff in chests, stuff on the ground from breakables and collectables (either scenery or the little bags some mobs drop.

stuff in chests is all yours, see above for some good ideas on what to do if the item binds. you cannot steal someone elses loot from a chest

stuff on the floor from breakables is kinda new, in so much as it can now drop regular loot instead of just potions. most of the time other players will just ignore it, so feel free to wander over and pick it up if players turn away from it. generally a vet won't need the item to sell, but you as a newbie will find it a lot more valuable as you steadily build up your wealth.

collectables hold 1 for each player, so once again it is impossible to steal someone elses collectable.

DDO was designed to avoid the whole ninja looter problem other games can suffer from, so just relax and go have fun!
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

Your loot is your loot and nobody has a right to it, but if you don't need something you pulled or won't really use it than please put it up for roll for players that could put the loot to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    The only time anyone gets upset at all is with bound to character loot, which is 99.9% from raids. I don't think you have to worry about any particular etiquette outside of raiding parties. In a raid, well, there are tons of very heated threads on the topic. A good rule is, if you can use it, loot it. If you can't, putting it up for roll wins the most allies later, though passing it to a friend or guildy is not generally considered poor form. If you win a roll, do NOT pass the loot again after it's passed to you. This is a big no no. As well, do not accept loot passed to you after it's already been passed. Basically everyone gets one roll on an item this way. You should not have friends roll for you and you shouldn't roll for friends. This action is frowned upon by the majority of the community and could have you end up on blacklists.

If it's just random loot gen from any old chest, just loot it and move on. Stopping and asking everyone if they want your +1 Scimitar of Rapid Strikes or whatever junk from every chest will get old really fast.
    ^pretty much this.

Things people dont like to see..

1. Someone who rolls on every loot regardless of whether or not they can use it...
    ~ be concious of the fact that other people are looking for these things as well, If you are winning rolls on multiple items then you are greeding your way through and you are going to create ill will. many people have been blacklisted/squelched for this.. loothoars are generally not welcomed in future raids.
    ~If there are multiple things you want then be smart about how you roll, roll for the primary things you want if you dont get those then roll for secondary ones. If you win the primary one then let the rest go to others.
    ~Dont loot immediately if you do do multiple win rolls.. if something comes up for roll after you have won something, or you win two things.. say something like "hey i just got both of these items i didnt realize the one i wanted more was going up for roll when I rolled for the first item, I am going to pass x (the one I wanted less) to the 2nd highest roller" (check to make sure he is still in raid).
    ~ people dont mind you taking stuff if no one else wants them.. a simple "I can use that if no one else wants it" after waiting a few seconds of no rolls on a item.

2. Someone repeatedly spamming things like "X" is mine if it drops, pass me "X" if it drops, give me X, i need "X"....
    ~ it is fine to let everyone know your desire for said item, but we saw it the first time.. we dont need it spammed.
    ~ keep in mind, passing, demanding, dibbs,... all generally frowned upon., just because someone is more vocal doesnt mean others dont need it as well. Putting up for roll is the preferred method.

3. If you want everyones leftovers, a simple "will take anything anyone doesnt want .. I am new and dont have much, trying to build up deconstruction, or cashflow or whatever..." , remember.. dont spam it.. spammers are annoying.

4. someone gets something good and says will trade for frds for this , or first person to offer me "X" gets ..
    ~ had someone get Tharnes goggles in a pug raid run and typed give me a FRDS for it, no one would trade, he left it in the chest and recalled... guess what.. = instant blacklist/squelch.
    ~ If he had looted it and recalled and deleted it later, no one would have been any the wiser, being a dxx gets you negative karma.

Ultimately, you are running with a group of people most of which are looking for a night of entertainment, and hopefully some good loot as well, the karma you generate by your actions will dictate your ability to join future runs with these same people.

The same can be said of you running with these people, thye also generate karma with you..
    Last edited by JOTMON; 10-17-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(HC 28/42,EC 26/36,IC 12/12), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-EC 32/36), Whatthetruck(Raid farmer-2nd life).. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

I think other posters have covered most of it.

Key Points:

What is in the Chest is yours to do with as you see fit {see note}, what falls in the chest for others is theirs to do with as they see fit

While selling BtC/BtA loot is not a "Bad" thing, it is frowned upon by some groups so make sure you understand the loot rules if any. It is especially frowned upon to "Sell" your loot and roll on loot others have put up.

It is ok to ask another person if you can have/buy/trade for a random item that they have in the chest, especially as a new player, but ask once and don't ask for everything, something like "Hey, are you going to use that +2 Longsword of Holy goodness? If not I could really use that against these spectral skeletons". Most vets I know are more than happy to help out a fellow player that could benefit from an Item/Weapon/Consumable that would just be vender'd/deconstructed/left in chest.

Note: Some quest runs will come with an agreement that a certain action will happen, by joining and participating in the quest you are agreeing to that condition. If you don't agree you are free to drop group before entering the quest.

If you join a group with loot rules stated up-front, either in the LFM or agreed upon before the quest begins, abide by those rules.
    Otherwise, if it drops in your name it's yours.

Community Member

Don't over-stress about the whole "loot rules" thing.

I agree with pretty much everything posted, and it's good to have awareness of "general" ideas and expectations with respect to loot guidelines. But no matter what you do you will run in to the situation where things aren't followed or you are accused of not following what is "obvious courtesy". The most important thing is to remember it's just a game and you are there to have fun. Don't overstress it.

Examples.
    The person who roles d333 instead of d33 and gets passed the loot but then doesn't say anything to point out the mistake, loots quickly and is gone like a shot. Blacklist, don't blacklist, whatever, but don't get too upset, it will happen...

The person who puts up a "farming runs" lfm then equates that to be equivalent to "please pass X" and tells you how horrible you are for not passing a named item "they reserved" (in some cases after they not you piked the quest). You can help prevent these misunderstandings by clarifying the expectations of certain lfm's with the party leader when you join a group, but don't let yourself get walked on by unreasonable people.
    Thelanis:
    Annikka (Sorc), Dannikka (F), Jannikka (Rgr)
    Tamikka (Bard), Famikka (Rgr)
    Bellynda (Cl), Mellynda (M)

I loot tickets

Community Member

Thanks everyone. Seems to be straightforward enough (although the bit about trading your reservation for plat being controversial would've surprised me if I just stumbled upon it in-game, but I see why not everyone would be OK with it.)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3dent View Post
    Well, the subject says it all... Are there any generic dos and dont's when teaming with someone else, as far as chests and stuff on the ground go?
    Yeah. The loot in the chest with you name next to is YOURS. What YOU choose to do with it is YOUR business.

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by rayworks View Post
    Yeah. The loot in the chest with you name next to is YOURS. What YOU choose to do with it is YOUR business.
    Yep, I agree regardless of what any silly LFM may say.

Quote Originally Posted by rayworks View Post
    Mechanically this is correct. Nobody can tell you what to do with your loot, but the title is about etiquette. Yes, you can loot everything and destroy it. You can pass it to players that have already left on purpose. You can sell it to the highest bidder. You can let it rot. These things are not likely to win you any friends and could certainly lead to less grouping opportunities in your future. Yes you can do these things. The question is, is it acceptable to do in this gaming environment if you want to progress socially in DDO. You might be level 28 with maxed destinies and all the loot in the world, but if your social level is zero, your endgame suffers.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default ?

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    Mechanically this is correct. Nobody can tell you what to do with your loot, but the title is about etiquette. Yes, you can loot everything and destroy it. You can pass it to players that have already left on purpose. You can sell it to the highest bidder. You can let it rot. These things are not likely to win you any friends and could certainly lead to less grouping opportunities in your future. Yes you can do these things. The question is, is it acceptable to do in this gaming environment if you want to progress socially in DDO. You might be level 28 with maxed destinies and all the loot in the world, but if your social level is zero, your endgame suffers.
    Correct and people can choose not to have any etiquette. What he is saying is it about your choice and what you choose to do with your loot. You are in the driver's seat, not the LFM, etc. You can choose to have etiquette or not.

I forgot to mention when puggin' or posting an LFM the game is more fun and palattable if you don't have any expectations of other people and their behavior.
    Last edited by Livmo; 10-17-2013 at 07:31 PM. Reason: gorgot to mention