Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you all like Sagas?

I don't know if it is because there were problems with the roll out or if the exploit pushed it to page three, but I have not read as much about the Saga feature as I would have expected.

The rewards are kind of boring but appropriate. I would like to see some actual items added such as new cosmetic shield (for all shields ) and helmet kits.

Most of our guild play recently has been centered around doing sagas and I would have to think this is a good thing.

On the whole do you all like the new Sagas?

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by GrayScioto View Post
    I don't know if it is because there were problems with the roll out or if the exploit pushed it to page three, but I have not read as much about the Saga feature as I would have expected.

The rewards are kind of boring but appropriate. I would like to see some actual items added such as new cosmetic shield (for all shields ) and helmet kits.

Most of our guild play recently has been centered around doing sagas and I would have to think this is a good thing.

I like it, it's free icing on the cake of quests I was doing anyway. I'd have no problem with them throwing in some cosmetic gear reward options as long as it was in addition to the xp/renown/skill tomes that are already there, and not a replacement.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GrayScioto View Post

They promote certain kind of gameplay by giving you additional stuff for it.

I played that kind of gameplay long before sagas were introduced. So for me, its free stuff. I am happy bout it.

That said - those two heroic sagas in eveningstar are kinda... worthless, lets face it. You will have to do a ton of quests, some of them are hard as hell (What goes up), some of them are annoing as hell (Lost in Swamp) and most of them are so much not worth it experience-wise (basically entire Wheloon except for Friends in Low Places and entire Stormhorns except for Break in Ice... also, entire Druid chain and most of the Highroad quests), that if you are actually running it fr renown, you can get it much easier and faster. If you are running it for exp, you can get it SO MUCH MORE FASTER. If you are running it for tomes... well. you can get those easier on epic tiers and with better bonus. So, except for OCDC reasons, I see no reason to ever run those two heroic.

To summarize:

Sagas are awesome, as they are free stuff.
    I am excited about them. I want them all.
    I dont recommend ppl to run those two heroic ones from Eve.
    I see very little point in running Epic ones on elite if it is tomes you are after.
    There is definietly room for improvement, but as they are free stuff, I am happy about them.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

I don't run stuff specifically for Saga rewards, but I like the extra stuff I get while doing things I'd do anyway.
    It's definitely an N-word.

I and my two guildies are enjoying the sagas. Especially because of the large guild renown turn in when we are done. Can't beat it.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo; LOOON; Hobaggin; Fuglyrobo; Buttscracher; Whoaa

Community Member

Default Very much DISLIKE them

I rather dislike them and the reason for that is very simple, the amount of work required to finish most of them (specially the evening star ones) vs the reward gained makes them not worth running each quest required to complete them multiple times.

What they should have done was one of 2 things.
    1.Make the XP you gain for completing a saga a bound to character item (similar to the xp gems from the daily dice) so you can bank it for TRing which would have been beautiful.
    2.Make the XP you gain for it a bound to account item just like the XP gems from the daily dice so you can use it on say characters you hate leveling.

Doing either one of those 2 options (most likely option #2) would have had me and others running sagas much more often and on epic elite to get xp for our TRing and characters we don't particularly enjoy leveling. Now some people will say that is overpowered and wrong but its not, if you take a look at how many quests it takes to run some of those Sagas the ability to get the xp as a gem instead of instantly used when choosing is a nice little bonus. That and it would promote LFMs being put up and people getting their gear and all that stuff.

Community Member

I like the idea of Sagas. However, I have a character that cannot complete the Gianthold saga because the game won't recognize that I've done "A Cabal for One". I've done all the quests there, and been doing cabal several times hoping it will recognize one of the completions.. no go. In game help is down, and putting in a web ticket only got me a response of "you need to use in game help for these issues".

So, I guess I'd like them if the game would actually let me complete them...

Quote Originally Posted by TheGardes View Post
    I like the idea of Sagas. However, I have a character that cannot complete the Gianthold saga because the game won't recognize that I've done "A Cabal for One". I've done all the quests there, and been doing cabal several times hoping it will recognize one of the completions.. no go. In game help is down, and putting in a web ticket only got me a response of "you need to use in game help for these issues".

Ahh, that's a know bug with the quest name - the quest you actually need to do is Crucible. If you ask the saga giver to describe the next quest, the title will be 'Cabal for One', but the description will be Crucible.
    Khyber, Leader of Elite Empire: Veryunique - Wiz20/Epic8 (PM, PL: Clr,Fvs), Skullcrshr - Pal20/Epic8 (PL: Barb, Ftrx2),
    Elsir - Brd12/Ftr4/Rog2/Epic7 (Swash, PL: Rgr,Mnk,Rog,Art,Drd,Clr), TheMadness - Sorc 14 (PL: Sorc, Wiz, Clr)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheGardes View Post

Cabal and Crucible are switched right now. You can completely them all but it will show the wrong ones when you finish both of them.

As for the original topic, I love the sagas. Combined with the daily playthrough bonus they make it very worthwhile to do ONLY gianthold from the earliest level you can handle it through level 16 assuming it takes you a day or more to complete the saga. It may not be the best xp leveling through that range but it's definitely the best guild renown.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

I like them and think they were a great idea on the Devs part.

Gives me another goal to work for.

Just like anything if you focus on the destination and not the journey, you are going to be dissatisfied.

So maybe the xp is not as much as you feel it should be for that many quest, but it is a bonus to the xp you already earn for the quest.
    I really like to option to take guild renown. It works well for guilds working for something like the level needed for a new ship. Especially if you run a saga
    together with your guild mates.

Overall I think they are a positive to the game and we should give the Devs credit for coming up with them and say thanks.

Lord know we blast them enough for various things.

On that note. The new enhancement system was another positive to the game. I know not everything is totally working, but overall another plus to the game.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

I like the idea of sagas, I don't like rewards.

Currently, I've got all important skill tomes for my main, have maximum XP possible and guild above lvl93 (so there is no reason to go higher).
    All rewards are worthless to me. Sure I could complete saga to get some tomes for skill I'm not using right now, but last 3 saga completions I had only +3 swim tome and tomes of skills I already had.
    Its cute that some people like rewards, but sooner or later, they will have max XP and will never need to run sagas again.
    Throwing an ability tome upgrade, random augment, barter items or random named item from quests in saga to reward would be a nice upgrade making sagas worth of repeating.

What I like: Sagas (and the new quest xp ransack mechanic) encourage everyone, especially vets and TRs, to run a wider variety of quests. The rewards are a nice bonus. The later ones are rough on the OCDs among us as they are rather messy to keep up with considering all the overlapping quests.

Right now, partly because they're new, shiny, and interesting, lots of people are running quests that weren't getting run before, and there are tons of groups that are running sagas instead of farming the same quest over and over. This is much more healthy for the game and for player sanity.

We'll know how well they really caught on in a few months when the newness wears off. Meanwhile, they could be easier to keep track of. I can just see new players trying to figure this stuff out. Heck, there have been a few vets that have been asking a lot of questions about them.

The big problem I had after run EE saga in Eveningstar was the icon for the XP reward led me to believe it would appear in my inventory, not be activated on receiving it. This caused me to totally waste my XP reward as I was maxed out at 28, and NOT currently in the Destiny I needed it in! COMPLETELY WASTED!

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    What I like: Sagas (and the new quest xp ransack mechanic) encourage everyone, especially vets and TRs, to run a wider variety of quests. The rewards are a nice bonus. The later ones are rough on the OCDs among us as they are rather messy to keep up with considering all the overlapping quests.
    Current XP changes encourages more to log out after doing few easy and good XP/minute quests and coming back tommorow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    I like the idea of sagas, I don't like rewards.

Currently, I've got all important skill tomes for my main, have maximum XP possible and guild above lvl93 (so there is no reason to go higher).
    All rewards are worthless to me. Sure I could complete saga to get some tomes for skill I'm not using right now, but last 3 saga completions I had only +3 swim tome and tomes of skills I already had.
    Its cute that some people like rewards, but sooner or later, they will have max XP and will never need to run sagas again.
    Throwing an ability tome upgrade, random augment, barter items or random named item from quests in saga to reward would be a nice upgrade making sagas worth of repeating.
    I understand your reasoning for not liking the sagas because you are maxed out and the rewards don't apply to you, but I have to think that you are in the extreme minority when it comes to this problem. Although somebody did suggest cosmetic shields & helms to be added as rewards and I think that would be a neat idea and perhaps serve as a meaningful reward for you and others in your position.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Current XP changes encourages more to log out after doing few easy and good XP/minute quests and coming back tommorow.
    That's still better than running the same quest 8 times in a row, imo. That was just plain boring.

Most of the folks I run with want to play and were caught up in the current of TRs and bored vets just "getting it over with". Now they are actually running more varied quests and finding it to be more fun. There also seems to be more lfms up for a variety of playstyles, and not just "farming, know it" groups. Just sayin'. Feel free to play however you want. I'm not saying I don't occasionally log in and run blades and jungle and then log back out or log a lower level toon. I'm just saying there's more variety now. It may not last, it's still a new concept and the newness may wear off.

Haven't been incentivized to do any, tell the truth.
    Maybe I've just gotten lazy and apathetic in my old age - but I just kinda feel a big ol bundle of 'meh' about em.

I really like sagas. I think the rewards are decent and appropriate. My only issue is the number of sagas with overlapping quests. Gianthold is perfect as it follows a logical path. The others seem to pick and choose at random making it hard to wrap your head around. It's a minor issue that doesn't impact playability but it is a bit confusing.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    That's still better than running the same quest 8 times in a row, imo. That was just plain boring.

Most of the folks I run with want to play and were caught up in the current of TRs and bored vets just "getting it over with". Now they are actually running more varied quests and finding it to be more fun. There also seems to be more lfms up for a variety of playstyles, and not just "farming, know it" groups. Just sayin'. Feel free to play however you want. I'm not saying I don't occasionally log in and run blades and jungle and then log back out or log a lower level toon. I'm just saying there's more variety now. It may not last, it's still a new concept and the newness may wear off.
    Run everything once is old way, and its because of bravery not sagas.
    Daily playthrough is rewarding doing fast and easy quests then coming back tommorow.
    Sagas don't really apply to heroics, as there are only 2, and at higher levels.

As a general concept I really like the sagas, specifically because it does a lot to encourage variety in questing. I have no particular problem with the end rewards as they are ( and disagree vehemently with the idea of XP stones as rewards for these.) The two things that bug me a bit about these are...

1) The placement of the reward givers. Those should be located by the first or last quest giver in the chain, and
    2) The heroic/epic split, in particular with the the Ebberon side of the MOTU chain. That is probably just me, but since I run that chain in heroic levels the only way to complete that saga is to go back an re-run it in epic. Something I am loathe to do as I don't particularly care for part II or III of that one.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast