Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The Demise of Barbarians is Greatly Exaggerated

I have been having a great time running epic elites on my barbarian. The character is a two weapon fighting 12 barbarian 4 favored soul 4 rogue. It hits like a truck, has highish saves with evasion, high prr and dodge, self healing through ameliorating strike and silver flame pots if needed. These fighter mulitclass builds are most definitely overrated.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    I have been having a great time running epic elites on my barbarian. The character is a two weapon fighting 12 barbarian 4 favored soul 4 rogue. It hits like a truck, has highish saves with evasion, high prr and dodge, self healing through ameliorating strike and silver flame pots if needed. These fighter mulitclass builds are most definitely overrated.
    Gratz on reaching 10K+ posts... what kind of build is needed for that.

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    Build that includes furypost.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Build that includes furypost.
    Frenzied and Death Frenzied Typing ftw.

I have been having a great time running epic elites on my barbarian. The character is a two weapon fighting 12 barbarian 4 favored soul 4 rogue.
    Most complaints are probably from those trying to force their barbarians to be almost pure. Or to function as they did prior to the enhancement pass with little or no changes.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 10-16-2013 at 05:46 PM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    It didn't take 10000 posts for me to realize I really don't care about his opinion. Next he'll be crying barbs are OP and need to be nerfed.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Frenzied and Death Frenzied Typing ftw.
    Barbarian fast posting.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Barbarian fast posting.
    Did you fit Many Post and 10k Posts into the build, too? A kind of postbarian build?
    It's definitely an N-word.

eh, you are only 1/2 barb. FVS mixed with barb seems so dirty. if you think 12 barb is fun and deals a lot of damage, try pure.

what can it do that a fighter/monk something else can't?

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    what can it do that a fighter/monk something else can't?
    It does more damage I think. I like crit rage 2 - it is pretty nice with x4 weapons, etc. Barbs move fast with sprint boost and barb 10% speed. Ameliorating strike is great although a fighter could pick up 4 fvs levels but you get the picture. What I have heard on these forums is that barbarians are terrible and well behind fighters well I disagree.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    eh, you are only 1/2 barb. FVS mixed with barb seems so dirty. if you think 12 barb is fun and deals a lot of damage, try pure.
    Pure barbarian is too squishy just like pure fighter is lacking.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Did you fit Many Post and 10k Posts into the build, too? A kind of postbarian build?
    Wall of text cleave, greater wall of text and at least 3 Postbarian levels for Supreme wall of text. Comes with 3 uses per rest of "Forum Rage".
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

It does more damage I think. I like crit rage 2 - it is pretty nice with x4 weapons, etc. Barbs move fast with sprint boost and barb 10% speed. Ameliorating strike is great although a fighter could pick up 4 fvs levels but you get the picture. What I have heard on these forums is that barbarians are terrible and well behind fighters well I disagree.
    Be nice to see how it does in a DPS challege with the various fighter/monk builds. I know you can cocoon through madstone rage from madstone boots, well I can, can you do the same through barbarian rage?

Quote Originally Posted by bowwer View Post
    It didn't take 10000 posts for me to realize I really don't care about his opinion. Next he'll be crying barbs are OP and need to be nerfed.
    Meh madmatt is an ok bloke, having met him in game, though I have bumped head's with him on the forums a lot, he can at least take a joke sometimes even at his own expense, all those barb fast posting posts had me rotfl, literally. DDO would be dull without people like norg,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or even shade lol, though im not sure if shade can take a joke at his own expense. Crush it!!!!!!!
    Last edited by NaturalHazard; 10-16-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Community Member

I've really been enjoying my barbarian life so far. I'm playing a pure classed, Occult Slayer-focused, sword and board barbarian. I'm approaching level 13 and right now I feel extremely positive about the build: it's really fun to play and seems to strike a good balance between offense and defense. I'll have to see how he fares as I advance, but I've had a lot of fun up until this stage and feel positive going forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    Be nice to see how it does in a DPS challege with the various fighter/monk builds. I know you can cocoon through madstone rage from madstone boots, well I can, can you do the same through barbarian rage?
    Nope or at least I have not tried. Ameliorating strike with two weapon heals for about 400 a pop for me currently. 15 second cooldown and if I really need to I drink silver flame pots.

Community Member

I made a pure barbarian toon, a half orc that's level 12 now. Haven't played it in over a week. I'm entirely dependent on someone else to heal me and rather helpless without a healer. When I do have someone supporting me it's a blast to play Barb, the damage is great. Unfortunately everywhere you go it's BYoH. Yeah, I can buy a few hundred potions and chug them for 45 seconds, but it just takes too long.

I say they should sell potions by the keg and give barbarians an inherent keg stand feat. Either that or give us hats with little potions mounted left and right with a straw that goes into the mouth.

If I'd known it would be this bad I'd have tried something different. Maybe gone half-elf with some kind of dilettante like Cleric so I could use Cure Critical Wounds wands. :/

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

What you're saying here kind of contradicts you though. Fighter can actively use the healing spells the FvS levels gives you in addition to healing strike, and can multiclass with Monk, which means their Crits are basically the same as a Barb (mountain stance and Kensei)... 6 Monk gives Shadow Fade 25% incorp, also has Evasion like yours, and with the right build improved evasion, In addition a few Monk levels gives more movement speed. and even Abundant step.

4 FvS levels on a Barb just to get ONE ability that self heals for maybe 100 points every 15 seconds (and doesn't go off if you miss, like when the Mob moves away, which happens all the time, I know I have it on my Melee Soul)

4 Rogue gives nothing worth taking 2 extra rogue levels for (a little sneak attack), a Fighter 12 build could take 6 FvS levels and freely use Maximized Cure critical Wounds, and heal as well or better than a Pali (we've brought this up in many Pali threads already). 2 levels of Monk instead of Rogue = a big chunk of Dodge (Monk levels, Dodge feat and Mobility for free).

So you found a clunky round about way to self heal a barb, I admit it's useful and probably better than nothing but it comes at a sacrifice, that would work WAY better on a fighter with similar DPS.

In the end a Barb needing to take a 4 FvS splash for a 100-ish point heal every 15 seconds IF you don't miss, doesn't seem to indicate that Barbarians are doing just fine as your thread title suggests.
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

Quote Originally Posted by Adelair View Post
    I made a pure barbarian toon, a half orc that's level 12 now. Haven't played it in over a week. I'm entirely dependent on someone else to heal me and rather helpless without a healer. When I do have someone supporting me it's a blast to play Barb, the damage is great. Unfortunately everywhere you go it's BYoH. Yeah, I can buy a few hundred potions and chug them for 45 seconds, but it just takes too long.

I say they should sell potions by the keg and give barbarians an inherent keg stand feat. Either that or give us hats with little potions mounted left and right with a straw that goes into the mouth.

If I'd known it would be this bad I'd have tried something different. Maybe gone half-elf with some kind of dilettante like Cleric so I could use Cure Critical Wounds wands. :/
    well maybe you could get maddmatt to post his build so you can get some self healing tips? it kind of is non self healing unfriendly but.........ive seen plenty of paladins and rangers with full sp bars running around screaming for jheals so dont feel bad. Though I would suggest getting the SF favour if your going to be venturing a lot into epics with this character.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Nope or at least I have not tried. Ameliorating strike with two weapon heals for about 400 a pop for me currently. 15 second cooldown and if I really need to I drink silver flame pots.
    400 a pop how much healer gear are you using LOL...

So honest question to the Barb experts (I don't enjoy playing them try as I might) whats the best case scenario for Rage? in terms of stacked up CON and STR? Does the rage spell stack? I forget and in the interest of conversation I wont go wiki it.
    Last edited by IronClan; 10-16-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast