Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Agents of STORM

Default Catch-Up Group on Thursday??

Anyone with alts, or those that did not make it Sunday, need to catch up on Thursday night? Sherokee, my cleric, will be in the Wayward Lobster about 8:00PM.

Default Advice for Lurch....

Advice for Lurch -
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    Walk in the back. Don't sneak. When the monsters wander up to see what that noise is, they will see you and head for you. Just stand there and wait for them to get close enough for the axe to swing. If that's not good enough, get out of sneak mode as soon as the monsters start getting close and run up to bash 'em.

Based on my recent reading of the rogue survival guide, I'll be adjusting my play style and hanging out closer to you in hopes you draw aggro so I can backstab.
    Now, that sounds like a plan! Lurch simply cannot Move Silently, nor Hide effectively. Case closed. Move Silently does serve a purpose in keeping him from accidently getting in front when he needs to be behind the crowd, but switching out and getting into fighting mode with access to Intimidate takes valuable time if you are using my stiff old fingers and slow reflexes.

If the Scout can drag the bad guys back near Lurch, he can Intimidate, draw their interest, and the Backstabbing can commence! Just beware of that large blade in his hands, as it will be in the battle as well!

Thanks!

-Sam and Lurch.

2015 DDO Players Council Hazelnut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrowsworD View Post
    Anyone with alts, or those that did not make it Sunday, need to catch up on Thursday night? Sherokee, my cleric, will be in the Wayward Lobster about 8:00PM.
    I made it on Sunday. Like OMG I actually showed up (and gawd I sound like I'm 16 years old or something). So, I won't actually be there on Thursday but thanks. :-)
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Book_O_Dragons View Post
    We had a new member join last Sunday. He said he was much more comfortable as a tank build and probably would forget to heal as much as he should. He had made a cleric because he thought that was a needed party role.

If you are thinking of joining please make a character that you are comfortable playing not a character that is just meant to fill a party role.
    You will have more fun.
    Yep. I second that. We can always find alternatives to a cleric (or rogue or having tanks in the party) but the alternatives to fun are harder to deal with.

That being said, if you have never been a cleric (or tank, or rogue, or whatever) and want to try it even though you might not be very good at it, that is totally okay too. You are allowed to be a cleric that is slow to heal or a tank that forgets to use intimidate to get the mobs off the casters. Skills (even gaming skills) take time and practice. As long as we are having fun.
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 10-31-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: "off" has two effs.

Default An unfamiliar Character finds a home in STORM.

Playing a character type you are unfamiliar with can be a real pain. Learning the "ropes" in "normal" play will have you eating headache tablets like M&M's.... or seeking solace in a stone jug of XXX corn likker like me! Well, that does not have to be, because STORM is a perfect place to explore that new class, and get a feel for what it can, and cannot do, at a much slower pace than a PUG, or in a Zerg-fest guild.

I give you Lurch, the Paladin as a great example! Having never played a rapid-fire, button-pushing, short timed clickie heavy Paladin seriously ( though I have a multi-class pally/rogue experiment ) I am finding STORM's slow pace and helpfully tolerant members perfect for learning and experimenting with the multitude of Paladin skills, feats, enhancements, and "toys". I am sure the same would apply to any class/race combo you'd care to dabble in.

Come on in, the water is fine! Get your toes wet here in the shallow end, and you may surprise yourself by swimming powerfully in the deep end sooner than you think, though I do recommend removing heavy plate armor first!

-Sam

Community Member Book_O_Dragons's Avatar

Default A Time Reminder

With the clocks changing for the end of Daylight Savings Time we are now in time zone GMT-5.
    We are still using the time as it is in Boston, MA/New York, NY and most of the United States changed as well so this reminder is mostly for overseas members.
    The worst problem on the DDO forums right now

Primary Server: Khyber ~~~ Officer in Knights of Kern

Default A bit of planning and a little plot

It was suggested this past Sunday that I prepare quest plan. It was probably a bit foolish of me to volunteer but I did, and I have. Since I like a bit of role-play in an MMORPG, I'm wrapping the quests around a bit of plot. If you don't care about my story, just read the bullet points for the quests.

A group of strangers that were down on their luck and trapped on the unnaturally icy Korthos Island have banded together and become friends. Each of them, for their own reasons, was headed to the city of Stormreach. Upon arriving in Stormreach, they step onto the docks, only to discover that the fabled city is not exactly as they expected. The city has been overrun by refugees. Not only the many people trapped on Korthos Island, but farmers and villagers from the surrounding area have all fled to Stormreach seeking safety. Something is very wrong.

Having little luck following their independent plans, the group of friends find each other again in the chaos of Stormreach and decide to once again band together. As a mercenary group they may find more opportunities for paying jobs in these hard times. The group dubs themselves "The Agents of STORM" and use a tavern near the harbor as their unofficial headquarters. From a table in the back of the Wayward Lobster the team pools their resources to live, and hopefully prosper.

With so much strife, work is abundant for a willing group of adventurers and soon the Agents of STORM are helping some of the refugees.

Sunday November 10
    • The Captives
    • Where There's Smoke...
    • Kobold Assault

The bravery and willingness of the Agents of STORM does not go unnoticed. They are approached by the Harbormaster to help supplement his regular guards on dangerous missions.

Sunday November 17
    • The Kobold's Den (parts 1 and 2)

Sunday November 24 - Since we may have a reduced group due to the US Thanksgiving weekend, this might be a short-handed group
    • The Swiped Signet
    • Redfang the Unruled
    • anything level 2 that people are missing
    • OR The Catacombs instead (at 'Dragons suggestion)

Sunday December 1
    • Venn's Trail (parts 1 and 2)

At this point we need to make a decision on how the story goes. Note, all of these choices must be purchased. I want us to choose in advance so that those who aren't VIP have plenty of time to purchase the quest chain.

1. Follow the clue Venn left - Seals of Shan-to-Kor
    2. Leverage our connections with the city guard - The Sharn Syndicate
    3. The Clerics & Paladins in the group insist we need to help the church - The Catacombs
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 11-07-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Community Member Book_O_Dragons's Avatar

I really would like to run catacombs but I'm worried that we will have outleveled it by that point.
    I volunteer guest passes for 2 members to complete catacombs if we do it Thanksgiving Weekend. I really like the chain but it's not popular enough to ever do it full bravery streak.
    The worst problem on the DDO forums right now

Primary Server: Khyber ~~~ Officer in Knights of Kern

I must say I am VERY intruiged by this.. But I have a few questions!

1. Is there any room left in any groups?
    2. Which server? (Sorry, a bit lazy..)
    3. Do you RP to some degree?
    4. Do you think it would be possible to make a guild based on these rules? Like, more of a semi-static group (don't quest outside of the guild etc) or something like that?

Just curious! If I am intruding this thread, please PM me and we talk further there.. Good luck!
    | Theln Silverhilt & Arbel Aldrenn|
    The Journeymen - A roleplaying guild on Sarlona:
    http://thejourneymen.shivtr.com/

Co-host of Sarlona Sundays! Open roleplay event every sunday around 6PM GMT.

You are certainly welcome to join. Usually we are never 2 full 6 man groups.

Wayfinder is the server.

There is some RP.

We have a guild Agents of Storm and for the most part we only quest together, unless u have to solo to catch up for missing a night.

If you are interested in joining please reply to thread. We run Sundays 8pm EST.

I would love to give it a shot!
    But static groups isn't fully my deal as I like to be free and run when I can... But then again, I guess I can do that with my other characters!

Anyway, 8PM EST won't work for me becuase I am european.. I'll consider it if my schedules change!
    Good luck, happy questing!

Default Short a few quests & Level separation.

Folks,

At the end of yesterday's planned quests the group I was in, was asked about any missing L2 quests and we ran one (or two) to help people catch up. Also, a quick look at the Level(s) in the guild, we are ranging from level 2 through level 6 (although I think our one L2 has been missing a few weeks). The level spread is not a problem yet, but much more than 2 levels can result in issues. To that end, I would like to suggest (this is only a suggestion) that we all get to Level 4 or 5 by next Sunday.

For my part, I'm missing the following L2 quests and will run through them this Tuesday starting at 7pm. Anyone who would like to join me (on main or alt) is welcome to join me. These will "catch me up" and should get me close to L5.

• The Sunken Sewer (from marketplace)
    • Missing in Action (Marketplace)
    • Information is Key (Harbor)
    • Stealthy Repossession (Harbor)

I have not yet succeeded in Stealthy Repossession, so any hints would be nice. I've got a couple of potions of invisibility which might help, but that's about it.

Default Deaths (musings about this past Sunday)

The team I was in yesterday suffered a couple of deaths and during both of the quests in the Cerulean Hills our Cleric commented that he was "down to echos". Both character death and heavy reliance on our Clerics' abilities to heal us are part of the limited resources game style we have set for ourselves in this group. I do think we could (probably) do better, though. To that end, I would like (us all) to discuss some ideas on how to approach quests.

As an example, our 3rd quest for the night (Kobold Assault) had more organization to it (although we did still lose someone). Specifically, we had a brief discussion about how to approach this quest and we followed the technique suggested by one of our team members. The suggestion amounted to a specific set of ambushes to take out the Kobolds before they could attack us (for the most part).

My thought is that a slower and more well planned approach to our quests might work better. Specifically, organize our parties (for a generic dungeon craw) with the stealthy characters taking the lead to identify traps & clusters of baddies. Once identified, they inform the rest of the party and the party sets an ambush. Using Bluff and "pinging" individual baddies to pull them out of a cluster and back to the ambush. This should let us take out the baddies easier with reduced injury to ourselves. This also give time to plan each attack and to make better use of buffs from our casters.

Some quests may require a different technique. For example the Kobold Assault quest; although we used ambushes we did not need stealth. Similarly, a more risky (but quicker) approach to timed quests would be appropriate. I am simply suggesting some guidelines for discussion here. So, what are your thoughts?

Braxyn is extremely unhappy with one of our group from last night. I will not be so gruff as to name names, you, and all in the group know.

You “died” multiple times last night, making our presence known to all enemies in the area and p!55ing them off just before you took the deep sleep to la-la land. You were told, on multiple occasions, to stop running ahead, to slow down, to stick with the group – which you ignored and put our cleric and others in harm’s way. This is not a solo adventure. This is not an outing for your pleasure to do as you want and be @#^^@& with the others.

We did persevere; rescued that woman and saved the man’s farm, although the one dog died and we didn’t find the others. At the keep, all those kobolds nearly tore us a new one or two, but we got through that one with several close calls.

We need new tactics to meet the situations we will face soon. No more running ahead of everyone, no more “deaths” because we were caught by a mob of enemies. We must play smart from now on or death will become a more permanent member of our group.

Drinks all round …. the dead guys buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    Folks,

For my part, I'm missing the following L2 quests and will run through them this Tuesday starting at 7pm. Anyone who would like to join me (on main or alt) is welcome to join me. These will "catch me up" and should get me close to L5.

• The Sunken Sewer (from marketplace)
    • Missing in Action (Marketplace)
    • Information is Key (Harbor)
    • Stealthy Repossession (Harbor)

I have not yet succeeded in Stealthy Repossession, so any hints would be nice. I've got a couple of potions of invisibility which might help, but that's about it.
    I can run on Thursdays with my alt cleric, Sherokee. She needs Sunken Sewer and Missing in Action and Stealthy Repossession. I am tempted to skip SR since I am not stealthy and those kobolds give Sherokee the creeps (koboldphobia). With the right, small group we may be able to succeed however, using invisibility, protection, healing, and speed. I am willing to give it a shot.

The best way to get through SR may be with stealth, healing, protection (barkskin, blur) and some crowd control (fear, web, hypnosis) to keep the mobs off as much as possible and remove as much damage as possible.

Braxyn is extremely unhappy with one of our group from last night. I will not be so gruff as to name names, you, and all in the group know.

You “died” multiple times last night, making our presence known to all enemies in the area and p!55ing them off just before you took the deep sleep to la-la land. You were told, on multiple occasions, to stop running ahead, to slow down, to stick with the group – which you ignored and put our cleric and others in harm’s way. This is not a solo adventure. This is not an outing for your pleasure to do as you want and be @#^^@& with the others.

We did persevere; rescued that woman and saved the man’s farm, although the one dog died and we didn’t find the others. At the keep, all those kobolds nearly tore us a new one or two, but we got through that one with several close calls.

We need new tactics to meet the situations we will face soon. No more running ahead of everyone, no more “deaths” because we were caught by a mob of enemies. We must play smart from now on or death will become a more permanent member of our group.

Drinks all round …. the dead guys buying.

You know people are running ahead when Lurch is the one yelling "slow down everyone!"

I thought we only had two deaths last night: Stormsinger in Captives, and Shuvall in Kobold Assualt. Captives started off a bit chaotically, but Storm's death helped us settle into a better pace. I think Shuvall just got a bad roll at the end there. He went down with literally 3 kobolds left to go.

Didn't we all survive Where there is smoke? I think I was the one who enraged the first dog. Dallog's intimidate failed and the dog got mad, but then when I tried to drag it toward the farmer, the pets had it blocked in and made short work of it. TBH I think that ended up being a good thing since Dallog could care less about farmer's dogs, and it meant we didn't spend time and resources trying to find the other two.

I'm a little confused why the hubbub over a couple of deaths in each group, especially since the groups still completed the quests. The only people really negatively impacted are the players who died. Is it our goal that no one will ever die in a quest?

On another note, Dallog is looking for any sort of great club or maul. He has a vanilla club one from the Hammer & Chain, but he's had no luck finding a magic one. If any agents of storm pull a maul or club they don't want, Dallog is willing to trade for it. Likewise, if anyone is looking for a particular weapon or armor, let Dallog know and he'll keep an eye open. He's been pulling a lot of sickles lately, so if anyone has a hankering for those...

I can run on Thursdays with my alt cleric, Sherokee. She needs Sunken Sewer and Missing in Action and Stealthy Repossession. I am tempted to skip SR since I am not stealthy and those kobolds give Sherokee the creeps (koboldphobia). With the right, small group we may be able to succeed however, using invisibility, protection, healing, and speed. I am willing to give it a shot.

The best way to get through SR may be with stealth, healing, protection (barkskin, blur) and some crowd control (fear, web, hypnosis) to keep the mobs off as much as possible and remove as much damage as possible.

Dallog needs sunken sewer and missing in action. Stealthy repossession does not sound like Dallog's mug of beer since it is hard to be discriminating whilst cleaving with a great axe, but he's willing to try to help anyone else who wants to run it.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    You know people are running ahead when Lurch is the one yelling "slow down everyone!"

I'm a little confused why the hubbub over a couple of deaths in each group, especially since the groups still completed the quests. The only people really negatively impacted are the players who died. Is it our goal that no one will ever die in a quest?
    I'm not immediately concerned with the deaths themselves. These things will happen. It is my understanding that the STORM group was built to play the game through superior tactics and limit magic. From what I saw, except for once, the group I was in simply charged through the quests. In lower level quests (like we are doing now) this is not a big deal but in a couple of levels, it will be a problem. Now is the time to develop and practice our teamwork and techniques so we are ready for the harder quests to come.

Default Death and taxes... er... tactics....

Deaths will happen to even careful and experienced people, as Shuvall's unfortunate situation proves. A terrible piece of luck on the part of a practically dead Kobold at the very end of the battle! Lurch was truly stunned and heartbroken over the loss.

Still, death of a fellow adventurer is to be prevented if at all possible, Olladra willing, and the creek don't rise just as you are neck deep while wearing plate armor. If you need reasons, let me suggest that death plays havoc with the dead character's ability to complete some future chains, slows progress in gaining experience points, and leaves the party weaker by one dead person who provided one now missing set of critical skills and abilities. A dead character is not contributing to either their own progress, or to the progress of the others in the party and guild. Avoid death!

=====

The Cleric cannot rescue us from lucky monsters, nor can the Cleric keep everyone in long red bars with echos of power alone. Others must be ready to assist if possible. Lurch is a case in point.

The Paladin Lurch has very few spell points to use with his new Cure light Wounds spell, and only four Lay On Hands for those close enough to benefit. To be honest, I am still getting used to the idea that he can cast heals and use LOH in emergencies. He is generally too busy slicing and dicing evil critters to pay attention to his own HP bar, much less that of party members. He is a work in progress, and has much yet to learn about his duties. He prays that he will get better, quickly!

=====

We do need better tactics for engaging the enemy under a wide variety of circumstances. Exploring wilderness areas as a tight group instead of a widely scattered bunch of individuals is one place to start. Blue dots at the north, south, east, and west edges of the map are just asking for individual disasters! Leaving Lurch standing in front of a cave for ten minutes before telling him "I've already cleaned that one out" is not the way to garner favor with the old man either. When you rush ahead to "clean out" monster dens, you are zerging, not playing as a part of a team of five or six. FYI, a wilderness area is soloable, but not on game night, and not when in a party that has people who also need the XP from rares, explorers, and kills. A team works together.

Hazelnut has some good points about "how-to" on dealing with monsters in quests. We should all think about recent events, and how to play smarter.

-Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post

I thought we only had two deaths last night: Stormsinger in Captives, and Shuvall in Kobold Assualt. Captives started off a bit chaotically, but Storm's death helped us settle into a better pace. I think Shuvall just got a bad roll at the end there. He went down with literally 3 kobolds left to go.

Didn't we all survive Where there is smoke? I think I was the one who enraged the first dog. Dallog's intimidate failed and the dog got mad, but then when I tried to drag it toward the farmer, the pets had it blocked in and made short work of it. TBH I think that ended up being a good thing since Dallog could care less about farmer's dogs, and it meant we didn't spend time and resources trying to find the other two.

I also am not concerned with the deaths. My own death was due to not being careful and watching the kill clock. At 3 kills left, I got hammered by a lightning bolt from the last shaman as I was going for him. The lightning bolt forked and I died by lack of hit points
    Like a crit, it happens and you deal with it. I had been dodging them all night long and this one had my name on it. No big deal.

What does have me a little concerned is that I cannot heal if I cannot see you.
    Simply put. You all know the drill.
    Running ahead is not good mojo, but we hopefully all learn from it and move on.

I am not trying to sound like a jerk and I'm not blaming anyone, but I am not a nanny bot. I am not a cleric hireling and I run out of sp quickly unless we think out our approaches to fights.
    I will gladly heal you if you take damage, but if I can't see you, then "Incomming hjeals" aint gonna happen.
    Like I said, I don't want to sound like a jerk, and if anyone has a problem with me, please come and talk to me. I take criticism well enough and if you know me, you'll know I'm a pretty nice laid back guy.

I only need Stealthy Repo, Missing in Action and Sunken Sewer. so I will probably be on with either Shuvall or my rogue, Barjazzat. Losing out on a little xp isn't going to kill me.

To any Vets in AoS, It's Veterans/Armistice Day.
    Please know that you are remembered not just this day, but every day, for your service, dedication and commitment.

To all non Vets out there, if you see or know one, shake his/her hand, give them a sloppy wet kiss or a little sunthin sunthin. Whatever you think is appproprite

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast