Thread: Pseudolag

Default Pseudolag

So I'm kinda a new player. Ran Tempest Spine tonite with ten players. Had FPS at 60 for the whole run. Task manager showed ~50% tops. 12GB of memory unused.

Combat was a slideshow. Is that normal?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rykka View Post
    So I'm kinda a new player. Ran Tempest Spine tonite with ten players. Had FPS at 60 for the whole run. Task manager showed ~50% tops. 12GB of memory unused.

no, it's not

there is a new type of lag players are experiencing in games and that is micro stutters. this is often associated with dual graphics card machines. the symptoms are often high FPS but a stuttering in game. it's easy to explain with a dual graphics card, one card is running at full speed, the other is running slowly (either for performance reasons or just the time taken to match the 2 cards together). with one frame drawn fast and the other drawn slow the average draw speed might be fine, hence the good looking FPS. however with one drawn slow that is the one the player will see as stuttering.

all that said i have a similar issue on my single graphics card PC. what i have done is lower the FPS DDO will run at which has smoothed things out. i think for me the sweet spot was 40 FPS, quite smooth on the eye and the stuttering is lessened to a manageable level. it's not silky smooth like it used to be, but i have no idea what is causing the issue so for me this work around has got me playing again.

you can also just turn the graphics settings right down to see if that clears things up. maybe there is one special effect your PC is struggling with? turn em all off until it's smooth, then start turning them on one at a time to find out what is making your PC struggle.

in this line many have turned off environmental shadows due to issues it causes in a few quests, most memorably the shadow crypt and the explorer are under the market (forget the name). don't remember that being an issue tempest spine has.

i put these points last as they tend to show up with poor FPS. you can also look at updating your drivers, sometimes those can come with all sorts of fixes.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Quote Originally Posted by Rykka View Post
    What? You don't think the slow-motion adds drama? It's a feature.

Like the sig says, bring a book to read.
    Bartylomaos and Fwelcyr, of Orien's Forever Knights
    Lag got you down? Do what I do and bring along a good book to read while playing DDO.

I've played a few other MMO's and this is the only one that consistently has LAG.
    Whether it is a slideshow, rubber-banding or just flat out stop-and-go it affects my game almost every time I play.
    So yeah, for me it is normal.

When I finally move on due to game attrition, LAG aggravation will be one of the primary reasons.

If you are not already using it, try the preloader:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...eload-official

Even if it doesn't help the issue, at least things will load faster.

I get that same lag I call it "Pulse" lag where you don't actually stop but you speed up, slow down speed up. Drives me freakin nuts. But. I play a lot of other games and in the last year I noticed this getting worse and worse in everything. Personally I think it has to do with all this Govt spy **** and the hacker groups countering clogging up net traffic. But will just have to wait n see I spose.
    Why after every update to the games I play do I constantly have to pick more pieces of the nerf bat from the back of my skull. Abolish corporate involvement in gaming now.