Lightbulb The DDO Loot Value Persistance Project

Okay, the name might not be golden, but it's the first thing that came to mind.

Welcome to the Project!
    The goal of this project is to rework low level items [low level in this context meaning 'not end-game'] so that they either have distinct relevancy at their level, or that they have unique- but balanced- features that allow them to be considered for end-game use (Example: Pre-UD14 Chattering Ring and Icy Raiment, which gave unique (+3, +4 dodge) AC bonuses).

This is a personal project, and I am fully intending to do a pass on every chain [though for now, I'm ignoring named items which only drop in quests, rather than from end rewards- if this project ever accomplishes anything, I can always turn to them after]. I will also not be touching runearms.

Despite being a personal project, I will be paying full attention to any input and suggestions (which are welcomed!) - and yes, even criticisms of an item, the project as a whole, or of my dazzling fashion sense: As long as the criticism is done respectfully.
    Any non-respectful or inciting comments will be entirely ignored, trolling or not.

Let's Start!

General Changes to item effects
    Finesse, Invisibility, and Orb bonuses to resistances while blocking were all barely functional when they came out (note how long ago that was for Finesse and Invisibility).
    While there may have been some circumstances where a +2 to the affected traits was functional in the past, nowadays its definitely not- especially with MLs of 8+

Here are some ways to make them relevant:

Finesse: (Current) +2 enhancement bonus to Dex [as per any stat item], Dex mod ToHit (Changed to) +1 insight bonus to dex, Dex mod ToHit

Invisibility: (Current) +2 deflection bonus to AC [as per any protection item], Invisibility 1/day CL3 (Changed to) +2 circumstance bonus to AC, Invisibility 1/day CL 3

Orb bonus to Resistances [while actively blocking]: (Current) Equal to Orb bonus (eg, +5 Orb = +5 to resists when blocking) (Changed to) 3*Orb bonus (eg, +5 Orb = +15 to resists while blocking)

New Augments
    These new [RED] augments can be crafted at the Stone of Change utilizing 10x of a specific Elemental Essence.

Elemental Essence of the Inferno: ML12, Adds Fire Damage Flag. Requires 10x Elemental Essence Fragment: Fire

Elemental Essence of Permafrost: ML12, Adds Cold Damage Flag. Requires 10x Elemental Essence Fragment: Cold

Elemental Essence of Storms: ML12, Adds Electric Damage Flag. Requires 10x Elemental Essence Fragment: Air

Elemental Essence of the Tempest: ML12, Adds Sonic Damage Flag. Requires 10x Elemental Essence Fragment: Air

Elemental Essence of Corrosion: ML12, Adds Acid Damage Flag. Requires 10x Elemental Essence Fragment: Earth

Elemental Essence of Shadows: ML12, Adds Negative Damage Flag. Requires 10x Elemental Essence Fragment: Negative

Cannith-Crafted Elemental Essence: ML16, Adds Light Damage Flag. Requires 10x Artificial Elemental Essence Fragment

Elemental Essence of Sandstorm: ML 20, Adds Slashing Damage Flag. Requires 10x Elemental Essence Fragment: Earth, 10x Elemental Essence Fragment: Air
    Last edited by Dagolar; 10-17-2013 at 06:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Low Level Quest Chains

Delara's Graveyard

Blacklace Blindfold:

Current: Goggles: ML7, Listen +7, Spot +7, Dexterity -1, Colorless Augment Slot

Modifications:: (Add) Ignore Concealment 10%: This item allows the wearer to ignore 10% of an enemy's concealment.

Notes: This item is well suited, but unimpressive for its level- offering two noncritical skills and a colorless augment. In addition, The curse seems a bit over the top, other than for flavor. Unfortunately, even if you use listen and spot, it's really just useful for two levels. Lets make it more interesting.

Boneshard Flute
    Current: +2 Club: ML6, +.25[W], Command Undead 3/day, Perform +7, Orange Augment Slot, Red Augment Slot

Modifications: (Add) Dance of the Dead: If you have a Skeleton Knight companion, this item increases your effective level for determining its stats by 1.

Notes: Colored Augment slots are already a good way of perpetuating an item's value across multiple levels. However, there's nothing really distinct about this item. So..

Carnifex

Current: +2 Greataxe: ML4, Keen, +1 Expanded Threat Range

Modifications: (Add) Red Augment Slot

Notes: Adjusted based on feedback (x2)

Delera's Vestment

Current: Robe: ML6, Armor Bonus +5, Charisma +4, Blue Augment Slot

Modifications: (Add) Coin Lord's Regalia: This robe gives a +3 unique bonus to Haggle within the boundaries of the city of Stormreach.

Notes: +4 Cha is good for the level, and the blue augment slot is nice. The AC bonus is passable. All in all, a very mundane item, with nothing ill or good to say about it- Yet!

RP Notes: This is a robe belonging to Delara IV, one of the Coin Lords you rescue from Hestess in the Lordsmarch quest 'Eyes of Stone'.

Devotion

Current: +3 Handwraps: ML6, Holy, Devotion +48, Req: Good or UMD 20, Red Augment Slot, BtCoE

Modifications: (Add) On Vorpal: Gain +2 temporary hit points and +2 temporary spell points for 10 seconds.

Notes: These just seemed too bland- especially given the dubiousness of a reasonably functional clonk at that low of a level.

Docent of the Tomb

Current: +4 Docent: ML6, Balance +7, Listen +7, Search +7, Spot +7, Colorless Augment Slot

Modifications: (Add) (Hidden Effect: Generates a weak, short-range light source.)

Notes: Now this is a nice item for the level, and can hold you for a few levels. I've no problems with it- but it lacks draw. We can fix that!

Golden Cartouche

Current: Necklace: ML7, Yellow Augment Slot with Intelligence +2, Use Magical Device +3

Modiications: (Change) Preslot-> Intelligence +4 (Fix) Leather Material -> Gold

Notes: As far as I know, UMD is still a hard one to get, and this is the lowest +3 you can find (with +5 being the competence bonus max thus far). Between that and the Yellow augment making it adjustable to your level, it's mostly fine- +2 at ML7 (in comparison to the +4 Cha of the ML6 Delara's Robe) is a bit harsh, even as an augment. And honestly, if people want to farm the chain for +4 augments, that's their deal.

Headman's Hood

Current: Helm: ML7, Fear 1/day, Intimidate +7, Green Augment Slot

Modifications: (Add) Chilling Aura: Nearby enemies take a -1 will save penalty versus Fear effects. This does not stack with the -2 penalty to Wisdom from a Ravager's Aura of Fear.
    (Add) Intimidating Presence: So long as you are above 80% health, you gain a +2 morale bonus to your intimidate checks.

Notes: Pretty blah for the level- the clicky is negligible, and the rest is really just adding a Green Augment slot. However, synergize in a -1 penalty to saves and it becomes quite a bit more interesting. I wasn't a big fan of like forces stacking, so I made the auras of fear exclusive, and the presence non-stacking with Heroism effects.

Hellfire Cloak

Current: Cloak: ML7, Fire Resistance 10, Yellow Augment Slot with Acid 10, Green Augment Slot with Sonic 10

Modifications: (Remove) Fire Resistance 10 (Add) Colorless Augment Slot with Fire 10

Notes: Resistance 10 is an utter joke by ML7, these days. 3 augments slots might be a bit much, but at least now it has some definitive value, not to mention some amazing ability to persist through levels.

Iron Manacles

Current: - Bracers: ML7, Protection +4, Colorless Augment Slot (Requires Chaotic Alignment or Use magic device of 20)

Modifications: (Remove) Protection +4 (Add) Spirit Ward: +10% Negative Energy Absorption, +3 Sacred bonus to Armor Class, +1 to saves versus Negative Energy spells

Notes: Remember when Manacles were good? Lets try and make them that way again- or at the very least, stop them from being awful.

Linen Handwraps

Current: Gloves: ML7, Strength +4, Dexterity -1, Proof Against Disease +6

Modifications: (Remove) Proof Against Disease +6 (Add) Lingering Filth: +1 to the DC of your Poison and Disease attacks and spells, Yellow Augment with Proof Against Disease +2

Notes: Yet another one in need of love- or at least a firm dusting out, these things are filthy! In fact, now I feel kind of ill..

Obsidian Dagger

Current: +3 Dagger: ML6, Adjusted Base Damage [2d3], +.25[W], Nullification +48, Purple Augment Slot, Red Augment Slot

Modifications: (Add) Ghostbane I

Notes: Intriguing item, which, with two damage slots, can make it a somewhat decent Assassin twink item. Still a bit lacking in impact for the level, and becomes outdated quickly. Lets play off the item's flavor text and give the rogues using the weapon a bit of love.

Rusted Shirt

Current: ML6 +3 Chain shirt: Blue Augment Slot with +2 CON

Modifications: (Add) Mobility, DR 3/-

Notes: Aptly named, isn't it? Lets work off of its 'High Quality Construction' a bit.

Serpentbranch

Current: +3 Longbow: ML6, +.25[W], +1d6 Poison damage, Proof Against Poison +6, Purple Augment Slot, Red Augment Slot

Modifications: (Add) Lingering Arrows: Arrows fired from this bow are especially difficult to remove. 3 seconds after being hit by an arrow fired from this bow, an enemy takes 1d3 bleeding damage.

[i]Notes:[i] A -purple- augment slot as part of two colored slots, bonus poison and base damage, and a flavor perk. A solid item all around. But, reading the flavor text, and wanting to make sure it stood out against rand gen items, I had to add one thing.

Sigil of Stormreach

Current: - Ring: ML7, Diplomacy +5, Green Augment Slot with +2 CHA

Modifications: (Change) Diplomacy +5->Diplomacy +7, Preslot Augment: +2Cha -> Augment: +1 Enhancement bonus to Diplomacy (Add) Haggle +7

Notes: Yet another item that falls short. Lets fix that.

Silverflame Hauberk

Current: +3 Half plate: ML6, Devotion +48 Blue Augment Slot, Colorless Augment Slot

Modifications: (Add) Light of the Flame: Evil creatures may find their natural defenses negated when in close proximity of this sacred relic. Your weapons are considered Good for the purposes of DR-breaking.

Notes: Half-plates need all the love they can get, after their years of neglect and dismissal. Lets start by improving this lackluster offering- while not adding any damage type [eg, Holy], having an armor grant a bonus to a weapon is a rare, and convenient effect that should see this armor hold to a lengthy- if situational- lifespan.

Skeleton Key

Current: - Trinket: ML7, Open Lock +7, Yellow Augment Slot

Modifications: (Add) After attempting to make an unlock check by any means, and failing at the roll, gain an immediate additional unlock check against the target with a +2 unique bonus to the check.

Notes: This item is the reason I decided to take up this project. For years, I've favored the modification above- now I offer it to you for consideration. Yes, this works with Knock.

Sparkstriker

Current:+3 Heavy pick: ML6, +.25W, Adamantine, Shocking Burst, Red Augment Slot

Modifications: (Add) Strike the Spark: Whenever you make a succesful shield bash while wielding Sparkstriker, your enemy is blinded for 1 second and your next attack with Sparkstriker deals +1d6 electric damage. This may not take effect more than once per 3 seconds.
    (Add) See the Spark: Whenever you make a vorpal strike with Sparkstriker, you gain a +5 insight bonus to Fire and Electric resistance. This can stack up to 3 times, with a stack being removed after 10 seconds.

Notes: This one is a fair bit better than Carnifex, but lacks a bit of impact. Lets give that OTHER Dwarven weapon line some love, shall we?

Switchblade Boots

Current: Boots: ML7, Bluff +10, Yellow Augment Slot

Modifications: (Add) Preslot: +2 Dexterity, Cutting Kick: Each attack you make while fighting Unarmed has a 5% chance to deal +1d6 slashing/piercing damage. This damage cannot affect creatures immune to sneak attacks, and is blocked by fortification as if the damage was from a sneak attack. This effect does not apply when fighting in animal form.

Notes: I was a fan of these boots some time ago, but simply adding a yellow augment slot doesn't QUITE make it suitable for the current loot system. Lets tweak it just a touch.

Trapsmith's Toolbelt

Current: Belt: ML7, Disable Device +7, Repair +7, Blue Augment Slot

Modification: (Change) ML7->ML6 (Add) Trapsmith's Toolbelt: You are always considered to have Thieves' Tools on hand. If no other Tools are in inventory, you are treated as having Masterwork Thieves Tools. Your Traps gain +1 to their DC when activated.

Notes: Between the blue augment slot on an accessory, and two potentially useful skills (now that repair affects spells), this item is well suited for its role. Still, it could use just the slightest touch of creativity.

Wighthide Armor

Current: +3 Hide armor: ML6, Blue Augment Slot with +2 STR

Modification: (Add) Wighthide: Up to 10 points of negative energy are absorbed from each negative energy attack targetting the wearer, repairing this armor for an equal amount. The wearer of this armor gains +2 to saves versus Energy Drain.
    (Add) Undead Disguise: Undead find the wearer a bit more difficult to distinguish from themselves, gaining -2 to their listen, spot, and attack checks toward the wearer.

Notes: First the rusted shirt, now the rotting flesh shirt. Remind me not to shop at the local clothing stores. Well, we can't fix the local fashion, but at least we can make it more functional.

Wrath of Siberys

Current: +3 Heavy steel shield: ML6, Blinding (Blinding Flash 3/day), Reflex Save +4, Lesser Heroism (+1 morale bonus to attacks/saves/skills), Purple Augment Slot

Modification: (Add) Light Reflection: +1 circumstance bonus to Reflex saves. 5% Light Absorption. Whenever a light spell is cast on the wielder, a CL5 Blinding Flash is activated by the wielder.

Notes: As much as I'd have liked to change the Lesser Heroism to Heroism, on the grounds that Heroism pots are readily available, the tank and healer classes that'd be most likely to use this shield aren't ever especially likely to utilize said potions. So instead..
    Last edited by Dagolar; 10-16-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Reserved1

Reserved2

Reserved3

Raids

Tempest's Spine

NEW: Can drop 0-1 Elemental Essence Fragments (Cold or Fire) in the left end chest. (See OP for details on elemental essence fragments.)

Choker of the Silver Tongue

Current: ML9, Yellow Augment Slot, Charisma +5, Diplomacy +10, Bluff +10, Intimidate +10

Modifications: No Change!

Notes: Yellow slot, plus solid-for-the-level bonuses to a stat and three useful skills. Worth keeping for a few levels, and a handy TR item. I've no complaints.

Cloak of Invisibility

Current: ML9, Green Augment Slot, Invisibility (Protection +2, Invisibility 1/Day), Ghostly

Modifications: (Add) Light Resist 10

Notes: Note suggested change to Invisibility in OP. This item currently is a simple green slotted Ghostly item, which is no longer near as meaningful as it once was. Changing around Invisibility a touch and adding a small amount of the ever-rare Light resistance makes this an item with some reasonable breadth of functionality.

Elemental Mithral Breastplate

Current: +5 Mithral Breastplate: ML8, Green Slot - Cold Res 15, Yellow Slot - Fire Res 15

Modifications: (Change) MDB 6 -> MDB7 (Add) Fire Absorption 5%, Cold Absorption 5%

Notes: At first I was ready to write this item off, but then I noticed what an impact Mithral has in the new armor system- at 14 AC, this armor has a lengthy AC life for a light armor, being more potent than some ML22s. Of course, the MDB isn't near as good. Taking a look at the properties of Mithral and MDB for breastplates, I decided to add +1MDB, as well as a touch of Elemental Absorption for personality and lingering utility.

Enchanted Darkleaf Banded Armor

Current: +4 Steel Banded Armor (Armor Bonus +15, MDB 3): ML8, Blue Slot- Prot +2, Resistance +4

Modifications: (Add) Second Blue Slot - +6 PRR, Moderate Fortification

Notes: A simple +4 armor with a blue slot and a readily improvable resistance bonus. Adding a second blue slot makes it distinct and rare for an armor, and the moderate fortification rounds it out and plays off its description, and makes it distinct from the Imbued Darkleaf Banded Armor.

Eternal Wand of Charm Monster

Current: Charm Monster 2/Day

Modifications: (Change) Max 2 Charges -> Max 5 Charges

Notes: Eternal Wands ought be worth the effort- as is, this isn't even worth the effort of a level 20 Arcanotechnician. Just a bit of tweaking..

Full Plate of Giants

Current: +5 Full Plate (Armor Bonus +18, MDB 1): ML8, Blue Slot - Moderate Fort., DR 5/-

Modifications: (Change) Armor Bonus +18->+20

Notes: Playing off the 'resilient Giant-Craft' angle, this already fairly reliable for the level armor got just a bit of additional specialization to make it a reliable TR-Tank item (and better differing it from the other +18 Armor bonus Full Plates from the raid).

Gleaming Adamantine Plate

Current: +5 Adamantine Full Plate (Armor Bonus +18, MDB 1): ML 8, Adamantine (DR 3/-), Command, Green Augment - Proof Against Poison +4

Modifications: (Change) Green Slot- Proof Against Poison -> Green Slot- Fear Immunity (Add) Incite 10%

Notes: In modifying this generic-feeling item, I tried to give it a bit more personality, while also differing it from the Shining Adamantine Plate and Full Plate of Giants.

Goggles of Perception

Current: Attack Bonus +2 (Competence, doesn't stack with Accuracy items), Spot +10, Search +10, Colorless Augment

Modifications: (Change) Attack Bonus +2 (Competence bonus -> Insight bonus)

Notes: Much like Dream Visors, the addition of the much more potent Accuracy Items negated a once strong-factor in an otherwise still-useful item. A quick tweak, and it's once again one of my favored TR cache items (I play a lot of rogues )

Imbued Darkleaf Banded Armor

Current: +4 Darkwood Banded Armor (Armor Bonus +16, MDB3): ML8, Blue Slot- Prot +3, Resistance +4

Modifications: (Add) Second Blue Slot - +4 PRR

Notes: Offering druidic oath-compatability and +1 AC over the Enchanted Darkleaf, I attempted to balance it to the same considerations, while evening out the value a bit (by adding Mod Fort to Enchanted, and balancing out the Preslots).

Maelstrom

Current: +3 Greataxe: ML 8, +.5 [W], Frost (1d6), Anarchic (2d6 v Lawful), Red Augment, Purple Augment

Modifications: Maelstrom: On a Vorpal Strike, target opponent must make a DC 12 intelligence save, or become Dazed for 1 second. Chaotic-aligned creatures gain a +2 bonus to their save. This ability does not affect mindless creatures or chaotic outsiders.

Notes: For ML 8, this is actually a fairly potent item, having decent specs for the level, plus two augment slots. Still, it lacks distinction and draw, and is fairly circumstantial in use, as is. (Dazed: Cannot take action, but are not considered helpless.) I'm not sure about the intelligence stats for most mobs across level ranges, so the DC is a placeholder (the intent being to let the axe persist a few levels, plus have continued use against low-intelligence creatures (eg, animals)).

Nightblade

Current:+4 Byeshk Falchion: ML 8, +.5[W], Keen, Red Augment, Purple Augment

Modifications: (Add) Finesse (See OP for proposed change to ability), Evil Outsider Bane I

Notes: This uninspiring [though decent] item does little to encourage use of the little-favored Falchions. Playing off the obvious anti-Quiori angle, I added just a touch to make it more appealing. The finesse was added to make it more distinct and versatile, though I'm not entirely happy about the resulting balance to ML.

Robe of Arcane Pussiance

Current: Robe: ML 8, Armor Bonus +6, Potency +40, Spell Lore (Unknown value), Green Augment, Colorless Augment

Modifications: (Add) Exclusive, Arcane Pussiance (3 charges, 1 recharge/day): Your next spell or blast from an Eldritch Strike gains +5% chance to critical.

Notes: For such an iconic name, this robe is very generic- though solid for the ML. For a while I contemplated adding an inherent (versus charge/day) bonus, but that ended up making it a bit TOO persistant in value, given how few passive spell-effect boosts the game has.

Robe of Potency:

Current: Robe: ML 8, Armor Bonus +6, Potency +40, Spell Lore (Unknown value), Green Augment, Colorless Augment

Modifications: (Add) Exclusive, Energized Spellcraft (3 charges, 1 recharge/day): Your next spell or blast from an Eldritch Strike gains a +10 competence bonus to Spell Power.

Notes: Other than a different appearance, this robe is identical to the Robe of Arcane Pussiance, despite suitably different flavor text. Playing off my end decision on how to modificy Arcane Pussiance, I utilized a similar- but slightly different- approach to this robe.

Shining Adamantine Plate

Current: +4 Adamantine Full Plate (Armor Bonus +17, MDB 1): ML 8, Adamantine (DR 3/-1), Command, Green Slot - Proof Against Poison 2

Modifications: (Change) Green Preslot-> Moderate Fortification (Add) Vitality +20

Notes: Here, I had to both bring Shining Plate into balance with Gleaming (As noted with the Darkleaf armors, having a distinctly better armor available as a drop just makes the inferior drops un-fun.), as well as make it distinct from Full Plate of Giants and Gleaming Plate.

Star of Irian

Current: +4 Morningstar, ML 8, +.5[W], Holy (2d6 v Evil), Righteous (+2 attack/damage v Evil), Red Augment, Orange Augment

Modifications: (Add) Preslot (to Red Augment slot): Law Damage Flag.

Notes: (In comparison to Maelstrom) At +1 Ehancement, and more coordinated and generally useful enchantments, this item seems perfect for the level- until you note the Orange slot, which is distinctly less useful. With a quick and relevant preslotting, we get a fully capable item.

New Additions:

Docent of Elemental Harmony:

Specs: Mithral Body (+5 Armor Class), Adamantine Body (+12 Armor Class), Orange Augment
    Elemental Harmony: When you cast a cold spell, for the next 10 seconds you gain +5 stacking fire resistance, and your next fire spell cast gains +10 spell power. When you cast a fire spell, for the next 10 seconds you gain +5 stacking cold resistance and your next cold spell gains +10 spell power.

Notes: Docents were notably missing from this raid. Resistances don't stack past +5 per 10 seconds, spell power boosts don't stack past +10 per 10 seconds. (They do, however, stack with all other sources of resistance/spell power.) While at first a reliable +10 spell power seems a bit off, given how rarely this game makes alternating cold and fire suitable, it seemed a reasonable approach.

Orb of the Elements

Specs: ML 8, Damage [1d6] + 0 Force, +3 Orb Bonus, Empty Colorless Augment Slot
    Elemental Potency: +40 Equipment bonus to Sonic, Fire, Acid, Electric, and Cold Spell Power.
    Elemental Shield: While actively blocking, your orb bonus to elemental resistances is twice the usual, and you gain 5% elemental absorption.

Notes: Note the suggested changes to Orb-Active-Blocking bonus to resistances in the OP. Going off those changes, the base resistance would be +9 for this item, to a total of +18 due to Elemental Shield's bonus. If Orbs are intended to be used in the shield slot, they ought have some sort of vaugely noticable defensive bonus.

Skull Banglet:

Specs: ML 8, Adamantine Material, Yellow Augment Slot
    Unyielding Girdle: +2/Adamantine DR, Stacking; -2 Dexterity, Exceptional Fortification 10% (Hidden Effect: +10% item durability)

Flavor Text: Originally worn by the Storm Giant Sor'jek, this potently enchanted leg banglet seems as if it would fit around your waist with a little adjustment.

Notes: I've always been fascinated with Warforgeds' ability to stack addy DR [via feats, enhancements, and FvS (Lord of Blades) level 20]. This item offers just enough of a boost to be worth seeking out, while remaining balanced by not offering much else [including a bit of dexterity loss].

Stormreaver's Knife

Specs: +3 Mithral Shortsword ([1d6] 19-20/x2): ML10, +.5[W], Attack Mod (Any), Damage Mod (Any), Aligned, Metalline

Flavor Text: A favorite knife of the Stormreaver, this knife adapts to the will and needs of the user, though it doesn't seem to have been originally intended for use as a weapon.

Notes: I'm playing off the assumption- going off of all the new dex->damage/etc additions to the game- the devs managed to break free of the Max of 2x attack/damage stat types per weapon. As far as balance, the item doesn't offer any inherent bonuses to damage or utility, only universal DR breaking, and universal stat use. Compare this item to the ML14 Turbulent Epee (and note how very easy the Epee is to get).
    Last edited by Dagolar; 10-17-2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Forgot to add Orange Augment to Elemental Docent

Quote Originally Posted by Dagolar View Post
    Carnifex
    Current: +2 Greataxe: ML4, Keen
    Modifications: (Change) ML7 (Add) Vorpal, Red Augment Slot, Execution: This axe seeks the demise of its targets. +1 insight bonus to Assassinate DC, Expanded Threat Range +1 (Remove) ML4, Keen
    Notes: Now HERE is an item in need of assistance. A +2 Keen Greataxe? In this day and age? I'm not sure if that's a reward or something else. Well, Carnifex is an executioner's axe. Lets get creative.
    I think you missed the point of it, it's a tr twink item and it works great as is since it's actually 2x the normal crit range then keen on top of that. A keen greataxe only crits 19-20 carnifex crits 17-20. Not every item needs to stay viable past low levels, some items are good twink gear and that's a good thing. Many heroic items have already had a pass to them, the thing that needs a pass is old epic items, heroic items are in a decent place compared to where they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    I think you missed the point of it, it's a tr twink item and it works great as is since it's actually 2x the normal crit range then keen on top of that. A keen greataxe only crits 19-20 carnifex crits 17-20. Not every item needs to stay viable past low levels, some items are good twink gear and that's a good thing. Many heroic items have already had a pass to them, the thing that needs a pass is old epic items, heroic items are in a decent place compared to where they were.
    This sums up my thoughts fairly well. I am looking forward to the OP's thoughts on mid level raid gear as that's very much in need of some updates or slots at minimum, but chain rewards work well as twink gear and TR leveling gear for the range they are in.

I think changing the Carnifex's level from 4 to 7 shows a great amount of disconnect with why players really enjoy the item as is. I get that you're doing this as a personal project, but this sort of change is not only confusing to long term players, but projects a lack of knowledge about legacy loot like Carnifex, which unfortunately reflects poorly on the rest of your proposed changes, many of which really do have some promise.

For a bit of constructive thought, I've always thought that Skeleton Key should be able to substitute for level appropriate Thieves Tools as a permanent item. Even if it acted as +2 Thieves Tools, you could use it for most of your leveling needs and even at end game you could keep it on hand for times when you run out of +5's
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

I would focus on most (if not all) items from Sentinels of Stormreach. Most of the items got a boost, but those from SoS remain exactly as they were. Chimera's Fang is a pretty cool Epic weapon, but it's not worth it at the level you have earliest access to (level 7?); Deneith Heavy Chain is a +1 suit of Chainmail with only Life Shield as a feature; Skirmish Chainmails gotten there are far, far better than the Heavy Chain, and the Brigand's Cuirass completely dwarfs its benefit. Elyd Edge and Midnight's Greetings are decent, but with Knife in the Dark allowing applying Dex to Kukri damage, the latter is losing its shine. Even the Chimera's Crown is weak.

I'd like to see them somewhat boosted. No weapon should be lower than +2, considering by that level you get +3 weapons with enhancements; same for armor, though that could easily be a +3 (the Docent is a +3 item). Augments MUST be added to each and every one, and their abilities should be revised. After all, each item is unique in its own way: Chim's Fang can be used by characters with the Mark of Sentinel without a feat requirement; Deneith Heavy Chain was supposed to be a Chainmail with the AC rating of a Heavy Plate; Elyd Edge uses Charisma for attack rolls and Midnight's Greetings grants Int to damage rolls (and with Assassins getting Kukri proficiency for free, Assassin''s Training is completely WORTHLESS). Of the items there, only Jidz'tetka and perhaps Winter's Wrath remain useful (the former further boosts your Monk stances, the latter grants Glaciation and renewable Snowball Swarm).

Just to mention that not all Heroic items are worthwhile, and that keeping items stored for the entirety of your Heroic life only to make them somewhat worthwhile on Epic doesn't cut it (and some of the Epic versions aren't as worthwhile either, considering Faerun epics...)

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post

For a bit of constructive thought, I've always thought that Skeleton Key should be able to substitute for level appropriate Thieves Tools as a permanent item. Even if it acted as +2 Thieves Tools, you could use it for most of your leveling needs and even at end game you could keep it on hand for times when you run out of +5's
    That's a clever idea as well

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post

This sums up my thoughts fairly well. I am looking forward to the OP's thoughts on mid level raid gear as that's very much in need of some updates or slots at minimum, but chain rewards work well as twink gear and TR leveling gear for the range they are in.

I think changing the Carnifex's level from 4 to 7 shows a great amount of disconnect with why players really enjoy the item as is. I get that you're doing this as a personal project, but this sort of change is not only confusing to long term players, but projects a lack of knowledge about legacy loot like Carnifex, which unfortunately reflects poorly on the rest of your proposed changes, many of which really do have some promise.
    I just screwed up the numbers for existing threat range in my head, is all- I essentially doubled the bonus keen gave when I was trying to see if it had an existing threat range increase.
    Well, since I'm not actually adding in a threat range increase, no reason to adjust the ML.
    What are your thoughts as is? [Edited]

And I started with Delara's because of my fondness for Skeleton key, I'm fully intending to focus on raids and epic items next

Quote Originally Posted by TGOskar View Post
    I would focus on most (if not all) items from Sentinels of Stormreach. Most of the items got a boost, but those from SoS remain exactly as they were. Chimera's Fang is a pretty cool Epic weapon, but it's not worth it at the level you have earliest access to (level 7?); Deneith Heavy Chain is a +1 suit of Chainmail with only Life Shield as a feature; Skirmish Chainmails gotten there are far, far better than the Heavy Chain, and the Brigand's Cuirass completely dwarfs its benefit. Elyd Edge and Midnight's Greetings are decent, but with Knife in the Dark allowing applying Dex to Kukri damage, the latter is losing its shine. Even the Chimera's Crown is weak.

I'd like to see them somewhat boosted. No weapon should be lower than +2, considering by that level you get +3 weapons with enhancements; same for armor, though that could easily be a +3 (the Docent is a +3 item). Augments MUST be added to each and every one, and their abilities should be revised. After all, each item is unique in its own way: Chim's Fang can be used by characters with the Mark of Sentinel without a feat requirement; Deneith Heavy Chain was supposed to be a Chainmail with the AC rating of a Heavy Plate; Elyd Edge uses Charisma for attack rolls and Midnight's Greetings grants Int to damage rolls (and with Assassins getting Kukri proficiency for free, Assassin''s Training is completely WORTHLESS). Of the items there, only Jidz'tetka and perhaps Winter's Wrath remain useful (the former further boosts your Monk stances, the latter grants Glaciation and renewable Snowball Swarm).
    Yeah, the epic pass on Carnival and Sentinals definitely missed out on touching on the heroic versions- and with the exceptional/insight change to stats, and the automatic spellpower allocation, several of the epic versions may want for number tweaking.

Just to mention that not all Heroic items are worthwhile, and that keeping items stored for the entirety of your Heroic life only to make them somewhat worthwhile on Epic doesn't cut it (and some of the Epic versions aren't as worthwhile either, considering Faerun epics...)
    The goal isn't to make EVERY item last through TO EPIC. It's to make every item last for at least a few levels after being able to equip it, with a few offering rare or unique (but not necessarily powerful) abilities.

Right now I focused more on balancing the items among themselves and against better rand gen items, and on making them more interesting.
    Obviously in some places that can lead to power creep or overcomplicated changes, so I'm looking to you all to point such out to me

What are your thoughts as is? [Edited]
    I kinda get what you're trying to do with the axe. To me, assassination and execution are two very different things. I do think that more +assassination items should be sprinkled around, especially at lower levels. I just don't think this axe is the place to do it. I agree completely with the added red slot. It's not so much that I'm against assassination bonuses on a greataxe if it fits the flavor. I just don't think it fits this case.

I kinda get what you're trying to do with the axe. To me, assassination and execution are two very different things. I do think that more +assassination items should be sprinkled around, especially at lower levels. I just don't think this axe is the place to do it. I agree completely with the added red slot. It's not so much that I'm against assassination bonuses on a greataxe if it fits the flavor. I just don't think it fits this case.
    Ah, well, between the 'Execute' ability in the Assassin tree, and the flavor text of the axe, I thought it could fit in. I also liked that it was on an atypical weapon for it.

That's not to say it needs more- or less- than the red slot to be a solid item

Very helpful feedback, I appreciate how clearly you make your points

Carnifex

Current: +2 Greataxe: ML4, Keen, +1 Expanded Threat Range

Modifications: (Add) Red Augment Slot, Execution: This axe seeks the demise of its targets. +1 insight bonus to Assassinate DC

Notes: Adjusted based on feedback
    Sorry what?

Why on earth would a Rogue be using this item and you have to spend 30 points in the Assassin tree in order to unlock it which is far beyond level 4. All it needs is a red augment slot adding and that is it.

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    Sorry what?

Why on earth would a Rogue be using this item and you have to spend 30 points in the Assassin tree in order to unlock it which is far beyond level 4. All it needs is a red augment slot adding and that is it.

Stoner81.
    Excellent point.

Updated the Original Post, and the Raids section (with Tempest's Spine).

Note that I'm working off the DDO wiki for item stats, so please note any errors in specs you find.

Chronoscope and Sands will be next.

I'm making a few notes here and will probably edit in while I look over the Tempest Spine loot.

Instead of a second blue slot on the banded armor, perhaps a green slot. I'm thinking the interface would have issues with 2 slots of the same color, which is why no items have that currently.

Your Maelstrom buff, while quite flavorful, is incredibly complicated for a 1 second debuff. Keep things as simple as possible whenever possible unless flavor trumps function, which should be only very occasionally. The weapon is quite reasonable as is, but if I were to add the extra effect, I'd either have it auto proc on a 20 or give it x% proc chance per hit if the 5% from vorpal hits is too much.

I think most of the other changes are fine, though these items just recently had a pass by Turbine so many were improved at that point.

I'm making a few notes here and will probably edit in while I look over the Tempest Spine loot.

Instead of a second blue slot on the banded armor, perhaps a green slot. I'm thinking the interface would have issues with 2 slots of the same color, which is why no items have that currently.
    Well, a system limitation is one thing, certainly.
    I was worried an additional Green'd be a bit overpowering in balance to the other available armors; And likewise, just converting the blue to green didn't really achieve the balance I was looking for.

I could, of course, simply remove the second slot and add in PRR/Prot respectively as an inherent [Adjusting for non augment, I'd go with +8PRR and +4 Prot, respective to each armor].

Your Maelstrom buff, while quite flavorful, is incredibly complicated for a 1 second debuff. Keep things as simple as possible whenever possible unless flavor trumps function, which should be only very occasionally.

The weapon is quite reasonable as is, but if I were to add the extra effect, I'd either have it auto proc on a 20 or give it x% proc chance per hit if the 5% from vorpal hits is too much.
    You mean, remove the intelligence save? That'd overpower it for the level, though; And it's hardly the first effect to proc on 20 with a save [eg, Nightmares].

You mean, remove the intelligence save? That'd overpower it for the level, though; And it's hardly the first effect to proc on 20 with a save [eg, Nightmares].
    My first question would be why intel save? Intel isn't traditionally a save stat. I'd suggest will save if you must. Doing an intel check instead of a will save mucks up the math. In your own example, you say you don't know much about mob intel stats. Why not just a will save?

My first question would be why intel save? Intel isn't traditionally a save stat. I'd suggest will save if you must. Doing an intel check instead of a will save mucks up the math. In your own example, you say you don't know much about mob intel stats. Why not just a will save?
    Because of the nature of the effect; I didn't want it to be based on willpower, but on perception. It's a reference to certain PnP effects, especially when you're playing with Psionics.

Besides, I wanted to make sure it had an extra effect on low-int creatures [who may or may not have high will saves], for similar reason.

As well, none of the items I'm covering are intended to be perfect, but to offer insight into player item feedback to, and offer idle musing for, the devs.

In other words, creativity isn't a bad thing, unless there is a distinct flaw in it.