Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Community Member JJtheDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    58

    Default Starting a Arcane archer Need help !

    So I just started a Arcane archer lvl 5 right now. And Just wondering of some items or suggestion for low to mid level items (bows) especially. I have been trying to farm that freaking greatbow of the scrag and im about to give up getting it is to hard to get for how long I might use it.
    Bellringer 7 fighter/5ranger 2 monk 2nd life
    Totooth SD 7 fighter 3rd life
    Auroseal 2nd life rogue dwarf

  2. #2
    I <3 DDO Pwesiela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Somewhere...I think...
    Posts
    2,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JJtheDark View Post
    So I just started a Arcane archer lvl 5 right now. And Just wondering of some items or suggestion for low to mid level items (bows) especially. I have been trying to farm that freaking greatbow of the scrag and im about to give up getting it is to hard to get for how long I might use it.
    At level 6 you can start using the Silver Longbow. That's pretty much all you'll want to use until you get access to greensteel/Bow of Sinew.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Just run any quest (except Guard Duty) in 3BC three times on normal, and you will guarantee a Greatbow on the 3rd end reward list. The Legend of Two-Toed Tobias is quick and easy to get to for 3 completions.

    Aside from that, the Cannith challenge Elemental Longbow of Earth is a good bow from lvl 8 onwards.

    What is your planned build? I find arcane archer somewhat lacking and much prefer a rogue or monk splash (or both) - focusing on sneak attack damage using DWS Sniper Shot (lvl 6 core). My current archer build is at 3 rogue / 6 ranger / 6 monk. Most of his damage comes from 10k Stars / Manyshot and sneak attacks when they are on cooldown. Obviously need to pump Wis for 10K stars, so other stats suffer a bit - but with 7d6 sneak attack damage for 4 out of every 6 seconds, an extra couple of points in strength damage aren't missed.

    AA tree offers very little apart from conjure arrows and the Morphing / Metalline toggles - the fact that the core ability weapon bonuses don't even stack with the weapon itself is just lame. DWS on the other hand offers Heavy Draw (power attack for bows) and nice auto-proc effects like Thrill of the Hunt and Killer.

  4. #4
    Community Member bsquishwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,967

    Default

    Serpent Branch from Deleras deals poison damage, and has two red augments.


    Bow of the Silver Flame is an Undead killer, though you get it at a level when undead start becoming sparse. But it has blunted ammo for the skellys.

  5. #5
    Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    katz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    here's your shopping list:

    silver longbow

    bow of sinew

    pinion

    the official home of LOLWUT

    LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

  6. #6
    Community Member JJtheDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    here's your shopping list:

    silver longbow

    bow of sinew

    pinion
    Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Serpent Branch from Deleras deals poison damage, and has two red augments.


    Bow of the Silver Flame is an Undead killer, though you get it at a level when undead start becoming sparse. But it has blunted ammo for the skellys.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockHeavy View Post
    Just run any quest (except Guard Duty) in 3BC three times on normal, and you will guarantee a Greatbow on the 3rd end reward list. The Legend of Two-Toed Tobias is quick and easy to get to for 3 completions.

    Aside from that, the Cannith challenge Elemental Longbow of Earth is a good bow from lvl 8 onwards.

    What is your planned build? I find arcane archer somewhat lacking and much prefer a rogue or monk splash (or both) - focusing on sneak attack damage using DWS Sniper Shot (lvl 6 core). My current archer build is at 3 rogue / 6 ranger / 6 monk. Most of his damage comes from 10k Stars / Manyshot and sneak attacks when they are on cooldown. Obviously need to pump Wis for 10K stars, so other stats suffer a bit - but with 7d6 sneak attack damage for 4 out of every 6 seconds, an extra couple of points in strength damage aren't missed.

    AA tree offers very little apart from conjure arrows and the Morphing / Metalline toggles - the fact that the core ability weapon bonuses don't even stack with the weapon itself is just lame. DWS on the other hand offers Heavy Draw (power attack for bows) and nice auto-proc effects like Thrill of the Hunt and Killer.
    Thank you all! very nice to get some help for my build with arcane archer i was thinking of going straight 20 but i have heard it does lack so I have considered splash of monk but dont know where to begin with that any suggestions would be appreciated
    Bellringer 7 fighter/5ranger 2 monk 2nd life
    Totooth SD 7 fighter 3rd life
    Auroseal 2nd life rogue dwarf

  7. #7
    Community Member JJtheDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Serpent Branch from Deleras deals poison damage, and has two red augments.


    Bow of the Silver Flame is an Undead killer, though you get it at a level when undead start becoming sparse. But it has blunted ammo for the skellys.
    coming back into the game what exactly do you do with the red augment slots ?
    Bellringer 7 fighter/5ranger 2 monk 2nd life
    Totooth SD 7 fighter 3rd life
    Auroseal 2nd life rogue dwarf

  8. #8
    Community Member JJtheDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    58

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Serpent Branch from Deleras deals poison damage, and has two red augments.


    Bow of the Silver Flame is an Undead killer, though you get it at a level when undead start becoming sparse. But it has blunted ammo for the skellys.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockHeavy View Post
    Just run any quest (except Guard Duty) in 3BC three times on normal, and you will guarantee a Greatbow on the 3rd end reward list. The Legend of Two-Toed Tobias is quick and easy to get to for 3 completions.

    Aside from that, the Cannith challenge Elemental Longbow of Earth is a good bow from lvl 8 onwards.

    What is your planned build? I find arcane archer somewhat lacking and much prefer a rogue or monk splash (or both) - focusing on sneak attack damage using DWS Sniper Shot (lvl 6 core). My current archer build is at 3 rogue / 6 ranger / 6 monk. Most of his damage comes from 10k Stars / Manyshot and sneak attacks when they are on cooldown. Obviously need to pump Wis for 10K stars, so other stats suffer a bit - but with 7d6 sneak attack damage for 4 out of every 6 seconds, an extra couple of points in strength damage aren't missed.

    AA tree offers very little apart from conjure arrows and the Morphing / Metalline toggles - the fact that the core ability weapon bonuses don't even stack with the weapon itself is just lame. DWS on the other hand offers Heavy Draw (power attack for bows) and nice auto-proc effects like Thrill of the Hunt and Killer.
    your build is impressive no doubt! any pointers would be appreciated like really very nice build i want it :P
    Bellringer 7 fighter/5ranger 2 monk 2nd life
    Totooth SD 7 fighter 3rd life
    Auroseal 2nd life rogue dwarf

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,020

    Default

    Also don't forget a plain ol' +X Screaming of Bleed, Cannith crafted with a red augment slot. Should be super easy to find, they're all low-level shards to craft.

    As for builds, 6 Rgr/6 Monk is the core of any Monkcher build, which greatly outpaces anyone in terms of ROF. The last 8 levels are flexible: 8 Fighter gets you Kensei and some extra feats, but you'll have no self-healing. 8 more Rgr gives you some flexible self-heals and Improved Precise Shot as an autogrant; 8 Cleric works as well for buffs and self heals. Most of your AP is going to be spent in AA and DWS, though, so don't count on spending a lot of points in Monk or your splash class.

    Quote Originally Posted by JJtheDark View Post
    coming back into the game what exactly do you do with the red augment slots ?
    You stick red augments in them, for a small bit of elemental damage added to each attack, or a boost to spellpower for caster classes.

  10. #10
    Community Member Lonnbeimnech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    You stick red augments in them, for a small bit of elemental damage added to each attack, or a boost to spellpower for caster classes.
    Such as devotion, so your cure____ wounds spells hit a bit better.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    63

    Default

    I'm sure there are many on here that could (and have) devised better archer builds - mine is just really picking up on the synergy of the various class trees that provide sneak attack with the DWS lvl 6 core ability of Sniper Shot.

    So far I have gone lvl 1 rogue (trap skills & UMD), 2-7 ranger (all the free feats up to manyshot), 8-13 monk, 14 & 15 rogue.
    Halfling - for dragonmark and yet more sneak attack fun
    Starting stats (32 point):
    Str 12
    Dex 17 - +2 tome required for Improved precise shot at level 18
    Con 14
    Int 10
    Wis 16 - all level ups here
    Cha 8

    Feats:
    1 - Dragonmark of healing (this is a solo toon and this feat makes a world of difference)
    3 - Point blank shot
    6 - Precision
    8 (Monk bonus) - Zen Archery
    9 - Dodge
    9 (Monk bonus) - Lightning Reflexes (make evasion count more)
    12 - Imp. Critical Ranged
    13 (Monk Bonus) - 10k Stars
    15 - Master of Forms

    Runs in Ocean stance for the +3 wisdom and passive Ki boost.

    You have enough skill points to max Concentration, Search, Spot, & Disable Device with any left over to UMD.

    Enhancements so far (half way to lvl 16, so 58 points):
    34 points in DWS for 3 sneak attack dice, Heavy Draw and Extra Favoured Enemy (+6 damage to all favoured enemies - great for undead)
    8 points in Henshin Mystic for Contemplation (more passive Ki - needed for 10k Stars as ranged attacks don't generate Ki)
    13 points in Halfling for Greater dragonmark and 2 more sneak attack dice
    3 points in AA for conjure arrows

    Plan is to go 7 rog / 6 ran / 7 monk or 5/6/9 - not sure yet, adding IPS at lvl 18 and more sneak attack enhancements from Assassin and Ninja spy trees. I will reset the 8 points in Henshin once I no longer need that extra passive ki to keep 10k stars charged up, and re-allocate those to AA tree to get metalline toggle (core 3).

  12. #12
    I <3 DDO Pwesiela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Somewhere...I think...
    Posts
    2,515

    Default

    Check the link in the sig for starting off AA advice from me.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload