Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agents of STORM

Hybrid View

Default Agents of STORM

This is to announce the reboot of the low magic, gear restricted, D&D style gameplay group of STORM, which itself was an initiative brought forth by THACO guild members and other players wishing to try out the gamestyle.

For those unfamiliar with the ideaology behind this gamestyle it is simply this:

To take the magic rich, Monty Haul bonanaza of items and min/maxed, ship buffed, geared upped "toons" that permeate DDO and reduce-limit-restrict-bend them to more resemble old school PnP D&D. The exact nature of "old school" differs depending on who you ask, but I think it is safe to assume that we all wish for the same kind of "feel" to the game. It's not any particular edition of D&D that you might have used, since others may have used another. It's hard to articulate, but we all know it when we experience brief moments of it. That feeling of adventure and challenge with your team mates. Winning against tough odds facing a plethora of creatures. The joy of finding loot, gear and weapons that are wondrous in nature but oh so rare to come by. Gaining experience to become the type of adventurer character [not TOON] that you've envisioned. Be it a traditional pure class or some imaginative hybrid, you wish to imbue a character with abilities and history and tales to tell.

Agents Manifesto:

Classes and Races:
    - Allowed races include everything f2p and Drow, Helf, Horc [not Warforged].
    - Allowed classes include everything f2p [not Arti, Druid, Monk, FvSoul].
    - Multiclassing is allowed but with no more than 2 levels difference between classes.

Character creation:
    Whatever random method of number generation you feel comfortable with and FITS THE IDEA OF PnP. One suggestion is -

example is dwarf character

Step 1: Roll 1d6 six times (one 1d6 per stat)

roll #1: 1 build points (BPs)
    roll #2: 2 BPs
    roll #3: 1 BPs
    roll #4: 5 BPs
    roll #5: 3 BPs
    roll #6: 2 BPs

Total BPs rolled are 14. I have 18 remaining.

Step 2: place racial modifiers to stats, assign build points (in any order) to stats and add to base stat. Stat = modbase + build points.

STR: 8 + 5 BPs = 13
    DEX: 8 + 2 BPs = 10
    CON: 10 + 3 BPs = 13
    INT: 8 + 2 BPs = 10
    WIS: 8 + 1 BPs = 9
    CHA: 6 + 1 BPs = 7

Step 3: Allocate remaining build points as desired.

STR: 13 + 8BPs = 17
    DEX: 10 + 1Bp = 11
    CON: 13 + 7BPs = 18
    INT: 10 + 2 BPs = 12
    WIS: 9
    CHA: 7

JUST NO MIN/MAX.

Death Consequence:
    CHOICE 1
    a dead character unable to be raised - rides in the pack of another until the end of the quest. The shade of the fallen following along until just before the end. [Or may exit the quest if so desires and solo in a wilderness, purely for adventure and not loot.] The dead character misses out on chest loot and the action but gets to share the adventure as a spirit. Near the end of the quest the dead character must release before the finish.

Result - The dead are carried by another. Release before completion.
    No XP. No loot. No loss of gear.

CHOICE 2
    a dead character unable to be raised - rides in the pack of another until the end of the quest. The shade of the fallen following along until just before the end. The dead character misses out on chest loot and the action but gets to share the adventure as a spirit. After quest completion the dead release. The dead character will choose his highest ML item [or 1 of his highest if multiple items have same ML], post it in party chat so that the group may see what it is, and then destroy it.

Result - The dead are carried by another. The shade of the fallen following along, and finishes with the party. The fallen destroy the highest ML item in possession after Release. He must declare what item and show it in party chat so that all may see, and destroy it.
    Full XP. No loot. Loss of highest ML gear [destroyed].

AUTOMATIC
    a dead character, whose soul stone is unable to be retrieved shall be left behind. He must Release from the quest.

Result - The dead are left behind if their stone is unretrievable. They must Release immediately from the quest. After Release they must destroy ALL items EQUIPPED only.
    No XP. No loot. Loss of all equipped gear. [destroyed]

Shrines:
    Level 1-7 = no shrine use - Echoes of Power will keep you running.
    Level 8-14 = 1 shrine use per quest for mana restoration only - caster needs to be nearly fully healed [no more than 10hp down] before use.
    Level 15-20 = no shrine use - by this time a dedicated caster should have SLA's and/or the ability to restore some magic.

Chests and Looting:
    - ALL chests get 1, 1d6 roll. A 1 [16.6% chance] only allows the chest to be looted by all. Roll by round robin, starting with party leader at the first chest.
    - End Rewards can only be taken for Chained quests, otherwise select Valor.
    - Any loot drops from crates or barrels can be kept by the breaker.

Gear and packs:
    - No gear or magic items may be bought at vendors, pawn shops or AH.
    - No gear or magic items may come in from the DDO store or other characters from outside the group.
    - No "admin" or "heirloom" items.
    - total number of gear/items equipped and carried = ML total.

Level 1-5; ML = level x 2
    Level 6-10; ML = level x3
    Level 11-15; ML = level x4
    Level 16-20; ML = level x5

- Fortification items get reduced ML. Multiply ML by the fort %, and round up.

Weapon sets equipped and carried in pack:
    - Whatever seems appropriate and fits the role play of your character.

SOME SUGGESTIONS -
    - 2 main weapons
    - 2 secondary weapons [light at most]
    - 1 shield carried
    - other shield [stowed]
    - 1 bow [xbow]
    - 1 quiver [wide or narrow]

- Each player only gets to CARRY INTO A QUEST, ONE article of gear for each armor/wearable equip slot that is large and or covers the body. So ONE piece of armor, outfit or robe, ONE headgear, ONE set of bracers, ONE cloak, ONE set of boots.

- Each player can CARRY INTO A QUEST, two pair of smaller items, so TWO pair of Gloves, Rings, Necklaces, Trinkets, etc.

- the FIRST pack tab is the ONLY tab accessible WHILE IN A QUEST OR WILDERNESS. The others act as quick banks or pack mule or porter or whatever you wish to role play [NOTE this means acquired items in quest can be PUT INTO other tabs to carry, just not ACCESSIBLE.] Only Magic Ingredients are the exception and may be carried in any tab.

- If a character is lucky enough to acquire a Portable Hole, that converted pack space could be used as such. Any bags such as Gems, Collectibles or Essences that are gotten in game are allowed [from quest givers or vendors], but cannot be purchased through the DDO store.

Potions:
    - No potions of any type may be bought from vendors, AH or alts.
    - Found potions of any type can be kept, but are limited to 5 STACKS of 16 of any type brought into a quest AT START. = 5 pint sized canteens/flagons. They can be carried from quest to quest.

Healing/cure items can be obtained from collectors provided you got the collectibles from questing. No collectibles (or rewards from collectibles) allowed from outside sources such as AH or alts.

Wands and Scrolls:
    - Wands and Scrolls found in quests can be used within the quest and can be kept from quest to quest. The ML level COUNTS towards ML total.

Odds and Ends:
    - Finish and Recall OK
    - movement mode, as fits the situation
    - any enhancement choice

The spirit of PnP D&D is the desired goal of Agents of STORM. We choose to limit ourselves in this gamespace called DDO, in an attempt to recapture the imagination, adventure, challenge and comraderie that made playing PnP D&D so much fun.

The gloomy Darkness of Shadowfell spills out onto the streets and lands of Stormreach, clutching at the hearts of all good people.

Look to the horizon citizens. An approaching STORM will soon wash over the city, cleansing it of evil. And when we pass, the dawn of a new day will shine out all the brighter.
    Last edited by zefjoe; 10-12-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Dallog Legslasher is in sunny side Korthos.

L1 Halfling barb (28 point build)

STATS:

STR: 14
    DEX: 14
    CON: 14
    INT: 13
    WIS: 10
    CHA: 9

ITEMS:

Ember great axe
    Garbage starter chain armor
    Ring of water breathing
    Ember bow
    100 arrows.
    5 starter CLW pots

PLAT: 0

Community Member

I am very interested in the Guidelines you have come up with.
    The following is merely a "bottom line" so-to-speak, describing the resulting environment you've created.

Stats begun with a very average (random) profile. Usually 9-16.
    Full use of Enhancement Trees in whatever fashion desired.

Treasure from any given Quest will include....
    • Rare item(s) found in breakables. (Guessing <5% per breakable?)
    • Rare chance (16%) to find Treasure among belongings of slain Monsters. (Chests)
    • Rewards from Chained Quests will assure 1 Magic Item per adventure.

ML value restricts how much "gear" a character is able to bring into a Quest, but is also restricted by the types and/or location of use.
    • Level 5 = 10 ML's worth of Gear.
    • Level 10 = 30 ML's worth of gear.
    • Level 15 = 60 ML's worth of gear.
    • Level 20 = 100 ML's worth of gear.

Death consequence will cause 1 of 3 results.....
    • Complete loss of any XP and Treasure for the adventure, plus 100% of any equiped items. (If Soul Stone Unrecoverable)
    • Complete loss of any XP and Treasure for the adventure only. (If soul stone recoverable)
    • Loss of highest ML item Equiped in return for Quest Completion and XP, but no Treasure.

Only Characters Level 8-14 may "rest, pray and regain their spells" once per quest as long as they are not injured seriously enough to prevent such action.

Characters may not pack more Armor and Weapons than what would realistically be packed by a character heading out on a long journey on foot.

Default Plumbic Battlebeard; dwarf paladin...

Str 15
    Dex 12
    Con 13
    Int 10
    Wis 14
    Cha 11

Battleworn Breasplate and Ember Greataxe

OMG there are about 80 people on Wayfinder as I write this.

Turns out Cha 11 isn't enough to cast LOH.
    Last edited by LeadHero5; 10-14-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHero5 View Post
    Str 15
    Dex 12
    Con 13
    Int 10
    Wis 14
    Cha 11

Battleworn Breasplate and Ember Greataxe

OMG there are about 80 people on Wayfinder as I write this.

That's 30 more than when I did mine.

Default Lurch, of The Flames Reburials

Lurch is from Thrane, now a destitute human Paladin of The Silver Flame, currently dressed in hand-me-down battle worn breastplate and armed with a Great Axe. He is currently looking to replace his beloved Longbow, which was lost in a shipwreck off the coast of Korthos Island. Once a lowly gravedigger in Sigilstar, now recruited to the ranks of the Flame's Reburial Services, he battles Undead wherever they rise from their rest.

STR 15
    DEX 10
    CON 14
    INT 10
    WIS 14
    CHA 15

Default Group 1

Group 1

Veirr..(sp?) cleric
    Lurch pal
    Dallog barb
    Quarrel rog/ran

Completed the Korthos village quests on elite, explorers, rares, and flagging quests on elite. We were able to hit level 3 by the night's end.

We had one death (nearly a party wipe) when Quarrel blew the trap box in Stopping the Sahaugin, and the entire group was enveloped in a firey blast that singed everyone's hair down to the short and curlies and burned half of V's face off before she fell face first into the muck at our feat.

We were able to complete the quest, but by the time we crawled out of that ventilation shaft we smelled of BBQ and looked like a trio of coal miners with severe alopecia.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post

Treasure from any given Quest will include....
    • Rewards from Chained Quests will assure 1 Magic Item per adventure.

Incorrect. Rewards from Chained quests only assures that a Chain Reward is picked, not the end reward for each quests in the Chain. Thus, you get one guaranteed Reward after running a full Chain of multiple quests.

This helps ensure that everyone eventually gets something they choose, not totally left up to fate or the screwed up new random loot tables. It certainly won't unbalance things, as there are only so many Chains and each one is only run once.

I thought that needed clarification.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Varhann View Post
    Incorrect. Rewards from Chained quests only assures that a Chain Reward is picked, not the end reward for each quests in the Chain. Thus, you get one guaranteed Reward after running a full Chain of multiple quests.

This helps ensure that everyone eventually gets something they choose, not totally left up to fate or the screwed up new random loot tables. It certainly won't unbalance things, as there are only so many Chains and each one is only run once.

I thought that needed clarification.
    Absolutely. As I have never taken a Chain Reward, I was not sure what it was.

Default Braxyn Krulwein T’hal - Agent of STORM - Dwarf Wizard

I am Braxyn Krulwein T’hal, clan member of the Krulwein Mountain dwarves, retainer of the T’hal merchant family, and, now, I am stuck in this strange land. After using a coin trick to entertain the patrons of this lonely little tavern, the barkeep gave me an ale, quill and paper; I believe this is actually an old shipping label from somewhere called StormReach. Oh well, it will do for now.

The T'hal family are not just merchants. They are explorers, makers, procurers of rare, exotic and unusual things from all over the world. This was my first trip as a representative for the T'hal merchants; the Krulwein clan having been retainers for generations.

After an accident lost me the left eye, my position in the family and Clan was uncertain. After I recovered, I began studies with one of the house mages, another retainer of the T’hal family.

I struggled with studies, and longed to be out in the open, not in a dusty workroom or library. I wanted to see the world, not read about it. But I learned my Art and mastered what few thought I was capable of. Finally, a spot on this expedition was open and I was accepted to join.

So here I am, joined with others which Fate has thrown to this small village for various reasons. We have already discerned that there is a dragon about, and a more sinister plot involving some fish-like creatures I have never seen.

My new friends have helped me gain a better weapon, some coin in my pocket, and a purpose to fill my days. Someday I may get a message to my Clan or my family. We shall see what Fate has in store tomorrow. Now it is time for another ale!
    Last edited by DrowsworD; 10-14-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Default Joining Forces - The story of the forming of the Agents of STORM.

This story is inspired by the Agents of STORM static group. The names are borrowed. The rest is complete fiction.

Huddling close to the fireplace in a thin and tattered cloak Sparrow thought for the thousandth time, I'm never going to get off this gods forsaken iceberg of an island. As she shivered wishing the fire were a bit bigger, Sparrow listened to the music being played in the corner.

The bard playing the music was trying to cheer up the cold and depressed patrons. Surprisingly she was having some success. The fishermen were singing along to the more raunchy sea chantys and the serving wenches were actually dancing a little as they delivered watered down ale and thin vegetable soup to the patrons of the Wavecrest Tavern.

She hadn't seen this bard before. The bard must be a recent arrival. That was sad since it meant another ship had been sunk and most of the people on board must have drowned before they could reach the shores of Korthos Island.

The icy shores of Korthos Island were an anomaly in this part of the world. Snow and Ice covered the shore and most of the island while the palm trees struggled to keep growing. It was an unnatural cold. Not mearly unnatural in the sense of odd, but an actual curse. A curse caused by the white dragon that blockaided the island and attacked any ship that tried to approach.

Somehow the locals had managed to protect the lone village on this icy rock from the curse. It snowed in the village at times but the snow never stayed and the gardens continued to grow; slowly and poorly, but enough that the village wasn't starving, not yet anyway.

The bard had finished her set and moved over closer to the fire and bumped Sparrow out of her thoughts. Sparrow slid over on the bench giving the bard room to sit. The bard smiled and said in an overly cheerful tone, “Hi, I'm called Stormsong. I just arrived in town.”

Sparrow eyed the happy singer suspiciously, “Sparrow. You ‘arrived’?” And then a bit more hopefully, “Has the Sahuagin blockade been broken?”

Stormsong said in an apologetic tone, “Oh no, I’m afraid not. I was taking an airship to Stormreach when it was attacked by a white dragon and crashed. Actually, I’m not entirely sure where I am.”

“In that case, welcome to Korthos Island. If there is a bright center to Xen’Drik, this is the farthest point from it.” Sparrow grew silent and blushed as her empty stomach rumbled.

Stormsong waved at a nearby wench and asked for two bowls of soup. When they arrived she passed one over to the glum Sparrow with a smile. Sparrow smiled through the confused look on her face and accepted the bowl of soup. The two of them ate in silence while trying to stay warm by the fire.

When the food was finished, Sparrow said, “Thank you.”

“I don’t suppose you know of any other work around here?”

“I’ve heard of two or three jobs, but it’s going to take a small team of skilled fights to make sure it gets done right.”

“So we need a proper adventuring group? If we look around maybe we could find a few more.”

“If you have a line on some work, I would be interested in joining in. I’ve been properly trained by the Knights of the Silver Flame. My name is Lurch. It’s a pleasure to meet you two young ladies”, interrupted the man who had been sitting on the other side of Sparrow.

With a twinkle in her eye that had been missing since she left Stormreach, Sparrow tried to look at both of her new friends at the same time, “Okay, I’ll line up a couple of jobs. If we can find one or two more to join us this might work.” Sparrow thought, maybe I will get paid on this trip after all, as Stormsong got up to start another set and Lurch waved over at the serving wench for another pint of watered down ale. Sparrow felt warmer and her foot began tapping to the music that Stormsong started playing.
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 10-21-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

Default Shuvall, Battle Brother and Vassal of Dol Arrah

Intro - Part 1

"You, boy. Where is the Vassal that minds the Shrine here?" came the voice from down the dock.
    Stepven looked up from his mending as the stranger approached his son. He was an elf, sure as rain, but the roughest looking elf Stepven had ever seen. Clad in battered chainmail that looked like it came from a tomb and holding a shield of similar ilk, but his most apparent feature were his oversized lavender eyes. Those eyes have seen too much death, thought Stepven, shuddering in the incessant chill.
    "Taken" said Stepven, matter of factly.
    "Taken?" said the elf, impatiently, "Taken by whom?"
    It was then that Stepven notice two things. The elf had a sword tattoo on his left and right cheek, beautiful work indeed. Like the kind sailors get in far off lands, but these were some how different. They had a slight metallic sheen to them and Stepven felt at ease when he looked at them, like he was somehow safer in their precense. The other thing was the elf's voice. A deep rich baratone, clear and resonant, but not intimidating. It reminded Stepven of a roll of thunder on a sunny day, out of place but still makes you take notice.
    "By 'dem Cultists, a few day ayore" said Stepven, continuing his mending carefully.
    " They came inna group, right at dusk iffen I recall rightly, and herded "im off in the direction of Spylooker Point. Ain't seen "em since"
    Stepven looked at the elf, who in turn looked back with a face full of questions and a touch of anger.
    "Which way is Skylooker Point, boy? By The Host, tell me!" commanded the elf as he fingered the pommel of the ornate longsword Stepven just notice hanging on his belt.
    "Thata way, along the coast it is" replied Stepven before he even realized he was speaking and pointing northward "You can't be missin it, lookin out over da water like a fishhook"
    "My thanks, boy. May the Light of Dol Arrah shine of you this day" said the elf. As he turn to leave. he flipped Stepven something from his hand.
    Stepven reached out and caught it, a shiny gold piece, and the real thing too!
    "Many 'tanks good sir. Mind the chill" said Stepven, pocketing the coin and thinking of the mulled wine and pork pie he was going to eat tonight.
    Stepven just then noticed Old Shaky off too his left, staring at him and smiling his single tooth grin.
    "Don't git none ideas Shaky. I ain't buyin ya no drinks unless ye helpin wit dee mendin" said Stepven and he meant it. Shaky was a lazy bugger, but could mend a net like no other.
    "Aintin why I smiling, boy" said Shaky, still grinning from ear to ear.
    "Why 'den " asked Stepven " are ya lookin like a pig in slop?
    "Boy, dat dere was a genuine Battle Brother of Dol Arrah. Call 'dem da "Sword Saints" on the mainland. Tough as nails and tar, dey are" cackled Shaky. "Imma guessing 'tings around 'ere are aboutin ta change fer da betta"

Default Short a few quests & Level separation.

Folks,

At the end of yesterday's planned quests the group I was in, was asked about any missing L2 quests and we ran one (or two) to help people catch up. Also, a quick look at the Level(s) in the guild, we are ranging from level 2 through level 6 (although I think our one L2 has been missing a few weeks). The level spread is not a problem yet, but much more than 2 levels can result in issues. To that end, I would like to suggest (this is only a suggestion) that we all get to Level 4 or 5 by next Sunday.

For my part, I'm missing the following L2 quests and will run through them this Tuesday starting at 7pm. Anyone who would like to join me (on main or alt) is welcome to join me. These will "catch me up" and should get me close to L5.

• The Sunken Sewer (from marketplace)
    • Missing in Action (Marketplace)
    • Information is Key (Harbor)
    • Stealthy Repossession (Harbor)

I have not yet succeeded in Stealthy Repossession, so any hints would be nice. I've got a couple of potions of invisibility which might help, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    Folks,

For my part, I'm missing the following L2 quests and will run through them this Tuesday starting at 7pm. Anyone who would like to join me (on main or alt) is welcome to join me. These will "catch me up" and should get me close to L5.

• The Sunken Sewer (from marketplace)
    • Missing in Action (Marketplace)
    • Information is Key (Harbor)
    • Stealthy Repossession (Harbor)

I have not yet succeeded in Stealthy Repossession, so any hints would be nice. I've got a couple of potions of invisibility which might help, but that's about it.
    I can run on Thursdays with my alt cleric, Sherokee. She needs Sunken Sewer and Missing in Action and Stealthy Repossession. I am tempted to skip SR since I am not stealthy and those kobolds give Sherokee the creeps (koboldphobia). With the right, small group we may be able to succeed however, using invisibility, protection, healing, and speed. I am willing to give it a shot.

The best way to get through SR may be with stealth, healing, protection (barkskin, blur) and some crowd control (fear, web, hypnosis) to keep the mobs off as much as possible and remove as much damage as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by DrowsworD View Post
    I can run on Thursdays with my alt cleric, Sherokee. She needs Sunken Sewer and Missing in Action and Stealthy Repossession. I am tempted to skip SR since I am not stealthy and those kobolds give Sherokee the creeps (koboldphobia). With the right, small group we may be able to succeed however, using invisibility, protection, healing, and speed. I am willing to give it a shot.

The best way to get through SR may be with stealth, healing, protection (barkskin, blur) and some crowd control (fear, web, hypnosis) to keep the mobs off as much as possible and remove as much damage as possible.

Dallog needs sunken sewer and missing in action. Stealthy repossession does not sound like Dallog's mug of beer since it is hard to be discriminating whilst cleaving with a great axe, but he's willing to try to help anyone else who wants to run it.

Default Deaths (musings about this past Sunday)

The team I was in yesterday suffered a couple of deaths and during both of the quests in the Cerulean Hills our Cleric commented that he was "down to echos". Both character death and heavy reliance on our Clerics' abilities to heal us are part of the limited resources game style we have set for ourselves in this group. I do think we could (probably) do better, though. To that end, I would like (us all) to discuss some ideas on how to approach quests.

As an example, our 3rd quest for the night (Kobold Assault) had more organization to it (although we did still lose someone). Specifically, we had a brief discussion about how to approach this quest and we followed the technique suggested by one of our team members. The suggestion amounted to a specific set of ambushes to take out the Kobolds before they could attack us (for the most part).

My thought is that a slower and more well planned approach to our quests might work better. Specifically, organize our parties (for a generic dungeon craw) with the stealthy characters taking the lead to identify traps & clusters of baddies. Once identified, they inform the rest of the party and the party sets an ambush. Using Bluff and "pinging" individual baddies to pull them out of a cluster and back to the ambush. This should let us take out the baddies easier with reduced injury to ourselves. This also give time to plan each attack and to make better use of buffs from our casters.

Some quests may require a different technique. For example the Kobold Assault quest; although we used ambushes we did not need stealth. Similarly, a more risky (but quicker) approach to timed quests would be appropriate. I am simply suggesting some guidelines for discussion here. So, what are your thoughts?

Braxyn is extremely unhappy with one of our group from last night. I will not be so gruff as to name names, you, and all in the group know.

You “died” multiple times last night, making our presence known to all enemies in the area and p!55ing them off just before you took the deep sleep to la-la land. You were told, on multiple occasions, to stop running ahead, to slow down, to stick with the group – which you ignored and put our cleric and others in harm’s way. This is not a solo adventure. This is not an outing for your pleasure to do as you want and be @#^^@& with the others.

We did persevere; rescued that woman and saved the man’s farm, although the one dog died and we didn’t find the others. At the keep, all those kobolds nearly tore us a new one or two, but we got through that one with several close calls.

We need new tactics to meet the situations we will face soon. No more running ahead of everyone, no more “deaths” because we were caught by a mob of enemies. We must play smart from now on or death will become a more permanent member of our group.

Drinks all round …. the dead guys buying.

Quote Originally Posted by DrowsworD View Post
    Braxyn is extremely unhappy with one of our group from last night. I will not be so gruff as to name names, you, and all in the group know.

You “died” multiple times last night, making our presence known to all enemies in the area and p!55ing them off just before you took the deep sleep to la-la land. You were told, on multiple occasions, to stop running ahead, to slow down, to stick with the group – which you ignored and put our cleric and others in harm’s way. This is not a solo adventure. This is not an outing for your pleasure to do as you want and be @#^^@& with the others.

We did persevere; rescued that woman and saved the man’s farm, although the one dog died and we didn’t find the others. At the keep, all those kobolds nearly tore us a new one or two, but we got through that one with several close calls.

We need new tactics to meet the situations we will face soon. No more running ahead of everyone, no more “deaths” because we were caught by a mob of enemies. We must play smart from now on or death will become a more permanent member of our group.

Drinks all round …. the dead guys buying.

You know people are running ahead when Lurch is the one yelling "slow down everyone!"

I thought we only had two deaths last night: Stormsinger in Captives, and Shuvall in Kobold Assualt. Captives started off a bit chaotically, but Storm's death helped us settle into a better pace. I think Shuvall just got a bad roll at the end there. He went down with literally 3 kobolds left to go.

Didn't we all survive Where there is smoke? I think I was the one who enraged the first dog. Dallog's intimidate failed and the dog got mad, but then when I tried to drag it toward the farmer, the pets had it blocked in and made short work of it. TBH I think that ended up being a good thing since Dallog could care less about farmer's dogs, and it meant we didn't spend time and resources trying to find the other two.

I'm a little confused why the hubbub over a couple of deaths in each group, especially since the groups still completed the quests. The only people really negatively impacted are the players who died. Is it our goal that no one will ever die in a quest?

On another note, Dallog is looking for any sort of great club or maul. He has a vanilla club one from the Hammer & Chain, but he's had no luck finding a magic one. If any agents of storm pull a maul or club they don't want, Dallog is willing to trade for it. Likewise, if anyone is looking for a particular weapon or armor, let Dallog know and he'll keep an eye open. He's been pulling a lot of sickles lately, so if anyone has a hankering for those...

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    You know people are running ahead when Lurch is the one yelling "slow down everyone!"

I'm a little confused why the hubbub over a couple of deaths in each group, especially since the groups still completed the quests. The only people really negatively impacted are the players who died. Is it our goal that no one will ever die in a quest?
    I'm not immediately concerned with the deaths themselves. These things will happen. It is my understanding that the STORM group was built to play the game through superior tactics and limit magic. From what I saw, except for once, the group I was in simply charged through the quests. In lower level quests (like we are doing now) this is not a big deal but in a couple of levels, it will be a problem. Now is the time to develop and practice our teamwork and techniques so we are ready for the harder quests to come.

Default Death and taxes... er... tactics....

Deaths will happen to even careful and experienced people, as Shuvall's unfortunate situation proves. A terrible piece of luck on the part of a practically dead Kobold at the very end of the battle! Lurch was truly stunned and heartbroken over the loss.

Still, death of a fellow adventurer is to be prevented if at all possible, Olladra willing, and the creek don't rise just as you are neck deep while wearing plate armor. If you need reasons, let me suggest that death plays havoc with the dead character's ability to complete some future chains, slows progress in gaining experience points, and leaves the party weaker by one dead person who provided one now missing set of critical skills and abilities. A dead character is not contributing to either their own progress, or to the progress of the others in the party and guild. Avoid death!

=====

The Cleric cannot rescue us from lucky monsters, nor can the Cleric keep everyone in long red bars with echos of power alone. Others must be ready to assist if possible. Lurch is a case in point.

The Paladin Lurch has very few spell points to use with his new Cure light Wounds spell, and only four Lay On Hands for those close enough to benefit. To be honest, I am still getting used to the idea that he can cast heals and use LOH in emergencies. He is generally too busy slicing and dicing evil critters to pay attention to his own HP bar, much less that of party members. He is a work in progress, and has much yet to learn about his duties. He prays that he will get better, quickly!

=====

We do need better tactics for engaging the enemy under a wide variety of circumstances. Exploring wilderness areas as a tight group instead of a widely scattered bunch of individuals is one place to start. Blue dots at the north, south, east, and west edges of the map are just asking for individual disasters! Leaving Lurch standing in front of a cave for ten minutes before telling him "I've already cleaned that one out" is not the way to garner favor with the old man either. When you rush ahead to "clean out" monster dens, you are zerging, not playing as a part of a team of five or six. FYI, a wilderness area is soloable, but not on game night, and not when in a party that has people who also need the XP from rares, explorers, and kills. A team works together.

Hazelnut has some good points about "how-to" on dealing with monsters in quests. We should all think about recent events, and how to play smarter.

-Sam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast