Community Member

Default 3 lives of bard. Worth it?

I have so far banged out 2 lives of Bard. Ideally I'd like the +6 saves to enchantments and Illusions. I'm just at the end of my second life and getting ready to TR. Thing is, I can't stand bard! It's totally not my play style at all! Will the +4 be good enough, or should I grind out those 2 more?

Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post
    I have so far banged out 2 lives of Bard. Ideally I'd like the +6 saves to enchantments and Illusions. I'm just at the end of my second life and getting ready to TR. Thing is, I can't stand bard! It's totally not my play style at all! Will the +4 be good enough, or should I grind out those 2 more?
    If you hate doing it, the +4 should suffice, since most people do pretty well without any bard lives.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Community Member

That last incomplete bard life is gonna nag at ya. Gonna get under your skin, slowly gnaw at you. Finish what you started and grind out that last bard life, then put bard to rest forever. In for a penny, in for a pound!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adelair View Post
    That last incomplete bard life is gonna nag at ya. Gonna get under your skin, slowly gnaw at you. Finish what you started and grind out that last bard life, then put bard to rest forever. In for a penny, in for a pound!
    *sigh* yeah...

I know it'll be awesome to have that +6. Can't decide what to do next though. Thinking Barb, maybe druid.

Thing is, I can't stand bard! It's totally not my play style at all!
    I find this to be an odd statement, just because I believe Bards can be good at so many playstyles, save maybe a damage spellcaster. You can go pure, multiclass, CC, melee, trap, ranged....

But, that's just me. I could build 6 Bards and not get bored with the class.

I think that if it's going to nag at you, you should do it, but maybe do those Barb and Druid lives in between to break it up for you. I don't think the Bard PL is that great, but different strokes and all...
    Pallai, Saraphima, Chennai
    Ascent, Argo
    No fancy formatting for you!

Community Member whereispowderedsilve's Avatar

*sigh* yeah...

I know it'll be awesome to have that +6. Can't decide what to do next though. Thinking Barb, maybe druid.
    Totally just throwing ____ out there: 8 bard/6 barb/6 whatever(6 Rogue/6 Ranger/6 Cleric/6 FvS/6 Fighter) *lots* of options! :P! ! ! Cheers!/Good luck!
    http://dillonpfaff5.wix.com/theob Sign this!!!: http://goo.gl/vS6htg

DDO toll free support phone#: 855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637)

Community Member

Yeah i get that it's a well rounded class, but that's whats not my style. I'd probably like it in D&D, but in DDO, It stinks... for me. I am however thinking of doing a multiclass for my last life, and was thinking of 8bard/6barb/6ranger. Not sure if I'd be gimping myself though. I'm not the best at multiclassing. Thinking at least 12 bard/8barbarian. since my main issue with bard is that I can't seem to hit too hard, but this is coming from 3 lives of kensei speced for dps, then 3 lives of ranger speced for ranged dps. So far I haven't been able to seem to hit as hard even with all my fancy buffs.

But yeah, I'm just thinkin outloud and bouncin my thought off yáll more experienced players...

Yeah i get that it's a well rounded class, but that's whats not my style. I'd probably like it in D&D, but in DDO, It stinks... for me. I am however thinking of doing a multiclass for my last life, and was thinking of 8bard/6barb/6ranger. Not sure if I'd be gimping myself though. I'm not the best at multiclassing. Thinking at least 12 bard/8barbarian. since my main issue with bard is that I can't seem to hit too hard, but this is coming from 3 lives of kensei speced for dps, then 3 lives of ranger speced for ranged dps. So far I haven't been able to seem to hit as hard even with all my fancy buffs.

But yeah, I'm just thinkin outloud and bouncin my thought off yáll more experienced players...
    I can't understand how so many players enjoy melee but, dislike Bard.

self buffing, fascinating, self healing...what's not to like?

I played a TWF 2/fighter 2/rogue 16/bard Warchanter on my 5th life long ago and had no problem keeping up with the kill count of other Multi TR Melees in group. WAY better than Paladin IMHO

all I can say if your not enjoying Bard as a Melee your probably doing it wrong.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanngiostr View Post
    all I can say if your not enjoying Bard as a Melee your probably doing it wrong.
    See thats what I'm thinking. But I started with high STR, 16 i think. Pump up my STR as much as possible, use my buffs, cast haste on myself, use good weapons etc, but still can't hit as well as i could as a fighter or ranger. (actually I can hit about as good as my tempest ranger). I do love the self healing! I'd like at least a few more damaging spells. That may be all it would take to get me to like the class better.

See thats what I'm thinking. But I started with high STR, 16 i think. Pump up my STR as much as possible, use my buffs, cast haste on myself, use good weapons etc, but still can't hit as well as i could as a fighter or ranger. (actually I can hit about as good as my tempest ranger). I do love the self healing! I'd like at least a few more damaging spells. That may be all it would take to get me to like the class better.
    I had done Fighter 1st Barb 2nd Paladin 3rd Ranger 4th by the time I got to Bard I just built it around the same TWF concept I had used in each life... in fact I am still using the same concept in my TWF lives and most of the same gear give or take.

I would do it differently now though probably go 8 fighter (first) then 4 Arti and 8 Bard< this is just my personal preference< thinking Kensii, traps, repeater for ranged option, songs. (I have a few GS repeaters why Arti instead of rogue)

** I have been Splashing Arti instead of Rogue for a while now and love it

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanngiostr View Post
    I had done Fighter 1st Barb 2nd Paladin 3rd Ranger 4th by the time I got to Bard I just built it around the same TWF concept I had used in each life... in fact I am still using the same concept in my TWF lives and most of the same gear give or take.

I would do it differently now though probably go 8 fighter (first) then 4 Arti and 8 Bard< this is just my personal preference< thinking Kensii, traps, repeater for ranged option, songs. (I have a few GS repeaters why Arti instead of rogue)

** I have been Splashing Arti instead of Rogue for a while now and love it
    Bard can be hit or miss. I played a Cha based THF, didn't hit too hard, had to LR.
    Played a Str based TWF, hit hard enough but felt unversatile,
    Played a TWF + Manyshot, had alot more fun,
    then lastly playing a Pure Cha based Bard with TWF, and the strongest out of the 4. Can lead kill counts even without Epic destiny due to Wail also.

I love bard now.

Why I choose bard? Because I wanted a Melee character, but I also wanted self heals.
    Can't imagine playing a Fighter that couldn't self heal now.
    Is the +6 Enchantment saves worth it? Not to me, i find it horrible imo..

Druid was a pain though for me though.. The switching back and forth from animal form causing the frame rate delays..
    I enjoy Bard better than Druid.
    Last edited by supott; 10-13-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Personally I don't find the bard pl to be worth much of anything. Fom, prot evil protect against hold and command, dancing balls are pretty much all that's going to get you with will saves, and you can gust those away with either a wind spell, break enchant, in either spell, scroll, or clicky versions.

If you enjoyed playing the bard class it would be a different story but since you don't enjoy it and it doesn't provide a major benefit, I wouldn't do it. Maybe if you get to the point where you are just that one bard life away from triple completionist it'd be a different story.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

You can have great fun multi-classing a bard. I did 2 of my 3 bard lives with basically the same build. Posted it up on the Ghallanda forums a while back.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...her-bard-build

It's a copy and paste from our guild forums so it's a bit verbose in explaining the thinking behind it and what the options were - and it's using the old enhancement system - but it'll give you the idea for what works well as a solid multi-class build.