Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by starhawk_6699 View Post
    Yeah those were the good old days of D&D.

Actually Bards started as Fighters then changed to Thieves between level 5 and 8 then to Druid at level 5-8. Then you started as a true Bard.
    They were incredibly difficult to get in the first place since you needed to have 15 in Str, Dex, and Cha, also had to have 12 Int and 10 Con.
    They were considered overpowered by alot of DM.
    Most of their best abilities are useless in DDO. They had language skill and item knowledge and Legend Lore (% chance to identify magic items). Valuable tools in a setting were stuff isn't labled for your convience.
    Not to mention Mutli-class were EXTREMELY limited by race restrictions and level limits in this edition.
    Always wanted to play a Bard back then but never could get the scores for one.
    As you say todays Bards are a whole different creature. Still I like playing mine, its a fun class to play most of the time.
    I played one in a fairly long lasting campaign with a highly intelligent DM who was about a fair a person as someone could be. I think he hated that character because it was so bloody good, but I worked at it. I even fought florentine style (now called dual wielding) way before anyone had even heard of such a thing. Sure, the rogue was a better rogue, and the dwarf was a better tank, and the cleric was a better healer. But if you asked any of those characters who they would pick if they could have one toon covering their backs, it was the bard.

We had a really good role playing rogue in the group as well. He always hated dungeons as the risk (for him) was too high compared to the payoff. He and I, and a couple other folks ended up drifting off into an above ground thieving campaign. We taxed the DM's imagination, but it was great fun. We would sometimes spends weeks planning something and have it play out in a couple hours. But that was the beauty of AD&D 1.0, it was a lot more open ended.

Bards in DDO have nearly all their special abilities neutered by video game mechanics. Red names are always immune to anything a bard can do to them, except swing a sword. That ain't right. But the fact that they're always immune to assassination, FoD, sneakiness, charms, illusions, undead turning, etc is wrong as well. If the red name needs to be immune to something, it should be circumstantial... that is based on environment, items he may be using, (and might be looted after his demise!) or by the security he surrounds himself with whether it's traps, anti rogue characters, an army, or whatever. The red name boss mechanic is a lazy derivative of early video games. It rewards high DPS characters, and either weakens or completely castrates character classes that are not dps based. Less imagination and problem solving and MOAR sword swinging!

The part that always bugged me about paladins in dnd is that a paladin is essentially a holy warrior for a god. Gods in dnd can be lawful chaotic good evil and everything in between. To me it would make more sense for a pally to have to match their deity's alignment not just restricted to lg.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    The part that always bugged me about paladins in dnd is that a paladin is essentially a holy warrior for a god. Gods in dnd can be lawful chaotic good evil and everything in between. To me it would make more sense for a pally to have to match their deity's alignment not just restricted to lg.
    Which is why Bladeforged have bugged me since they were introduced And Drow have, since always...

You're a LG devotee of a NE deity...

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by starhawk_6699 View Post
    Yeah those were the good old days of D&D.

Actually Bards started as Fighters then changed to Thieves between level 5 and 8 then to Druid at level 5-8. Then you started as a true Bard.
    They were incredibly difficult to get in the first place since you needed to have 15 in Str, Dex, and Cha, also had to have 12 Int and 10 Con.
    They were considered overpowered by alot of DM.
    Most of their best abilities are useless in DDO. They had language skill and item knowledge and Legend Lore (% chance to identify magic items). Valuable tools in a setting were stuff isn't labled for your convience.
    Not to mention Mutli-class were EXTREMELY limited by race restrictions and level limits in this edition.
    Always wanted to play a Bard back then but never could get the scores for one.
    As you say todays Bards are a whole different creature. Still I like playing mine, its a fun class to play most of the time.

I really liked it back when I first played dnd and we didn't know if something was magic or what its effects truly were it was even fun getting the occasional cursed item and not knowing it. I tried having a bard back in the old days never quite made it all the way . I have one now but don't play her much that she has hit 20 but then I don't play much at all right now to much home work for my MS. But bards are good and yes they are fun.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    I have always thought that the other alignments should have had their own special champion back in the day and yes I know about the dragon article that had them but they were for most part unbalanced.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12