Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Potential New Player: The DDO Solo Experience?

Greetings community,

I am currently a Neverwinter Online player. I enjoy the game, but am tempted by the depth of character creation DDO appears to allow. I am primarily a solo player and am curious what kind of solo experience DDO offers:

1. How would you generally rate the solo experience?
    2. How much of the game is accessible to solo players?
    3. What limitations do solo players experience?
    4. Do solo characters have access to visually appealing gear, or are you stuck with the "pauper" look?
    5. What is story content like in DDO?

Thank you in advance,
    roguish98
    Last edited by roguish98; 10-15-2013 at 12:58 PM.

DDO is quite viable as a solo experience but at the same time it's really designed as a group experience and many players seem to think they can't run much of anything without a group. There are some quests that are only theoretically playable solo but it's a minority of the whole. I think the developers are slowly coming to the realization that a significant number of DDO players are primarily soloists and that this should be reflected in dungeon design. Much less new material is being devoted to the old raid mentality and some of us think this is a good thing.

Community Member EnjoyTheJourney's Avatar

I almost exclusively solo and the game works just fine that way. There is some content, especially raids, that are not intended for solo play and there are a few missions here and there which have anti-soloing mechanics (not many, but some) that cannot be easily overcome. But, dragging along a hireling works for the vast majority of content. If you'd rather not drag along a hireling, that can work as well (although that is quite a bit more challenging, in general).

Quote Originally Posted by roguish98 View Post
    Greetings community,

I am currently a Neverwinter Online player. I enjoy the game, but am tempted by the depth of character creation DDO appears to allow. I am primarily a solo player and am curious what kind of solo experience DDO offers:

4. Do solo characters have access to visually appealing gear, or are you stuck with the "pauper" look?

Thank you in advance,
    roguish98
    1 - I solo most stuff because It's usually quicker for me then waiting around for people and I can go at my own pace.
    2 - The quests can be done on casual or normal difficulty so if you find something too difficult you can try an easier setting.
    3 - As a new player you may find soloing some quests too difficult or time consuming. The game starts to get easier when you figure your build out and get some gear.
    4 - The random armor has a random appearance. After 4 years I still see new armor looks.
    5 - It varies from interesting to silly.

Greetings community,

1. How would you generally rate the solo experience?Great - depends on class and game knowledge a bit though, skill selection can help with this (high spot to help noting traps). Also the difficulty settings of quests allows you to take things at an appropriate difficulty (ie. new to game - if you start failing quests then set the difficulty down a notch). The hirelings, though sometimes annoying, are generally good enough to provide that one thing you are missing in a quest - though you can only get rogues for traps through the store.
    95% or more - there are only a few quests where you NEED another body (sometimes not good enough to bring a hireling) - Raids are designed for 12 people so very tough to solo BUT are not required to progress in the game.
    Probably just missing out on raid gear.
    4. Do solo characters have access to visually appealing gear, or are you stuck with the "pauper" look?As noted you will miss out on raid gear but some of the best looking stuff isn't raid gear PLUS you can buy(and very rarely loot(?I have never so not 100% sure if you can?) cosmetic armors so you can always look good.
    This is the hard one - there is a large overarching story throughout the game that peaks out from about level 3/4 to the end game raid (Fall of Truth - Level 25). But you kinda have to look out for it in everything to really see it.....all based on the StormReaver Prophecy - if you search the threads here you will probably find a synopsis of some sort. The stories in individual quests are decent and some are much better than others (ie. Vault of Night where you reunite an old adventuring group for one last job to assault a magical vault that flows through 4 quests and a two part raid). Rating this is hard but as an MMO I'd put it at a solid 7/10.

Thank you in advance,
    roguish98
    answers in red
    gotta to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight - B. Cockburn
    Guild Leader - Order of the Silver Dragons
    Mains Darlao Completionist Toogor Sorc TR7 Also Listarn Shadar Kai Rogue 20/8 - WhiskyTango CL28 TR4 - Toongor Bd28 TR2 - Sooey Dwarf ConBarb28 TR2 Pusshy -WizMo 18/ 2/8+9 More

It is the same as the group experience…almost exactly.

About 75%, in my estimation. There are some quests –Xorian Cipher, Ghosts of Perdition – where it is remotely possible to solo the quest, but near impossible if you have little-to-no patience like me. Then there are the raids whose mechanics imply a large group. Most of these non-solo quests are used to flag for raids, so if you are never interested in running raids, then it really doesn’t matter. There is LOTS of content to run that can be done solo.

Then there are the wilderness areas which virtually all of them can be done solo.

If you take a hireling for healing? Next to none. Most of the stuff that you can’t do is considered optional quest objectives anyways. Traps, I assume, are going to be your biggest impediment, and you can buy hireling trappers from the DDO store if you are not comfortable with a rogue or rogue-splashed character (or artificer).

The “good stuff” has less to do with visual appeal, but more with power. If you don’t like the look of your gear, you can buy cosmetics to change that.

Some of the stuff people think is cool looking I personally find to be an eyesore.
    Sketchy, but not bad.

Community Member

Thank you all very much!

1. it is more challenging for a new player, it becomes less so once you know the quests and how to prepare for them, and also how to build a character that can heal himself and do good damage and be able to get past traps and so on.

two things that work to your advantage, the difficulty of a quest scales down if you are solo, or in a small group, meaning mobs have less hp, dont hit as hard, traps do less damage, some quests there are less monsters too.

and also hirelings, they are npcs of various classes that can be hired in game for platinum, are fairly cheap and easily accessible through all levels, though they are not as good as running with another human being that actually knows how to play.

2. about 90%, 99% with a hireling, and about 99.9% if you dual box (yes, you are allowed to log in multiple accounts from the same computer and run on the same server and in the same party).

3. well, you probably wont be doing any raids. Other than that it really depends on what you make, if you make a pure fighter for example, you wont be finding hidden doors that hide chests and optionals.

4. your appearance is not limited.

5. its not laid out for you, but if you are the kind of person that is interested in the story and you talk to the npcs and actually read what they say, you start to realize that all those seemingly disconnected quests actually are connected.

Regarding raids and storyline; it's somewhat frustrating to me that just about every large arc, or sub-arc, ends in a raid. So you run all the quests, the story gradually builds up, and then...
    a) You're running solo: Can't run the raid; you don't get to see the big reveal, final twist, or whatever. No conclusion to the story for you.
    b) You're in a group: Zerg! Zerg! Zerg! Raid chests! Woot! Recall! ... What just happened? Why did he? Why did we?

And then you go on to the regular quests in next part of the arc, not really being sure what all the NPCs are talking about.

I haven't run the shadowfell content yet, but in terms of pre-shadowfell stuff there are 325 quests/raids/challenges in the game. Of those 325, the following aren't really solo-friendly. Many of these technically can be soloed, but it's such a pain that soloers may be better off just skipping them:

Gladewatch Outpost Defense (not hard to solo when you know the trick)
    Xorian Cipher (counts as 2 quests in the 325 number)
    Tempest's Spine
    From Beyond the Grave
    Spinner of Shadows (easier than rest of list; merely annoying to solo)
    Tomb of the Burning Heart
    Vault of Night
    Plane of Night
    Twilight Forge
    Titan Awakes
    Reaver's Fate
    Fall of Truth
    Flesh Maker's Laboratory
    Ascension Chamber
    Shroud
    Hound of Xoriat
    Vision of Destruction
    Monastery of the Scorpion
    Prey on the Hunter (not that hard to solo)
    Master Artificer
    Lord of Blades
    Genesis Point
    Tower of Despair
    Caught in the Web

That's 25 solo-unfriendly quests/raids/challenges in the 325, which puts the game at 92.3% solo-friendly. Note that the solo-unfriendly stuff is mostly raids. Also worth pointing out is that all challenges are soloable.

Community Member

noting your username i think it's important to go over how a rogue deals the bulk of their damage, their sneak attacks. to get a sneak attack all you have to do it not be the player the monster is trying to kill (aggo). you don't need to be actually sneaking nor do you need to be behind them. so, in a party this is as simple as being 1 step behind the barbarian. when soloing it is a lot harder as you are the only player, so as soon as the mobs know you are there your damage drops like a rock.

all that said you have picked a great time to join the game as a rogue, because a recent update has made soloing as a rogue a LOT better! now, when you get rumbled you can try to escape and hide, and the mobs will eventually give up if they fail to find you. then you can sneak in for another hit and run attack.

at lvl12 it gets better yet again as you can get the assassinate ability from the assassin tree http://ddowiki.com/page/Assassin_enhancements

that lets you instantly kill a mob once every 12 seconds. well, i say a mob, it's actually 2 attempts per attack, so if you get the timing right you can knock off 2 mobs. this means you can sneak about a room bumping off the mobs 1-2 at a time without them realising you're there.

you're only bane will be quests where the mobs can see you and are immune to sneak attack damage. for example spiders and slimes can feel your footsteps (tremor sense) so you can't sneak past them. skeletons and zombies are immune to critical hits, so you can do your big damage on them.

personally i love my rogue and mix up the soloing with partying depending on the mood i'm in. if i want a fully immersive quest where i'm sneaking about avoiding the guards and assassinating my target, a bit like hitman, then i solo. if i want to get a quest done at pace to make some fast progress on my leveling then i party. it's like 2 completely different games rolled into 1, and many other classes are like that where they play so differently from each other.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

2016 DDO Players Council kinggartk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I haven't run the shadowfell content yet, but in terms of pre-shadowfell stuff there are 325 quests/raids/challenges in the game. Of those 325, the following aren't really solo-friendly. Many of these technically can be soloed, but it's such a pain that soloers may be better off just skipping them:

Gladewatch Outpost Defense (not hard to solo when you know the trick)
    Xorian Cipher (counts as 2 quests in the 325 number)
    Tempest's Spine
    From Beyond the Grave
    Spinner of Shadows (easier than rest of list; merely annoying to solo)
    Tomb of the Burning Heart
    Vault of Night
    Plane of Night
    Twilight Forge
    Titan Awakes
    Reaver's Fate
    Fall of Truth
    Flesh Maker's Laboratory
    Ascension Chamber
    Shroud
    Hound of Xoriat
    Vision of Destruction
    Monastery of the Scorpion
    Prey on the Hunter (not that hard to solo)
    Master Artificer
    Lord of Blades
    Genesis Point
    Tower of Despair
    Caught in the Web

That's 25 solo-unfriendly quests/raids/challenges in the 325, which puts the game at 92.3% solo-friendly. Note that the solo-unfriendly stuff is mostly raids. Also worth pointing out is that all challenges are soloable.

With the right stats, Tempest spine is easily soloable at level.
    Vision of Destruction is soloable also with a strong character. Nothing about the mechanics of the quest require more than one character. Same goes for Hound of Xoriat.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    Same goes for Hound of Xoriat.
    Vod is easy enough but Hox ? How would you do that, or does fury BS still work ?
    Ghallanda

I'd say DDO's solo experience is fairly healthy. 8.5 out of 10.

95%-98% of the game can be soloed with the proper know-how.

Mostly it comes down to quest mechanics... levers that cannot be pulled by one person, etc. However, with proper use of Hirelings, this limitation lessens.
    Healing is also a limiting factor, but again - this can be mitigated by a knowledgeable player in many ways.

In my opinion, appealing looking gear is the one area where DDO has always had problems. With very rare exceptions, the armor just looks bad. Some bits of armor are egregiously terrible. The cosmetic/customization options are threadbare at best - token nods towards better looking gear. It's not a pauper look... it's just not in any way visually appealing in most cases.

Robust, for those who take the time to read the NPC dialog. There are several interweaving and continuing plot lines, and even the one-shots are pretty well written.
    Last edited by Memnir; 10-17-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Greetings community,

I am currently a Neverwinter Online player. I enjoy the game, but am tempted by the depth of character creation DDO appears to allow. I am primarily a solo player and am curious what kind of solo experience DDO offers
    I previously came from NWO too, I played it about one month. Then I tried DDO and am still here, since 6 months. If you ever played Single Player D&D games, the DDO experience is much nearer to them than NWO could ever get. Before I started to play DDO I thought Rift was the MMO with the most variable Character classes - but DDO dwarfs Rift. First it took quite some time for me to find my preferred class to play, and my actually most played toon didn't even reach max level since the four months of its existence.

I started as Solo-Player too, tried to do most quests alone, because I wanted to learn the dungeons on my own the first time, though with Hireling but no other players. Then I found a guild and there was another player at the same Level like me and we started to team up and do quests together, which was and still is great fun. I didn't PUG often so far, actually only one pug raid, two pug quests and one pug slayer, and it never was a bad experience, but I prefer teaming with my guild mates.

Many quests are solo friendly but there are also a few that are not. The difficulty (Casual - Normal - Hard - Elite) has not much impact on the trash, but on traps and bosses. On Elite difficulty traps could kill you instantly and some bosses may be too hard for one player alone (also depending on the class, the equipment and the knowing of the dungeon) - this sometimes is disappointing, when one fought through a whole dungeon, killed all the trash - but failed at a single trap or the last boss. Though this is also a part of gaining experience with gameplay mechanics and tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    With the right stats, Tempest spine is easily soloable at level.
    I was thinking more along the lines of trying to time the fire & ice area. Don't you have to kill two mini-bosses who are pretty far apart at about the same time?

I've never really learned Tempest Spine, to be honest, because of that (possibly misperceived?) mechanic.

Community Member

(1) I would rate the solo experience as first class. You have the tools you need to adjust the difficulty, you can go at your own pace making discoveries and solving puzzles and problems while enjoying manageable combat. It's on a level with playing a single-player game, albeit a rather action-oriented one.

(2) Virtually all of the game is accessible to solo players, and that constitutes a massive amount of intricate, hand-crafted content. There are some raid adventures that require a group, and there are also a handful of quests that need two or more people to co-ordinate in a certain fashion (pulling levers at the same time, taking different paths through the dungeon) but these are by far the exception and not the rule.

(3) You won't experience much limitation, other than being unable to complete that handful of group-only quests. Your choice of character build may prevent you from being able to do certain things, like find secret doors or disable traps, and given the limits of an individual you might not be able to complete optional objectives that require a wide array of high stats or dialogue skills... but this isn't that big of a drawback. You can use an AI-controlled hireling to offset some of this, too. Most characters can be built to be extremely self-sufficient and capable alone no matter what you want to play, so you won't be forced into some small subset of the build options just because you prefer playing alone.

(4) You can find visually appealing gear alone (you can actually get most of the same gear that team players can get), and you can also buy cosmetic armours from the DDO store if you want a particular look. DDO doesn't in general impose a "pauper" look on gear at any stage of the game.

(5) Extremely fine. I don't know of any other game that captures the same feeling of going on an adventure as well as DDO. You'll experience a wide variety of story arcs across a multitude of fantastic locations, told in adventure episodes that include plenty of theme and unique nuances.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of trying to time the fire & ice area. Don't you have to kill two mini-bosses who are pretty far apart at about the same time?

I've never really learned Tempest Spine, to be honest, because of that (possibly misperceived?) mechanic.
    Pull the Ice Flenser down the ramp toward the Fire Reaver...kill him and you have 30 seconds to kill the Reaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Encair View Post
    Vod is easy enough but Hox ? How would you do that, or does fury BS still work ?

Difficult but not impossible. A good player behind a well built toon can pull it off.

There is nothing about the mechanics of HOX that require more than one player.

How would you generally rate the solo experience?

Good, especially if you enjoy strategy over (hack/slash or finger/zap).
    I enjoy creating jack of all trade characters for the solo experience.
    DDO has a wide range of classes(multi-classes), skills, feats and gear that make solo play fun and interesting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast