This is to announce the reboot of the low magic, gear restricted, D&D style gameplay group of STORM, which itself was an initiative brought forth by THACO guild members and other players wishing to try out the gamestyle.
For those unfamiliar with the ideaology behind this gamestyle it is simply this:
To take the magic rich, Monty Haul bonanaza of items and min/maxed, ship buffed, geared upped "toons" that permeate DDO and reduce-limit-restrict-bend them to more resemble old school PnP D&D. The exact nature of "old school" differs depending on who you ask, but I think it is safe to assume that we all wish for the same kind of "feel" to the game. It's not any particular edition of D&D that you might have used, since others may have used another. It's hard to articulate, but we all know it when we experience brief moments of it. That feeling of adventure and challenge with your team mates. Winning against tough odds facing a plethora of creatures. The joy of finding loot, gear and weapons that are wondrous in nature but oh so rare to come by. Gaining experience to become the type of adventurer character [not TOON] that you've envisioned. Be it a traditional pure class or some imaginative hybrid, you wish to imbue a character with abilities and history and tales to tell.
Classes and Races:
- Allowed races include everything f2p and Drow, Helf, Horc [not Warforged].
- Allowed classes include everything f2p [not Arti, Druid, Monk, FvSoul].
- Multiclassing is allowed but with no more than 2 levels difference between classes.
Whatever random method of number generation you feel comfortable with and FITS THE IDEA OF PnP. One suggestion is -
example is dwarf character
Step 1: Roll 1d6 six times (one 1d6 per stat)
roll #1: 1 build points (BPs)
roll #2: 2 BPs
roll #3: 1 BPs
roll #4: 5 BPs
roll #5: 3 BPs
roll #6: 2 BPs
Total BPs rolled are 14. I have 18 remaining.
Step 2: place racial modifiers to stats, assign build points (in any order) to stats and add to base stat. Stat = modbase + build points.
STR: 8 + 5 BPs = 13
DEX: 8 + 2 BPs = 10
CON: 10 + 3 BPs = 13
INT: 8 + 2 BPs = 10
WIS: 8 + 1 BPs = 9
CHA: 6 + 1 BPs = 7
Step 3: Allocate remaining build points as desired.
STR: 13 + 8BPs = 17
DEX: 10 + 1Bp = 11
CON: 13 + 7BPs = 18
INT: 10 + 2 BPs = 12
JUST NO MIN/MAX.
a dead character unable to be raised - rides in the pack of another until the end of the quest. The shade of the fallen following along until just before the end. [Or may exit the quest if so desires and solo in a wilderness, purely for adventure and not loot.] The dead character misses out on chest loot and the action but gets to share the adventure as a spirit. Near the end of the quest the dead character must release before the finish.
Result - The dead are carried by another. Release before completion.
No XP. No loot. No loss of gear.
a dead character unable to be raised - rides in the pack of another until the end of the quest. The shade of the fallen following along until just before the end. The dead character misses out on chest loot and the action but gets to share the adventure as a spirit. After quest completion the dead release. The dead character will choose his highest ML item [or 1 of his highest if multiple items have same ML], post it in party chat so that the group may see what it is, and then destroy it.
Result - The dead are carried by another. The shade of the fallen following along, and finishes with the party. The fallen destroy the highest ML item in possession after Release. He must declare what item and show it in party chat so that all may see, and destroy it.
Full XP. No loot. Loss of highest ML gear [destroyed].
a dead character, whose soul stone is unable to be retrieved shall be left behind. He must Release from the quest.
Result - The dead are left behind if their stone is unretrievable. They must Release immediately from the quest. After Release they must destroy ALL items EQUIPPED only.
No XP. No loot. Loss of all equipped gear. [destroyed]
Level 1-7 = no shrine use - Echoes of Power will keep you running.
Level 8-14 = 1 shrine use per quest for mana restoration only - caster needs to be nearly fully healed [no more than 10hp down] before use.
Level 15-20 = no shrine use - by this time a dedicated caster should have SLA's and/or the ability to restore some magic.
Chests and Looting:
- ALL chests get 1, 1d6 roll. A 1 [16.6% chance] only allows the chest to be looted by all. Roll by round robin, starting with party leader at the first chest.
- End Rewards can only be taken for Chained quests, otherwise select Valor.
- Any loot drops from crates or barrels can be kept by the breaker.
Gear and packs:
- No gear or magic items may be bought at vendors, pawn shops or AH.
- No gear or magic items may come in from the DDO store or other characters from outside the group.
- No "admin" or "heirloom" items.
- total number of gear/items equipped and carried = ML total.
Level 1-5; ML = level x 2
Level 6-10; ML = level x3
Level 11-15; ML = level x4
Level 16-20; ML = level x5
- Fortification items get reduced ML. Multiply ML by the fort %, and round up.
Weapon sets equipped and carried in pack:
- Whatever seems appropriate and fits the role play of your character.
SOME SUGGESTIONS -
- 2 main weapons
- 2 secondary weapons [light at most]
- 1 shield carried
- other shield [stowed]
- 1 bow [xbow]
- 1 quiver [wide or narrow]
- Each player only gets to CARRY INTO A QUEST, ONE article of gear for each armor/wearable equip slot that is large and or covers the body. So ONE piece of armor, outfit or robe, ONE headgear, ONE set of bracers, ONE cloak, ONE set of boots.
- Each player can CARRY INTO A QUEST, two pair of smaller items, so TWO pair of Gloves, Rings, Necklaces, Trinkets, etc.
- the FIRST pack tab is the ONLY tab accessible WHILE IN A QUEST OR WILDERNESS. The others act as quick banks or pack mule or porter or whatever you wish to role play [NOTE this means acquired items in quest can be PUT INTO other tabs to carry, just not ACCESSIBLE.] Only Magic Ingredients are the exception and may be carried in any tab.
- If a character is lucky enough to acquire a Portable Hole, that converted pack space could be used as such. Any bags such as Gems, Collectibles or Essences that are gotten in game are allowed [from quest givers or vendors], but cannot be purchased through the DDO store.
- No potions of any type may be bought from vendors, AH or alts.
- Found potions of any type can be kept, but are limited to 5 STACKS of 16 of any type brought into a quest AT START. = 5 pint sized canteens/flagons. They can be carried from quest to quest.
Healing/cure items can be obtained from collectors provided you got the collectibles from questing. No collectibles (or rewards from collectibles) allowed from outside sources such as AH or alts.
Wands and Scrolls:
- Wands and Scrolls found in quests can be used within the quest and can be kept from quest to quest. The ML level COUNTS towards ML total.
Odds and Ends:
- Finish and Recall OK
- movement mode, as fits the situation
- any enhancement choice
The spirit of PnP D&D is the desired goal of Agents of STORM. We choose to limit ourselves in this gamespace called DDO, in an attempt to recapture the imagination, adventure, challenge and comraderie that made playing PnP D&D so much fun.
The gloomy Darkness of Shadowfell spills out onto the streets and lands of Stormreach, clutching at the hearts of all good people.
Look to the horizon citizens. An approaching STORM will soon wash over the city, cleansing it of evil. And when we pass, the dawn of a new day will shine out all the brighter.