Hybrid View

Watching with amusements as one persons lfm never fills

Default Arti ranged DPS faultering

I have an Arti sitting at lev 23 and have noticed that his ranged DPS has flatlined. I am not sure what I'm missing in the build or gear. I have an intel of 46 and use insightful damage, deadly weapons, and tensers. I have a lit 2, epic hellfire, and several other high level repeaters, but have still stalled. any ideas how to get the DPS growing or will it come as I hit lev 28? This is my first arti and any advice would be welcomed.

edit: I took the feats and enhancements to boost damage with ranged weapons, and have also equipped the deadly and seeker items.

Quote Originally Posted by Slymenstraa View Post
    I have an Arti sitting at lev 23 and have noticed that his ranged DPS has flatlined. I am not sure what I'm missing in the build or gear. I have an intel of 46 and use insightful damage, deadly weapons, and tensers. I have a lit 2, epic hellfire, and several other high level repeaters, but have still stalled. any ideas how to get the DPS growing or will it come as I hit lev 28? This is my first arti and any advice would be welcomed.

edit: I took the feats and enhancements to boost damage with ranged weapons, and have also equipped the deadly and seeker items.
    What ED's you running?

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    What ED's you running?
    At the moment LD. trying to hit shiradi or fury, because i know they will help. What concerns me is the growth of DPS. It grew steadily til about level 18 then died off. Just wondering if I missed something.

At the moment LD. trying to hit shiradi or fury, because i know they will help. What concerns me is the growth of DPS. It grew steadily til about level 18 then died off. Just wondering if I missed something.
    Not really the damage does kind of level out drastically at that point. You can tweak it up with ed's but now that fury doesn't charge up with pure ranged, it really limits that as well now. I loved my arti but he just doesn't scale up well in epics compared to what they were like u13 and previous. (I will say I haven't played much with the new enhancements but I don't see anything in them that will help it and if anything I see things that will hurt)

Community Member

Needle, makes a big difference for straight up ranged damage.

It's difficult to keep up with the growth that melee gets from EDs, the key is to remember that artis aren't just ranged DPS, but that they are more of a support class that can do a bit of everything.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    now that fury doesn't charge up with pure ranged
    Really? Is it an U20 change?

Link a build anyone? This is my mains next life :/

I was actually thinking 14 arty 4 ranger 2 rogue/monk something something...But would have still preferred pure arty, but need evasion

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Not really the damage does kind of level out drastically at that point. You can tweak it up with ed's but now that fury doesn't charge up with pure ranged, it really limits that as well now. I loved my arti but he just doesn't scale up well in epics compared to what they were like u13 and previous. (I will say I haven't played much with the new enhancements but I don't see anything in them that will help it and if anything I see things that will hurt)
    Im pure Ranger running Fury destiny and as of last night my ranged attacks are charging Furys and and Eternal Fury, I hope this doesnt change or my build goes down the drain.

Community Member

If you haven't already got it the runearm Glass Cannon might add a little DPS to your xbow. The tier 3 version adds 2-16 bludgeon damage as well as 2-20 fire damage to every shot, plus it has 120 force spell power and a yellow slot. Downside is it drops your fortification by 25% and can only be gotten in the pirate cove event.

level 18 plus is where the HP start getting stupid, elite IQ has more HP than some epics.

I think a feat break down, build, race ehancements and all that jazz might be helpful so the ranged guru's can go over it.

Most the ranged artis I see going around in sharadi, they do well with making things helpless for more dps that way, and also some repeaters that help with this.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Yeah, there are diminishing returns on repeaters starting around GS levels. I think this really took effect when they changed heavy repeaters from 2d8 to 1d10.

Once I got to epic levels, I just regarded the repeater as something to pew pew with while I wasn't casting, rune-arming or fusilading.

You can mitigate this with DR-breakers and vorpals. This way you give consistent, steady damage.

At some point they decided to nerf repeaters, possibly around the same time and for similar reasons they nerfed WF.

Community Member

Sounds about right to me. The top of the curve for repeater arties, IME, is somewhere around 14-16. Straight DPS at 23 isn't going anywhere, so your best bet is to focus on effects.

Personally I liked Shadowdancer with a twist or two from Shiradi, but that was pre-U19 so mileage may vary depending on where your AP went and whether you splashed anything.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    level 18 plus is where the HP start getting stupid, elite IQ has more HP than some epics.

I think a feat break down, build, race ehancements and all that jazz might be helpful so the ranged guru's can go over it.

Most the ranged artis I see going around in sharadi, they do well with making things helpless for more dps that way, and also some repeaters that help with this.
    Stats: Str 22
    Dex 21
    Con 34
    Int 40
    wis 14
    Cha 16

Feats(of relevance to thread):
    Weapon focus ranged
    Precise shot
    Improved Critical
    I know I am missing some DPS feats, but needed the Arcane feats too.

Enhancements:
    Tier 4 Crossbow training
    Tier 2 infused weapons
    Weapon attachment

Primary weapons til higher levels
    Lit 2 heavy
    Epic Hellfire
    Epic Silver Slinger
    Epic Doublecross
    +4 Improved Cursespewing Repeating Light Crossbow of Deception, +4 to hit sneak attack and +8 to damage

All that being said, my blade barrier crits at around 800, with normal hits at 4-5 hundred I know, why cry about the ranged damage when I can kite mobs through my blade barrier. Well honestly it's a need to achieve a nice balance to my character and I feel that the balance is off. Of course that may change when I get the level 28 gear. On a side note, would someone please throw me a couple +1s so i can at least have 2 bars on my rep? lol, thx for all the great input so far!

Community Member

I've often wondered how Artie damage is with repeaters. I just played a Rogue Mechanic life and I was getting a ton of sneak attacks with repeaters with the occasional doubleshot. Made me wonder how Artie repeater damage competes with a rogue mechanic scoring sneak attacks with a repeater.

Stats: Str 22
    Dex 21
    Con 34
    Int 40
    wis 14
    Cha 16

Weapon focus ranged
    Precise shot
    Improved Critical

Enhancements:
    Tier 4 Crossbow training
    Tier 2 infused weapons
    Weapon attachment

Lit 2 heavy
    Epic Hellfire
    Epic Silver Slinger
    Epic Doublecross
    +4 Improved Cursespewing Repeating Light Crossbow of Deception, +4 to hit sneak attack and +8 to damage

All that being said, my blade barrier crits at around 800, with normal hits at 4-5 hundred I know, why cry about the ranged damage when I can kite mobs through my blade barrier. Well honestly it's a need to achieve a nice balance to my character and I feel that the balance is off. Of course that may change when I get the level 28 gear. On a side note, would someone please throw me a couple +1s so i can at least have 2 bars on my rep? lol, thx for all the great input so far!
    The xbows you're using just don't pump out good dps. Some of them are good for light CC. If you want to produce high damage, you're going to have to switch to alchemical and Needle. Alchemical tier 2 beats GS, and tier 3 overwhelms GS - fire-earth-fire is the highest dps lvl 20 xbow. Needle beats every other xbow hands down, and you'll want to run that in Fury. If you spec properly, you'll see adrenaline crits of 2500 regularly (competence bonus, seeker, exceptional seeker, artifact bonus, etc).

Also, combat archery will help. I'm assuming you have point blank range.
    Last edited by Singular; 10-16-2013 at 09:19 AM.

Weapon focus ranged
    Precise shot
    Improved Critical

Lit 2 heavy
    Epic Hellfire
    Epic Silver Slinger
    Epic Doublecross
    If those are the only ranged feats you have then that is part of the problem.

It sounds you are more caster focused. As such you repeater damage is going to be down, and that is fine. Your repeater is just to use while you are in some spell cool downs.

Also what arcane feats are you using?
    Only ones an Arti really needs are Quicken and Maximize.
    If you are going full caster mode then you can make an argument for Empower and maybe Enlarge. Heighten you shouldn't both with cause the best Arti spells are already 6th level spells so Heighten doesn't help. So if you have Empower and Enlarge that is going to hit you in the ranged feats. I am not sure you will get that much milage out of either of those though and you could drop to help you in some of the feats. If you have heighten I'd drop that.

Also I have been pretty satisfied with the Epic Calomel Repeater from the House C challenges till you farm out a alchemical or Needle.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)