Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member kafrielveddicus's Avatar

Default Play as an artificer

If you play as an artificer, it will help you with traps and allow for some good dps in the early levels for ease, the fact that you can control your mechanical dog allows for making alot of the level pulling and pressure plates to be used, and makes soloing much easier!

To the quest list posted above;

Tomb of the burning heart is easily soloed with one hireling (it is not necessary to be artificer to do this one)

Good luck with your gaming experience!!

If you are up for the challenge try out permadeath in PD halls of Valhalla on Ghallanda
    Guild: PD Halls of Valhalla on Ghallanda Level 63, Website: http://valhallans.proboards.com/
    Casualnarc Epic TR 2nd Life Level 9, Repentnarc 16, Gatlingnarc 15, Snipernarc 14, Banknarc 13, Airnarc 12, Braverynarc 11, Lednarc 11, Tempestnarc 11, Holynarc 9, Repeatnarc 6, Ebuttonnarc 6 <-ALL WITH ZERO DEATHS

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    Pull the Ice Flenser down the ramp toward the Fire Reaver...kill him and you have 30 seconds to kill the Reaver.
    Or, just pull Ice into the Fire lair and nuke 'em there. It eliminates the likelihood that something slows you down while running to the Fire Reaver.

The only requirement is a high-INT item to open a door. You can use secondary paths to bypass the locked doors.

Tempest's Spine is really more of a "How much can I do" than Completion thing. Once you get to the top, it's a fair chance that Sorjek will blow you off the summit. But if you can bring in a summons (not a hireling--not allowed in raids) to keep him busy as you solve his weather control puzzle and add in the runes, it's all good.

The Chronoscope is a better completion raid and can be fully soloed.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhelin View Post
    I previously came from NWO too, I played it about one month. Then I tried DDO and am still here, since 6 months. If you ever played Single Player D&D games, the DDO experience is much nearer to them than NWO could ever get. Before I started to play DDO I thought Rift was the MMO with the most variable Character classes - but DDO dwarfs Rift. First it took quite some time for me to find my preferred class to play, and my actually most played toon didn't even reach max level since the four months of its existence.

I started as Solo-Player too, tried to do most quests alone, because I wanted to learn the dungeons on my own the first time, though with Hireling but no other players. Then I found a guild and there was another player at the same Level like me and we started to team up and do quests together, which was and still is great fun. I didn't PUG often so far, actually only one pug raid, two pug quests and one pug slayer, and it never was a bad experience, but I prefer teaming with my guild mates.

Many quests are solo friendly but there are also a few that are not. The difficulty (Casual - Normal - Hard - Elite) has not much impact on the trash, but on traps and bosses. On Elite difficulty traps could kill you instantly and some bosses may be too hard for one player alone (also depending on the class, the equipment and the knowing of the dungeon) - this sometimes is disappointing, when one fought through a whole dungeon, killed all the trash - but failed at a single trap or the last boss. Though this is also a part of gaining experience with gameplay mechanics and tactics.
    THANK YOU for a very helpful reply. This is my predicament and I think I will follow your course; join a guild later and solo first.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Evilar View Post
    THANK YOU for a very helpful reply. This is my predicament and I think I will follow your course; join a guild later and solo first.
    The solo most of the time with a few dungeons thrown in there was what annoyed me about Neverwinter... i tend to just play that when none of my friends are online on DDO. Soloing is fine for a while but i much prefer to party up with my friends and do stuff that way, which is how D&D should be in my opinion.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Evilar View Post
    There's nothing stopping you joining a guild (for the buffs and awesome increase in convenience) and soloing anyway. That's exactly what I tend to do, if only because my few remaining guildies are never both online and in the same level range as me at the same time...
    I'm a snuggly, fluffy, cuddly-wuddly little rabbit.

And if you call me a gamer grrrrl, I will reach down your throat, rip out your pancreas and feed it to my Rottweiler.

Community Member

I've recently reached level 16 and so far I would say the solo experience is great, although I'm starting to see the "kill two monsters at once" gimmick appear in some of the level 14 quests which I hope will prove to be the exception rather than the rule.

Just don't expect to be able to solo elite content at level unless you are very good (which I'm not), and be prepared to have to skip the occasional quest which includes an anti-solo mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidZombie View Post
    I've recently reached level 16 and so far I would say the solo experience is great, although I'm starting to see the "kill two monsters at once" gimmick appear in some of the level 14 quests which I hope will prove to be the exception rather than the rule.

Just don't expect to be able to solo elite content at level unless you are very good (which I'm not), and be prepared to have to skip the occasional quest which includes an anti-solo mechanic.
    This. I prefer to solo most of the time (see my .sig ), and my main toon is level 14. I've deliberately not bought a few quest packs due to anti-solo requirements. I do like occasionally joining a PUG, but overall it's just not my thing. I would like to get a few raids under my belt, but while some can be solo'd (I've seen and read evidence), I know I'm not good enough and would prefer to find one that's raid-newb friendly, which isn't easy. That may or may not be the case for you as well, OP. There are such groups out there, but I guess you just have to be patient to find them.
    Altoholic, barrel-smasher, flower-sniffer, 90% solo-er.
    Khyber: Sianys (30 Tempest), Heldre (20 Warpriest); Argonessen: Thalys (18 Ranger), Alansa (24 Mechanic); Sarlona: Liilana (30 Knight of the Chalice); Thelanis: Berda (20 Fighter); Ghallanda: Rahelle (12 Wiz/3 Rogue ); Cannith: Dhia Dhuit (18 Druid)

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    5 - It varies from interesting to silly.
    Some of the sillier story arcs are the most entertaining, and some of the darkest tinted storylines are also equally as humorous (see harbinger of madness chain).

The Phiarlin Carnival has always been a personal favorite, with equal parts funny/serious. DDO has always had a good tongue-in-cheeck aspect imho.
    “Bodies wear out to remind us they are temporary, and force us to spend more thought on our spirits”
    ? Morgan Llywelyn, Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by roguish98 View Post
    Greetings community,

I am currently a Neverwinter Online player. I enjoy the game, but am tempted by the depth of character creation DDO appears to allow. I am primarily a solo player and am curious what kind of solo experience DDO offers:

1. How would you generally rate the solo experience? tricky when new, but as you learn the quests and aquire gear, it gets alot easier
    2. How much of the game is accessible to solo players? most of it. and a few quests that at first appear non-soloable are still able to be solo-ed with some creativity and patience
    3. What limitations do solo players experience? no comment
    4. Do solo characters have access to visually appealing gear, or are you stuck with the "pauper" look? solos can pretty much get the same gear as everyone else
    5. What is story content like in DDO? if you actually pay attention to it and read it... fair bits of it all tie together into a unified ongoing storyline, from the mindsunder you destroy in Misery's Peak, to the mindsunder you destroy in the Inspired Quarter....from the Stormreaver fresco you find in the Sharn chain, to facing one of the Stormreaver's lieutenants, to facing the Stormreaver himself, to helping it, back to facing him again....i enjoy it

Thank you in advance,
    roguish98
    Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Xorian Cipher (counts as 2 quests in the 325 number)
    Tomb of the Burning Heart
    both of these can be solo-ed with a single hire/arti dog/druid wolf/PM skeleton and creative positioning of mobs instead of just killing everything

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperAlexEU View Post
    noting your username i think it's important to go over how a rogue deals the bulk of their damage, their sneak attacks. to get a sneak attack all you have to do it not be the player the monster is trying to kill (aggo). you don't need to be actually sneaking nor do you need to be behind them. so, in a party this is as simple as being 1 step behind the barbarian. when soloing it is a lot harder as you are the only player, so as soon as the mobs know you are there your damage drops like a rock.

there are various ways to get your sneak attack back. bluff skill gains a few seconds of sneak attack. deception/improved deception randomly procs and blinds mobs. radiance (the damage property, not the light spellpower property) blinds (examine any weapon that says radiance... if it mentions light spellpower, it's not the one you want). if you have a way to provide yourself with freedom of movement or immunity to slippery surfaces... sleet storm blinds. a couple of the mid-level divine hires (i think specifically the FvS ones.) cast holy smite which blinds

all that said you have picked a great time to join the game as a rogue, because a recent update has made soloing as a rogue a LOT better! now, when you get rumbled you can try to escape and hide, and the mobs will eventually give up if they fail to find you. then you can sneak in for another hit and run attack.

at lvl12 it gets better yet again as you can get the assassinate ability from the assassin tree http://ddowiki.com/page/Assassin_enhancements

that lets you instantly kill a mob once every 12 seconds. well, i say a mob, it's actually 2 attempts per attack, so if you get the timing right you can knock off 2 mobs. this means you can sneak about a room bumping off the mobs 1-2 at a time without them realising you're there.

if you get lucky with double strike rolls you can potentially kill 3 at once (even 4 in theory with a perfect double strike roll and tightly packed mobs, but in practice, not so much)

assassin is definitely fun. been there done that. acrobat is also fun, but in a different way. much less emphasis on sneaky sneaky, much more brute force.

you're only bane will be quests where the mobs can see you and are immune to sneak attack damage. for example spiders and slimes can feel your footsteps (tremor sense) so you can't sneak past them. skeletons and zombies are immune to critical hits, so you can't do your big damage on them.

undead and constructs are "immune" unless you are a smart rogue ^_^ precision feat (anyone can take) bypasses 25% fort when precision is toggled on, opportunist feat (rogue special feat, taken at 10, 13, 16, or 19 levels of rogue) bypasses 10%. add improved destruction on a weapon and you will very quickly stack up 8% of fort bypass. so we're easily to 43% fort bypassed in the heroic levels. armor piercing (envenomed blade is pretty easy to get solo and is 10% armor piercing. black dragonscale armor is 10% armor piercing for heroic, and 15% or 20% for the "flawless" (epic), and while Tor might be really hard to solo, scales can be purchased. adds extra % bypassed, and different amounts stack with each other.) so throw an envenomed blade into the mix and now we're bypassing fort over half the time, 53%. epic destinies gives even more ways to bypass fort, but i'm not even going to go into that right now.

personally i love my rogue and mix up the soloing with partying depending on the mood i'm in. if i want a fully immersive quest where i'm sneaking about avoiding the guards and assassinating my target, a bit like hitman, then i solo. if i want to get a quest done at pace to make some fast progress on my leveling then i party. it's like 2 completely different games rolled into 1, and many other classes are like that where they play so differently from each other.
    a few points and odds and ends.

the official home of LOLWUT
    and R.O.G.U.E !
    Pointless/Frivolous/Beguiling/Justanotha Waste of Time, Katzklaw, Pickt d'Locks & etc
    Q: how do you get me to appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question! XD

Greetings community,

I am currently a Neverwinter Online player. I enjoy the game, but am tempted by the depth of character creation DDO appears to allow. I am primarily a solo player and am curious what kind of solo experience DDO offers:

1. How would you generally rate the solo experience?
    2. How much of the game is accessible to solo players?
    3. What limitations do solo players experience?
    4. Do solo characters have access to visually appealing gear, or are you stuck with the "pauper" look?
    5. What is story content like in DDO?

Thank you in advance,
    roguish98
    4 out of 5 questions about soloing and shiny armors ... DDO is not for you

DDO emphasizes on group play and armors looks are for the most part random, some ugly, some good-looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ykt View Post
    4 out of 5 questions about soloing and shiny armors ... DDO is not for you

DDO emphasizes on group play and armors looks are for the most part random, some ugly, some good-looking.
    Plenty of people solo the vast majority of the game content. I usually don't start grouping until around level 16 after gianthold, because those runes at the end of fleshmaker... I soloed it once, won't do it again.

1. It's fun if you're immersing/role playing and act as a content tourist. From a pure gameplay perspective, some quests, especially ones without puzzles/platforming/traps, can be very boring, because of the lack of multiple players synergizing their skills and utilizing teamwork. Eliminating an army of enemies is fun in a party. Not so much when you play solo. The story for the quests is still universally fun, though, and you'll enjoy the visuals as well if you can max the graphics out. (Despite how dated it is, in reality.)

2. About a good 90%. All but maybe 2 raids can't be solod by most if not all builds. On top of these raids, about 4-5 quests (of the 180 or so total) have teamwork puzzles/levers that absolutely require 2 or more players to advance.

3. Aside from being barred from the above quests, solo players generally have to keep some level of self sufficiency and multipurposing in mind when creating their characters. You can summon NPC Hirelings (most people chose Cleric Hirelings to keep themselves healed.) to fill in a role, but generally, you want to have a little bit of healing AND melee potential. (Melee hirelings are less than ideal, and Healer Hirelings have a tendency to bug out and become unresponsive at the worst times, which can kill a run if you don't have heals of your own in an emergency.)

This is doubly so if you want to play the quests at-level and on Hard/Elite difficulty, and if so, you also NEED to incorporate trapping into your build, as trapper hirelings are only available in the cash shop.

So basically, soloing doesn't allow for extreme/flavor builds. Pure casters that focus on crowd control over damage, for example, are going to have a hard time.

4. Everyone has access to nice looking gear, thanks to recent loot changes. Randomly generated, non-named loot gets more colorful and fun to look at the higher you get in levels. In levels 1-10, you will most commonly loot boring brown chainmails. By level 15, you'll start to get random loot that is all Purple/Black, Green/Yellow, and other such vivid themes. Named armor and headgear also tend to look nice and are absolutely available to solo players.

5. It's not Tolkien tier, but if you roleplay in your head enough, you'll probably like it. Many quests interlink and you'll find factions/events from previous content making a return that makes you go "haha, neat". They do tend to be rather basic, though. Villain shows up, builds up formidable power in one way or another and is super confident that they will take over the world. Then you run 3-6 quests where you systematically wipe out the Villain's entire army, then murder the Villain while he gives you his Villain monologue. Most story arcs will work in this way, but if you aren't shallow minded, you won't let that bother you too much. At least there's very few Arbitrary elements to the stories behind quests, which certainly helps set the mood.

One annoying thing of note:
    Most raids tend to be climactic points of their respective story arcs. The problem is, they also contain a wealth of story in the form of NPC Dialogue Windows.
    Which you will never, ever get to read, unless you can convince 11 other people to wait for you to read it and not advance the quest until then. Newer raids tend to have a voice over commentating the story, but they still have some dialogue windows you will miss, and older raids don't have voice over at all.

Heck, I'd love to know the full story behind VoN 4, and especially what that Dwarf at the end of Part 1 tells you...
    Last edited by TekkenDevil; 10-30-2013 at 04:24 AM.

Community Member

Greetings community,

4. Do solo characters have access to visually appealing gear, or are you stuck with the "pauper" look?

Thank you in advance,
    roguish98
    1 - very good
    2 - about 85%
    3 - Raids are the ones where u'd want to group, and raids are important.
    4 - There are some nice visually appearing gear! It's not very varied, but i actually buy cosmetics, i have 2, one for male and one for female, that i switch around. Worth it for me
    5 - Its very good. I love that it is funny, love the DM's, and i would say the questing is different from the fetch this fetch that of other MMO's and think this is superior to alot of mmo's. One thing is because of the MMO nature of it, the story can be totally neglected, not like a console RPG of course. But overall i rate it very good.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TekkenDevil View Post
    (Melee hirelings are less than ideal

Pure casters that focus on crowd control over damage, for example, are going to have a hard time.
    Not necessarily. An arcane caster and a warforged melee hireling can be a powerful combination. Add a newly-upgraded pale master summoned skeleton into the mix and you can quite easily cast a few buffs then take a back seat while your "team" deals with the enemies.

Default Appearance

4: Soloers are no worse off than anyone else when it comes to how your character looks.

There are three items that affect your appearance:
    1) headgear or goggles, only one or neither is visible.
    2) armor

All three types of items (headgear, goggles, armor) come in two varieties:

1) Random loot, which have a random appearance
    2) Named items, which always have the same appearance

Both random and named loot can look good or hideous. Named items can have a certain prestige about them, even if they don't look that great.

Lastly, you can buy or obtain in-game cosmetic items that put an "overlay" over your current gear.

Welcome and enjoy your stay in DDO! Your best location for all kinds of DDO related information is http://ddowiki.com.
    Last edited by stoerm; 10-30-2013 at 06:24 AM.
    Don't feed the trolls.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

Community Member

Greetings community,

Thank you in advance,
    roguish98
    1.) The game is soloable with virtually any "class" (once you got the knowledge). "Class" can be read as (more properly) build, but I'm keeping it simple.
    2.) About 90% of the game is thoroughly soloable. That includes all explorer areas and the vast majority of quests. We're talking a lot of content; DDO is pretty big.
    3.) Sometimes you need to synchronize team members for puzzle solving. Certain (few) quests can't be completed with hirelings (AI characters you can bring along to your quest). Some need 4 players to be done. But those are few and far between.
    4.) You have many options for visuals. Armors have different looks and you can buy cosmetic armor kits to change your helmet / armor appearance.
    5.) Storytelling per se (like NPC quest presentation) and quest logs need some improvement. That said, quests are really immersive story - wise. Many times the plot develops within the quest itself. I really like those quests.

If you like rogues, the feeling of playing a rogue in DDO for the first time is one of my favorite gaming experiences, especially if you are learning the quests and are in a patient group (or soloing). I've been in the zerg bandwagon for a long time but I am still fond of those early times.

Doable but largely unsupported.

I could solo most quests that I've tried with a ranger. RAIDS are out of question though.

No RAIDS, no RAID items, no RAID exp, and probably not much fun.

Cosmetic gears are available for everybody.

I love the story content.

Just reinforcing: do not expect Turbine to support solo gameplay. This is an MMO, it is meant for team play. They change stuffs in the game quite often, and it may break your solo build. All in all, I'd suggest you to play in team and have one char to have some solo fun also if you insist (which is exactly my case).

Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    both of these can be solo-ed with a single hire/arti dog/druid wolf/PM skeleton and creative positioning of mobs instead of just killing everything.
    Yep. Most anything can be soloed. I tried to clarify when I wrote that list that the quests listed are annoying and frustrating for a new player to try and solo, not impossible. In other words, quests that a new player looking to solo is better off just skipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    Plenty of people solo the vast majority of the game content. I usually don't start grouping until around level 16 after gianthold, because those runes at the end of fleshmaker... I soloed it once, won't do it again.
    Wake up, the OP is new, not a veteran running Epic Elite Crucible blindfolded.

DDO = not solo, not shiny smexy armor, not "kill 10 rats" quest repetition game

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Yep. Most anything can be soloed. I tried to clarify when I wrote that list that the quests listed are annoying and frustrating for a new player to try and solo, not impossible. In other words, quests that a new player looking to solo is better off just skipping.
    I note that you didn't include Crucible in that list.

I find that place somewhat... frustrating... even in a full party with some experienced players. (Put up an LFM for Gianthold "sightseeing" and it can turn into an Elite Crucible PUG. Oh well, anything that gives favor...)
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).
    Away from the game most of 2015 & 2016.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast