Default Proactive communication is awesome.

It really is. I mean, if all I get is reactive communication, I guess I'll take it. Like a man dying of thirst drinking spider blood or his own fluids while lost in the desert. It's not sweet nourishing water, but it'll keep me alive.

Proactively communicate Turbine! PLEASE!

Sending out the weekly DDO newsletter and screenshot of the week just isn't cutting it for me. It contains so very little of value you might as well not bother. Glin had been doing ok for a while but that really tapered off until people started hassling him about it. Everything lately has been reactionary. Ugh.

That is all.

oh man, now if they do communicate proactively we will all have to wonder if it was actually a reaction to this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    oh man, now if they do communicate proactively we will all have to wonder if it was actually a reaction to this thread...

Hero

I agree. Lamannia has been out for a week and nothing aside from the release notes has been mentioned despite all the discussion.

They close at least twice as many threads than they respond to.
    The only replies you get are to people who are clearly kissing butt. Or it's a cake.

Hey Turbine, maybe you should try selling us more things. While not much is worth purchasing lately, it is the only time we really have any clue as to what you are up to. (IE: reincarnation, just look at all then new woods that will be available! cha-ching!)

But hey, I've gotten 2 surveys to fill out in my email! Maybe they prefer none direct contact with players. That way they can discreetly ignore what they don't want to hear.

/signed and amen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    I agree. Lamannia has been out for a week and nothing aside from the release notes has been mentioned despite all the discussion.

They close at least twice as many threads than they respond to.
    The only replies you get are to people who are clearly kissing butt. Or it's a cake.

Hey Turbine, maybe you should try selling us more things. While not much is worth purchasing lately, it is the only time we really have any clue as to what you are up to. (IE: reincarnation, just look at all then new woods that will be available! cha-ching!)

But hey, I've gotten 2 surveys to fill out in my email! Maybe they prefer none direct contact with players. That way they can discreetly ignore what they don't want to hear.
    But... The cake is a lie.

Oh, I see what you did there...

well played, sir. Well played.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    I lol'd. Literally.

Only thing that could have been better would be the guy from the Ancient Aliens show. :-)

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

*shrug*

It could be worse, you could have to have to go spamming the LoTRO forums ( and earn a 5 day vacation along the way ) to get a reaction ( any reaction ) from somebody with power.

Trust this Frog, it could be a lot worse. At least we have a regular reaction with the amount of thread closed. Toward the end in Europe we didn't even have that, we had to work for it to get any twitching from somebody in charge.

Now on the whole I agree, Rowan seemed to show lots of promise, but since he showed up nothing, no posts.
    Cordovan and Tolero are just there to lock threads, make comments about locked threads and just robot manage the forums ( and the screenies of the week post for what it's worth) . They are not working on the relationship part of their job title, especially towards customer.
    MajMal seems to have disappeared in Turbine's Limbos... Even if his Kobold Team ( Squeak and Kookie ) makes some effort to do things in L-Space sub forum.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

I have to say that over the past couple years the communication here has gotten even worse.

In my experiences in online gaming there are pretty much two categories you can throw devs into. 1. Passion projects 2. Jobs

Right before the "expansion" there were a lot of Dev posts, but I think they were probably required to post, to increase hype in the community. Now, next to none. I do not count the newsletter nor the screenshot of the week communication. I do not read those, they are boring for the most part. imo

Is it really that hard to read the forums of a game that you are helping produce to respond to the community? 100s of people here put their time and effort into posts and get totally ignored, if even read. There are other forums that you see the dev team responding during their free time and/or weekends to respond to the community. This is the difference between passion projects and people only caring that they do their job.

The frustration I currently feel about communication and the future of this game just makes me Just feels like we went from a Dev team sitting around drinking dew and eating pizzas to guys in suits talking about how to spend the least to make the most.
    Ainur Wer'lak Thelanis

There have been many dev changes over the years. I think switching out Cordovan and Tolero with new reps would be a great start. I see mod crossposting to every other Turbine game except this one. No offence to the current mods, but it seems the years have left a bitter taste in their mouths.

IMO we are long overdue with an injection of enthusiasm from the Turbine team in the General Discussion. Glin, Vargouille , and QuartermasterX seem involved with their discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxgolg View Post
    IMO we are long overdue with an injection of enthusiasm from the Turbine team in the General Discussion. Glin, Vargouille , and QuartermasterX seem involved with their discussions.
    We don't even know WHO the devs are currently, since they spend such little amount of time talking with the community. IMO this is borderline ridiculous.
    Ainur Wer'lak Thelanis

/signed

Turbine, you want me to believe your game here is more than just maintenance mode with a few bells and whistles thrown at us in order to get a bit of cashflow every few months? COMMUNICATE. A lack of communication leads to me thinking this game is dead or dying and I don't spend money on a sinking ship. You want my money? Communication is the key. All your cash shop widgets may be a nice band-aid solution, but for myself and others I'm sure, confidence in the company and the game gets the wallet open faster.
    Last edited by redspecter23; 10-16-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

I agree with this. 10 posts in the last 3 work days from the dev/relations team? Meh. Things certainly seem to have taken a big turn to the worse towards an "us vs. them" mentality.

Community Member

Exclamation Bad Taste all round

Quote Originally Posted by Luxgolg View Post
    No offence to the current mods, but it seems the years have left a bitter taste in their mouths.
    Only fitting given the terrible taste they have left in ours…

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    It really is. I mean, if all I get is reactive communication, I guess I'll take it. Like a man dying of thirst drinking spider blood or his own fluids while lost in the desert. It's not sweet nourishing water, but it'll keep me alive.

Proactively communicate Turbine! PLEASE!

Sending out the weekly DDO newsletter and screenshot of the week just isn't cutting it for me. It contains so very little of value you might as well not bother. Glin had been doing ok for a while but that really tapered off until people started hassling him about it. Everything lately has been reactionary. Ugh.

That is all.
    I'd rather they don't as every word they spill out to early is a promise they'll break when things go live.

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

I'm surprised we haven't sees the "Well when they do post, they get a deluge of awful harassment!" excuse post. I can understand that to an extent, but it seems to me that they pop up to communicate so rarely that people completely inundate them with comments, both positive and negative as soon as we see them. Everyone scrambles to post as much as possible as quickly as possible just because it's been so long since there has been any word. I'm sure it can be a little intimidating. When there is more communication, those ultra-angry rabble-rousers will run out of steam pretty quickly after they shoot their proverbial load of angry, leaving (relatively) well-reasoned and (marginally) calmer posts and suggestions.

It's like the little Dutch boy holding his finger in the dyke: at first when he removes his finger it's just a torrential flood of doom! But as the level of water goes down (through being released) the pressure lessens and the devastating flood becomes something much more manageable.

Maybe they need to hire someone with gonads, that doesn't mind going back and forth all day long. Someone like Chai. lol

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    I'd rather they don't as every word they spill out to early is a promise they'll break when things go live.
    As nice as communication about upcoming things would be, I'm more upset about the lack of communication on things that have already been released without a word.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    As nice as communication about upcoming things would be, I'm more upset about the lack of communication on things that have already been released without a word.
    I should have place a wink besides my comment as for me the sarcasm was dripping off it. <grins>

I'd rather have them tell each and every change they make, if not up front then at least in the release notes.
    And yes, people are rightly concerned about stealth nerfs hitting live.
    (Maybe I should place a wink here as well, if only it was to light things up.)

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.