Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    So I just read Tolero's statement of how the deletion of duped items is being done. I don't have an issue with this. I think it's odd it's not just a database edit of some sort but ok whatever.
    Mind sharing a link to this please? I've looked around but can't find it anywhere... (my search-fu is weak...)
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    So I just read Tolero's statement of how the deletion of duped items is being done. I don't have an issue with this. I think it's odd it's not just a database edit of some sort but ok whatever.

The issue is if they haven't thought of what I'm about to mention the whole process is pointless. Right now if I delete an item from my inventory by dragging it out and destroying it, I can then go to any vendor and find it in the buy back tab. If the team that is deleting duped items is deleting things in the same manner which sure seems to be the case, Exploiters will be able to just buy back their duped items. This makes the whole process a waste of time.

Don't make this a case of the exploit resolution having an exploit.
    My guess is that they're logging in to deal with astral shards obtained from the exploit. Which, if this is the case, I'm kind of thankful that turbine can't touch my real money without special supervision.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Mind sharing a link to this please? I've looked around but can't find it anywhere... (my search-fu is weak...)
    Towards the bottom of this page:
    https://www.ddo.com/en/forums/post_t...ker=devtracker

You will find this post:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...01#post5129901

Edit: I meant to link this post:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...e3#post5134953
    Last edited by Phoenix-daBard; 10-17-2013 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix-daBard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus
    How does that post say that they are manually logging in to characters and deleting items?

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero
    - Accounts that return from their break will have a significantly reduced inventory, as items are being removed from the characters with extreme prejudice.
    That gives absolutely no indication of their process of deciding what will be removed or how they will go about doing it, simply a statement that items are being removed.
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galeria View Post
    How does that post say that they are manually logging in to characters and deleting items?

That gives absolutely no indication of their process of deciding what will be removed or how they will go about doing it, simply a statement that items are being removed.
    Believe it or not, that's exactly what they are doing.

She replied to my thread here before locking the thread:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ormation/page3

I appreciate her comment but it raises further questions too (like OP)

Quote Originally Posted by Galeria View Post

Try this post:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...on#post5134953
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Default Charononus, please give me the real link...

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix-daBard View Post
    Thanx for the link, but I'm seriously hoping you're wrong about his source of info.

If your not wrong, my only response could be:
    Seriously Charononus?! What in ^that^ leads you to believe they're draggin' & droppin' things from inventories? I would think they're more likely using some dev magic eraser/item nuke button; though even that's just an another assumption as there is zero in Tolero's post to suggest what their method of carrying out the item removals are.

But I'm hoping that you (Phoenix) are wrong and that Mr. C will reply with the real source...
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Qmulate View Post
    Believe it or not, that's exactly what they are doing.

She replied to my thread here before locking the thread:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ormation/page3
    Even ^that^ says nothing beyond the fact that they have to access the characters, which seems obvious to me since they're working with characters inventories. It still says nothing to indicate how they're "lightening people's loads" so I still wonder where the assumption comes from that they only have the same option we do, which is drag, drop and confirm the delete. They're GMs, you really think thay can't just "poof" it away?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Even ^that^ says nothing beyond the fact that they have to access the characters, which seems obvious to me since they're working with characters inventories. It still says nothing to indicate how they're "lightening people's loads" so I still wonder where the assumption comes from that they only have the same option we do, which is drag, drop and confirm the delete. They're GMs, you really think thay can't just "poof" it away?
    It's not just that they have "access" to characters. They are actually loging in as them and running to their banks etc... The GM is playing AS the banned character.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they were simply dragging and destroying. Sure they could have a special tool to destroy items, but if they had good tools they wouldn't have to log into the characters in the first place. When you submit a ticket in-game the GM never says "ok log out of a second and let me log in", this is definitely out of the ordinary

When I made that thread, most people had the same reaction as you about the need for a login. Heck, I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself. Unfortunately Turbine has proved over and over that the simplest and logical way of doing things isn't their way.

Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

It's not just that they have "access" to characters. They are actually loging in as them and running to their banks etc... The GM is playing AS the banned character.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they were simply dragging and destroying.
    Are they logging in as the banned characters?!
    EXTREME PREJUDICE™ - by Turbine.

GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.

if they are logging in as the character, wouldn't it show up in guild? or are they wearing a cloak of invisibility?

Community Member

Exclamation The Easy way; the Hard way & the Turbine way

Quote Originally Posted by HernandoCortez View Post
    Are they logging in as the banned characters?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    if they are logging in as the character, wouldn't it show up in guild? or are they wearing a cloak of invisibility?
    Yes – that is exactly what is happening. SOMEONE is logging these characters in. I have been standing on my boat when a ‘banned’ char logs in. Yes, this character shows up as having logged in 2 days ago on the guild roster – half way through his 2 week ‘forced vacation’.

First, I am like wow, got that over turned? No response…

Hey, how did you get back online? No response…

Maybe dude is not getting Guild, try /tells instead – nothing, no response.

Try party invite… times out.

Jump around and emote the char and check Vent… nothing

Verify that MY chat is working with other guildies in /guild, /party and /tells & /replies

Now I am seriously concerned. Character has now been standing AT THE BANK for the better part of ten minutes… ***? Check to see if exploit is back, lose some collectables

Call account owner and ask what is up. Guy is at work and poos his pants that his account has been hacked because HE is certainly not the one on it. Contact in game GM about account hacking – nothing… Call Turbine, receive response that No, Turbine does not access accounts.

Confront Turbine & Tolero changes the message to yes they are accessing accounts directly.

Years ago I had my account deliberately accessed by Turbine with my permission and full knowledge: the hoops I had to go through for this in order to fix my character leaves me with SERIOUS account security & accountability issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    It does, I have heard from many others that entire stables of a banned players toons have show up on the logged in list during their ban. Now this is hearsay but from trusted sources. My own guild is quite small and none of us duped / were banned.

It would appear that they are going through ALL the characters on the account not just the one(s) involved in duping.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD20001 View Post
    Yes – that is exactly what is happening. SOMEONE is logging these characters in. I have been standing on my boat when a ‘banned’ char logs in. Yes, this character shows up as having logged in 2 days ago on the guild roster – half way through his 2 week ‘forced vacation’.

First, I am like wow, got that over turned? No response…

Hey, how did you get back online? No response…

Maybe dude is not getting Guild, try /tells instead – nothing, no response.

Try party invite… times out.

Jump around and emote the char and check Vent… nothing

Verify that MY chat is working with other guildies in /guild, /party and /tells & /replies

Now I am seriously concerned. Character has now been standing AT THE BANK for the better part of ten minutes… ***? Check to see if exploit is back, lose some collectables

Call account owner and ask what is up. Guy is at work and poos his pants that his account has been hacked because HE is certainly not the one on it. Contact in game GM about account hacking – nothing… Call Turbine, receive response that No, Turbine does not access accounts.

Confront Turbine & Tolero changes the message to yes they are accessing accounts directly.

Years ago I had my account deliberately accessed by Turbine with my permission and full knowledge: the hoops I had to go through for this in order to fix my character leaves me with SERIOUS account security & accountability issues.
    Pretty much this, I've now heard this exact story from enough people that I believe it fully especially with the post that Tolero made. Now they could have some magic delete tool but if they have that it would make sense for them to not need to log in to use it. The fact that they need to log in is odd. Every other game when the devs fix something the devs are invisible as they do it. They don't need to log on to the toon. This means that something is fishy at Turbine and drag and drop deletion becomes very plausible and imo probable. If they are doing it this way it likely means that they didn't take into account the buy back ability which was the point and the main question of my op. I don't want them drag and dropping because then it's all pointless. I don't agree with all the forum paladins that this was the worst thing to ever happen but if they are going to enforce things they need to do it right. To me the signs all point to it not being done right.

They are TRing all the cheaters into Drow paladins

So it again raises the question of "How do they know which items you duped and which you bought off the AH/SAH?"

I know many people who spent hundreds of shards getting large stacks of cheap items. If the devs are going to delete these items, the players should be entitled to a refund of their shards. Otherwise, this is the same as stealing.

It seems to me that there exists another issue involving the GMs having access to the players' TP and CC info while logged in as the Player. I can't exactly put my finger on what that issue is at the moment, since my tinfoil hat is out for drycleaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    So it again raises the question of "How do they know which items you duped and which you bought off the AH/SAH?"

I know many people who spent hundreds of shards getting large stacks of cheap items. If the devs are going to delete these items, the players should be entitled to a refund of their shards. Otherwise, this is the same as stealing.
    No it would be like buying items that you know area stolen and you would be just as guilty as the thief and should lose your cash.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    It seems to me that there exists another issue involving the GMs having access to the players' TP and CC info while logged in as the Player. I can't exactly put my finger on what that issue is at the moment, since my tinfoil hat is out for drycleaning.
    I dont think they can access your CC information but if they are logged into your character they would have access to your TP but you get a email when you spend tp confirming dellivery and you would be able to show you were banned during that time so it would be easy to prove. I think the whole thing is really a none issue they are deleting items the best they are able. I am a little dismayed this is the way they had to do them and they were able to do it via the database directly

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they were simply dragging and destroying. Sure they could have a special tool to destroy items, but if they had good tools they wouldn't have to log into the characters in the first place. When you submit a ticket in-game the GM never says "ok log out of a second and let me log in", this is definitely out of the ordinary

When I made that thread, most people had the same reaction as you about the need for a login. Heck, I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself. Unfortunately Turbine has proved over and over that the simplest and logical way of doing things isn't their way.
    And the devs have pointed out that their scripts don't touch TR caches and bags. How many offenders ate a heart to get the contraband into a TR cache? How many wouldn't have ingredients in a bag? In addition Tolero stated that they were doing this on a case by case basis since they didn't want a repeat of the Mabar incident.

In the end I would hate to be stuck going through this whole mess and the GMs have my sympathy.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast