Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gauthaag View Post
    what about starting with those deathjump spiders from Trial by fury?
    LOL!

I think the OP should just play NWN (not the online one.. it stinks..) and/or Dragon Age.. You're alone, but have some party members that you command.. You have friendly fire, you have everything you need to play a RPG and enjoy tactics..

The theory is not that bad, but you really can't apply it to DDO.. Lots of quests should be changed.. CITW for sure.. unless you do like someone already suggested.. And btw, in P&P cleave doesn't really work like in DDO.. They should change that feat too.. It's not like you can introduce only the things you "like" leaving out the others..

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by satyriasys View Post
    just because it is a fantasy environment doesn't mean the laws of physics go out the window.
    lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    No it isn't. Magic and creatures ARE realistic in the DDO world. Walking through other people is not. (unless by magic)
    Just because it is a fantasy environment doesn't mean the laws of physics go out the window. I don't see how people constantly fail to understand this.
    to quote Varsuvius "I should avoid casting any spells tonight, if only to give the laws of physics time to cry alone in the corner"
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedium_jt View Post

More realistic.
    realistic?

Earth calling?

Oh, no-one home.....
    "IM-PLO-SION: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

"Some are insane, and the're in charge"
    (GoF)

Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....

Community Member

Yeah, you should have 3 sets of weapons quickly. Everything else should have a time penalty. Maybe increase the time on certain gear swaps too.

-5 to hit or -5 Concentration for every toon in your 5 foot area.

That should make things interesting. The game needs more dynamics to combat. They can do it. If my healing aura can sense who is in it then they can do these negatives.

Should revolutionize the game.

Sorry I want to make the game harder for you. Don't worry. You can adapt.
    You know, we all complain about Turbine a lot it seems. But at least Turbine doesn't employ people like this. Otherwise we'd all be looking for a new game.

OP - You want realism? Then stop playing a computer game. Go make yourself some armor and weapons in real life, grab some friends, and trudge around in real sewers looking for kobolds.

We all like parties, but every so often along comes someone who wants nothing else than to **** in the cake...

(BTW, nice troll.)

I do not agree with the ops suggestion. It is rather silly but it seems many of you don't have a clue what realism is, or how hard game designers work to create an immersive environment. Here are just a few examples of basic world design; physics engine, geography, animation, lightning, sound design, water physics.

So you may attack the ops suggestion but don't mock him for wanting things realistic. Without realism we would still be playing Atari.

You hit a caster or get hit a spell is ruined. Does not matter what levels you are. Why should a friend be any different if they bump into you.

5 melees standing in the same spot hacking away and not hitting eachother is stupid. Lets just say you would not hit your buddy, but it should make things harder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizeh View Post
    Also have AOE spells hurt friend and foe alike - more realistic.

Or just remove magic and supernatural creatures from the game - more realistic.
    YEs, have friendly fire, the -10 pen whille fighting next to eachother, also; full fort only for full plate wearing toons, no protection from heals for the pale masters, be able to farm essences from elemental sorcs, the abillety to farm adamantine from warforged toons, have mass cures/heals also heal mobs/bosses, force permadeath/hardcore down everybody's throat. ugh, i'm rambling again....
    You know op? you're idea is the least insane on in this thread, grats!!!

Alo:IBTL

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    What nonsense are you spouting?

PENALTIES for standing near each other? I suppose the legions of Rome did it wrong? (Or the spartans... but the Romans had more math.)

Why would arcanes get a penalty standing together? What infernal reason can you devise?

Also, Lolth. 1 melee, 11 rangers. Gotcha.
    Stop making sence!

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Accept that most people hate the idea and think it's bad game design and move on.
    Spot on, now please lock it mods.

The tread that is, the op should turn himself in at the nearest authorities and ask for a nice white coat with straps on the back XD

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gizeh View Post
    Apparently you missed that I wasn't being serious.

This kind of thing works in a turn-based environment (as proven by my weekly RPG group ), but I doubt it would be in any way beneficial in a real-time combat system.

The same applies to penalties invoked by standing in the same spot. At most there should be some kind of grid* that prevents two or more creatures from occupying the same spot - at least this way, while making it impossible for player characters to "stack" in one square, defending narrow passages with few characters would become easier ("more realistic").

*edit: or aura around characters which prevents others from entering the same spot
    Ok, there's the solution: Make DDO turn-based.
    *dives for cover, but makes sure to land in a large buckt of popcorn*

ummm, i m curious, what have heavy fort to do with wearing fullplate? its not armor property, its enchantment

ummm, i m curious, what have heavy fort to do with wearing fullplate? its not armor property, its enchantment
    1) Quote what you're replying too, or else I check OP. :P

2) Robes with some magic stuffs stop critical hits more than the strongest non-magic armour known to [anything]? Yup. Seems legit, as people say.

3) This is a troll thread. Non-troll posts just add to the success of.. uh.. "firemedium_it".

Community Member

Nothing, he trolled worse than the OP, as heavy fort on light, medium, and even robes works in pen and paper. And the mass cure spells don't target an area, they target individual members in pen and paper.. meaning your party, not enemies. Basically people are taking the OP as a troll and becoming progressively more ridiculous.

Meh, should have friendly fire...If you're recklessly casting spells or cleaving too close to your team mates you should do damage to them. Total ******baggery with how most of ddo community acts, but at least it would be closer to how dnd works...you know, that game this game was originally based off of? Naturally people don't want to think, they want to press the button and watch the big numbers fly.

Just because it is a fantasy environment doesn't mean the laws of physics go out the window. I don't see how people constantly fail to understand this.
    The "laws" of physics are mere guidelines at best for my wizard. I don't see how people constantly fail to understand this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Veriden View Post
    Meh, should have friendly fire...If you're recklessly casting spells or cleaving too close to your team mates you should do damage to them. Total ******baggery with how most of ddo community acts, but at least it would be closer to how dnd works...you know, that game this game was originally based off of? Naturally people don't want to think, they want to press the button and watch the big numbers fly.
    In a turn-based game this would be possible, as melee are always on the front lines.
    In a turn-based game there is also a metamagic feat called Sculpt Spell, you may want to look it up.

Also, what makes you so bitter for call the community ******bags?
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==$==ORIEN==$==$==$==$==$==$==$=
    Darthwolf **(?_?) Zendarth m(?_?m) Darthnoheals \(?_?)
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==House Do'Urden==$==$==$==$==$==$=

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veriden View Post

No, there shouldn't be. In DND you can draw the AoE and figure things out on your turn. You usually aim the fireball 20 feet or so behind the enemy lines so it just hits them.
    In DDO this isn't feasible as it is real time.

Oh, and in real D&D hit points are more equal, so one spell from friendly fire doesnt wipe your party. Check how much damage characters do in DDO, and their HP doesn't scale right for that. Monsters have hundreds of thousands of hit points. PCs have hundreds. Or a thousand or so at end game.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    The "laws" of physics are mere guidelines at best for my wizard. I don't see how people constantly fail to understand this.
    If you're using magic to bypass the laws of physics that is realistic within the established lore of the game.

Have none of you played pnp before? The whole concept of D&D came about from a combat simulation game. The ops suggestion is exactly the type of combat D&D already has. Although he is taking it too far for what this game is.

If you're using magic to bypass the laws of physics that is realistic within the established lore of the game.

Have none of you played pnp before? The whole concept of D&D came about from a combat simulation game. The ops suggestion is exactly the type of combat D&D already has. Although he is taking it too far for what this game is.
    ddo =/= pnp

ddo is an mmo it can not include all the rules of pnp and stay fun, trying to do so would be a stupid move by the dev team.

You hit a caster or get hit a spell is ruined. Does not matter what levels you are. Why should a friend be any different if they bump into you.

5 melees standing in the same spot hacking away and not hitting eachother is stupid. Lets just say you would not hit your buddy, but it should make things harder.
    The best armies in the world in their era were the best because of the fact that they understood how to do exactly what you are claiming cannot happen, fighting in close proximity to one and other. They used that proximity to augment each other, not hinder each other. The romans took 75k man armies into central Europe and defeated armies of several hundred thousand strong, whose best tactic was "spread out and charge". Many of the Chinese, Japanese, and Korean combat forms you see people practicing today are derived from old school military where it was well understood that if one person knew how to move like this, it wasn't that big a deal, but if a 100k soldier army all knew how to move in unison in close proximity to one and other it was a force to be reckoned with.

Five guys may not even know each other or never met, but if they were trained in the same art, they can be within a foot of each other, and the only people who get to taste their steel are those who were foolish enough to attack them.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    ddo =/= pnp

ddo is an mmo it can not include all the rules of pnp and stay fun, trying to do so would be a stupid move by the dev team.
    no doubt

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast