Default So I've been thinking about my wand....

...and I'm sorry to say, but it has absolutely no growth potential.

At low levels, it may be practical to use an offensive wand if you are lacking spell point gear, or if you aren't very good at conserving your spell points, but as one gets to higher levels, offensive wands become less useful. Buffing and healing wands are good for conserving spell points, but in the case of offensive wands, there aren't many stacking bonuses to wand DCs, while casting from spell points gives you lots of options: spellpower, metamagics, DC+ equipment, stat+ equipment, past-life feats... well, offensive wands quickly lose their value when they are simply outclassed by spells in every way.

In PnP, wands were useful when spells cast from your spellbook were limited to a number of uses per day. For those of you who don't know much about PnP, a wizard who had 4 level 1 spell slots was able to cast four spells from his/her available level 1 one spells. Now that spell slots only limit which spells you can cast, while spell points limit the number of times you can cast any spell you have memorized, an offensive wand isn't as useful as it used to be. Not only that, but one can buy or find bottles of blue stuff that makes the shrinking bar go right back up! (Okay, that's all the innuendo I have for this post...)

So, this is a problem. I am not sure, however, how to make wands useful except to make the artificer arcanotechnician capstone into a number of feats, each of which is available to anyone with a high wisdom/charisma/intelligence score, and allows one to use one item category with their high wis/cha to add to the DC of the item, in this case a wand.

I love my wand an whip it out daily.

A while back they added functionality to staves that used your casting stats for their spells. They could always make a few useful ones of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    A while back they added functionality to staves that used your casting stats for their spells. They could always make a few useful ones of those.
    Wait, whaa..? How does that work? And all staves?

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Hi,
    This is where we are now. Ride the walrus, or drown in its wake
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlsdown View Post
    Wait, whaa..? How does that work? And all staves?
    Same way the old arty capstone functioned (matter of fact, that's when they added that). And yes, all staves.
    Last edited by Scraap; 10-16-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Old Arti Capstone = Arcanotechnician Core20

I'd like to see some wand feats.

Or the Battlemage prestige tree, which plays off wand boosts.

Or just better wands across the levels..

And heck, while we're at it, we need a spell pass- last one was UD9, and it only added Arcane Elemental spells.

[*Not counting the additional Ranger spells with the addition of Druids in UD14, or Druid-only and Arti-only spells added with their inclusion.]
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    I love my wand an whip it out daily.
    +1 for honesty.
    Thelanis -- Wulverine + [Funkaholic, Funkatronic, Funkarific]