Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Damaged Economy

You guys really need to learn that you can't rely on a game's economy. They always fail. Blow yer loot and move on, hoarding pixels is only ever gonna end in tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Firepants View Post
    You guys really need to learn that you can't rely on a game's economy. They always fail. Blow yer loot and move on, hoarding pixels is only ever gonna end in tears.
    Just a thought but watching the news and looking at current events, I'd say that all economies real or made up always fail without constant and sometimes massive intervention by the powers that be whether that is the company with an mmo or governments in real life.

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default Gimmie your candy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Firepants View Post
    I go wild sometimes and gobble up Candy Canes and Boxed Chocolates from the AH and randomly send them to people in Who's On just to blow plat. It's only a game. Yes my feathers were ruffled last week, because I blew all my plat and none of my AH stuff sold due to the dupers. I couldn't buy my Heals, Raise, and Res scrolls for the week. I was mad for 4 hours ish. Started playing the game when I got home that Monday night and had a blast and got over it.

Please OP don't let this bother you for too long. It's not worth it. If it helps and you're on Sarlona I can send candy.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by offinthewoods View Post
    I have been playing DDO for 8 years on and off. Once I learned that the latest exploit was creating an influx of false items into the game, I took all my items off the AH and ASAH and logged in periodically (thinking a rollback was the only reasonable action). I waited patiently and several days passed. A warning was posted on login. Several more days passed. Finally, a fix was promoted, and the banning began with no rollback.

I have spent the last several days looking at both the AH and ASAH only to see the duped items continue to appear. Now their prices are rising. I spent years, literally, accumulating character wealth in pp, scales, essences and more recently Astral Shards (basically real money). This vast accumulation of wealth has suddenly become devalued, but my true frustration lies in that fact that people continue to be able to profit from that last bug.

To put it in real world terms, people have used 3D printers to create warehouses full of Lamborghini's and Maserati's. To confuse the law, they have traded and mailed and dispersed these goods to their know aliases thereby obfuscating the trail. They are now selling these openly for what amounts to real world cash (Astral Shards).

Since there was no rollback, these items which can be easily warehoused will continue to appear, offsetting the hard work that I, like many others in a similar boat, have labored on.

Nimsie of Sarlona
    That stuff was all overpriced anyways.

Flood of goods = lower prices = newbs have a chance to catch up.

Shrinking the gap is good.

More Greensteel and Dragonscale armors is good.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kierg10 View Post
    TBH U19 and the supreme power of easy to get loot gen items hurt the economy in game a lot more than any exploit could........
    this, this and only this.

but ofc ppl dont wanna see it because they prefer to applaud themselves for the amount of stuff in their ing bags and amount of money in the inventory.

Loulani (17 Druid, 2 Monk, 1 Artificer): a healer who cc's (70 Evocation DC) and does traps (110 Disable Device, 107 Search)

As with the real life economy you should always try to diversify. Dont put all your eggs in one basket, as its often so elegantly put. In DDO that means if you feel you have too much platinum and need to start buying/gathering items then its smart to focus on items with long term viability. Medium Eberron Shards for 20% 6 hour pots will always be sought after. GS ingredients will always be sought after (even though there is an overflow at the moment of certain ingredients) as long as the items are ML10-12. Certain Augments will be sought after (Feather Fall, Deathblock, Heavy Fort, PRR, etc). Low ML +3 DC Necro/Enhanc/Evoc items, +4s and +5s also. Masterwork +6 stat items (ML9). Rare Paralyzers ML8-10 (Heavy Repeaters, Handwraps, same for Banishers, Disruptors and Smiters. In general any powerful item that would be useful for a TR cycle is worth it.

The problem with Dragon Scales is they have a very narrow field of use. I would never invest in stacks upon stacks of Flawless Reds or Greens.

I would also shy away from stockpiling ML 24 EE items, or ML28 EE items. Simply because Turbine has let us know that their goal is for a lvl 30 endgame. Therefore the ML20-28s will be only intermediary items used until we get to the real cap.

Right now I would probably try to stockpile Greater Essences as a rework of the Cannith crafting is long overdue and I would expect a price increase once that comes along.
    Member and owner of "The Mad Midgets" of Khyber.
    Characters; Skrangle, Eileenia, Thyrantraxus, Clonkstar, Eilert, Nidvisa, Sellyse, Lobotobias, Crimsoneye, Whimpsy, Meeep, Maszter, Andromansis etc

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    The economy will eventually stabilize as either the items are consumed, deleted by Turbine, or are lost from those who eventually quit the game.
    Yes, eventually there will be equilibrium, but the difference of wealth between dupers and non-dupers will never be fixed (the dupers got hundreds of times richer in several days, and I very doubt that more than 1% of duped matts/items/craft_lvls/etc will be fixed).

Quote Originally Posted by TheRobai View Post
    Yes, eventually there will be equilibrium, but the difference of wealth between dupers and non-dupers will never be fixed (the dupers got hundreds of times richer in several days, and I very doubt that more than 1% of duped matts/items/craft_lvls/etc will be fixed).
    oh, the honest ones buying stacks of scales only to sell them more expensive later are forgotten again or they dont profit from it?

with extreme prejudice on roll i even think this group will profit from it most

and actually it was high demand for cheap dupped ingredients which ruined "the economy" ...no damage is done by ingredients in bags catching dust

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRobai View Post
    Eventually yes. In the meantime, duped goods are just spreading around. Someone traded a fat stack of duped globes for a red dragon shard yesterday.

More reason to make Dragon runs. Suck up all the dupers goods!

Community Member
    still fighting the unending armies of shavarath

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    This isn't a tycoon game. Maybe for you and some others it is all about the economy, but most of us play for character progression...
    For many players, it IS a tycoon game. The evidence of that is in this thread.

Yes, cyber loot and economy is totally fake, and means absolutely nothing in the real word. But the economy is a mini-game within ddo, and exists like any other of several mini-games, like cannith crafting, loot acquisition and management, character planning, etc...pretty much anything you do when you're not questing.

You may play to progress your character, that's how you have fun. But don't discount others because they play different mini-games with different goals to have fun.

These recent events have tarnished the fun for many. And this is the real problem behind the duping exploit issue.

...J
    Thelanis: HoeLee, Rasminder, Cerinah, Arlinah, Shrenn, Rowkhan, Paladonis - Jakburton's Porkchop Express (now hiring)

Sarlona: Aingell of Death, KimberLee, Soullaris the Divine, Bendyr - The Order of Cygnus

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Afaik that vendor is gone from the game for now, which imho is for the best.
    Just verified that the vendor is still present on Khyber.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 10-18-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Well, while the duping was good for the have-nots on the AH for a little while, I have noticed that some of the crazy, "in-your-dreams" asking prices are coming back to Sarlona.

Exploiters gonna exploit.
    "Why is stuff so hard?" - William Murderface

Companies train thier customers how to act.

Turbine has trained it's player base to exploit early and exploit often.

Everyone needs to remember it is a game only meant for entertainment. If you spend real life money, accept it as the cost of entertainment. If you get to a point that you are spending more money then you can realisticly afford, you have the problem. Not the game company.

Anyone that has played this game a decent amount of time knows exploits will exist. Players will use them. It will effect the in-game economy for a period of time. It will then correct itself until the next exploit comes around. And I assure you there will be a next one. If you can not get over this recent one, this isn't the game for you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234